How do you feel about posts regarding impossible trades/RFA signings?

nfreeman

Legitimate hockey talk or annoying blather?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. We're all aware of the recent surge in posts saying "I know this won't happen, but..." and advocating trading for/signing Stamkos, Malkin, Kesler, Weber, Sharp, Couture, Pavelski, etc. How do you feel about these posts?

• Legitimate hockey talk
    • Far-fetched, but harmless and/or mildly enjoyable
    • So unrealistic and useless that these posts annoyingly clutter up whatever thread they're in, and I'm annoyed by new threads dedicated to them
    • So effing stupid that the posters in question should land in the slammer with toddkaz, the Brain and the other serial killers

Well, you're one of the chief purveyors of the theories that I find objectionable, but all the same, a hearty welcome to you and your wife, who is obviously a good Sabres fan.

Thanks for the welcome, this is mrs. dd88 and don't feel alone. Him and I don't always agree on the Sabres either. I am the bigger fan, but the irony is, he is usually right. I think there is something wrong with that, very wrong with that :D

And I'm sure mr. dd88 will see this tomorrow after work.....so :nana: (turn off the hall light when you come to bed dammit) ;)

Mats Sundin would have made a great Sabre. As for the here and now fantasy, I think Stastny would make a good Sabre, Brad Richards too. Shea Weber definitely. I don't know if I want Briere back, or Drury. I don't think the same feeling would return to the team if either/or returned. Pronger would be great if he stays healthy. I don't think Crosby would make a good Sabre. His skin isn't thick enough and his lips are swollen from too much breast-feeding. Parise would fit in. I lost my train of thought, can't think of anymore ideal Sabres.

I'm on the fence. I like keeping the beef on weck but not sure about losing the wings.

What if we gave them beef on weck but held on to wings?

If they did that, then poor PA would be right out. ;)

Of course I'm 1 to talk, he's probably only 1 year older than me. :cry:

It's not about how old you are physical. It's about how old you are mentally. PA's blowing all of us away in that department.

I'm bumping this thread not to revive the discussion of any particular impossible trade/RFA signing, or of how acceptable/unacceptable such conversations are, but simply to ask: what happened to the Summer 2011 thread? It got locked and then deleted? Was the OP of that thread embarrassed by it? Was a moderator unable to stand the BS content? Where is the home now for all of the new brilliant ideas about trading for Kane/Malkin/Kesler/Staal?

I'm bumping this thread not to revive the discussion of any particular impossible trade/RFA signing, or of how acceptable/unacceptable such conversations are, but simply to ask: what happened to the Summer 2011 thread? It got locked and then deleted? Was the OP of that thread embarrassed by it? Was a moderator unable to stand the BS content? Where is the home now for all of the new brilliant ideas about trading for Kane/Malkin/Kesler/Staal?

I'm still waiting for someone to answer my question on what makes a trade/RFA signing impossible.

I would like all of these "NHL Insiders" to release their sources of impossibility.

And the Sabres faithful wonder :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for someone to answer my question on what makes a trade/RFA signing impossible.

I would like all of these "NHL Insiders" to release their sources of impossibility.

Ya, some possible trade ideas tread on outrageous but why not let ppl dream. Even if you wanted it banned or whatever then it comes down to identifying which players are really untouchable. Stamkos isnt going anywhere period. But you had mentioned Pavalski and Sharp in there. Although unlikely, posters have made arguments (generally cap relief) as to why the other team might make the deal. Harmless in my opinion. Those posts are actually a fresh change from the 'Tim Connolly is a bum' and 'Lindy Ruff is a terrible coach' endless threads. I think those posts annoy me more....

You've presumably been watching hockey for a long time. Can you describe a single instance in which a player like Malkin or Kesler or Kane was traded in a straight hockey trade? i.e. not a situation like Gretzky, where it was money-driven, or like Heatley, where he demanded a trade -- simply a GM who had a great player that was a big part of the team deciding to trade him?

As for Stamkos, can you describe a single situation in which an RFA who was an elite player was lost to an offer sheet from another team?

The answer to both is that it doesn't happen. Players like that are too rare and too valuable. That's why it's impossible, EVEN if the Sabres are willing to part with both Pommer (a decent player who disappears in crunch time and is wildly overpaid) and Stafford (a career underachiever having a productive albeit injury-ridden contract year).

Ya, some possible trade ideas tread on outrageous but why not let ppl dream. Even if you wanted it banned or whatever then it comes down to identifying which players are really untouchable. Stamkos isnt going anywhere period. But you had mentioned Pavalski and Sharp in there. Although unlikely, posters have made arguments (generally cap relief) as to why the other team might make the deal. Harmless in my opinion. Those posts are actually a fresh change from the 'Tim Connolly is a bum' and 'Lindy Ruff is a terrible coach' endless threads. I think those posts annoy me more....

I have no problem with letting people dream. I just think it should be confined to a designated fantasy thread, and not pollute the other threads. That's why I asked about the fate of the Summer 2011 thread, as it was a good repository for those posts, which I could check whenever I felt like seeing the latest round of BS being slung.

You've presumably been watching hockey for a long time. Can you describe a single instance in which a player like Malkin or Kesler or Kane was traded in a straight hockey trade? i.e. not a situation like Gretzky, where it was money-driven, or like Heatley, where he demanded a trade -- simply a GM who had a great player that was a big part of the team deciding to trade him?

As for Stamkos, can you describe a single situation in which an RFA who was an elite player was lost to an offer sheet from another team?

The answer to both is that it doesn't happen. Players like that are too rare and too valuable. That's why it's impossible, EVEN if the Sabres are willing to part with both Pommer (a decent player who disappears in crunch time and is wildly overpaid) and Stafford (a career underachiever having a productive albeit injury-ridden contract year).

