Roy out 4-6 months

darksabre

Maybe. He signed a pretty sweet deal with Buffalo though.

There is probably no way Darcy is thinking of trading Miller however.

Darcy might not be, is Pegula? Ultimately it would be his call. Let's say, hypothetically, Pegula comes in and wants to start over. He dishes off Pommer, Stafford, Connolly, Gerbe, even finds a way to move Hecht. We get a slew of picks and young prospects. He keeps Ryan Miller, and the quest begins. You don't expect success in year one, especially if a lot of your players are young players or rookies. Winning the cup in year 2 would also be a stretch. So realistically you look at our next "window of opportunity" to win the cup as being 3-4 years away. By the time we get a contender built Miller will be 35 and on the decline, like Brodeur has been lately, and if we choose to move him then it will be extremely hard to do. Why not pull the trigger now, get a MUCH higher return than we would for just our group of bum forwards, and let Enroth develop or sign another goalie in the 25-27 year old range so that when our rebuilt team is entering it's window of opportunity, our goalie will be entering his prime.

Not to be a stickler -- OK, to be a stickler -- it's not accurate to say Roy is out for the season. Regular season, yes.

Sorry, but the season is the season. It's 82 games long. When the 82-game season is over, the post-season starts. So if Roy is out until the 82nd game of the season, then he's out for the season and the description is accurate.

Truth be told, the way this team is playing right now, they will be cleaning out their lockers after the 82nd game. Which means that for all intents and purposes, Roy is out for "the season" regardless of whether you think that includes the playoffs.

Welcome to SabreSpace, where the topic shifts after the 5th post of every thread.

In two pages, this will become a what you get for Christmas thread...

My parents got me a book on how to be better at hockey. They've never seen me play. I think they're trying to tell me something.

You can't limit where a discussion goes. If "every thread" veers towards management that tells you that is what people want to talk about. Without it this thread doesn't have three pages. Until significant changes are made that is how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. This team is bad. This team is going to miss the playoffs for a third time out of four and I think it's six out of nine years. It's going to be the dominate topic.

I can't limit where a discussion goes, but I can ask the same few people who redirect nearly every thread to stop doing so. Up to them, I suppose, as to whether they do.

A thread about Derek Roy's injury should remain about that.

There are plenty of opportunities to bitch about Ruff, Regier, Quinn, and/or Golisano. It doesn't have to be in every thread, and it doesn't belong in every thread.

Darcy might not be, is Pegula? Ultimately it would be his call. Let's say, hypothetically, Pegula comes in and wants to start over. He dishes off Pommer, Stafford, Connolly, Gerbe, even finds a way to move Hecht. We get a slew of picks and young prospects. He keeps Ryan Miller, and the quest begins. You don't expect success in year one, especially if a lot of your players are young players or rookies. Winning the cup in year 2 would also be a stretch. So realistically you look at our next "window of opportunity" to win the cup as being 3-4 years away. By the time we get a contender built Miller will be 35 and on the decline, like Brodeur has been lately, and if we choose to move him then it will be extremely hard to do. Why not pull the trigger now, get a MUCH higher return than we would for just our group of bum forwards, and let Enroth develop or sign another goalie in the 25-27 year old range so that when our rebuilt team is entering it's window of opportunity, our goalie will be entering his prime.

The logic is pretty sound, not to mention the fact that when contending talent surrounded him, he still couldn't take the Sabres even as far as the final. (The three goals against in the third period in Game 7 in Carolina are still stuck in my craw.)

I would get a little nervous about your premise that Pegula would be making this call. I want Terry to come in, set the tone, set the direction, fire Darcy, give Darcy's replacement (or a team president) full authority to carry out the mission and provide every last goddamn resource to do it.

Sorry, but the season is the season. It's 82 games long. When the 82-game season is over, the post-season starts. So if Roy is out until the 82nd game of the season, then he's out for the season and the description is accurate.

Truth be told, the way this team is playing right now, they will be cleaning out their lockers after the 82nd game. Which means that for all intents and purposes, Roy is out for "the season" regardless of whether you think that includes the playoffs.

The regular season and the postseason comprise the season, no? The Sabres had a great season in 05-06 -- that statement includes the playoffs, I would think.

The regular season and the postseason comprise the season, no? The Sabres had a great season in 05-06 -- that statement includes the playoffs, I would think.

Hopefully the Sabres don't fall to pieces without Roy as fast as this board has.

Welcome to SabreSpace, where the topic shifts after the 5th post of every thread.

In two pages, this will become a what you get for Christmas thread...

Among other things, I got a pretty nice overcoat, some salt/pepper grinders and Adam Carrolla's book, which is pretty funny in parts.

