Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Nifty soapstone glasses for chilling (but not diluting) your drink:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/mugs/e9e9/?cpg=165CP&link

They look like sake glasses, but neat idea. I've definitely struggled with getting the amount of ice right to chill but not ruin my scotch.

Ice? :doh:

J/K I find that I don;t need ice with good single malt. I do prefer a cube or two with some of my bourbons.

And I'm off to a local watering hole in a bit to have a dram or two of MacAllan 12. It's good to have a bar with a great whiskey selection within walking distance.

Edit- I would think that freezer temp is too cold for good whisky. Refrigerator temp may be about right though.

Ice? :doh:

J/K I find that I don;t need ice with good single malt. I do prefer a cube or two with some of my bourbons.

And I'm off to a local watering hole in a bit to have a dram or two of MacAllan 12. It's good to have a bar with a great whiskey selection within walking distance.

Edit- I would think that freezer temp is too cold for good whisky. Refrigerator temp may be about right though.

lol sorry, I'm still a noob with the whisky and trying to find the best way to drink it. :blush: Adding water to good liquor just feels wrong, but I need something to tone it down for me while I get acclimated. I'll get there!

Nifty soapstone glasses for chilling (but not diluting) your drink:

http://www.thinkgeek...?cpg=165CP

They look like sake glasses, but neat idea. I've definitely struggled with getting the amount of ice right to chill but not ruin my scotch.

I use the Glencairn glass almost exclusively, although I will use a white wine glass or tulip if one's not available.

Nothing wrong with the ice Bio. If that's how you like it, roll with it. A close friend of mine has been drinking single malt for decades, and swears by one cube. Who am I to go snob on him? I do anyway, but that has more to do with my self-centered narcissism than his taste in whisky ;)

That said, a few drops of water do wonders to whisky. Stick the tip of your finger in a glass of water, and make a quick tap motion downwards so the drops fall into the glass. Then a light swirl, nose it, then sip. Rinse. Repeat.

lol sorry, I'm still a noob with the whisky and trying to find the best way to drink it. :blush: Adding water to good liquor just feels wrong, but I need something to tone it down for me while I get acclimated. I'll get there!

Diluting alcohol is absolutely acceptable. The bottle proof is simply the starting point. People have been dilluting liquor and wine for thousands of years.

I suggest the book A History of the World in Six Glasses to everyone on this thread. Exceptional review of the global impact of alcohol and caffeine based beverages. I recieved it as a christmas present a few years ago in a basket witha bottle of italian wine, a six pack of Southern Tier beer, a bottle of Makers Mark, a can of english tea, a pound of sumatran coffee and a 20 oz coke. Best christmas present ever.

Diluting alcohol is absolutely acceptable. The bottle proof is simply the starting point. People have been dilluting liquor and wine for thousands of years.

I suggest the book A History of the World in Six Glasses to everyone on this thread. Exceptional review of the global impact of alcohol and caffeine based beverages. I recieved it as a christmas present a few years ago in a basket witha bottle of italian wine, a six pack of Southern Tier beer, a bottle of Makers Mark, a can of english tea, a pound of sumatran coffee and a 20 oz coke. Best christmas present ever.

Just finished that book last weekend. It's good.

And whisky needs a little water or a little ice to open it up, anyway.

I could never find it in buffalo but here in virginia I love a bottle of Dickel and its a reasonable price. Also for about double the price the barrel select is very very good.

I've wanted to try that but I haven't found it here in the PacNW. It's what the old man in the blues guitar movie "Crossroads" was drinking.

I'll chime in on my latest in whiskey tastes. I definitely go through phases. I had moved from drinking primarily Bushmill's and other Irish malts, Jameson, Tullamore, Michael Collins- to drinking Scotch. I had decided I enjoyed the blendeds more that the single malts and settled on the "affordable" Walker black. I bought a friend a bottle of J Walker green as a gift and he shared it with me. It was very good but I thought it was just a little smoother that the black. Not as far beyond black than the black is beyond red label, if that makes any sense. Well after a night of over indulgence of a bottle of single malt (half a bottle between two of us) I cannot enjoy the smoky flavor of scotch just yet. I am a 1,2 or 3 shot a night guy so a 1/4 bottle wrecked my world the next day. That being said I have started to acquire a taste for bourbon. I like Maker's, and REALLY like Hayden Basil though the $45 tag on that on keeps me from buying it very often. Woodford Reserve I enjoyed though it is not quite as smooth, I do like a good burn as it goes down. My latest bottle is Eagle Rare from the Buffalo Trace distillery. It as well is very good. As always I drink all my whisk(e)y's neat with maybe a glass of Canada Dry ginger ale to sip every so often to clear my pallet. Glad this thread was revived.

