Roy out 4-6 months

darksabre

I don't think it is necessarily a problem. If both parties see it as a good. It's like resurfacing the driveway before the house is sold.

Maybe. But if I'm Terry Pegula and perhaps dislike Darcy and plan on not bringing him back, I don't know why I'd want him touching my assets. Unless Pegula could have veto/OK authority before actually buying the team. Is that even possible?

Maybe. But if I'm Terry Pegula and perhaps dislike Darcy and plan on not bringing him back, I don't know why I'd want him touching my assets. Unless Pegula could have veto/OK authority before actually buying the team. Is that even possible?

Why wouldn't it be? When stores are purchased don't they go through a inventory freeze?

So, you're saying he'll be getting back on the ice just in time for the playoffs.

Seriously, though, this season is over. They are already in the hole big-time and there's no way they're recovering from this. So many nights it seems like little Derek Roy is the only hope the Sabres have of scoring a goal. There is nobody else on this team that can really step up night in and night out. He is their best player and he even has the best contract. I hope I'm wrong, but I bet it gets really grim from here.

Making matters worse is that this is a very bad injury to recover from, especially when you skate for a living. I would be shocked if Roy bounces back to have a solid 2011-12 season.

I would not want to be having Christmas dinner at Lindy Ruff's place this year.

Right now would be the perfect time to blow it up, well after the holidays. Unfortunately, the pending sale might impact this a bit, but otherwise I'd unload any players on expiring contracts and see what ya got with the kids.

I'd even look into moving Miller, Vanek and obviously Pominville and Hecht. Just get all the dead weight out of there.

This truly sux.

I've got an idea that will cheer everyone up, though: Let's make it into a(nother) thread about Ruff and Regier rather than about the injured leading scorer.

You think it might have something to do with the poor condition they have this team in? This team is in such poor shape that they can lose their leading scorer and it doesn't change their playoff chances.

Right now would be the perfect time to blow it up, well after the holidays. Unfortunately, the pending sale might impact this a bit, but otherwise I'd unload any players on expiring contracts and see what ya got with the kids.

I'd even look into moving Miller, Vanek and obviously Pominville and Hecht. Just get all the dead weight out of there.

As much as I like the idea of moving Miller I doubt their is a team willing to take him on for 3 additional years. He is a really good goalie. Just not $6.5 mil good, especially for three more years.

We were probably dead in the water before this horrid news but now that Roy is out for almost a half a year, it really does end our chances I feel like. I also think, when the time is right, Darcy Regier needs to be ordered by Pegula to sell as much as possible. Save the club some money and maybe get some bad contracts off the books (ie Pommer or Hecht). If he can dismantle this team, and rebuild on the run and gain as much assets as possible, i think it could save his job. If he does a poor job trading away players for players who can play in the future for us, then, good bye. I feel like Pegula will hire a hockey person to be the President of the team who will keep an eye out on Darcy. But i do think Darcy can save his job in the next several months by selling.

Also, as Mike Harrington wrote on twitter, Luke Adam needs to play every game with Buffalo from here on out.

We were probably dead in the water before this horrid news but now that Roy is out for almost a half a year, it really does end our chances I feel like. I also think, when the time is right, Darcy Regier needs to be ordered by Pegula to sell as much as possible. Save the club some money and maybe get some bad contracts off the books (ie Pommer or Hecht). If he can dismantle this team, and rebuild on the run and gain as much assets as possible, i think it could save his job. If he does a poor job trading away players for players who can play in the future for us, then, good bye. I feel like Pegula will hire a hockey person to be the President of the team who will keep an eye out on Darcy. But i do think Darcy can save his job in the next several months by selling.

Also, as Mike Harrington wrote on twitter, Luke Adam needs to play every game with Buffalo from here on out.

Not just Luke Adam. Gerbe, Mancari and any other prospect that is close to being NHL ready.

I want to toss this name out for trade bait. Jordan Leopold. With 9 goals in 35 games tied for second in the NHL among blue-liners, his value will never be this high again. He's not a long term solution for this franchise which makes him an asset to be turned over.

As Randy and Mortimer Duke said in "Trading Places" movie: "sell, sell, sell!!"

Time to dump alot of dead weight on this roster. Team is going nowhere fast. Feel bad for Roy. He was one of the better players during this sorry ass season. Sabres have nobody now as a #1 centerman.

As much as I like the idea of moving Miller I doubt their is a team willing to take him on for 3 additional years. He is a really good goalie. Just not $6.5 mil good, especially for three more years.

