What are the top 5 items in your to-do list if you were the new owner?

SDS

Actually Biron was to be Hasek's replacement. You are correct, they are using the same formula they used when Hasek was here. How many Cups did they win? I'll say it again, Miller is nowhere near the level of goalie Hasek was. There is only one goalie playing today that is and he plays in New Jersey. Hasek was the best player in the world when he played for the Sabres. Miller is not that goalie and I don;t see any posters here that say he is. The failure is with the front office for trying to pretend Miller is.

What would your top 5 items look like on your action list? Game day experience? Rebuild the scouting staff? Replace the shower curtain Kevin Sylvester stands in front on away games?

Good topic.

Not my top priority, but I would have this piece of advice for Terry. Get out of the luxury suite and sit in the crowd like the Knoxes and family did. I'd also order my GM to do the same -- a la Punch Imlach. Would be such a nice touch.

What would your top 5 items look like on your action list? Game day experience? Rebuild the scouting staff? Replace the shower curtain Kevin Sylvester stands in front on away games?

I would seriously look at the Game day experience. The team is marketed well, but the last thing you feel coming to HSBC is being part of something.

More pipe organ - Less Jumbo Tron

Less Loud Music - More Fan call-outs - I'm tired of chants getting buried by Cotton-Eyed-Effin-Joe. The Sabres have one of the coolest classically composed tunes in the "Sabres Dance" - a tune that has been covered by nearly 100 modern artists and versions, you think they could exploit this.

Why do I get that crappy Scorpions Rock Me Like a Hurricane Song. Hmmmmmmm.

More highlights - Less Bloopers.

Seriously, the fans have been sedated into a living room chair experience. Visit St. Louis, Montreal, and now even Boston, and they seem to be getting it right.

While I've heard the Warpath chant at road-games, I'd be surprised if most of the fans at HSBC know it now.

I think they have the idea that fans want more technology. I don't believe it. What they want is more fun.

Seriously, whoever signed off on the decision to play Rock Me Like a Hurricane at Sabres games after losing to Carolina in 06 the way we did needs to be fired.

Good ones X. Here's one in the same vein. Don't show the game on the Jumbotron. Make people watch the real thing for God's sake. And it would eliminate the yahoos who jump up and down when the camera swings to their corner.

I HATE those freaking people. They care more about being spotted on TV than they do about watching the game.

1) Larry/Darcy/Lindy.....Bye-Bye. Bring in good hockey minds that have had success. Craig Patrick has been mentioned. Don Luce would like nothing more than to come back and make the old guard shove it. Bill Barber is also in Philly and was a great coach in his short tenure and has developed players from bottom up. Look to reward former Sabres if they are deserving of a position. Coaches like Boughner and Foligno are out there and may be ready to make a jump, or even make a horizontal move if something big in their former city is going down.

2) Ditch the gold/silver/value system. Go to a flat rate per level like the Aud, and let ticket holders based on seniority pick where they sit first for the season. Maybe have a "Rockpile" section where 25 and under can get in for $15 or something like that. The remaining seats you put up for sale at 20% markup to seasons. And if the team doesn't make the playoffs, you get 10% cash back or 20% off seasons next year. Eat some revenue losses early, but get a level of true loyalty and blue collar fans back.

3) Sell...sell...sell...at the deadline. Almost gut this thing of dead wood, and be ready to rebuild through free agency until your new draft class has a chance to take hold. Many of the current roster are poisoned beyond repair, even if Ruff is gone. It's about starting a new culture of trust, effort, and responsibility.

4) Donate like mad to the community. Prove that status quo doesn't work for any aspect of your environment, but try and keep the money out of the hands of unions, politicians, and other scumballs that have controlled the city for half a decade or more. When you have $3 billion, you can outbid the state.

5) Pay whatever it takes to get these guys to move to Buffalo, and make them a fixture at the games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RExxapuMSKk

I would seriously look at the Game day experience. The team is marketed well, but the last thing you feel coming to HSBC is being part of something.

Less Loud Music - More Fan call-outs - I'm tired of chants getting buried by Cotton-Eyed-Effin-Joe. The Sabres have one of the coolest classically composed tunes in the "Sabres Dance" - a tune that has been covered by nearly 100 modern artists and versions, you think they could exploit this.

Seriously, the fans have been sedated into a living room chair experience. Visit St. Louis, Montreal, and now even Boston, and they seem to be getting it right.

While I've heard the Warpath chant at road-games, I'd be surprised if most of the fans at HSBC know it now.

I think they have the idea that fans want more technology. I don't believe it. What they want is more fun.

This plays into the chimps' comments about the team catering to Chet and Muffy. And I agree completely. The jumbotron stuff should be about the game, not the applause-o-meter or kiss cam. Mgt chose to make an environment that would attract upper middle class families with kids. And we sure wouldn't want kids that weren't distracted regularly. I'd like to see the jumbotron be used exclusively for game related stuff and out of town updates. And the pipe organ should be the predominant music. All of the background stuff should promote fan involvement in the game being played. It shouldn't be a distraction.

Excellent points. I live out of town, but I try to get to one game a year. Since it's a rare occasion, I'm always pumped up for it. Then I get to HSBC and I'm shocked at how subdued the crowd is! The music is terrible - as a long time DJ it makes me sick to hear them pandering to the lowest common denominator. TIme for Hurricane 2000 to be banished forever from the Sabres lexicon. It's a very sterile experience all around and there needs to be an effort to bring it back to the roots.