I've wanted to try that but I haven't found it here in the PacNW. It's what the old man in the blues guitar movie "Crossroads" was drinking.

I'll chime in on my latest in whiskey tastes. I definitely go through phases. I had moved from drinking primarily Bushmill's and other Irish malts, Jameson, Tullamore, Michael Collins- to drinking Scotch. I had decided I enjoyed the blendeds more that the single malts and settled on the "affordable" Walker black. I bought a friend a bottle of J Walker green as a gift and he shared it with me. It was very good but I thought it was just a little smoother that the black. Not as far beyond black than the black is beyond red label, if that makes any sense. Well after a night of over indulgence of a bottle of single malt (half a bottle between two of us) I cannot enjoy the smoky flavor of scotch just yet. I am a 1,2 or 3 shot a night guy so a 1/4 bottle wrecked my world the next day. That being said I have started to acquire a taste for bourbon. I like Maker's, and REALLY like Hayden Basil though the $45 tag on that on keeps me from buying it very often. Woodford Reserve I enjoyed though it is not quite as smooth, I do like a good burn as it goes down. My latest bottle is Eagle Rare from the Buffalo Trace distillery. It as well is very good. As always I drink all my whisk(e)y's neat with maybe a glass of Canada Dry ginger ale to sip every so often to clear my pallet. Glad this thread was revived.

Have you tried MacAllan and Oban yet? They are both very low in smoke and peat.

I ended up sitting down to a flight of bourbons last night. Parker's Heritage cask strength, Russell's Reserve, and Jefferson's Reserve. Started out with the lowest priced of the three, Russell's Reserve. It's a Wild Turkey product. Served neat. Smooth and a little sweet. Nice caramel flavors. It had a floral note in the nose that I never get out of other Wild Turkey product. Enjoyed it alot. Parkers was next. Also served neat. I didn't realize it was 124 proof when I ordered it. Yeah, it was a touch hot. It also had alot of barrel notes, heavy in vanilla and caramel, and a touch woody as well. Definitely needed a touch of water to settle it down enough to enjoy it. Jeffersons was the last pour. It comes from a small microdistillery in Kentucky. Served neat. Caramel was the dominant impression. But smooth, soft, and very drinkable. Almost fruity on the tongue before a long barrel finish. It was the lightest flavored of the three. Tasted very much like a wheated bourbon to me.

Of the three, Russell's Reserve was my favorite. Good thing I was walking because I had a pint of Ithaca Cascazilla on tap while I was there too. :D

Tried something a little different this weekend: Michael Collins 10-year, Single Malt, *IRISH* whiskey. Really good, although if I didn't know I'd have figured it was Scots Whisky. Certainly went down in well in the wee hours after baking in the sun all day Saturday.

That said, a few drops of water do wonders to whisky. Stick the tip of your finger in a glass of water, and make a quick tap motion downwards so the drops fall into the glass. Then a light swirl, nose it, then sip. Rinse. Repeat.

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

I suggest the book A History of the World in Six Glasses to everyone on this thread. Exceptional review of the global impact of alcohol and caffeine based beverages. I recieved it as a christmas present a few years ago in a basket with a bottle of italian wine, a six pack of Southern Tier beer, a bottle of Makers Mark, a can of english tea, a pound of sumatran coffee and a 20 oz coke. Best christmas present ever.

Sounds like a great present and a very cool book; thanks for the tip!

My favorite mid-priced whiskeys are:

Bourbon: Maker's Mark, Bulleit, Knob Creek

Canadian: Pendelton by a mile. Very unique vanilla flavor. Yum.

Scotch: Not a big fan. You have to spend a pretty penny to get something that doesn't taste like tree bark. Bushmills is a great compromise. It's similar in flavor to good Scotch but much milder and very smooth at a great price point.

IMHO, the best bargain in cheap whiskey is Old Forester. This will help you stay under budget when you become a raging whiskey addict. It's similar in flavor to Maker's but marginally less smooth.

