Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Today Mexico announced that it is joining Canada and the EU in enacting a 25% tariff on US bourbon imports.  This makes me selfishly happy.  Suddenly, world demand for bourbon drops and my precious, delicious, beverage will likely see a price drop.

Thanks, Trump?

I need a shower and a bleach gargle.

Today Mexico announced that it is joining Canada and the EU in enacting a 25% tariff on US bourbon imports. This makes me selfishly happy. Suddenly, world demand for bourbon drops and my precious, delicious, beverage will likely see a price drop.

Thanks, Trump?

I need a shower and a bleach gargle.

I just want to be able to find Buffalo Trace again. I love eagle rare, but I loooove Buffalo Trace. Plus, BT is 5 bucks cheaper! Sometimes $7!

By sheer happenstance, I was introduced to Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey.  100% barley mash bill.  Aged in previously used casks (sherry, bourbon, etc.) Very interesting flavor profile - unlike anything else I've tried.  Not cheap, but I think worth the price. 

Aside from their "standard" whiskey, they make two others: Diamond Peak (which I have not tried) and a sherry cask-aged version of their standard.  I've tried the sherry cask aged - it has a wonderful bouquet and an utterly fascinating taste and finish.  Whether drinking straight or mixed, the finish is extremely redolent of...baseball glove leather.  That's right, baseball glove leather.  Not leather from a book or a car seat (eeeeuww!), but from a brand-new baseball glove.  I swear.  Maybe that doesn't sound too appealing, but it is fascinating to experience.

By sheer happenstance, I was introduced to Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey.  100% barley mash bill.  Aged in previously used casks (sherry, bourbon, etc.) Very interesting flavor profile - unlike anything else I've tried.  Not cheap, but I think worth the price. 

Aside from their "standard" whiskey, they make two others: Diamond Peak (which I have not tried) and a sherry cask-aged version of their standard.  I've tried the sherry cask aged - it has a wonderful bouquet and an utterly fascinating taste and finish.  Whether drinking straight or mixed, the finish is extremely redolent of...baseball glove leather.  That's right, baseball glove leather.  Not leather from a book or a car seat (eeeeuww!), but from a brand-new baseball glove.  I swear.  Maybe that doesn't sound too appealing, but it is fascinating to experience.

It does sound appealing actually.  I get that from some cigars. 

I get a similar note from Elijah Craig 12

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So on the dive boat, a couple from Germany brought on this single malt whiskey from Taiwan, I may now be hooked as it's the smoothest whiskey I've ever drank! 

20181005_213836.jpg

As long as you know that it is half antifreeze, enjoy.

Found a new favorite recently - David Nicholson Reserve. There are two versions of David Nicholson, "Reserve" being more rye-oriented, and "1843" being wheated like Makers Mark. I have not tried the 1843, but I hear good things. 

I first found it in downtown Chicago for $28/fifth. I guess it's not widely distributed (mostly midwestern states), but I have also recently found it at the NH State Liquor Store in Portsmouth for $35. For the price, I've never had anything better. The only thing I've ever liked more is Blanton's, which is out of my price range. 

Very, very smooth at 100 proof. I'm not an expert at describing flavor profiles, but there's definitely some vanilla going on in there. It's like bourbon crossed with a high quality Canadian. Looking forward to someday sampling the 1843. 

5 hours ago, Skibum said:

Found a new favorite recently - David Nicholson Reserve. There are two versions of David Nicholson, "Reserve" being more rye-oriented, and "1843" being wheated like Makers Mark. I have not tried the 1843, but I hear good things. 

I first found it in downtown Chicago for $28/fifth. I guess it's not widely distributed (mostly midwestern states), but I have also recently found it at the NH State Liquor Store in Portsmouth for $35. For the price, I've never had anything better. The only thing I've ever liked more is Blanton's, which is out of my price range. 

Very, very smooth at 100 proof. I'm not an expert at describing flavor profiles, but there's definitely some vanilla going on in there. It's like bourbon crossed with a high quality Canadian. Looking forward to someday sampling the 1843. 

Never heard of it.  I'll be on the lookout.  Love me some wheated bourbons.

59 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

I just got done aging some really cheap scotch Scoresby for six months in my 5 L barrel. It went from damn near undrinkable to actually smooth. Before the scotch I aged 4 Roses a year in a half. 

Of course it is improved.  It picked up bourbon notes.  It could only improve.

• 2 months later...

It's been a long while since I've tasted a whiskey that compelled me to  jump on here and wax poetic.  I think the demand for whiskey has resulted in most of the bottles being rushed out the door before they're ready.  I just don't get bottles any more that have the complexity I used to pick up even in mid priced bottles.

I'm gonna wax poetic today.

