Game Discussion Thread: Flyers at Sabres

Assquatch

Yeah there is a Game 7 on Tuesday and yeah the Sabres could win and advance, but make no mistake about it, if it wasn't for Miller throwing a couple of shutouts at them, this series would have already been over.

Could someone explain Lindy's system to me? This team is just terrible in their own end, has been all year, the year before that and many years before that. I don't know if it is because they don't want to pay the price, they fold under pressure or are not in the right position, but whatever it is, I don't see it as much from the other playoff teams on such a consistent basis.

I just think Filly's forecheck is that freaking good. I really do.

Yeah there is a Game 7 on Tuesday and yeah the Sabres could win and advance, but make no mistake about it, if it wasn't for Miller throwing a couple of shutouts at them, this series would have already been over.

Could someone explain Lindy's system to me? This team is just terrible in their own end, has been all year, the year before that and many years before that. I don't know if it is because they don't want to pay the price, they fold under pressure or are not in the right position, but whatever it is, I don't see it as much from the other playoff teams on such a consistent basis.

Agreed Miller has kept them in this series they get up 3 in games and goalie switch seems to get them acting stupid. I hate and have hated our own zone play for years as well as the PP and crappy zine play witha team talented like flyers forwards is killing us.

Let's get this straight: this is the Philadelphia Flyers the Sabres are playing, not Toronto or Ottawa. This was guaranteed to be a tight series, because the Flyers are GOOD. WTF? Of course the Sabres D has break-downs against the Flyers offense. Of course the Flyers are going to fight to come back and win these games - what do you expect them to do, lay down and go quietly?

This isn't a melt-down like Boston last season; the Sabres are putting up a fight against the odds.

I don't think people are necessarily complaining that the Sabres lost today and are going to a game 7. Yes, the Flyers are a good hockey team, but I think it's how they lost that has everyone so frustrated. You just can't be up 2-0 and 3-1 at HOME in game 6 of the playoffs and lose. You can't do that. And it's the second game in a row they've done it (I don't think the OT goal in game 5 means you can forget the lead they gave up). It's simply inexcusable.

I don't think people are necessarily complaining that the Sabres lost today and are going to a game 7. Yes, the Flyers are a good hockey team, but I think it's how they lost that has everyone so frustrated. You just can't be up 2-0 and 3-1 at HOME in game 6 of the playoffs and lose. You can't do that. And it's the second game in a row they've done it (I don't think the OT goal in game 5 means you can forget the lead they gave up). It's simply inexcusable.

Agreed.

So while it would be nice for Miller to win, i'm not counting on it, as of yet he has yet to prove he is a big game performer.

:death: . . . only because I couldn't find an emoticon shooting himself in the head. How idiotic.

The "defense" has to do a much better job than this, particularly clearing the zone quicker. More help from the forwards would be nice too.

^This.

Philly has four lines that can forecheck. There is simply little respite for a young, inexperienced, and not that talented D corp. Philly is simply a better team. There is no shame in that. Indeed, our boys have shown a ton just getting this to seven.

There was a time that a mostly young team with a few gritty vets sprinkled in would play over their heads and our fans would appreciate that. And they'd show that appreciation with chants of, "Thank-you Sabres! Thank-you Sabres! Thank-you Sabres!"

We have a chance to extend our post season on Tuesday. What's not to like? This is ALL gravy given our start and the limited talent on this team.

GO SABRES!!!

Well, I'll be damned; I was the smartass who rhetorically asked whether the Canucks should bench Luongo. Guess what has happened?

A GOLD Medal winner, and I beleive a Vezina finalist, getting benched for a game six? You gotta give Alain Vigneault a great deal of credit because if it doesn't work he will bet crucified.

Agreed Miller has kept them in this series they get up 3 in games and goalie switch seems to get them acting stupid. I hate and have hated our own zone play for years as well as the PP and crappy zine play witha team talented like flyers forwards is killing us.

Miller has definitely kept them in the series, it's the Philly forecheck. Gosh, they had 45 shots or something in regulation and a number were quality shots from close in. Miller won them two games himself and made a lot of critical saves. Now he's not above criticism and has let a soft goal or two, but his play is something they can build off in the future, not worry about. Regardless of their finish this year, they are set a goaltender (and backup) for the next couple of years.

this is starting to look like 2006 ECF all over again we win game 1 and cant seem to win critical games at home now onto oppositions home for game 7 and now frwards falling like flies. Its time to sit Monty hope Sekera can play.

