Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Thanks for that Dwight. I'm very much a casual race fan. Truth be told, I just like to watch the horsies go 'round a few times a year. We'll see how we come out today.

Any luck? I was happy with my handicapping today, and did solid....could have run wild.

The 2yo turf was a little soft for the speed types so sure enough, the Europeans come gobbling at the end. I didn't come close.

The sprint was a perfect trip for my guy....he gutted it out and just lost in the end. I did have a small exacta so I cashed ok.

The turf sprint was just a bad break....by 2 horse get carried out 12 wide. It was over right there that short.

I ate it in the dirt mile. Trappe Shot put in a mild bid, but he burned a lot of my pick-3+ tickets. The winner was exciting though. That's the type of run I was looking for...wrong horse!

I knew something was up in the turf when my pick drifted up to 7-1. If she was on, she would have been bet. Great story though with the winner. 18yo kid gets his first BC ride....for his Dad of all people...and makes an amazing ride to dominate.

Thankfully the Juvenile made my weekend. I was happy to get 7-1, and Hansen set the pace but was able to relax. He dug in big at the end and I got a little lucky with Union Rags going wide. I hammered the exacta and it paid $46. I don't think Hansen has a chance to Win the Derby at this point, but if he stays healthy he is a neat little guy.

Ugh....the mile was an inch away from making me a happy boy. I can't cry for missing a 64-1 shot with the 2 horses I liked. But it killed my multiple race tickets and the excitement I would have had going into the Classic with live five figure tickets. There is no way I would have the winner in the next though.

Drosselmeyer looked beautiful before the race. It was his day. What a trip watching Mike Smith come and beat Chantal Sutherland...his ex-girlfriend. An interesting aside....she is a really cute girl, and her personality is pretty much like Chz, but in real life if she likes you.

Any luck? I was happy with my handicapping today, and did solid....could have run wild.

The 2yo turf was a little soft for the speed types so sure enough, the Europeans come gobbling at the end. I didn't come close.

The sprint was a perfect trip for my guy....he gutted it out and just lost in the end. I did have a small exacta so I cashed ok.

The turf sprint was just a bad break....by 2 horse get carried out 12 wide. It was over right there that short.

I ate it in the dirt mile. Trappe Shot put in a mild bid, but he burned a lot of my pick-3+ tickets. The winner was exciting though. That's the type of run I was looking for...wrong horse!

I knew something was up in the turf when my pick drifted up to 7-1. If she was on, she would have been bet. Great story though with the winner. 18yo kid gets his first BC ride....for his Dad of all people...and makes an amazing ride to dominate.

Thankfully the Juvenile made my weekend. I was happy to get 7-1, and Hansen set the pace but was able to relax. He dug in big at the end and I got a little lucky with Union Rags going wide. I hammered the exacta and it paid $46. I don't think Hansen has a chance to Win the Derby at this point, but if he stays healthy he is a neat little guy.

Ugh....the mile was an inch away from making me a happy boy. I can't cry for missing a 64-1 shot with the 2 horses I liked. But it killed my multiple race tickets and the excitement I would have had going into the Classic with live five figure tickets. There is no way I would have the winner in the next though.

Drosselmeyer looked beautiful before the race. It was his day. What a trip watching Mike Smith come and beat Chantal Sutherland...his ex-girlfriend. An interesting aside....she is a really cute girl, and her personality is pretty much like Chz, but in real life if she likes you.

I wasn't able to get out until late in the program. Can't say on hit on anything of substance in the couple of races I made it out in time to get in on. I like to start small and get my head into it before really jumping in. Stayed at the Downs for dinner and put some money on the trotters and didn't do very well there either. When the Downs first opened back up we used to get out there almost every weekend and I got pretty good at taking someone else's money home with me. But since they've expanded their purses and started attracting horses from further away we don't get out there nearly as much and I find it much harder to hit on anything of substance now. We aren't big money betters so it ends up being the cost of an evenings entertainment I guess. Now that it is getting colder the race crowds will be lighter. Might have to spend the last few weekends in the racing season doing some "research" for next year. :D

I have not been in Buffalo since 1994, please forgive any misremembering.

