Post your Qs for Pegula

PASabreFan

I know this topic is incredibly duplicative. (Hope that's a word; it's Monday.)

But I thought it would be very useful if everyone posted the one (or two or three) question you'd want to ask Pegula if you were given a mic. Pull together our many discussions in one place. Really get to the heart of the matter.

If someone beats you to it, maybe hit the green plus sign bottom right so we can get an idea what the most popular questions are.

Tomorrow, after the presser, I'll try to revisit the questions and fill in what Terry finally had to say on the record.

Not saying that I'd expect to get an answer but here's what I'd like to know.

Who are the people that you've been consulting with as you plan to remake the team into what you expect to be a winner?

Which organization would you say your philosophy on how to build and maintain a team would most resemble?

What are your priorities as you take over the team?

The Sabres have used the free agent market to make tweaks to the team, but never go for the 'splashy' big name; would you be more open to going after a big name (say a Brad Richards if the Dallas ownership isn't resolved prior to him hitting the FA market) and would going after a big name be a centerpiece of your off-season plan?

Besides Plus 1 ing Taros's questions I would like to know Mr P ;

Have you been watching the team this year ?

If yes what do you see hockey play wise that you would like to change right away ?

From an organ'eye'zation standpoint what is the teams biggest issue you plan to tackle ?

To flesh out my question about why he's buying the team, I'd like to know if he has any political ambitions and if the public debate about fracking in New York State has anything to do with his purchase? (Not that he would admit anything.)

Two trains leave train stations 500 miles from HSBC arena. They are both heading towards the arena, but train A is only capable of traveling at a top speed of 30mph. Train B, while capable of 50mph, is carrying 10 tons more passengers than Train A. This reduces Train B's top speed by 0.05mph per pound. Which train gets Tim Connolly out of here the fastest?

Two trains leave train stations 500 miles from HSBC arena. They are both heading towards the arena, but train A is only capable of traveling at a top speed of 30mph. Train B, while capable of 50mph, is carrying 10 tons more passengers than Train A. This reduces Train B's top speed by 0.05mph per pound. Which train gets Tim Connolly out of here the fastest?

Neither - they are both heading towards the arena.

How long have you been thinking about owning the Sabres? Did it start when you were out drilling in the woods one day, not nearly rich enough to actually do it? Or did the thought emerge when you knew you'd be a billionaire some day (or the day you became a billionaire)?

1. Do you see yourself having an influence on potential player transactions before the trade deadline? Will Ted Black?

2. In your view, is the team struggling purely due to talent? Team leadership? The "system" they play? Please elaborate.

3. You're seen as an owner with deep pockets, but throwing money at this thing wouldn't be the right way to build a champion. What is the RIGHT process for building a Cup winner?

4. Will you live in Buffalo during the season? How often will you personally attend Sabres games?

5. WHAT COMMITMENTS ARE YOU WILLING TO MAKE DIRECTLY TO THE FANS OF BUFFALO, WHO HAVE DEMONSTRATED FOUR DECADES OF PASSION AND LOVE FOR THIS TEAM?

Your thoughts on 7-1-07? :rolleyes:

this would be a very interesting question to ask. i would love to hear his thoughts on it. unfortunately i think we all know pegula isn't going to come in here and start throwing hay makers at the old regime, or criticizing the way things have been run and the decisions those before him made... so he'd give some politically correct answer about only wanting to look forward etc etc. but i would really like to know his thoughts.

this would be a very interesting question to ask. i would love to hear his thoughts on it. unfortunately i think we all know pegula isn't going to come in here and start throwing hay makers at the old regime, or criticizing the way things have been run and the decisions those before him made... so he'd give some politically correct answer about only wanting to look forward etc etc. but i would really like to know his thoughts.

I'd say the exact opposite. That question is what Buffalo is all about, dwelling on the past. People need to ask about what they're going to do moving forward, not about things that happened 3 years ago.

As promised: (Did the best I could quickly. Please offer any corrections/additions.)

1. Why are you buying the team?

Well, he said he'd drill another gas well if he wanted to make money. In the end, it's fair to say it's all about a longtime dream of owning the Sabres and bringing a Stanley Cup to Buffalo.

2. So, how soon before we can expect the Stanley Cup Finals back in Buffalo?

He said after the presser he wanted to win a Cup within three years. The finals could always arrive earlier. :)

3. Who are the people that you've been consulting with as you plan to remake the team into what you expect to be a winner?