2 weeks ago I hit a liquor store whiskey tasting event.  It's tough to get a good read on the whiskeys you try at those events because you're kind of rushed along, the samples are small, the glasses are plastic, and the environment isn't really conducive to getting the most out of the whiskey.  But one of the samples stood out.  Four Roses Single Barrel.

Four Roses uses a blend of 10 recipes in their base level whiskey.  They blend 3 or 4 of those recipes for their small batch bottling.  But they pick out 1 of the 10 recipes each year to showcase in their Single Barrel bottling. Each year they choose a different recipe, so the whiskey changes from year to year.    I don't remember anything specific about the sample of Single Barrel I had at the tasting, but it stood out enough that I asked what year that bottle was from, checked to see if the liquor store had the same year bottling, and promptly bought a bottle.  It was $49.99, but I've seen it as high as $64.99.

Opened the bottle  last night after a prime rib dinner with friends.  OMG, this stuff is luscious.  It started out with a hit of pepper that quickly faded to candied dried fruit.  Dried bananas, cherries, and apricots all danced on the tongue.  It's an incredibly fruity whiskey.  And there was a viscous sweetness that reminded me of simple syrup.  It's 100 proof so there was a touch of heat, but it faded quickly.  And then the finish kicked in.... vanilla.  Like a vanilla bean first taken out of the tube.  And the finish held up right until the next sip, a not so subtle invitation to take another hit.  I need to find out what recipe was used.  I'm guessing it was one of the wheat recipes.  This is old school stuff like Van Winkle "Lot B" used to be. 

I will buy another bottle of this stuff and bunker it away so I'll have it in the future.  It's the best whiskey I've tasted in several years.  This open bottle ain't gonna last.

Edit- so I dug into the recipe thing.  I was half right.  FRSB is is sold in all 10 of the recipes, but they aren't all put out for general distribution.  It takes a good bit of work to find the other recipes when they are released.  The standard release FRSB is always the same recipe.  It's their rye recipe, with a yeast that produces a soft, fruity distillate.  This must be one helluva barrel this year.  It's certainly more interesting that normal to my palate.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

I’ve always liked the four roses single barrel. It was my go to daily drinker for the past few years until I got out of the Navy. I was able to get it for $35 on base so it was the best bang for the buck. 

I just had the small batch a few days ago for the first time from my tattoo artist after we finished a four hour session. I really enjoyed it as much as I could considering I was kinda out of it do to the circumstances. 

I just picked up a bottle of Larceny for around $40 not to long ago. I really enjoyed it. It’s a wheated whiskey which I do enjoy. I prefer W L Weller but I have not been able to find it for the past year now. 

32 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

I’ve always liked the four roses single barrel. It was my go to daily drinker for the past few years until I got out of the Navy. I was able to get it for $35 on base so it was the best bang for the buck. 

I just had the small batch a few days ago for the first time from my tattoo artist after we finished a four hour session. I really enjoyed it as much as I could considering I was kinda out of it do to the circumstances. 

I just picked up a bottle of Larceny for around $40 not to long ago. I really enjoyed it. It’s a wheated whiskey which I do enjoy. I prefer W L Weller but I have not been able to find it for the past year now. 

All of the Weller labels are fantastic.  Antique was my go to before the craze hit.  7-8 yrs ago I used to get it for $20 for a 1.75L.  Now the 750mL is $30 and they don't even offer the 1.75 any more as far as I can tell.    The 12yr is fantastic but extremely scarce now.  Before word got out that Weller uses the same base recipe as Pappy it was a great value brand.

19 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

@Weave

I have a bottle of Four Roses single barrel in my liquor cabinet as we speak. I've tried a lot of whiskey (mostly Bourbons) but this one is definitely a cut above.

The range of quality at Four Roses is surprising.  Their base yellow label is just not very good.  Small Batch is delicious.  And Single Barrel is among the best out there right now.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

All of the Weller labels are fantastic.  Antique was my go to before the craze hit.  7-8 yrs ago I used to get it for $20 for a 1.75L.  Now the 750mL is $30 and they don't even offer the 1.75 any more as far as I can tell.    The 12yr is fantastic but extremely scarce now.  Before word got out that Weller uses the same base recipe as Pappy it was a great value brand.

I actually prefer it to Pappy but that might just be that I only had the Pappy 10 yo and paid $30 for 1 drink of it. I thought it was good but not OMG special.

I have the same though with Johnny Walker Blue. Think it’s extremely over rated. I would rather have Glenfarclas 25 yo. It’s better and a few dollars cheaper to boot. 

I guess I'll put this here.

We go through a lot 1.75s of various types here at my house, maybe too many,… but we do get a lot of visitors.

Anywhoo, of all the various shapes that they come in, I find the physical act of picking up and pouring out of a 1.75 of Jim Beam to be the most pleasurable. By a lot. In fact, it is probably the reason we even call 1.75s "a handle."

