2011 Stanley Cup Finals

Taro T

Rick, does it have to do with the child poverty level in downtown Vancouver? I know that is a major problem, I just didn't know it the two were related. Maybe not, as some of the DBs flipping cars were wearing jerseys.

here's how it is in a nutshell.

Vancouver is a small major city. People come from outlying areas, Surrey, Burnaby, New Westminster, Delta, Richmond and other cities. They are all 30 mins by train and/or car.

Kids come down because they know it's "the place to be" and obviously hoped for a win. But the people causing trouble aren't true fans. They are punks. They are looking to cause shite and that's the problem. They shut the liquor stores down in Vancouver but that doesn't stop other cities serving drinks.

It's a mob mentality and it escalates quickly. Booze, testosterone and it's on. Not fans though. Not representative of the Canucks.

I'd venture to say that of the 100000 people downtown tonight, well over half of them are not from Vancouver. It's sad, it's sick and it's losers getting out of control. Truly the majority of the people are there for fun and are good people and it's always a small portion that ruin it for everyone.

This riot is fueled by hipsters, drunks, and punk middle class teens. The girlfriend and I are just sitting here watching the feed on CTV.ca and we're just appalled. Why can't they just go drink the bars dry like we do in Buffalo?

I hope Vancouver NEVER wins a Cup now. They don't deserve it.

Ive been watching the CTV feed as well. Some crazy stuff.

It never fails. In the end, the Stanley Cup finals is a physical game, not a finesse one.

Hopefully Darcy's paying attention.

I feel that penalties are penalties and should be called regardless of the game or situation. This league calls all the stuff all year long and in the end they let anything go in the final game? I don't like it one bit. The Bruins won and deserved it but they were always going to do better if penalties weren't called. But the Canucks were outscored 3-2 by Boston's pk'ers so .......

here's how it is in a nutshell.

Vancouver is a small major city. People come from outlying areas, Surrey, Burnaby, New Westminster, Delta, Richmond and other cities. They are all 30 mins by train and/or car.

Kids come down because they know it's "the place to be" and obviously hoped for a win. But the people causing trouble aren't true fans. They are punks. They are looking to cause shite and that's the problem. They shut the liquor stores down in Vancouver but that doesn't stop other cities serving drinks.

It's a mob mentality and it escalates quickly. Booze, testosterone and it's on. Not fans though. Not representative of the Canucks.

I'd venture to say that of the 100000 people downtown tonight, well over half of them are not from Vancouver. It's sad, it's sick and it's losers getting out of control. Truly the majority of the people are there for fun and are good people and it's always a small portion that ruin it for everyone.

Yikes. Stay classy Vancouver.

post-884-078008700 1308200651_thumb.jpg post-884-093040900 1308200717_thumb.jpg post-884-061747400 1308200756_thumb.jpg post-884-019704600 1308200832_thumb.jpg

You guys kill me. That's really not much of a riot. It looks more like a party with a bonfire.

Was that a couple on a date I saw in the "live team coverage"?

Maybe not for a guy from NT......:nana:

Actually, seems like it got a little crazy.......Link

Wow, love how everyone automatically attacks the "20 something hipsters." I guess that is your new word for hippies. So no one over 30 is there? And i was lambasted for saying "classless Canadians."

Are you watching the footage? Because if you were that's what you'd see. These kids are 14-21 at best, bucking rocks through storefronts, banks, and looting The Bay. Running around showing off their boards to the cameras. There was a dude in skinny jeans swinging from a stop light.

All the adults are gone. They got the heck out. The remainder is drunk bros and hipsters and their idiot girlfriends.

And hipsters aren't hippies. Hippies don't start riots. Hipsters just smoke weed and wear glasses with fake lenses because it's trendy.

This riot is fueled by hipsters, drunks, and punk middle class teens. The girlfriend and I are just sitting here watching the feed on CTV.ca and we're just appalled. Why can't they just go drink the bars dry like we do in Buffalo?

I hope Vancouver NEVER wins a Cup now. They don't deserve it.

You don't think this will happen in Buffalo if the Bills or Sabres win?

My point was it doesn't matter what he has said or done/ not done. I viewed it as disrespectful to the game and the accomplishments the Bruin players had just achieved. In one word "classless."

The word you should be looking for is Deserved.............Bettman is a douchebag and has treated his Canadian fans like garbage and second rate citizens and deserves that response and will be getting it for the rest of his life in Canada, and you can take that to the bank.

The word you should be looking for is Deserved.............Bettman is a douchebag and has treated his Canadian fans like garbage and second rate citizens and deserves that response and will be getting it for the rest of his life in Canada, and you can take that to the bank.

Well they sure proved him wrong.

I cannot f-ing believe these a-hole NBC douchebags. "Can Boston still use the motivation from Horton's injury to catapult them to the Cup?" WTF????? Has anyone heard of Mason Raymond, or even Aaron Rome who has been gone as well as Horton???? This is just disgusting if you ask me. How can Boston "overcome"? Give me a freaking break. I bleed Red White and Blue just like any true American, but this overkill on Boston's shortcomings is brutal. This may be the only time I want to see the Cup back in it's home country. :wallbash: And take Milbury, Roenick and NBC with you.

Just trying to keep the non-hockey fan tuned in.

