Game Discussion Thread: Flyers at Sabres

Assquatch

I didn't call it a "good move." I am simply acknowledging a coach who decided to bench a big ticket star goalie in an important playoff game. Time will tell if the move works. Alain Vigneault made a decision that many other coaches wouldn't even consider because of the potential criticism or possibly losing their job.

Time told. It didn't.

I didn't call it a "good move." I am simply acknowledging a coach who decided to bench a big ticket star goalie in an important playoff game. Time will tell if the move works. Alain Vigneault made a decision that many other coaches wouldn't even consider because of the potential criticism or possibly losing their job.

Sorry, didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I thought giving him credit meant we were calling it a "good move."

As I seek the solace of a silver lining in this thing, Derek Roy is going to save the season for us? Connoly's alter-ego when it comes to regular-season scoring prowess followed by playoff disappearances? He's the playoff "Anti-Gerbe."

[/quote team.

Having a fresh player for game seven could be an advantage.

Everyone really needs to calm down. The Sabres have played the exact same game in all six games so far. Miller has played the exact same game in all six games. We won three, they won three. That's it. Ruff is no better or worse than he was on Friday and the same is true for Miller. If we score more than Philly on Tuesday, we win the series. Have some fun.

I also want to say that in a one game series,.. I'll take Miller.

Everyone really needs to calm down. The Sabres have played the exact same game in all six games so far. Miller has played the exact same game in all six games. We won three, they won three. That's it. Ruff is no better or worse than he was on Friday and the same is true for Miller. If we score more than Philly on Tuesday, we win the series. Have some fun.

It worked in the Olympics :doh:

To add to that, we've won 2 out of 3 in Philly, and they've won 2 out of 3 in Buffalo. There has been no "home ice advantage", it's more of a home ice disadvantage. This is STILL ours to take, and I like our chances.

The problem in those 3 losses is one seen all season. The defense (D and forwards alike) take a shift or 2 off and give up a lazy goal. Just like the game against the Predators in March, we had a 2 goal lead with under 3 minutes to go and lost. This team has had trouble holding onto leads all season. It was rare that they went for the jugular and actually got it.

Nice, lol, glad you don't play for the Sabres....... :thumbdown:

Sorry but we've been outplayed every game of the series, most of them pretty badly, and Philly hasn't even really come close to playing their best hockey. Momentum is on their side, home ice is on their side, experience in Game 7's is on their side, star power is on their side, leadership is on their side, skill is on their side. I don't see Philly not showing up on Tuesday, but wouldn't be shocked one bit if the fragile little children (to steal one from Ryan) from Buffalo are too mentally soft to overcome heartbreak like that. Not to mention being down our #1 PK'er and best center in the series so far.

Also Richards hit on Connolly was hardly suspension worthy. Probably not even 5 minute worthy. Refs got it right imo. This coming from biggest Connolly on fan on the board.

PS Roy should have been a man and asked to play.

Sorry but we've been outplayed every game of the series, most of them pretty badly, and Philly hasn't even really come close to playing their best hockey. Momentum is on their side, home ice is on their side, experience in Game 7's is on their side, star power is on their side, leadership is on their side, skill is on their side. I don't see Philly not showing up on Tuesday, but wouldn't be shocked one bit if the fragile little children (to steal one from Ryan) from Buffalo are too mentally soft to overcome heartbreak like that. Not to mention being down our #1 PK'er and best center in the series so far.

Also Richards hit on Connolly was hardly suspension worthy. Probably not even 5 minute worthy. Refs got it right imo. This coming from biggest Connolly on fan on the board.

PS Roy should have been a man and asked to play.

You should put this post in your siggy when the Sabres win on Tuesday........ :thumbsup:

You should put this post in your siggy when the Sabres win on Tuesday........ :thumbsup:

They should staple it to the ###### locker room door at practice tomorrow, maybe the shadows that we call players will find some ###### heart. I'm talking Boyes. Gaustad. Grier (has Grier even been playing, seriously?) It'd be nice if our defense got some balls, too. Don't use your ###### stick to play defense, use your body. Butler.

The sky is always grey and cloudy in Buffalo, even when the Sabres are still alive. :thumbdown:

These have all been one-goal games, and the series is tied, but yet, somehow, the Sabres have been "outplayed" all series? :blink:

Just prior to the final goal today, which team was facing elimination? :rolleyes:

I know some of you who actually follow this board may recall that I am no Miller cheerleader (and certainly not an apologist for him), and I am here to tell you that Miller is not the reason they lose these leads. There are still remnants of whatever it is they came into the season with that made them think they could ease off when up on an opponent.