He said on NHLN he's talked to some people who've gone through the process of buying a team and heard about their mistakes. He said he'd talked to Art Rooney, but must have meant Dan. Ken Sawyer emerges as the senior advisor and Ted Black as the leader of Team Pegula during the purchase process. Said he talked to all manner of people in the game about Ruff and Regier.

4. Which organization would you say your philosophy on how to build and maintain a team would most resemble?

Quoted Art Rooney several times, so presumably the Steelers. Said he's like to emulate the Red Wings.

5. What are your priorities as you take over the team? / From an organ'eye'zation standpoint what is the teams biggest issue you plan to tackle?

Ending the financial mandate on the hockey department, investing in non-cap areas like player development, scouting and player amenities, "finding, developing and retaining the best players." Said player development coaches would be hired; sounded like that was going to happen pretty quickly. Will work on the "feel good stuff" like arena niceities and lockerroom improvements before the end of the season.

6. The Sabres have used the free agent market to make tweaks to the team, but never go for the 'splashy' big name; would you be more open to going after a big name (say a Brad Richards if the Dallas ownership isn't resolved prior to him hitting the FA market) and would going after a big name be a centerpiece of your off-season plan?

Not asked, I don't think.

7. Will you be bringing in a new GM to fire the coach and purge the roster?

Uh, no.

8. Have you been watching the team this year ?

Seemed to want to evade this question, which was asked twice. Only game he talked about was the St. Louis game. Said he had heard bits and pieces of the Capitals game. Had to ask how many games the Sabres had played. I didn't get the impression he's been hanging on every game.

9. If yes what do you see hockey play wise that you would like to change right away? / In your view, is the team struggling purely due to talent? Team leadership? The "system" they play? Please elaborate.

Asked, not answered.

10. To flesh out my question about why he's buying the team, I'd like to know if he has any political ambitions and if the public debate about fracking in New York State has anything to do with his purchase? (Not that he would admit anything.)

Said afterwards he had no political ambitions, although he would continue to donate to political candidates.

11. Will STH ticket prices be raised next season and any chance tiered box office pricing will be eliminated?

No plans to raise ticket prices. Not asked about tiered pricing.

12. How long have you been thinking about owning the Sabres? Did it start when you were out drilling in the woods one day, not nearly rich enough to actually do it? Or did the thought emerge when you knew you'd be a billionaire some day (or the day you became a billionaire)?

Says he's been thinking about it for a long time, long before he had any ability to do so. Said everyone laughed at him when he mentioned it. Says a magazine article exists from the early 90s where he says his goal is to own a hockey team. Didn't get serious until last spring.

13. Your thoughts on 7-1-07?

Not asked. On a somewhat related note, was asked if Darcy had to come to him for approval of trades, big free agent signings etc. "Why wouldn't I?" Unclear if he meant why wouldn't he approve what Darcy wants vs. why wouldn't he require approval.

14. Do you see yourself having an influence on potential player transactions before the trade deadline? Will Ted Black?

Said he didn't know what was "in the mill." Any move would have to have the future in mind.

15. You're seen as an owner with deep pockets, but throwing money at this thing wouldn't be the right way to build a champion. What is the RIGHT process for building a Cup winner?

Back to Art Rooney's quote: “Panic doesn’t seem to work. Our philosophy is you pick good people and try to stick with them. If you have the people in place, you always have a chance to be successful.”

16. Will you live in Buffalo during the season? How often will you personally attend Sabres games?

No. He'll be in and out of Buffalo. Isn't willing to "lose" his family. Wants to eat dinner with them. Says he can be in touch using technology. Says he ran his oil and gas business from Hilton Head and Florida for 10 years. Joked that his business associates liked it that way, and the company flourished under that arrangement.

17. WHAT COMMITMENTS ARE YOU WILLING TO MAKE DIRECTLY TO THE FANS OF BUFFALO, WHO HAVE DEMONSTRATED FOUR DECADES OF PASSION AND LOVE FOR THIS TEAM?

"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup."

As promised: (Did the best I could quickly. Please offer any corrections/additions.)

1. Why are you buying the team?

Well, he said he'd drill another gas well if he wanted to make money. In the end, it's fair to say it's all about a longtime dream of owning the Sabres and bringing a Stanley Cup to Buffalo.

