Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Was down at the local LCBO on my lunch deciding what to pick up for this weekend. My usual is Johnny Walker Black label if I'm up for paying the $57 for the bottle. If it's buddies coming over I'll just grab Crown or Wayne Gretzky's and mix with some soda. Today I noticed JP Wisers deluxe and realized I've never tried it. All these years and I barely perused the shelf. I know this makes me a big time rookie for asking but anyone had/enjoyed/can report on Wisers deluxe? I'm assuming it's as common down south of the boarder as it is up here.

I've had a couple of the Wiser's brands.  Can't remember which ones they were.  I recall them being decent pours.  Not spectacular, but decent.

Thought I would post before I got too deep into this bottle. Just sipped my first pour and this may be my new go to.

Super smooth finish. A touch sweeter than I'm use to but I'm getting a strong mix of vanilla and almost honey to start and nice oak Smokey taste to finish. I'm an amateur at this but I highly recommend.

At about $15 cheaper than black label I may very well start buying more of this. Have a good weekend gents!

Thought I would post before I got too deep into this bottle. Just sipped my first pour and this may be my new go to.

Super smooth finish. A touch sweeter than I'm use to but I'm getting a strong mix of vanilla and almost honey to start and nice oak Smokey taste to finish. I'm an amateur at this but I highly recommend.

At about $15 cheaper than black label I may very well start buying more of this. Have a good weekend gents!

;)

Edited by We've

• 2 months later...

It's been a good week for brown. I was at Premier on Saturday looking for something different and ended up with a 750 of Southern Tier's first batch Rye Whiskey. Oh yes, you read that right. It's a 2 year and it's very good. Spicy finish the way I like it and I think it's priced right at $34. Definitely worth the price. It may even be under priced.

Josie also brought me back a bottle of bourbon from the Belle Meade plantation. This bourbon has a 30% rye bill making it a little different. It's also 90 proof and you can tell. The booze vapors hit you like it's grappa and hangs around through the whole sip. That said, it's also pretty easy to drink. I don't think I would call it sipping whiskey, but it's good. Perhaps a bit overpriced though. Lacking some flavor on the back end.

It needs to be cigar weather right now.

Good for you. Too hot for me, though.

The wife bought me a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 yesterday. First time I've had it. I'm a Macallan guy if I'm drinking single malt (I do like Walker Black though, I know, blended) The Glen 12 is good. Very soft. 1 ice cube for a little chill and it's damn good enough for me.

I'm back to Larceny tonight, though. Bourbon is good. I like it.

It's been a good week for brown. I was at Premier on Saturday looking for something different and ended up with a 750 of Southern Tier's first batch Rye Whiskey. Oh yes, you read that right. It's a 2 year and it's very good. Spicy finish the way I like it and I think it's priced right at $34. Definitely worth the price. It may even be under priced.

Josie also brought me back a bottle of bourbon from the Belle Meade plantation. This bourbon has a 30% rye bill making it a little different. It's also 90 proof and you can tell. The booze vapors hit you like it's grappa and hangs around through the whole sip. That said, it's also pretty easy to drink. I don't think I would call it sipping whiskey, but it's good. Perhaps a bit overpriced though. Lacking some flavor on the back end.

It needs to be cigar weather right now.

Southern Tier's 50/50 makes a damned nice Old Fashioned.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Most small distillery whiskey isn't worth bothering with IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought myself Glenmorangie 12 Quinta Ruban that I'm waiting to open after I graduate with my Master's. Never had it before, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. 

If anyone likes the flavor of cherries and is looking for a good budget buy, Jim Beam Distiller's Cut is a nice option. I know, I was skeptical too with it being a Jim Beam product, but the bourbon is aged 5-6 years and it has a lot of barrel flavor with a hint of cherries after that barrel punch goes away. $26 for a bottle with bourbon aged up to 6 years is a good value to me. 

Bought myself Glenmorangie 12 Quinta Ruban that I'm waiting to open after I graduate with my Master's. Never had it before, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. 

If anyone likes the flavor of cherries and is looking for a good budget buy, Jim Beam Distiller's Cut is a nice option. I know, I was skeptical too with it being a Jim Beam product, but the bourbon is aged 5-6 years and it has a lot of barrel flavor with a hint of cherries after that barrel punch goes away. $26 for a bottle with bourbon aged up to 6 years is a good value to me. 

Getting increasingly difficult to find 6 yr old bourbons now.  I'll have to give it a try.

Yo, whiskey peeps. Why can't I get Buffalo Trace anywhere? What the hell is going on? I've gotten the same story from 3 different liquor stores. "We order it, they aren't sending it. They must have had a shortage. People keep asking for it."

Yo, whiskey peeps. Why can't I get Buffalo Trace anywhere? What the hell is going on? I've gotten the same story from 3 different liquor stores. "We order it, they aren't sending it. They must have had a shortage. People keep asking for it."

Weird.  That is their primary brand.  You'd think they'd have plenty in the pipeline.

I wonder if it is due to the run up to the Kentucky Derby and supplies go back to normal the week after?

We are now bottling several kinds of whiskey and bourbon. Some good, some not so much. George Remus, Rossville, Cascade Blonde, Cask & Crew and if you are looking for price point Recipe 21.

Never heard of any of those labels.  I'd love more info if you are able to share.  Even if by PM.

We are now bottling several kinds of whiskey and bourbon. Some good, some not so much. George Remus, Rossville, Cascade Blonde, Cask & Crew and if you are looking for price point Recipe 21.

Who's we?  Are you involved with a distillery?

Ahhh nice.  That's cool.

Be a hero to the marketing team.  There is a typo on the page.  Last paragraph..

"Services

LiDestri Spirits Division offers all the resources needed to produced top-notch spirits—excellent service, intelligent research, top technology—all under one roof. Read more "

For whatever reason, typos like that pop out at me... even just scanning a page.

Do you get samples as part of being there?

Edited by LTS

######, they'll reprimand him for trying to fix that.

No good deed goes unpunished

Ahhh nice. That's cool.

Be a hero to the marketing team. There is a typo on the page. Last paragraph..

"Services

LiDestri Spirits Division offers all the resources needed to produced top-notch spirits—excellent service, intelligent research, top technology—all under one roof. Read more "

For whatever reason, typos like that pop out at me... even just scanning a page.

Do you get samples as part of being there?

Well, no we aren't handed bottles of booze to use at our discretion. It is an integral part of my job to sample every batch and line approval sample.

No good deed goes unpunished

Well, no we aren't handed bottles of booze to use at our discretion. It is an integral part of my job to sample every batch and line approval sample.

Ahh, well you got a good job.  I know Constellation Brands hands some stuff out once in awhile and Genny workers get some beer.  Just curious more than anything.

I guess since it's going elsewhere it's really not theirs to give away.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a cheap bottle of scotch $30 called black bottle. It is amazing for the price. Has a little peat to it. I think this might be my go to daily drinker. I was wondering if anyone else has had it and what they think if not any recommendation for $40 or less.

Just got a cheap bottle of scotch $30 called black bottle. It is amazing for the price. Has a little peat to it. I think this might be my go to daily drinker. I was wondering if anyone else has had it and what they think if not any recommendation for $40 or less.

Black isn't bad. For a not-crazy-expensive daily, I like Sheep Dip. It's a blend of 8 to 16 year old Islays with a good flavor profile- very slightly sweet (but not as sweet as Mac 12), long, a little less peat than the standard younger single malt Islays. Prices vary, but I usually can get it for <$50.

Definitely a good daily for Islay lovers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.