Also if someone doesnt start worrying about brier hanging back on plays they better be damn sure the puck gets out of the zone. Please someone squish that little mother

Buffalo won 2 home games that series, including game 6 (Briere OT winner.)

Miller has definitely kept them in the series, it's the Philly forecheck. Gosh, they had 45 shots or something in regulation and a number were quality shots from close in. Miller won them two games himself and made a lot of critical saves. Now he's not above criticism and has let a soft goal or two, but his play is something they can build off in the future, not worry about. Regardless of their finish this year, they are set a goaltender (and backup) for the next couple of years.

Imagine if Philly had a good goalie like Miller. They'd probably be 82-0 just like that annoying commercial (Caution: sarcasm included)

A GOLD Medal winner, and I beleive a Vezina finalist, getting benched for a game six? You gotta give Alain Vigneault a great deal of credit because if it doesn't work he will bet crucified.

Why do I have to give Vigneault credit? What has he won?

Vigneault < Ruff.

Lindy's system is he's got the Sabres coaching job for life, and if ya don't like it, you can get outta town!

I totally agree with the fact that if Philly even had mediocre goaltending, the score would have been much much worse. Time to give it everything they got. God, has Boyes fit in perfectly with all the trade deadline moves the Sabres have made over the last 3 years.......

You're not the only one. There's a reason why Philly was the last team that I wanted to be playing in the first round. You don't have this good of a season relying on your goalies. They have the talent up front to win despite the their three headed goalie monster. Make no joke, we're definitely not the more talented team in this series and we shouldn't have made it this far.

But here we are, so let's hope this Sabres team has the answers in a monster Game 7.

You're not the only one. There's a reason why Philly was the last team that I wanted to be playing in the first round. You don't have this good of a season relying on your goalies. They have the talent up front to win despite the their three headed goalie monster. Make no joke, we're definitely not the more talented team in this series and we shouldn't have made it this far.

But here we are, so let's hope this Sabres team has the answers in a monster Game 7.

Well, I'll confess that Filly is one of the teams that I DID want the Sabres to draw in the first round, mostly because of goaltending weaknesses (the others were Tampa and Washington). Laviolette's switcheroo game is about to end, though (I think the Sabres have seen enough of each goalie, including Silent Bob, whom I wouldn't be surprised to see in net Tuesday), and damn, the team was close to making my 4-2 prediction correct.

Anyway. F it. Win Tuesday, dammit!!!!!

Well, I'll confess that Filly is one of the teams that I DID want the Sabres to draw in the first round, mostly because of goaltending weaknesses (the others were Tampa and Washington). Laviolette's switcheroo game is about to end, though (I think the Sabres have seen enough of each goalie, including Silent Bob, whom I wouldn't be surprised to see in net Tuesday), and damn, the team was close to making my 4-2 prediction correct.

That's the spirit! :pirate:

For putting the best interests of his team ahead of the ego of his star goalie. I doubt Ruff has the ballz to make that move.

You're taking a HUGE leap by insinuating that benching Luongo is "in the best interests of his team." It's certainly not a fact, and I'd be curious to know just how many "hockey experts" agree with the decision.

Making "risky" moves just for the sake of shaking up a team isn't, by itself, deserving of praise. Sounds like more of a panicked, knee-jerk reaction than anything else, actually.

For putting the best interests of his team ahead of the ego of his star goalie. I doubt Ruff has the ballz to make that move.

You're assuming a LOT. I think Luongo gives Vancouver the best chance to win, and I think AV made a mistake by putting Schneider out there. Sure, the team might win in spite of said mistake, but it's still a mistake. Weren't you just singing Lu's praises a few minutes ago?

Lavvy already announced Boucher.

Lavvy already announced Boucher.

And after the Sabres hang three on him in the first, do you expect Leighton or Silent Bob? (I didn't say whom I thought would start!) I'm betting Silent Bob.

EDIT: That's Laviolette's only game: unfamiliar goaltenders. The rest is his team's great forechecking.

Why do I have to give Vigneault credit? What has he won?

Vigneault < Ruff.

Ballsy yes, but let's not put the cart in front of the horse and call it a good move. He hasn't even won the game he made the move in yet.

Ballsy yes, but let's not put the cart in front of the horse and call it a good move. He hasn't even won the game he made the move in yet.

I didn't call it a "good move." I am simply acknowledging a coach who decided to bench a big ticket star goalie in an important playoff game. Time will tell if the move works. Alain Vigneault made a decision that many other coaches wouldn't even consider because of the potential criticism or possibly losing their job.

Archived