Strictly speaking, the Sabres still have a 50% chance of winning game 7 and the series.

Something came to me a bit ago: Tuesday night is one of the biggest games in this team's history. I was angry all afternoon and evening like everyone else, but you know what? In January we were nowhere. Now we all get a chance to see history made. One could choose to mope and focus on what didn't happen today.

I'm going to choose to believe Butler learns from his mistake and plays above his head to make amends. I'm going to choose to believe Boyes finally breaks through. I'm going to choose to believe Roy comes back and makes an impact. I'm going to choose to believe Miller plays up to the level he did in game 4. I'm going to choose to believe Lindy has this team ready.

Make history, or we're history. Bring it on.

Trends, records, and streaks are meant to be broken. See: Nashville predators for exhibit A. In the span of 2 days they won a game 5, a playoff overtime game, and a series against a higher seeded team. Buffalo has a chance to win a game 7 for the first time, and to win a series in which they were down 2-1 for the first time.

History will be made.

Not that it matters much, but earler I posted game 7 was Wednesday. I thought it was Tuesday, but before I posted I double-checked in the first article that came up at the time, which was:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2011-04-24-flyers-sabres_N.htm

(scroll down to the little schedule box on the left)

So, my bad, I guess, in case I confused anyone, or looked spaced-out or something.

Trends, records, and streaks are meant to be broken. See: Nashville predators for exhibit A. In the span of 2 days they won a game 5, a playoff overtime game, and a series against a higher seeded team. Buffalo has a chance to win a game 7 for the first time, and to win a series in which they were down 2-1 for the first time.

History will be made.

And history is on the Flyers side. Most of the team now was playing last year duing their Boston series. down 3-0 in the series to force a game 7 and come back from game 7 down 3 goals to none? (also being in a 7'th seed) Flyers have the momentium now, and you can't really say the Flyers will have home ice advantage since that hasn't worked out great for either team. If buffalo can get an early lead, it will shut up the fans, and make Miller play like a God again.

The sky is always grey and cloudy in Buffalo, even when the Sabres are still alive. :thumbdown:

These have all been one-goal games, and the series is tied, but yet, somehow, the Sabres have been "outplayed" all series? :blink:

Just prior to the final goal today, which team was facing elimination? :rolleyes:

I know some of you who actually follow this board may recall that I am no Miller cheerleader (and certainly not an apologist for him), and I am here to tell you that Miller is not the reason they lose these leads. There are still remnants of whatever it is they came into the season with that made them think they could ease off when up on an opponent.

Strictly speaking, the Sabres still have a 50% chance of winning game 7 and the series.

Our inability to equalize DB or JVR has nothing to do with Miller.

But with all due respect, that's not how probability works. You have to take into account MANY factors. Probability isn't just it happens or doesn't happen. For some stats to make you want to blow your head off ==> Hockey Analytics

Total BS on the Richards call. He should be suspended for Game 7. They've taken out Pominville and now Connolly. Connolly has not done much offensively, but these two guys are key to the PK and the PK has been outstanding for the entire series and these guys have concussed Connolly, a guy with a bad history of concussions. I'm so upset by this and if Richards is not suspended by the league, then this league is a complete and utter joke. You want to know who's getting away with murder? It's Mike Richards. He's an F-ing scumbag and nothing will make me happier than someone destroying him like he's done to David Booth and now to Tim Connolly. He's nothing more than a dirty player, and I hate him. Yes, I know I should not wish harm on anyone, but this guy is a total scumbag who is an incredibly dirty player and he needs to be taught a lesson in some way, shape, or form, and if the NHL isn't going to do it, then someone on the ice has got to.

As for the game itself, the Sabres have proven one thing this series is that they have a very difficult time holding onto the lead against the Flyers. I think part of this comes from having such a young defense corps that's never been in this situation. There are a lot of mental mistakes made. For example, Butler is the one who let Leino stand in front of Miller to get the goal. Montador has no idea where Briere is on the first goal and let's him sneak past the defense. Somebody always has to keep an eye on the cheating forward, but this defense seems to have a lot of breakdowns in coverage. I will attribute that to inexperience than lack of skill. I had no expectation of the Sabres winning this series, but since they are so close, I'll still be disappointed if they don't. This is just another game where we are witnessing the growing pains of a really young team and defense corps that's growing up before eyes.

Either way, there's still one more chance, and the Sabres can still get it done on Tuesday night. Let's put this one behind us, get Roy and hopefully Hecht back for Tuesday and close this series out. Also, I'd take a 2 minute slashing penalty on McCormick if he just took out Pronger's hand. Too bad he doesn't play on the PK since Pronger won't be seeing any even strength time.

Archived