You don't think this will happen in Buffalo if the Bills or Sabres win?

No. Because that's just not how Buffalo sports fans are. We're used to heart breaking loss. We've suffered it many times and it's never ended in burning cars and street brawls. If the city of Buffalo ever wins a championship it will be a party, not a riot. Because if there's one thing people here are good at, it's partying.

No. Because that's just not how Buffalo sports fans are. We're used to heart breaking loss. We've suffered it many times and it's never ended in burning cars and street brawls. If the city of Buffalo ever wins a championship it will be a party, not a riot. Because if there's one thing people here are good at, it's partying.

I think it would take almost a month for the shock to wear off but, yeah, we would throw one doozy of a party after one of our teams won.

But By all means when we've lost in the past, the only awful thing that's happened is a major decrease in production at work the following days. No MAJOR riots...we're classier than that...just saying

Riiiiiight.

Bruins were the better team for sure tonight.

Sadly, the loss by Vancouver has once again given the punks and thugs another reason to act like just that.

I was hoping the Canucks would win for obvious reasons but another was because I didn't want a repeat of the riots in 94. But the losers always go where they can have their mob mentality and it's happened again.

Cars on fire. Police cars flipped.

I am disgusted by the 20 somethings who are making Vancouver look like East LA. Embarrassing and disgusting.

It always happens, win or lose, but I really thought after the Olympics and the way the City acted, that this wouldn't happen again.

Gotta wonder how the parents of these kids jumping on cars are feeling because they are all over the news.

Truly sad.

What else is to be expected when you allow "lawlessness" on the ice? It translates directly to "we're pissed so we're going to destroy something". I've been an NHL fan for 46 years and last night's debacle was one of the worst games I ever saw. I understand all about "putting the whistle away" and "letting the players decide it", but on at least three occasions, players (on both sides) were hit hard in or around the head and none of those were called. During the regular season, at least one of them would be a match penalty and an ejection. Earlier in the playoffs, those would have been at least minors. But to blatantly ignore them? After all of the press about eliminating head shots and concussions? It makes me physically ill.

Obviously, the league has decided that it can't attract new fans with skillful plays, fast skating and regular old body checking. They're going after the least common denominator and it showed in the fans' reaction in Vancouver after the game. Perhaps the "master marketer", Gary Bettman, should enter an advertising partnership with the WWE - they certainly are trying to appeal to the same fan base.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and I tend to value health more than I did in my 20s, 30s or even 40s, but if this is what the league wants to pawn off as "hockey", I'll have to say, "No, thanks!". The sight of Mason Raymond standing in the hallway wearing a back brace ought to have driven home the point - someone out there is going to get REALLY seriously injured or, God forbid, killed on the ice. The Stones may have hit the nail on the head years ago:

"If I could stick my pen in my heart, And spill it all over the stage;

Would it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya, Would you think the boy is strange? Ain't he strange?"

Good luck with that, Gary. You won't be seeing any of my money for a very long time....

What else is to be expected when you allow "lawlessness" on the ice? It translates directly to "we're pissed so we're going to destroy something". I've been an NHL fan for 46 years and last night's debacle was one of the worst games I ever saw. I understand all about "putting the whistle away" and "letting the players decide it", but on at least three occasions, players (on both sides) were hit hard in or around the head and none of those were called. During the regular season, at least one of them would be a match penalty and an ejection. Earlier in the playoffs, those would have been at least minors. But to blatantly ignore them? After all of the press about eliminating head shots and concussions? It makes me physically ill.

Obviously, the league has decided that it can't attract new fans with skillful plays, fast skating and regular old body checking. They're going after the least common denominator and it showed in the fans' reaction in Vancouver after the game. Perhaps the "master marketer", Gary Bettman, should enter an advertising partnership with the WWE - they certainly are trying to appeal to the same fan base.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and I tend to value health more than I did in my 20s, 30s or even 40s, but if this is what the league wants to pawn off as "hockey", I'll have to say, "No, thanks!". The sight of Mason Raymond standing in the hallway wearing a back brace ought to have driven home the point - someone out there is going to get REALLY seriously injured or, God forbid, killed on the ice. The Stones may have hit the nail on the head years ago:

Would it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya, Would you think the boy is strange? Ain't he strange?"

Good luck with that, Gary. You won't be seeing any of my money for a very long time....

I really have no idea what game you watched last night.

Are you really trying to justify the rioting by those idiots in the streets of Vancouver because of poor officiating and Gary Bettman? Sorry, but that is absolutely ridiculous.

What else is to be expected when you allow "lawlessness" on the ice? It translates directly to "we're pissed so we're going to destroy something". ...................

[/i]Good luck with that, Gary. You won't be seeing any of my money for a very long time....

I think it would be a mistake to think that much of the riot has anything to do with hockey.

Are you really trying to justify the rioting by those idiots in the streets of Vancouver because of poor officiating and Gary Bettman? Sorry, but that is absolutely ridiculous.

No - you completely miss my point. There is no excuse or justification for what those Vancouver "fans" did last night. There is also no justification to elbow a player in the back of the head knocking him to the ice when the puck is 30 feet away. So, let's just ignore any rules or laws because they get in the way of us enjoying ourselves.

Perhaps I am getting a little too old to be a fan of hockey any more. I guess I will take up knitting...

Archived