Another tip is to try a Manhattan. Pretty simple recipe: 1 part sweet vermouth to 3 or 4 parts whiskey. Garnish with a cherry and/or a dash of bitters. If you order one at a bar they will serve it like a martini (shaken, in a foo-foo glass). It's not bad this way but you will look like a tool with the martini glass and will probably spill half of it as well. I like to order mine on the rocks so there's some ice to smooth things out and a rocks glass to keep things contained and looking masculine. Manhattans are also a great way to improve the flavor of cheaper bourbons.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever go to one of these events? If only I were rich. :(

Whiskyfest

They had something very similar to this but bourbon-centric last year in Saratoga around October. A buddy and I were going to attend but we couldn't get it in the schedule. They had 3 "levels" of ticket, with each higher level giving access to higer priced whiskeys. And there was a really large selection of micro brews available too. I haven't found anything on it this year so I think it was a one-off event. :cry:

Any of you folks ever get out to Lewiston? There are a couple of bars there with fantastic bourbon selections. The Village Pub has a good bourbon list and a smaller but decent Scotch selection too. And The Brickyard Pub and BBQ has a really good bourbon selection (and lots of micro brews too).

I was in Lewiston yesterday evening to take in the Ted Nugent concert at ArtPark. Before the show we hit the Brickyard for dinner and to lube up a bit. One of the quirky little things on their menu is that each BBQ platter gets you 2 sides to choose. One of the choices is a shot of Evan Williams. I've never seen a place that offers a shot of whiskey as a side dish. Anywho.... after our meal we bellied up to the bar for an after dinner drink. Their selection is quite good with a number of bourbons I've never seen offered in a bar locally. I choose the Rip Van Winkle neat, buddy went with Blanton's. The Winkle was smooth but assertive, a touch spicy, and had a huge vanilla character to it. And at $6 a glass didn't hurt on the wallet. Ended up having a 2nd glass before we headed in to catch the opening act.

BTW- whatever you think of Uncle Ted's politics, the dude still knows how to rock and is a fantastic entertainer. And at 63 he can still make a guitar cry out for mercy. Just make sure you've worn your thick skin if your politics don't agree with his. :blink:

Any of you folks ever get out to Lewiston? There are a couple of bars there with fantastic bourbon selections. The Village Pub has a good bourbon list and a smaller but decent Scotch selection too. And The Brickyard Pub and BBQ has a really good bourbon selection (and lots of micro brews too).

I was in Lewiston yesterday evening to take in the Ted Nugent concert at ArtPark. Before the show we hit the Brickyard for dinner and to lube up a bit. One of the quirky little things on their menu is that each BBQ platter gets you 2 sides to choose. One of the choices is a shot of Evan Williams. I've never seen a place that offers a shot of whiskey as a side dish. Anywho.... after our meal we bellied up to the bar for an after dinner drink. Their selection is quite good with a number of bourbons I've never seen offered in a bar locally. I choose the Rip Van Winkle neat, buddy went with Blanton's. The Winkle was smooth but assertive, a touch spicy, and had a huge vanilla character to it. And at $6 a glass didn't hurt on the wallet. Ended up having a 2nd glass before we headed in to catch the opening act.

BTW- whatever you think of Uncle Ted's politics, the dude still knows how to rock and is a fantastic entertainer. And at 63 he can still make a guitar cry out for mercy. Just make sure you've worn your thick skin if your politics don't agree with his. :blink:

Now I have to go. Anyone want to drive me home?

• 1 month later...

ba-bump. Oh Weave... We are all waiting for an account of your latest exploits. It's like waiting for the next issue of penthouse forum.

Aroused. Def my favorite OT thread ever.

In lieu of Weave's detail, I will provide a snippet of my own. Was home a few weeks this past August, and was gifted with 2 international single malts that were out of this world (hah, excuse the pun):

1) Yamazaki 12y - Japan, 93 rating; Gold Medal 2006 BTI; Very nice whisky, though light on the tongue and the finish absolutely bottoms out.

2) Amrut Fusion - India; Malt Advocate's "World Whisky of the Year." AWESOME. Very peaty, I thought I was sampling an Islay before they revealed. Going to be a staple in the cabinet.

Recently bought Ledaig 10y from the Isle of Mull. Meh, just ok. Very light body, athough it is smooth.

Aroused. Def my favorite OT thread ever.

In lieu of Weave's detail, I will provide a snippet of my own. Was home a few weeks this past August, and was gifted with 2 international single malts that were out of this world (hah, excuse the pun):

1) Yamazaki 12y - Japan, 93 rating; Gold Medal 2006 BTI; Very nice whisky, though light on the tongue and the finish absolutely bottoms out.

