Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

I make a maple old fashioned I make at home, I like buliet bourbon, with maple (with or in lieu of simple syrup) A little water, and a few drops of fresh squeezed orange juice with an orange zest twisted in for a little essence. It is magnificent!

I am definitely trying this over the weekend. Do you use a fancier Maple syrup or just your standard Aunt Jemima pancake syrup?

I prefer double orange without the cherry on my old fashioned recipe for the record.

I make a maple old fashioned I make at home, I like buliet bourbon, with maple (with or in lieu of simple syrup) A little water, and a few drops of fresh squeezed orange juice with an orange zest twisted in for a little essence. It is magnificent!

This sounds really amazing. 

I bought some corn whiskey up in the adirondacks. They were doing a tasting, but you just do a shot of it for the taste. It was strong, but didn't really burn, so I got a bottle. Got home, poured myself a finger of it. 

Lets just say that is not a sippin' whiskey.

Corn whiskey makes a very good bloody mary.......

You're welcome.

I am definitely trying this over the weekend. Do you use a fancier Maple syrup or just your standard Aunt Jemima pancake syrup?

I prefer double orange without the cherry on my old fashioned recipe for the record.

I have only used a good syrup, real maple has a flavor that can't be beat, that and the consistency of real maple is much more like a simple syrup, I'd imagine aunt Jemima and others similar would not mix as well. But if you decide to try it thst say or can't acquire the real stuff, then let me know how it works out.

I have only used a good syrup, real maple has a flavor that can't be beat, that and the consistency of real maple is much more like a simple syrup, I'd imagine aunt Jemima and others similar would not mix as well. But if you decide to try it thst say or can't acquire the real stuff, then let me know how it works out.

I can confirm about using real maple. As you said, very similar to using a simple syrup. And the flavor... oh the flavor... unreal.

• 2 weeks later...

Makers Mark cask strength.

Can't believe I haven't had this one yet. So much more interesting than standard Makers. 111 proof, so not a momster. Maple syrup nose. Honey, vanilla, and syrup fading to cinnamon and allspice. The cinnamon lingers in a long finish. Viscous and syrupy. Super smooth for the proof.

I've gotta pair this up with a cigar. The syrup and cinnamon is powerful, buy smooth. This one needs a big, bold smoke to compliment.

I haven't gone through all 30pgs of this thread, so forgive me if this has been discussed:

I love, love Laphroaig 10yr. I drink it need, and I find the flavor profile so delightful. I taste a rich vanilla-y thing going on, with that lovely smoky-ness

I tried Ardbeg 10yr a few months ago. I couldn't get into it. All I got was the smoky-ness, but didn't get any other flavors.

Is this a case where actually adding a dash of water might actually open it up more? I haven't tried that in a really, really long time, but I preferred it neat with the Scotch I tried it with.

I haven't gone through all 30pgs of this thread, so forgive me if this has been discussed:s interesting to

I love, love Laphroaig 10yr. I drink it need, and I find the flavor profile so delightful. I taste a rich vanilla-y thing going on, with that lovely smoky-ness

I tried Ardbeg 10yr a few months ago. I couldn't get into it. All I got was the smoky-ness, but didn't get any other flavors.

Is this a case where actually adding a dash of water might actually open it up more? I haven't tried that in a really, really long time, but I preferred it neat with the Scotch I tried it with.

It is always interesting to compare with and without a splash of water.  The pour often changes considerably.  You should try it.

Usually when I order a whiskey for the first time, I order it with a glass of water.  If I'm digging it neat, I sip the water as I go.  But, often I'll add a splash to the whiskey at some point.  It does often subtly change it.

Edited by We've

For anyone who's a nerd like me, there's a nice YouTube channel of 2 guys (a whisky sommelier and the other a whisky "mooch") who try out a ton of whiskey and give their impressions of it. They do a good job of going through some of the history of the distiller and have some great background knowledge.

It's a nice reference if you're thinking about buying a bottle of something but don't know if you'll like it or are wondering how it compares to other whisky that you've tried before. It's called Whiskey Vault for anyone who's curious. 

• Mature whisky is expensive not because it's necessarily better, but because it is rare.  Mature whisky is not rare because they don't make a lot of barrels of it- they cask lots of barrels intended for long maturation. Instead, mature whisky is rare because so much is lost from each cask during maturation due to evaporation (angel's share).  A 50 year old whisky barrel starting with 195 liters of new make spirit might only have 2-3 liters left in it when it's uncasked, depending on environmental factors.  Entire distilleries that have long since been non-operational and mothballed have been purchased for millions of dollars for their warehouses full of old maturing whisky that hadn't been uncasked or bottled yet.  Port Ellen Distillery on Islay is one of these.  It was shuttered in 1983 and then bought by conglomerate Diageo, who slowly bottles and releases their leftover stock.  Port Ellen, depending on vintage, sells for $1000-$6000 per bottle.

I expect full reviews.... Or else....

No maple, but found a bar in Breckenridge last night where the bartender took great pride in preparing our old fashioneds. Rye whiskey from a distillery near Vail, lemon peel, and Luxardo cherries in a heavy glass without ice. Fantastic.

Last night we went to Southern Tier distilling.

I will admit upfront to a bias against micro distilled whiskies. I'm not sure where the difference lies, but almost none I've tried to date can run with the product the big distillers put out.

ST has a fairly large line of distilled products, and frankly, most of them are stuff I have no interest in, so I didn't want to order a flight for tasting. I rilled the dice and ordered a 2oz glass of their 50/50 whiskey, a blend of corn and wheat whiskey. And to my surprise, it was very enjoyable. Not terribly complicated on the palate, but solid. Corn notes dominated, but unlike most corn whiskies I've had, it was soft and round, and carried some decent barrel notes. I'm sure the wheat was helpful there.

The wife, who is rather picky about her whiskey, ordered an Old Fashioned made with 50/50 and proclaimed it one of the best Old Fashioneds she's ever had. They make them with Luxardo cherries and bitters with a label I didnt recognize.

The whiskey is $36/bottle. Is it a $36/bottle whiskey? I'm not sure it is, but it's the closest I've had to craft whiskey that is actually worth the asking price.

• 2 weeks later...

I bit a hole in my tongue this morning. It's awful. I finished about 6 ounces of eagle rare in an attempt to numb it. It's working, but now I'm out of eagle rare. I just mixed bird dog chocolate and bird dog blueberry whiskey. It's sooooo bad!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.