Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The beer thread has been revived, time for the whiskey thread to pick up some steam.

I've made some progress on my whiskey collection. Currently:

Slane

Jameson Crested

Jameson Caskmates

Angel's Envy

Went to a whiskey bar last night, tried Four Roses Single Barrel and Macallan 12. I enjoyed both, especially Four Roses. That's on my list now to add to the collection.

I want to try Angel's Envy, but I can't justify spending over $50 on a bottle. Not when I absolutely love Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare and can get them for $25 and $27. And absolutely zero bars around here carry anything that isn't 1/2 an ancient bottle of Knobb and one equally ancient bottle of Makers.

The beer thread has been revived, time for the whiskey thread to pick up some steam.

Slane

Jameson Crested

Jameson Caskmates

Angel's Envy

Went to a whiskey bar last night, tried Four Roses Single Barrel and Macallan 12. I enjoyed both, especially Four Roses. That's on my list now to add to the collection.

I recommend michter's 10yr for a special occasion. Regular michter's bourbon for casual drinking. Edited by SkuggaLiger

Slane

Jameson Crested

Jameson Caskmates

Angel's Envy

Love me some Angel's Envy... so, so smooth.

Carter is just chugging through the bottle of Basil Hayden Dark Rye I gave him for Christmas. It's smooth. Too smooth haha 

That sounds pretty tasty!

Down in the Maldives, they had 15 year pappy on the shelves, I sucked it up and paid the 16$ for the 3 oz and found it to be quite delicious.

Atta boy.

It's been a few years since I've had the opportunity to drink anything other than the 10yr old stuff (which is highly overrated).  15 was always very enjoyable stuff.  I've wondered if it has lost any of its luster since the whiskey boom.  Hard for me to justify the cost to find out these days.

Atta boy.

It's been a few years since I've had the opportunity to drink anything other than the 10yr old stuff (which is highly overrated). 15 was always very enjoyable stuff. I've wondered if it has lost any of its luster since the whiskey boom. Hard for me to justify the cost to find out these days.

I've always though pappy was a bit overrated too, especially compared to some others I've had.

I think considering my locale, it was worth it, much much better than the 10 year for sure, but I'm still partial to my Green Spot Bordeaux cask

Just a quick whiskey PSA:

I just bought a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch Bourbon, and it is NOT good. Lots of harsh, chemical flavor. Sipped alongside standard Buffalo Trace at the same price, and the BT was much, much more enjoyable. And I am not super-picky; I am totally happy with Wild Turkey, Old Forester, and many other low-mid grade offerings. 

I just bought a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch Bourbon, and it is NOT good. Lots of harsh, chemical flavor. Sipped alongside standard Buffalo Trace at the same price, and the BT was much, much more enjoyable. And I am not super-picky; I am totally happy with Wild Turkey, Old Forester, and many other low-mid grade offerings. 

Interesting. I have heard that Elijah small batch hasn't been as good since they removed the 12 year age statement. I wasn't sure if it was mind tricks from people thinking older whiskey is always better, but you would be the third person to report the newer small batch being less than impressive

I agree.

Anyone else going to the Buffalo Whiskey fest this Sunday? Should be a good time

I’ll be there. Looking forward to it. It sold out so I am curious just how crowdef it is going to be.

I’ll have to try a new bottle and see if I agree. That would be very disappointing if EC quality has dropped. It used to be a favorite of mine. I’m pretty sure I’ve got a 3-5 yr old bottle of it in my cabinet. Might be worth a side by side tasting.

I’ll have to try a new bottle and see if I agree. That would be very disappointing if EC quality has dropped. It used to be a favorite of mine. I’m pretty sure I’ve got a 3-5 yr old bottle of it in my cabinet. Might be worth a side by side tasting.

Yeah, go do that. I'm interested in what you think. I got one a few months ago after a couple bottles of Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare and I really didn't appreciate it compared to them. Even compared to larceny. Definitely thought it was way overrated. I still drank it in 2 weeks, but that more due to my alcohol abuse than it being good to drink.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.