Yeah, but wouldn't it be cool if it DID happen???

I have no problem with letting people dream. I just think it should be confined to a designated fantasy thread, and not pollute the other threads. That's why I asked about the fate of the Summer 2011 thread, as it was a good repository for those posts, which I could check whenever I felt like seeing the latest round of BS being slung.

+

post-1934-076513200 1300299974_thumb.gif

Can you describe a single instance in which a player like Malkin or Kesler or Kane was traded in a straight hockey trade?

Dale Hawerchuck for Phil Housley, you could make an argument for the Mogilny-Peca trade too. Wasn't Joe Thorton a straight up hockey trade as well?

I agree with your basic premise but there are examples out there. The only recent one I can think of is Thorton. It seems that big star trades ended for all intents and purposes with the advent of real free agency though.

Fair enough, but could we also get another thread while we're at it for the constant TC bit&hing seeing as he'll be gone come July 1st anyways. Sorry, I know it's a little off topic, but I felt like this is a thread we could rant in.

What are you talking about impossible? Don't you remember Esposito & Vadnais for Park, Ratelle, & Zanussi followed up later that next off-season with Middleton for Hodge?

Heck, trades like that happen every day. ;)

I have been watching hockey for 40 years.

The questions you ask don't answer my question. You've throwin out a red-herring with these questions in an attempt to avoid the simple answer I was waiting for, that in point of fact, it is at the very least, a possibility that these trades and/or RFA signings are plausible at this time given the circumstances.

Remember, I wasn't asking whether or not it was reasonable to expect such moves, I was merely asking why they are currently impossible. The answer is, there not impossible, no matter how improbable. Therefore, it's reasonable to deduce that they are discussion worthy at this time.

I have been watching hockey for 40 years.

The questions you ask don't answer my question. You've throwin out a red-herring with these questions in an attempt to avoid the simple answer I was waiting for, that in point of fact, it is at the very least, a possibility that these trades and/or RFA signings are plausible at this time given the circumstances.

Remember, I wasn't asking whether or not it was reasonable to expect such moves, I was merely asking why they are currently impossible. The answer is, there not impossible, no matter how improbable. Therefore, it's reasonable to deduce that they are discussion worthy at this time.

What exactly is the red herring that I've thrown out?

What "circumstances" exist that make "plausible" the acquisitions of Stamkos, Malkin, Kane, Kesler, etc.?

Is it possible that a hockey player with 2 heads will emerge from Russia, sign with the Sabres and score 4 goals per game for the rest of the year? Well, I can't prove that's impossible, so I guess it's possible. That doesn't mean that every thread on this board should be polluted with discussion about this possibility.

What exactly is the red herring that I've thrown out?

What "circumstances" exist that make "plausible" the acquisitions of Stamkos, Malkin, Kane, Kesler, etc.?

Is it possible that a hockey player with 2 heads will emerge from Russia, sign with the Sabres and score 4 goals per game for the rest of the year? Well, I can't prove that's impossible, so I guess it's possible. That doesn't mean that every thread on this board should be polluted with discussion about this possibility.

A red herring is a deliberate attempt to divert attention. Your questions diverted attention away from my question, which still stands as to why it's impossible for these moves.

As for Stamkos, simply put, he is still unsigned, he could conceivably reach the RFA offer sheet period.

I haven't mentioned Malkin or Kesler, I did however, post an article from the Ottawa Sun on the Kane to Buffalo rumor and asked if anyone knew of this had any legs to it or just another whisper in the wind.

In short, both my wife and I responded to the Stamkos idea and found it to be plausible at this time, even if it appears improbable given that Tampa would most likely re-sign him before July 1st.

But I'm guessing you are by now aware I see no harm in the fans discussing such possibilities on a message board that pertains to the team.

I never liked her anyways. If you want to delete the thread, that's ok, I'm just trying to have a little fun at the expense of some challenged posters.

Nah, that thread was like the falling down the stair dream. Kept having it over and over and over

You know what, I did confine my comments there and never posted in a game discussion thread about how we should trade for Pavelski.... but hey you guys ruined it, Labatt and you and others. So now I guess that means we should all post in w/e :censored: thread we feel like. I think I will use one of the 30 threads about player a,b,or c or ruff where people bring up the same sh*t repeatedly and kick the dead horse until its a pile of masticated meat lying in a puddle of blood. :death:

It used to happen all the time. I would argue that the Salary Cap and the incredible rise in popularity of the No Trade Clause to a great extent has prevented blockbuster trades from happening. For example, Cliff Fletcher used to be the master of this including his two trades for Doug Gilmour, once with Calgary and once again with Toronto. I think the blockbuster trade ended and all you get these days are salary dumps to playoff teams for prospects and picks. There are no longer blockbuster trades where one superstar is traded to another team for that team's superstar. They used to happen a lot prior to 2005. Not all the time, but a lot more frequently than they do now and I think it's mainly because of the salary cap and the rise in no trade/no movement clauses. That's my thought.

It used to happen all the time. I would argue that the Salary Cap and the incredible rise in popularity of the No Trade Clause to a great extent has prevented blockbuster trades from happening. For example, Cliff Fletcher used to be the master of this including his two trades for Doug Gilmour, once with Calgary and once again with Toronto. I think the blockbuster trade ended and all you get these days are salary dumps to playoff teams for prospects and picks. There are no longer blockbuster trades where one superstar is traded to another team for that team's superstar. They used to happen a lot prior to 2005. Not all the time, but a lot more frequently than they do now and I think it's mainly because of the salary cap and the rise in no trade/no movement clauses. That's my thought.

But the Gilmour trade to Calgary was a product of him wanting / needing to get out of St. Louis. It doesn't really meet the definition of what n was looking for.

Archived