I only ever drank whiskey in a cocktail, and that only occasionally when out to dinner, until recently. There was a good restaurant on Kenmore avenue about 4 or 5 blocks east of Delaware that I cannot remember the name of. On the other side of Kenmore avenue (approximately) was Lala that had middle European food (good schnitzels).

One time the restaurant in question lost my reservation and we had to wait at the bar. The restaurant spotted me and my date a free drink while we waited. I had a bourbon Manhattan.

I was at my favorite Raleigh restaurant (Mo's Diner [not really a diner}) about a year ago. I felt like having a cocktail and ordered a bourbon Manhattan. It was great. I asked the waiter about it and he said it was made with Maker's Mark.

I bought a bottle and have been sampling it with water, over ice. I like it. :thumbsup:

I have not been in Buffalo since 1994, please forgive any misremembering.

I only ever drank whiskey in a cocktail, and that only occasionally when out to dinner, until recently. There was a good restaurant on Kenmore avenue about 4 or 5 blocks east of Delaware that I cannot remember the name of. On the other side of Kenmore avenue (approximately) was Lala that had middle European food (good schnitzels).

One time the restaurant in question lost my reservation and we had to wait at the bar. The restaurant spotted me and my date a free drink while we waited. I had a bourbon Manhattan.

I was at my favorite Raleigh restaurant (Mo's Diner [not really a diner}) about a year ago. I felt like having a cocktail and ordered a bourbon Manhattan. It was great. I asked the waiter about it and he said it was made with Maker's Mark.

I bought a bottle and have been sampling it with water, over ice. I like it. :thumbsup:

Sounds like another convert. :beer:

Just curious, How many of you posters out there in Sabrespace, other than Biodork, have started trying whiskey as a result of this thread?

Great question. A slight twist on the answer for me. I have drank name brands for some time but this thread has encouraged me to be more adventurous

Example I just bought a bottle of Labrot & Graham Woodford reserve, distiller's select on a whim(and it was on sale) based on reading about bourbons(single Barrel, etc.) in this thread. I tried it neat right out of the bottle and I have to say I actually tasted the vanilla with a nice leather/oak finish with a touch of smoke. What a delicious treat. I followed that one glass with a 1 finger Gentleman Jack night cap and it tasted horrible in comparison. Mind you Jack has been my standby.

Interesting point on your Bulliet Bday gift, I also tried a bottle of that in the spring as my regular golf bag accessory and wasn't sure if it was bourbon or frontier whiskey as it says on the bottle. I didn't know it was made by (or affiliated w/) four roses till I read it here but now I see why it's maybe so nice and smooth and it make great sipping with a good cigar.

I want to try some of the scotch's mentioned here. Glen livet 12 yr old is my standby but I would like to try some others. It would be great to be a bit more confident in what I am going to like. I have my eye on McCallum 12yr old but I think I need to do some taste testing first.

All and all a very cool thread and some pretty neat reading. With a wife, 3 young kids and a new puppy dog I don't have much time to post but I always find time to read, keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...

So my latest purchase is a bourbon labeled 1792 aka Ridgemount Reserve. It is Heaven Hill distillate that is barreled and bottled by another company. I kind of avoided it because most of the whiskey at it's price point is underewhelming.

This one is uncomplicated but smooth and at a proof level that pleases the masses. Really, a nice if basic pour that isn't at all objectionable. Easy on the palate and finushes a little sweet. It should be giving Maker's and Beam Black a run for their money.

Bio, add this one to the list of starter bourbons.

BTW, it tastes great 50/50 in eggnog

Enjoyed a bottle of four roses, Evan Williams and George Dickel at hunting camp. The four roses was obviously the best of the bunch, but the Dickel is a strong contender for entry level bourbon - relatively smooth for 90 proof, and a perfectly acceptable sipping whiskey with or without a beer back.

Also enjoyed a glass of Lagavulin 16 year old after dinner Friday Night. very smooth, but had a strong medicinal taste that I couldn't decide whether I liked.

Korab, I enjoy all 3 of those whiskeys. If you liked 4 roses give their single barrel bottling a try.

I will have to. I have to say that for hunting camp purposes, the 90 proof Dickel was a strong player, a little burn, but classic bourbon characteristics and smooth enough to sip. Drink enough and you sleep right through the farting and snoring in the bunkhouse without waking up 5 times to piss like when you drink all beer. Should you awake, another shot usually eases the process of falling back asleep amidst the din.