I have had a feeling for a few years that Ryan Miller while playing for the Buffalo Sabres never really was a Buffalo Sabre if that makes any sense. I never thought he was worth the contract he got when he got it but he did play great up until the olympic break last year..This yr he is an average goaltender with a contract that is a lil steep..I dont think the Sabres would have a hard time moving him..Add his contract with Pominville Vanek Connoly Hecht and Gaustad and you would have a hard time arguing who spends other peoples money more foolishly Nancy Pelosi or Darcy Regier.

I love Roy, but didn't we come back from being down 3 last night without him, looking pretty good at times doing it? Everyone was skating really well, and I was just about to type that maybe the problem was Roy. Then Tyler got hacked and McCreary was too busy thumbing his a$$hole instead of blowing his whistle, and it didn't matter anymore.

It's bad but it already was bad. Everyone is saying sell, but who and to whom? Nobody will take these contracts.

Do we have room for Kennedy now?

You think it might have something to do with the poor condition they have this team in? This team is in such poor shape that they can lose their leading scorer and it doesn't change their playoff chances.

I think it might have to do with a couple of people making EVERY THREAD into a LR/DR/LQ/TG discussion. This thread is about Derek Roy. Would it be so bad to keep it on that topic?

Here's a contrary prediction:

- Against all expectations, the Sabres tread water at .500 in January, as Myers (who has been steadily improving for the past month and has been skating with a ton of confidence lately) leads the way, Miller finds the zone and Gaustad, McCormick and Kaleta emerge as leaders at forward.

- Pegula takes over on February 1 and announces 1-year extensions for both DR and LR.

- Energized, the Sabres go 9-2-1 in February as TC, smelling another unjustified FA payday, starts pouring it on, Pommer continues another improved 2nd half and and Stafford keeps the pedal to the metal in his contract year.

- At the deadline, DR, authorized to swing for the fences by TP, brings in Brad Richards for Butler, Enroth and a #1, and unloads TC to a WC team bedazzled by his recent play in exchange for a prospect and a #2.

- After his 2nd practice, Richards threatens Vanek with adult circumcision if Vanek ever again loafs disinterestedly through a shift or fails to shoot in favor of an unnecessary cute pass on a 2-on-1.

- Vanek responds with 15 goals in the Sabres' last 21 games. The Sabres go 15-4-2 and motor into the #5 slot in the EC.

- On the last day of the regular season, DR signs Richards to a 6-year extension.,

- A great playoff run ensues.

- At 12:01 AM on July 1, DR signs Zach Parise to a 6-year, $6MM per year offer sheet (for which the compensation is a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd). The Devils' owner, having fired Lamoriello in May, is last seen hiding under his bed and weeping. The week lapses and Parise becomes a Sabre, slotted on the top line with Richards and Vanek, leaving Roy-Pommer-Ennis as the 2nd line going into 2011-12 -- until Kassian forces his way into the top 6.

Merry Xmas to all, and to all a good night.

Now that D Roy is gone for the year, I think it's time to really consider tanking the rest of this season. No point in just missing the dance and ruining the playoff spot.

Call up some of the kids, give them some ice and experience and hope to finish in the bottom 5 or lower if possible. Sucks but it's the only way to get better, faster.

They won't make the playoffs. Too many teams ahead of them. Too many, far too many, 3 point games in the Eastern Conf. and it's usually when we aren't playing.

I'd waive Lalime. Great guy but it's over. Get the Enrotian One up and give him some meaningful games. Let Miller have some down time and consider, consider trading him for some younger, valuable assets. Who knows, maybe Enroth is better than Miller? Waive TC or at the very least move him at the deadline for a pick.

Not popular decisions with some of you but changes, big changes need to be made. Oh and Merry Christmas!

I can think of one team that would probably love to take Miller ( cap space allowing this of course ) yeah...Detroit.

There will be a team desperate enough to do it. Unload him, Connolly, Rivet, Stafford, Grier, Neidermeyer, and if possible Hecht and Pominville.

Just get a slew of picks and prospects, sign a couple UFA and possibly poach a RFA and ######in run with it. None o the Sabres are guys you build franchises around besides Myers.

I think it might have to do with a couple of people making EVERY THREAD into a LR/DR/LQ/TG discussion. This thread is about Derek Roy. Would it be so bad to keep it on that topic?

You can't limit where a discussion goes. If "every thread" veers towards management that tells you that is what people want to talk about. Without it this thread doesn't have three pages. Until significant changes are made that is how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. This team is bad. This team is going to miss the playoffs for a third time out of four and I think it's six out of nine years. It's going to be the dominate topic.

Great string, maybe it is time to move the team to Nova Scotia where they will be appreciated Miller's game this year is as much the result of the diminished defense in front of him as it is injury, bad luck, and the normal hot and cold periods that goaltenders go through. You guys really need to relax.

Archived