Good ones X. Here's one in the same vein. Don't show the game on the Jumbotron. Make people watch the real thing for God's sake. And it would eliminate the yahoos who jump up and down when the camera swings to their corner.

In some of the seats the only place to see the game is the jumbotron.

I'd agree the bloopers are stupid.

Have they ever fixed that bronze of the goalie over the doorway into HSBC that has the left pad on the right leg and the right pad on the left leg? If not, that would be my #1 priority. ;)

Then I'd fire Quinn, Regier, and Ruff. OK that's four.

More hot dog specials.

There.

1) Larry/Darcy/Lindy.....Bye-Bye. Bring in good hockey minds that have had success. Craig Patrick has been mentioned. Don Luce would like nothing more than to come back and make the old guard shove it. Bill Barber is also in Philly and was a great coach in his short tenure and has developed players from bottom up. Look to reward former Sabres if they are deserving of a position. Coaches like Boughner and Foligno are out there and may be ready to make a jump, or even make a horizontal move if something big in their former city is going down.

2) Ditch the gold/silver/value system. Go to a flat rate per level like the Aud, and let ticket holders based on seniority pick where they sit first for the season. Maybe have a "Rockpile" section where 25 and under can get in for $15 or something like that. The remaining seats you put up for sale at 20% markup to seasons. And if the team doesn't make the playoffs, you get 10% cash back or 20% off seasons next year. Eat some revenue losses early, but get a level of true loyalty and blue collar fans back.

3) Sell...sell...sell...at the deadline. Almost gut this thing of dead wood, and be ready to rebuild through free agency until your new draft class has a chance to take hold. Many of the current roster are poisoned beyond repair, even if Ruff is gone. It's about starting a new culture of trust, effort, and responsibility.

4) Donate like mad to the community. Prove that status quo doesn't work for any aspect of your environment, but try and keep the money out of the hands of unions, politicians, and other scumballs that have controlled the city for half a decade or more. When you have $3 billion, you can outbid the state.

5) Pay whatever it takes to get these guys to move to Buffalo, and make them a fixture at the games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RExxapuMSKk

Good suggestions... I would like to single out #5. Whereas the video was entertaining and I could see it working, it couldn't be a long-term solution. Those kids will have their 15 minutes of fame now, but there will be that awkward tendency to root against child stars once they reach adolescence. (McCauley Caulkin, Hanson, every boy-band from the 90's, the Disney Mousketeers, ...)

And when they play loud commercials, that makes it feel like you are just watching TV. I mean, can't we get a break from annoying commercials for a few hours at the game?

1. Said before, but get rid of tiered pricing based on perceived value of viisting team's game.

2. Reduce the back-to-back games from insane to normal.

3. Trade Vanek while he still has some value. Bring in a true number 1 center. Rip up Ryan's contract and sign him for life.

4. Bring back Rochester.

5. Push like mad to get another appearance in outdoor game against Vancouver.

#1 -- I'd like to see DR and LR get a shot under Pegula, but I can't argue with a new broom sweeping clean either. I will say that although I like the idea of bringing former Sabres into management, the Sabres' drafting record under Luce was pretty lousy.

#2 -- I don't see any reason to ditch tiered pricing. It makes sense, it creates cheaper options for people to attend games and many other sports franchises are adopting this.

#3 -- There are a few players I'd be fine with them unloading at the deadline, primarily TC and Stafford (and of course Hecht and Pommer if they can get someone to take those contracts), but I don't think they should blow the team up just for the sake of blowing it up. They need to bring in a couple of impact forwards and unload a couple of deadwood players, but there is plenty of quality on the roster.

Separately, I object to the deletion of Meathead's post.

OK, but can we work in Vanessa for some games or maybe the playoffs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxtKeYBQdr0

She's smoking -- literally.

The Buffalo News has learned that a source familiar with the situation suspects that the dance moves depicted in this video are possibly ones Tim Connolly was practicing when he apparently was injured backstage at Ryan Miller's Catcall For Charity.

I'd love to hear Terry Pegula come out on day one and tell the fans not to worry about his money. To focus their energy on the team instead. I want him to make the focus of this franchise to win a Stanley Cup and not to make money. A pipe dream? Perhaps.

I've been told many times it's the owner's perogie to make money and not bankroll huge losses. Remember -- it's also his right to bankroll huge losses and not care a damn about it.

How liberating would it be if every penny wasn't pinched? Game one, the atmosphere in the arena could change to one that encourages the loudest building in the NHL -- contributing to the ultimate goal of winning a championship -- instead of one that to a large degree is all about maximizing revenue.

Mike Schopp has been talking about this, and it kind of blows your mind. What if the owner doesn't care about money?

1. No more Quinn; evaluate the front office, and if DR was responsible for veteran personnel decisions over the last 6 years, then no more DR, either. Let hockey people make hockey decisions. (For this reason, no more hockey decisions will appear on my list.)

2. Put real money into scouting; use live scouting whenever practicable.

3. Remove all non-traditional logo material from HSBC (no slugs on the scoreboard; division/conference banners conform to the old style).

4. Tinker with the variable pricing scheme. It's a great idea, but it's resulting in a few empty seats on premium nights, especially up in the corners.

5. Fix the ice. HSBC should have a much better surface than it does.

A sixth, in case people think (3) is frivolous: build better corporate relationships with nationally- or internationally-recognized sponsors. (No more "official artisan cheese." How is "Buffalo Wing Cheddar" an artisanal product anyway?) Tell Barnes to stop polishing his head if he wants to remain a sponsor.

Archived