2) Amrut Fusion - India; Malt Advocate's "World Whisky of the Year." AWESOME. Very peaty, I thought I was sampling an Islay before they revealed. Going to be a staple in the cabinet.

Recently bought Ledaig 10y from the Isle of Mull. Meh, just ok. Very light body, athough it is smooth.

Thanks for that tease. I am in the market for a new bottle - have exhausted the local supply of Irish, so I am going back to Scotch. I like big bold high alcohol kick you in the mouth scotch. I don't have much experience with Islays, and haven't kept any notes of prior tastings, but want to pick up a bottle - any recommendations?

Got bottles of Bushmill's Malt, Woodford Reserve, and Buffalo Trace from friends during the last month.

It will take me a while to get through it all, but I'm up to the task. Especially excited about the Buffalo Trace.

Haven't tried it alone (yet), but I've had an apple smash and a manhattan with the Buffalo Trace and it's good!

Thanks for that tease. I am in the market for a new bottle - have exhausted the local supply of Irish, so I am going back to Scotch. I like big bold high alcohol kick you in the mouth scotch. I don't have much experience with Islays, and haven't kept any notes of prior tastings, but want to pick up a bottle - any recommendations?

I would pick up a bottle of Macallan Cask Strength. It won't break the bank, been awhile since I was in Premier in Buff but believe you can get it for around $55. It'll kick you in the mouth......116 proof.

ba-bump. Oh Weave... We are all waiting for an account of your latest exploits. It's like waiting for the next issue of penthouse forum.

LOL

I didn't realize that this thread was so........ intoxicating. :P

Been a bit busy for serious study of barrel aged distillate but I guess I can offer some recent developments. Bear with me as I've just returned from a visit with a new find, and yes, it is whiskey related and the good wife had the car keys this evening. :thumbsup:

I expect that a most of you Rochesterians are aware of Mahan's in Brockport. Fair sized liquor store with a very nice whisk(e)y selection and prices that beat Premier in Buffalo. I did manage to stop in there a couple weeks ago to add to the cabinet. Picked up a couple new-to-me bottles, Russel's Reserve Bourbon made by Wild Turkey and on a lurch I picked up a bottle of Old Whiskey River, a bourbon label by none other than that bud luvin county hero himself, Willie Nelson, not sure who actually makes it for good ole Willy. They have good prices and a decent selection for Scotch as well. I also grabbed a bottle of Macallan 12. The had a bottle of Oban 14 for $44 which is a great price in my 'hood but I'd already spent my budget and will have to come back for that one.

Sooo.... Russell's Reserve is classic Wild Turkey, but it's a premium label and adds a little complexity to the usual Turkey offerings. It is aged a bit longer and the vanilla and caramel really comes out. Smooth, little bite, a touch of spice and leather. I bet this one is fantastic with a Cohiba. The Old Whiskey River is a fairly inexpensive bottling and I didn't expect much. It is spicy, has a hint of caramel, and is rather uncomplicated. Short but not unpleasant finish. What do you expect for a $20 bottle? On ice it is a nice, simple drink but not one I'd write home about. Nonetheless, it's not bad really. I expected something more akin to Rebel Yell or Old Crow so I was pleasantly suprised when it wasn't bad at all. I guess I get lucky sometimes.

As for this evening..... Batavia... I know, it's a dead zone right? I stumbled upon a neat little place there, just off Main St. downtown. It's called Bourbon and Burger. Fairly new place. Their menu is 80% burgers (go figure) and they have a very nice selection of bourbons. Scotch and Irish is underrepresented but the bourbon list is strong and the bartender tells me that it is constantly changing. They had everything from Parker's (a boutique and very expensive 27yr label from Heaven Hill distillery) to Jim Beam. And.... weeknights feature bourbon flights, any three bourbons for $10. Each "sample" is about 2.5oz so 7.5oz of good stuff for 10 bones is a great deal. I don't know how they are making any money with the flights. I went with the high end stuff, Parker's, Russell's Reserve, and Blanton's. Blanton's is a favorite of mine. The Parker's was a bit disappointing, almost woody tasting. Too much time in the barrel for my tastes. Russel's is great stuff, heavy caramel and vanilla. And Blanton's is spicy, leathery, and almost floral, with big hints of vanilla from the time in the barrel.

Anywho.... hope this helps get Korab through the night.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.