I will have to. I have to say that for hunting camp purposes, the 90 proof Dickel was a strong player, a little burn, but classic bourbon characteristics and smooth enough to sip. Drink enough and you sleep right through the farting and snoring in the bunkhouse without waking up 5 times to piss like when you drink all beer. Should you awake, another shot usually eases the process of falling back asleep amidst the din.

Dickel is my whiskey of choice.

So my latest purchase is a bourbon labeled 1792 aka Ridgemount Reserve. It is Heaven Hill distillate that is barreled and bottled by another company. I kind of avoided it because most of the whiskey at it's price point is underewhelming.

This one is uncomplicated but smooth and at a proof level that pleases the masses. Really, a nice if basic pour that isn't at all objectionable. Easy on the palate and finushes a little sweet. It should be giving Maker's and Beam Black a run for their money.

Bio, add this one to the list of starter bourbons.

BTW, it tastes great 50/50 in eggnog

1792 is good stuff.

In a land far, far away, at a time long, long ago, I remember enjoying a vodka gimlet before dinner one night. It was made with Smirnoff, and it was great. I bought a bottle of Smirnoff and some Roses Lime juice and the resulting cocktail was underwhelming. Anyone have a suggestion on how to make a really superb vodka gimlet? :unsure:

In a land far, far away, at a time long, long ago, I remember enjoying a vodka gimlet before dinner one night. It was made with Smirnoff, and it was great. I bought a bottle of Smirnoff and some Roses Lime juice and the resulting cocktail was underwhelming. Anyone have a suggestion on how to make a really superb vodka gimlet? :unsure:

1) Get better vodka (preferably Stoli or Grey Goose and up)... Smirnoff is not that good.

2) Try it with fresh lime juice and a little bit of sugar rather than with Roses... the stuff is basically lime flavored simple syrup.

This should help:

http://www.crumblycookie.net/2010/04/09/vodka-gimlet/

1) Get better vodka (preferably Stoli or Grey Goose and up)... Smirnoff is not that good.

2) Try it with fresh lime juice and a little bit of sugar rather than with Roses... the stuff is basically lime flavored simple syrup.

This should help:

http://www.crumblyco...9/vodka-gimlet/

Thanks. I think Smirnoff used to be good. A lot of good imported stuff had some US company buy the name and then the US company started selling their own, inferior stuff, under the import name.

Thanks. I think Smirnoff used to be good. A lot of good imported stuff had some US company buy the name and then the US company started selling their own, inferior stuff, under the import name.

This is going to sound pretty snobbish, but in most cases if you figure that 7 of 10 random people know/like the product there's something way better out there. My theory is when companies start worrying about big advertising, they stop worrying about making a quality product.

That could very well be true. Stoli is pretty good for the price point (about $20/bottle), and there are plenty of very good options up from there.

This is going to sound pretty snobbish, but in most cases if you figure that 7 of 10 random people know/like the product there's something way better out there. My theory is when companies start worrying about big advertising, they stop worrying about making a quality product.

Absolut comes to mind as an example of this... excellent marketing, horrible product. Stuff might as well be lighter fluid as far as I'm concerned.

That could very well be true. Stoli is pretty good for the price point (about $20/bottle), and there are plenty of very good options up from there.

Absolut comes to mind as an example of this... excellent marketing, horrible product. Stuff might as well be lighter fluid as far as I'm concerned.

Very much agreed on Absolut. At that price point, Skyy is a much cleaner-tasting vodka, as is Stoli. But yeah, Absolut has the cute ads.

(Chopin or Double Cross FTW, but I wouldn't mix them with lime juice for the same reason that I wouldn't use Blanton's in a Manhattan.)

Very much agreed on Absolut. At that price point, Skyy is a much cleaner-tasting vodka, as is Stoli. But yeah, Absolut has the cute ads.

(Chopin or Double Cross FTW, but I wouldn't mix them with lime juice for the same reason that I wouldn't use Blanton's in a Manhattan.)

Svedka is a great bargain vodka, but I have to say discussing vodka in a whisky/ey thread is taboo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.