2. So, how soon before we can expect the Stanley Cup Finals back in Buffalo?

He said after the presser he wanted to win a Cup within three years. The finals could always arrive earlier. :)

3. Who are the people that you've been consulting with as you plan to remake the team into what you expect to be a winner?

He said on NHLN he's talked to some people who've gone through the process of buying a team and heard about their mistakes. He said he'd talked to Art Rooney, but must have meant Dan. Ken Sawyer emerges as the senior advisor and Ted Black as the leader of Team Pegula during the purchase process. Said he talked to all manner of people in the game about Ruff and Regier.

4. Which organization would you say your philosophy on how to build and maintain a team would most resemble?

Quoted Art Rooney several times, so presumably the Steelers. Said he's like to emulate the Red Wings.

5. What are your priorities as you take over the team? / From an organ'eye'zation standpoint what is the teams biggest issue you plan to tackle?

Ending the financial mandate on the hockey department, investing in non-cap areas like player development, scouting and player amenities, "finding, developing and retaining the best players." Said player development coaches would be hired; sounded like that was going to happen pretty quickly. Will work on the "feel good stuff" like arena niceities and lockerroom improvements before the end of the season.

6. The Sabres have used the free agent market to make tweaks to the team, but never go for the 'splashy' big name; would you be more open to going after a big name (say a Brad Richards if the Dallas ownership isn't resolved prior to him hitting the FA market) and would going after a big name be a centerpiece of your off-season plan?

Not asked, I don't think.

7. Will you be bringing in a new GM to fire the coach and purge the roster?

Uh, no.

8. Have you been watching the team this year ?

Seemed to want to evade this question, which was asked twice. Only game he talked about was the St. Louis game. Said he had heard bits and pieces of the Capitals game. Had to ask how many games the Sabres had played. I didn't get the impression he's been hanging on every game.

9. If yes what do you see hockey play wise that you would like to change right away? / In your view, is the team struggling purely due to talent? Team leadership? The "system" they play? Please elaborate.

Asked, not answered.

10. To flesh out my question about why he's buying the team, I'd like to know if he has any political ambitions and if the public debate about fracking in New York State has anything to do with his purchase? (Not that he would admit anything.)

Said afterwards he had no political ambitions, although he would continue to donate to political candidates.

11. Will STH ticket prices be raised next season and any chance tiered box office pricing will be eliminated?

No plans to raise ticket prices. Not asked about tiered pricing.

12. How long have you been thinking about owning the Sabres? Did it start when you were out drilling in the woods one day, not nearly rich enough to actually do it? Or did the thought emerge when you knew you'd be a billionaire some day (or the day you became a billionaire)?

Says he's been thinking about it for a long time, long before he had any ability to do so. Said everyone laughed at him when he mentioned it. Says a magazine article exists from the early 90s where he says his goal is to own a hockey team. Didn't get serious until last spring.

13. Your thoughts on 7-1-07?

Not asked. On a somewhat related note, was asked if Darcy had to come to him for approval of trades, big free agent signings etc. "Why wouldn't I?" Unclear if he meant why wouldn't he approve what Darcy wants vs. why wouldn't he require approval.

14. Do you see yourself having an influence on potential player transactions before the trade deadline? Will Ted Black?

Said he didn't know what was "in the mill." Any move would have to have the future in mind.

15. You're seen as an owner with deep pockets, but throwing money at this thing wouldn't be the right way to build a champion. What is the RIGHT process for building a Cup winner?

Back to Art Rooney's quote: “Panic doesn’t seem to work. Our philosophy is you pick good people and try to stick with them. If you have the people in place, you always have a chance to be successful.”

16. Will you live in Buffalo during the season? How often will you personally attend Sabres games?

No. He'll be in and out of Buffalo. Isn't willing to "lose" his family. Wants to eat dinner with them. Says he can be in touch using technology. Says he ran his oil and gas business from Hilton Head and Florida for 10 years. Joked that his business associates liked it that way, and the company flourished under that arrangement.

17. WHAT COMMITMENTS ARE YOU WILLING TO MAKE DIRECTLY TO THE FANS OF BUFFALO, WHO HAVE DEMONSTRATED FOUR DECADES OF PASSION AND LOVE FOR THIS TEAM?

"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup."

Thanks for the update and he could have meant Art II or Art Jr.

Archived