Winter Classic

Doohickie

They might not even have ice to skate on, and it might not be safe in the stands. Intellicast says the high will be near 50. It will be raining and there is even a chance of thunderstorms.

Oops. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to let them play a second Winter Classic before other teams played their first.

:clapping:

They might not even have ice to skate on, and it might not be safe in the stands. Intellicast says the high will be near 50. It will be raining and there is even a chance of thunderstorms.

Oops. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to let them play a second Winter Classic before other teams played their first.

Not fer nothin', but that sucks. Hate Pittsburgh all you want, but the Winter Classic is awesome and great for hockey. If it isn't played on Saturday it would suck. I love watching it no matter who plays in it, and Wash v Pitt would be a great game. Did I mention it would suck if they didn't play it.

I don't wish ill of the game in Pittsburgh but it is a damned shame that Pittsburgh gets to host one before cities like Montreal or Calgary. I am certain that P-burgh only gets to host it because of Crosby and that is too bad because P-burgh is really a borderline city for a game like this, and the forecast for NYD shows this.

I don't wish ill of the game in Pittsburgh but it is a damned shame that Pittsburgh gets to host one before cities like Montreal or Calgary. I am certain that P-burgh only gets to host it because of Crosby and that is too bad because P-burgh is really a borderline city for a game like this, and the forecast for NYD shows this.

It is a 100% shame, but this is all for ratings - in the US. Do you think NBC would want to show this game if it was Leafs-Habs...Oilers-Flames...Senators-Canucks? Or any Canadian team vs a US team?

Hell, I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen the Rangers in one of these yet, but it's all about Crosby & Ovechkin.

Maybe those "other teams" should get players worth watching.

Pittsburgh is one of those teams that are in the discussion for being the real American "Title Town." They have won championships in the four major sports with Steelers(NFL), Penguins(NHL), Pirates(MLB) and Pisces(NBA). :rolleyes:

I am a HUGE hockey fan. I will NOT be watching this game. I, for one, do not like Crosby. Nor do I like that the Pens are back playing in the Winter Classic. Share the wealth. Stomp ramming Crosby and Ovechekin down my throat, NHL. I have watched the last three, but will not watch this one. BOO NHL. Stop making it about money and make it worthwhile.

I am a HUGE hockey fan. I will NOT be watching this game. I, for one, do not like Crosby. Nor do I like that the Pens are back playing in the Winter Classic. Share the wealth. Stomp ramming Crosby and Ovechekin down my throat, NHL. I have watched the last three, but will not watch this one. BOO NHL. Stop making it about money and make it worthwhile.

I don't see how this is possible :doh:

It is a 100% shame, but this is all for ratings - in the US. Do you think NBC would want to show this game if it was Leafs-Habs...Oilers-Flames...Senators-Canucks? Or any Canadian team vs a US team?

Hell, I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen the Rangers in one of these yet, but it's all about Crosby & Ovechkin.

They did have the Heritage Classic. It was in November, but...

Right? I hate Crosby but I respect the guys talent. I was reading a great article on him yesterday and was thinking man, if only Thomas Vanek worked as hard has this guy! I'll watch it because the guy is a friggen machine, regardless of how much I despise the sight of his face.

Someone will be injured in the winter classless this year. If we're 'unlucky' it'll be Crosby or ovechkin. This game will be played on slush, in the rain , in the wrong city. The league should think outside the box and play this game in a northern climate where temperatures are guaranteed to behave. Try winterpeg or quebec. If the league expands again this will be where it goes if you believe what we've been hearing lately. These citys are starved for N.H.L. hockey and really wouldn't care what teams are playing. The league is due to have a winter classic fail and maybe this year the weather bites them?

There,fixed it.

I see you doubled down on your jackass pills today...

If you're going out on the tiles ,go good. Really what I meant by those two getting injured is it'll serve the N.H.L. as a league right for pushing this game where and when they are. I realize its hard to predict the weather that far in advance but there are areas where you can look pretty smart without the effort and that tends to be in northern climates.