If someone says Roys hurt and out for the season,the sabres are toast anyways lets unload players my immediate thought becomes whose a capable G.M. to carry out those duties? I've veered off of the original thread somewhat but to me its directly related to the thread because of the direction the post before me took. Its like 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon and who really cares as long as someone in the playground can simply bring it all back with one post. Threads evolve and change and come back and thats really the beauty of it.

Hopefully the Sabres don't fall to pieces without Roy as fast as this board has.

Swamp I gots mad love and respect but you have to at least consider the possibility that now (once ownership takes over might be more timely) would be a great time for the Sabres to evaluate their franchise. Recognize who the core is and build around them. Imagine a team that looks like this: (absolute fantasy on my part but one can dream)

Vanek-Roy-Kassian

Ennis-Richards(UFA)-Moulson(UFA)

Foligno-Adam-Cole(UFA)

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers-McCabe(UFA)

Leopold-Morrisson

Sekera-Weber

extras: Butler/Gerbe

I don't think this is too far out of the realm of possibility. Move Pominville, Hecht at the deadline this year, the rest are UFA & RFA.

Swamp I gots mad love and respect but you have to at least consider the possibility that now (once ownership takes over might be more timely) would be a great time for the Sabres to evaluate their franchise. Recognize who the core is and build around them. Imagine a team that looks like this: (absolute fantasy on my part but one can dream)

Vanek-Roy-Kassian

Foligno-Adam-Cole(UFA)

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers-McCabe(UFA)

Leopold-Morrisson

Sekera-Weber

I don't think this is too far out of the realm of possibility. Move Pominville, Hecht at the deadline this year, the rest are UFA & RFA.

I am not a Cole fan would prefer a different choice otherwise looks good. Inkman for GM however what are you going to do about backup goalie?

Vanek-Roy-Kassian

Foligno-Adam-Cole(UFA)

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers-McCabe(UFA)

Leopold-Morrisson

Sekera-Weber

Another one who doesn't pencil in Montador. I don't get that.

Who's going to take on Pominville's contract for another three seasons or Hecht's for even one more?

Another one who doesn't pencil in Montador. I don't get that.

Who's going to take on Pominville's contract for another three seasons or Hecht's for even one more?

The rangers unloaded Gomez who's contract is the equivalent of both Sabres players. I like Monty but he's probably gong to get a huge pay raise and he won't fit under the cap with the UFA I want signed.

Vanek-Roy-Kassian

Foligno-Adam-Cole(UFA)

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers-McCabe(UFA)

Leopold-Morrisson

Sekera-Weber

Only change I would make is to the first line. Vanek and Roy are not a good match on the same line.

Here's a contrary prediction:

- Against all expectations, the Sabres tread water at .500 in January, as Myers (who has been steadily improving for the past month and has been skating with a ton of confidence lately) leads the way, Miller finds the zone and Gaustad, McCormick and Kaleta emerge as leaders at forward.

- Pegula takes over on February 1 and announces 1-year extensions for both DR and LR.

- Energized, the Sabres go 9-2-1 in February as TC, smelling another unjustified FA payday, starts pouring it on, Pommer continues another improved 2nd half and and Stafford keeps the pedal to the metal in his contract year.

- At the deadline, DR, authorized to swing for the fences by TP, brings in Brad Richards for Butler, Enroth and a #1, and unloads TC to a WC team bedazzled by his recent play in exchange for a prospect and a #2.

- After his 2nd practice, Richards threatens Vanek with adult circumcision if Vanek ever again loafs disinterestedly through a shift or fails to shoot in favor of an unnecessary cute pass on a 2-on-1.

- Vanek responds with 15 goals in the Sabres' last 21 games. The Sabres go 15-4-2 and motor into the #5 slot in the EC.

- On the last day of the regular season, DR signs Richards to a 6-year extension.,

- A great playoff run ensues.

- At 12:01 AM on July 1, DR signs Zach Parise to a 6-year, $6MM per year offer sheet (for which the compensation is a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd). The Devils' owner, having fired Lamoriello in May, is last seen hiding under his bed and weeping. The week lapses and Parise becomes a Sabre, slotted on the top line with Richards and Vanek, leaving Roy-Pommer-Ennis as the 2nd line going into 2011-12 -- until Kassian forces his way into the top 6.

Merry Xmas to all, and to all a good night.

Unlikely is too soft a term but, WOW! it made me feel good. I pictured that whole scenario in technicolor and almost made an appointment with my tattooist for the one I've been waiting my whole life for. Those are honest props, very creative, we can only hope.

Archived