Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Buffalo Whiskey fest was a lot of fun, Added a few whiskeys to my wish list from the show:

Powers John's Lane

Iron Smoke Bourbon

GlenDronach 12

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

One Foot ###### aka "Rooster" Whiskey

Wyoming Whiskey

It was a good time. I made the mistake of indulging after the show. Glad I made arrangements for the ride home!

Rare Breed is a fantastic, under the radar whiskey. One of the last, really. I keep hoping it stays that way so I can still afford to buy it.

Buffalo Whiskey fest was a lot of fun, Added a few whiskeys to my wish list from the show:

Powers John's Lane

Iron Smoke Bourbon

GlenDronach 12

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

One Foot ###### aka "Rooster" Whiskey

Wyoming Whiskey

Pennsylvania has State Run stores.

I can't even special order any of those. 

Really interested in The GlenDronach, I can get the 18 year, but not the bang for the buck 12.

Wild Turkey has it's own self at my local store, it includes every offering except Rare Breed, it was the other bottle I really wanted to try. 

Pennsylvania has State Run stores.

I can't even special order any of those.

Really interested in The GlenDronach, I can get the 18 year, but not the bang for the buck 12.

Wild Turkey has it's own self at my local store, it includes every offering except Rare Breed, it was the other bottle I really wanted to try.

I find the PA stores are pretty good at ordering most things, but yeah, there's some stuff they just don't get. Still not sure I understand why.

I wanna try One Foot C##k, I have heard good things and the name is hilarious.  Also, just read your signature.  I still believe in that quote and had forgotten it. 

Yeah it was a classic bourbon. I think my first purchase from the list will be the Iron Smoke. It's an apple wood smoked bourbon and I knew I liked four grain bourbons already, so it's pretty unique. And the price is right, about $40-45. 

As for the signature, I forget it's there as well. It's a nice surprise when I notice it. See, not all of us millennials think we're wonderful little frail butterflies  ;)

It was a good time. I made the mistake of indulging after the show. Glad I made arrangements for the ride home!

Rare Breed is a fantastic, under the radar whiskey. One of the last, really. I keep hoping it stays that way so I can still afford to buy it.

Funny enough, I almost became sick that night but not from the whiskey. I was eating so much during the day that my stomach was not having it by the time 10 PM rolled around. I tried a little too hard to soak up the alcohol. 

I was treated to a dram of Blanton's bourbon last week - WOW! Never had anything that good before. I guess it's a little hard to find and in the $60 range, so I probably won't be picking up a bottle anytime soon, but this one really raised the bar for me. 

That said, $60 a bottle is still cheaper than drinking Jack Daniels at most bars these days...

Edited by Skibum

Is one foot c##k any good?

As for whether or not a whiskey tastes good, I'll say there is no such thing as a bad whiskey. Everyone just has different tastes and preferences. No snobbery here.

I'll admit that at the whiskey fest I probably tasted about 20+ whiskeys before trying the footer, so my taste buds could have been shot at that point. But all I can say is that I enjoyed it. There wasn't anything magical about it, but it was your standard bourbon flavors and an easy drinker. 

I'm guessing your taste buds were shot.  My experience with it was the same as Eleven's.  Not a fan.

Fair enough. I don't rule that out as being the case in this scenario. I just don't like when someone says "X (food/drink/whatever) tastes like " when everyone has completely different taste preferences. As if one person has superior taste buds than another.

That's why I don't hate on someone when they say their favorite whiskey is a budget one like Beam or Jack. Rock on, you do you, and as long as you enjoy your dram and are exploring different whiskey flavors then I'm glad you're a part of the community. 

And I'm not saying you or Eleven are acting this way, I'm just up on my soap box at the moment and figured I would put it out there in case it comes up  :beer:

We must know more.....

They are all fantastic for different reasons and $50-65 a bottle

The QR is a port finish and the most expensive almost a desert scotch

I really love Laphroaig(took me a couple years to actually enjoy) for the after taste of good BBQ weird but amazing

The Japanese one is just smooth and worth a try if you haven’t had them I recommend them

And my go to cheapish one is 4 roses single barrel or WL weller(I actually like this better than pappy and it’s less that $30)

Edited by bobs0108

They are all fantastic for different reasons and $50-65 a bottle

The QR is a port finish and the most expensive almost a desert scotch

I really love Laphroaig(took me a couple years to actually enjoy) for the after taste of good BBQ weird but amazing

The Japanese one is just smooth and worth a try if you haven’t had them I recommend them

And my go to cheapish one is 4 roses single barrel or WL weller(I actually like this better than pappy and it’s less that $30)

Weller is tremendous stuff.  And 4 Roses is damned fine too!

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a few hours at my cousins last weekend, he has a pretty nice bourbon collection so we had some fun comparing different offerings.

I was a huge fan of Willett Family Estate Rye. It didn't have any ground pepper flavor at all, which opened up to all of these other floral flavors.

First time trying Elijah Craig 12. I can't believe it used to be only $25 a bottle. 

Blanton's straight from the barrel was a treat. 

My likes ..

The Irishman Founders Reserve

Jura 10 year

Monkey Shoulder

My barometer is Dewars White Label. If it has a wood and peat taste range around Dewars I'm prone to like that offering. 

I find the PA stores are pretty good at ordering most things, but yeah, there's some stuff they just don't get. Still not sure I understand why.

Does the store in your area have a big display of Teachers Blended Scotch for around $17.00 a bottle?

I tried it. 

Good,  but a little more smoke and peat in it than I like, but still mild compared to a Glenmorangia . I'm buying another bottle just to have because it's so cheap for the quality.

Was down at the local LCBO on my lunch deciding what to pick up for this weekend.

My usual is Johnny Walker Black label if I'm up for paying the $57 for the bottle. If it's buddies coming over I'll just grab Crown or Wayne Gretzky's and mix with some soda.

Today I noticed JP Wisers deluxe and realized I've never tried it. All these years and I barely perused the shelf. I know this makes me a big time rookie for asking but anyone had/enjoyed/can report on Wisers deluxe? I'm assuming it's as common down south of the boarder as it is up here.

There are six stores in Erie county PA that offer Wiser's Triple Barrel Rye, and that is the only offering. If we want any thing else from Wiser it's special order only.

It's listed here as a product of Canada, so I'm not sure if U.S. customers are going to be to familiar.

GOOOO for IT!

Then let us know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.