Someone will be injured in the winter classless this year. If we're lucky it'll be Crosby or ovechkin. This game will be played on slush, in the rain , in the wrong city. The league should think outside the box and play this game in a northern climate where temperatures are guaranteed to behave. Try winterpeg or quebec. If the league expands again this will be where it goes if you believe what we've been hearing lately. These citys are starved for N.H.L. hockey and really wouldn't care what teams are playing. The league is due to have a winter classic fail and maybe this year the weather bites them?

How about wishing that the Winter Classic is such a success that the popularity of the NHL grows to a point where two more teams could actually be supported? Wishing injury to Crosby or OV is as dumb as it gets.

How about wishing that the Winter Classic is such a success that the popularity of the NHL grows to a point where two more teams could actually be supported? Wishing injury to Crosby or OV is as dumb as it gets.

They're calling for 100% chance of rain. What part of that doesn't equate to injury for you on a sheet of ice? I could care less who it is that gets injured. My point has been made. Would you as a sabres fan sacrifice a sabre player to the injury gods so your precious Crosby doesn't have to be injured? Injuries happen in this league. Live with it. It could be anyone. Unfortunately it could also be Crosby.

Right? I hate Crosby but I respect the guys talent. I was reading a great article on him yesterday and was thinking man, if only Thomas Vanek worked as hard has this guy! I'll watch it because the guy is a friggen machine, regardless of how much I despise the sight of his face.

+1, especially on the Vanek point, but not on hating Crosby. He's the best player in the NHL and it's not even close, and he does everything the right way.

Someone will be injured in the winter classless this year. If we're lucky it'll be Crosby or ovechkin. This game will be played on slush, in the rain , in the wrong city. The league should think outside the box and play this game in a northern climate where temperatures are guaranteed to behave. Try winterpeg or quebec. If the league expands again this will be where it goes if you believe what we've been hearing lately. These citys are starved for N.H.L. hockey and really wouldn't care what teams are playing. The league is due to have a winter classic fail and maybe this year the weather bites them?

I see you doubled down on your jackass pills today...

They're calling for 100% chance of rain. What part of that doesn't equate to injury for you on a sheet of ice? I could care less who it is that gets injured. My point has been made. Would you as a sabres fan sacrifice a sabre player to the injury gods so your precious Crosby doesn't have to be injured? Injuries happen in this league. Live with it. It could be anyone. Unfortunately it could also be Crosby.

I'm willing to believe that you don't really want Crosby or Ovechkin to get hurt, but it's time to bail out of this argument and move on.

Also, neither Quebec nor Winnipeg is going to get a team anytime soon. Neither city has the arena or the economic base to support one.

+1, especially on the Vanek point, but not on hating Crosby. He's the best player in the NHL and it's not even close, and he does everything the right way.

I'm willing to believe that you don't really want Crosby or Ovechkin to get hurt, but it's time to bail out of this argument and move on.

Also, neither Quebec nor Winnipeg is going to get a team anytime soon. Neither city has the arena or the economic base to support one.

I wasn't having an argument and no it wasn't my intention to wish injury on Crosby or Ovechkin. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spell it out but I probably should have said the N.H.L. might end up losing a marque player if the weather doesn't co-operate. Thats all. Some people feel the need to insult other posters when their opinions don't jive with what you're trying to say.

Yes it is but anyone who does watch knows this is what Hockey needs, more visibility if only to get back to ESPN instead of VS.

Oh and by the way it certainly is recognized with Crosby playing most of Canada will be watching their favorite son.

+2.

Look I for one living in Shittsburg get sick of it and all the primadonna treatment Crosby gets. If you ever had to watch the local broadcasting here you would know his knob is polished more than doors at Buckingham palace.

One thing I cannot deny is his talent and desire. This is absolutely the guy you would want as a captain of your team. For all the royal treatment he gets here and throughout all Canada, his stays humble, carries himself to the high standards and expectations everyone thrust upon him, works harder than anyone on his team and his team loves him as their captain and that really says a lot to me.

ESPN seems to be covering the game more heavily than in past years...seems to me that they just might be making a bid to carry NHL games next year, since ESPN usually doesn't give extensive coverage to anything other than what's on its channels.