Just thought I'd share.

Edited by SwampD

• 6 months later...

Had a new to me pour today.  Whistle Pig Farmstock Rye.

I've had Whistle Pig in the past, but not this bottling.  It is a limited bottling, whatever that is.  The brand was a bit maligned when it first came out, not because of the quality of the liquid, but because its story didn't match reality.  Their advertising made claims of being a small, craft distiller of locally sourced ingredients, but the reality was they were sourcing their distillate from large suppliers.  Not unlike Templeton Rye claiming to be a craft whiskey when they were buying their juice from the largest producer of rye whiskey in the world.

But amid the controversy, Whistle Pig whiskey was praised as good stuff.  Maybe overpriced, but solid.  I had mine neat.  This one is 86 proof, a bit lighter than I usually prefer.  It had a sweet, bourbon-y nose.  Caramel and vanilla.  On the tongue the sweetness was just as apparent.  Not a typical rye so far.  Nice viscosity, and subtle barrel notes.  The finish surprised me.  Usually ryes are pepper and spice on the finish, with a bit of grassiness mixed in.  This one had hints of that grassieness, but cinnamon dominated the finish.  A delicious, sweet cinnamon. 

I had this one at a nearby wine bar.  I'm not sure of the bottle cost, but a double pour at the wine bar was $13.  Pretty tolerable for what it was.  I'd buy it again.

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

Had a new to me pour today.  Whistle Pig Farmstock Rye.

I've had Whistle Pig in the past, but not this bottling.  It is a limited bottling, whatever that is.  The brand was a bit maligned when it first came out, not because of the quality of the liquid, but because its story didn't match reality.  Their advertising made claims of being a small, craft distiller of locally sourced ingredients, but the reality was they were sourcing their distillate from large suppliers.  Not unlike Templeton Rye claiming to be a craft whiskey when they were buying their juice from the largest producer of rye whiskey in the world.

But amid the controversy, Whistle Pig whiskey was praised as good stuff.  Maybe overpriced, but solid.  I had mine neat.  This one is 86 proof, a bit lighter than I usually prefer.  It had a sweet, bourbon-y nose.  Caramel and vanilla.  On the tongue the sweetness was just as apparent.  Not a typical rye so far.  Nice viscosity, and subtle barrel notes.  The finish surprised me.  Usually ryes are pepper and spice on the finish, with a bit of grassiness mixed in.  This one had hints of that grassieness, but cinnamon dominated the finish.  A delicious, sweet cinnamon. 

I had this one at a nearby wine bar.  I'm not sure of the bottle cost, but a double pour at the wine bar was $13.  Pretty tolerable for what it was.  I'd buy it again.

It’s about $75 a bottle right now. I agree that’s it’s good but a tad overpriced. 

Went back through the first pages of this thread to relive the twists and turns.  Holy cow does this stick out.

I choose the Rip Van Winkle neat, buddy went with Blanton's. The Winkle was smooth but assertive, a touch spicy, and had a huge vanilla character to it. And at $6 a glass didn't hurt on the wallet.

My how things have changed since 2011.  Rip Van Winkle is aka Pappy 10yr.  $6 a glass.  At a bar.  Triple or quadruple that today.  If you can find it.  Ahhh.. the good old days.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Went back through the first pages of this thread to relive the twists and turns.  Holy cow does this stick out.

My how things have changed since 2011.  Rip Van Winkle is aka Pappy 10yr.  $6 a glass.  At a bar.  Triple or quadruple that today.  If you can find it.  Ahhh.. the good old days.

I had it in 2017 and it was $35. It can be found now but that’s a pretty standard price from what I have seen. The 12 YO was $40. I am happy I tried it but I think their is better for less than half the cost. 

33 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

I had it in 2017 and it was $35. It can be found now but that’s a pretty standard price from what I have seen. The 12 YO was $40. I am happy I tried it but I think their is better for less than half the cost. 

I don't understand how the market went berserk.  I mean, I get that demand changed, but on top of that a whole segment of people entered the market as collectors and resellers on the grey market.  Facebook is full of whiskey pages with people posting "finds" at absurd prices, and "should I open it or bunker it" comments.  Liquor stores are doing raffles for the opportunity to purchase these whiskeys at inflated prices.  Nuts.  It's frickin whiskey, not a Faberge egg.  They always make more.

When this thread started my everyday pour was Weller Antique and I was buying it in 1.5L bottles for $19.99.  Today demand for it is so high they don't put out 1.5L bottles anymore to the best of my knowledge and its a $30 whiskey in a 750ml bottle.  More than double the price.

My wife used to buy me Blanton's and Van Winkle and a couple of the Buffalo Trace Antique series whiskeys for Father's Day gifts.  Boy, that's long gone now.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.