Winter Classic

Doohickie

Meh. Watch a little for the spectacle of it all, as well as the early fight. Other than that, there's not much worth watching. Two disallowed goals (one each) due to "incidental contact" with the goaltenders.

The first disallowed goal - the Pens one - was the correct call, IMO. When the Penguin made contact he actually caused the Caps goalie to drag the puck into the net (under his left leg, IIRC).

The other one was a little tougher to see - it was incidental contact behind the net but I think Fleury could have reacted better and took himself out of the play the way he overreacted.

The first disallowed goal - the Pens one - was the correct call, IMO. When the Penguin made contact he actually caused the Caps goalie to drag the puck into the net (under his left leg, IIRC).

The other one was a little tougher to see - it was incidental contact behind the net but I think Fleury could have reacted better and took himself out of the play the way he overreacted.

Yeah, Ovechkin holding him wasn't why the Caps scored, it was Fleury diving like an idiot in the crease that caused the goal.

Yeah, Ovechkin holding him wasn't why the Caps scored, it was Fleury diving like an idiot in the crease that caused the goal.

Exactly what I thought when it happened. Plus it looked like (and the announcers said the same thing) that Ovechkin was actually trying to hold Fleury up so he didn't get run over.

DirecTV channel 239 -- something called The 101 HD Channel -- had the first episode of the HBO series today. Damn cool stuff. I was struck how the Pens lockerroom for the game in Buffalo had all these Pittsburgh posters on the wall. I would imagine they are going to replay the other episodes at some point.

Archived