As long as the cooling system is working well there's no reason they can't play on it in the rain in 45 degree weather. Sure they might have to tarp it and then wait till the heavier rain lets up, maybe start it late and play under the lights. I mean, the friggen Rangers played a game in Las Vegas outside in 80 degree weather in 1991. http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?bcid=401141 There's no reason they can't play this game with a little rain.

Look I for one living in Shittsburg get sick of it and all the primadonna treatment Crosby gets. If you ever had to watch the local broadcasting here you would know his knob is polished more than doors at Buckingham palace.

One thing I cannot deny is his talent and desire. This is absolutely the guy you would want as a captain of your team. For all the royal treatment he gets here and throughout all Canada, his stays humble, carries himself to the high standards and expectations everyone thrust upon him, works harder than anyone on his team and his team loves him as their captain and that really says a lot to me.

One thing I thought was pretty interesting about the most recent 24/7 HBO episode was hearing Crosby really give it to the refs with plenty of F-bombs. Not exactly golden boy material there. The show is fantastic, BTW.

One thing I thought was pretty interesting about the most recent 24/7 HBO episode was hearing Crosby really give it to the refs with plenty of F-bombs. Not exactly golden boy material there. The show is fantastic, BTW.

Now I know Pitt was rolling and Wash was in a slump during filming, but how can you not like the makeup of that Pittsburgh team? They come across as a team with a bunch of responsible guys and balance between discipline and going off your gut. Crosby is likable to me, Malkin is cool...

Then Washington looks like the Sabres of '07. Just zero emotion to pick up the bootstraps. Other than Ovechkin and a few minor outbursts from other guys....man, that team looks dead in the water. McPhee looks like he should be sipping mamosas and snacking on brie in his office. The coach can't really pump up a bunch of guys that can't be pumped...I guess similar to Ruff in a way. No wonder they can't get it done in the playoffs.

Cool series to watch.

Per NHL Network, gametime changed to 8pm.

Now I'm REALLY mad that the Sabres postponed tomorrow's game to 7pm (it was originally scheduled for 5pm, but Sabres customer service told me that the reason for the change was that the NHL wanted everyone to "be able to" watch the winter classic).

Not fer nothin', but that sucks. Hate Pittsburgh all you want, but the Winter Classic is awesome and great for hockey. If it isn't played on Saturday it would suck. I love watching it no matter who plays in it, and Wash v Pitt would be a great game. Did I mention it would suck if they didn't play it.

I like the Winter Classic, but the NHL and NBC did little in the way of contingency planning. They need to shoehorn this game in around college and pro football; thus requiring the ridiculous alternative of playing a morning game.

There is no way they can play in the rain. Not only safety, but the puck won't move through water. There will be no Crosby-Ovech show rushes if it rains.

The only thing I don't like about the Winter Classic is the announcers. Same thing every year, "What a great atmosphere", "What do you think of this?" The boring 20-25 minute openning. PLAY THE DA&$ GAME, and stop treating outdoor hockey like a novelty. I played plenty it on the streets and driveways of Tonawanda and more quite a few times and Lincoln and Brighten Areanas in Tonawanda before they were covered.

Game will be played Saturday night. Hope it draws OK against the bowl games.

Now I know Pitt was rolling and Wash was in a slump during filming, but how can you not like the makeup of that Pittsburgh team? They come across as a team with a bunch of responsible guys and balance between discipline and going off your gut. Crosby is likable to me, Malkin is cool...

Then Washington looks like the Sabres of '07. Just zero emotion to pick up the bootstraps. Other than Ovechkin and a few minor outbursts from other guys....man, that team looks dead in the water. McPhee looks like he should be sipping mamosas and snacking on brie in his office. The coach can't really pump up a bunch of guys that can't be pumped...I guess similar to Ruff in a way. No wonder they can't get it done in the playoffs.

Cool series to watch.

The '06 and '07 Sabres were much better in the playoffs than the Caps have been.

EDIT: Also, how cool was it to see Mario play in the staff game for the Pens?

Archived