What are the top 5 items in your to-do list if you were the new owner?

SDS

1. No more Quinn; evaluate the front office, and if DR was responsible for veteran personnel decisions over the last 6 years, then no more DR, either. Let hockey people make hockey decisions. (For this reason, no more hockey decisions will appear on my list.)

2. Put real money into scouting; use live scouting whenever practicable.

3. Remove all non-traditional logo material from HSBC (no slugs on the scoreboard; division/conference banners conform to the old style).

4. Tinker with the variable pricing scheme. It's a great idea, but it's resulting in a few empty seats on premium nights, especially up in the corners.

5. Fix the ice. HSBC should have a much better surface than it does.

A sixth, in case people think (3) is frivolous: build better corporate relationships with nationally- or internationally-recognized sponsors. (No more "official artisan cheese." How is "Buffalo Wing Cheddar" an artisanal product anyway?) Tell Barnes to stop polishing his head if he wants to remain a sponsor.

I would announce the slug is dead, and get rid of the slug on the scoreboard, but, i would keep the banners. It's part of our history. Can't change the history. It is what it is.

Things i would change may differ from many here-

1. Atmosphere. Do crazy giveaways to bring in the younger crowd who will make the arena loud. Few times a season. Such as, dollar dog nights/$2 beer nights. If teams such as Philly or Boston can do it to spice things up, then we can too. It's not only a Nashville/St Louis market tactic. I know Philly has done that already twice this season. Chances are, some of those guys will return another time when the deal is not there and some will go and may get hooked on the game.

2. Keep Lindy and Darcy. However, hire a President that will make sure everything is being run good. Not sure who would qualify, but maybe lure Scotty Bowman from Chicago?

3. From what i understand, MSG can not be broadcast in Canada. I would try to figure out what i can do to get MSG games' rights onto some channel in Southern Ontario so the Sabres there can see the Sabres play more often then just whenever they are on TSN or CBC. I obviously don't live in Canada, but i spoke to a guy this year at a game and said they never get games, and his son is a Leafs fan, and it's impossible to make the kid a Sabres fan because he can't see the games, while Leafs are on. Theres no way the territorial rights are able to go from Toronto all the way to the border. The guy said, in the 1970s and 1980s, the Sabres were always on tv in that area.

4. Not sure if this would help anything, but, bring back more old time faces to the arena as guests. I watch center ice often, and mostly in hockey markets, you see old time players always make appearances and the crowd goes wild. They do a small pre-game then show the dude in the press box. I think it'd be cool if we brought back players and kept in touch.

Most of these have already been mentioned, but these are the 5 (or so) things I would have on my priority list:

1. Study exactly how each of the other 29 squads have been assembled. Steal the best ideas from the others and scrap what doesn't work. Look at how the top teams in other sports are assembled and run as well.

2. Have the deepest, most talented scouting staff in the league.

3. Have a well developed plan as to what I want to accomplish (be it 1 time Stanley Cup winner, multiple x SC winner, playoff contender, $ maker, family friendly atmosphere, whatever it happens to be); convey those goals to the hockey people and then let them figure out how to reach those goals; and convey to the fans (in broad terms) what those goals are and do not oversell the goals. If the plan is to basically emulate the Wings, then by all means convey that, but if the plan is to do more of an emulation of the Bruins or Phlyers convey that as well. A new owner WILL have a honeymoon w/ the fans; DO NOT overstate / oversell what you're going to do during that honeymoon.

3a. Make sure that plan included contingency as to how to prepare for / brace for / get through down times. Every team that contends legitimately for the SC (w/ the possible exception of the Wings (who never seem to take a REAL step back) or the Snarks (who I don't truly consider to be legit contenders - not as long as Thornton & Heatley are 'leaders' on that squad)) takes a season or two where they are rebuilding. Make certain that the hockey people understand how these down times are going to be used to move forward in the future and make sure there is a plan in place to make certain the fans know that there is a plan to move back into a forward direction.

4. Study the game day experience provided in "hockey" markets (including back in the good old days of the Aud) and gear the game day experience to hockey fans. (Whether they be old or young.) Buffalo is one of 5 truly hockey knowledgeable markets in the US, lets remember that and make it more of a Canadian night at the rink than a Carolina night at the rink.

5. Bring back the 'open practice'. Yes, I know the practices are open to the public, but I mean lets a have family friendly event that tixs are sold very cheaply so that kids can get in and see their heroes. When I was young, the 'open practice' was looked forward to by all the kids in the neighborhood. The players really seemed to be having fun w/ that one as well.

Most of these have already been mentioned, but these are the 5 (or so) things I would have on my priority list:

1. Study exactly how each of the other 29 squads have been assembled. Steal the best ideas from the others and scrap what doesn't work. Look at how the top teams in other sports are assembled and run as well.

3. Have a well developed plan as to what I want to accomplish (be it 1 time Stanley Cup winner, multiple x SC winner, playoff contender, $ maker, family friendly atmosphere, whatever it happens to be); convey those goals to the hockey people and then let them figure out how to reach those goals; and convey to the fans (in broad terms) what those goals are and do not oversell the goals. If the plan is to basically emulate the Wings, then by all means convey that, but if the plan is to do more of an emulation of the Bruins or Phlyers convey that as well. A new owner WILL have a honeymoon w/ the fans; DO NOT overstate / oversell what you're going to do during that honeymoon.

3a. Make sure that plan included contingency as to how to prepare for / brace for / get through down times. Every team that contends legitimately for the SC (w/ the possible exception of the Wings (who never seem to take a REAL step back) or the Snarks (who I don't truly consider to be legit contenders - not as long as Thornton & Heatley are 'leaders' on that squad)) takes a season or two where they are rebuilding. Make certain that the hockey people understand how these down times are going to be used to move forward in the future and make sure there is a plan in place to make certain the fans know that there is a plan to move back into a forward direction.

4. Study the game day experience provided in "hockey" markets (including back in the good old days of the Aud) and gear the game day experience to hockey fans. (Whether they be old or young.) Buffalo is one of 5 truly hockey knowledgeable markets in the US, lets remember that and make it more of a Canadian night at the rink than a Carolina night at the rink.

5. Bring back the 'open practice'. Yes, I know the practices are open to the public, but I mean lets a have family friendly event that tixs are sold very cheaply so that kids can get in and see their heroes. When I was young, the 'open practice' was looked forward to by all the kids in the neighborhood. The players really seemed to be having fun w/ that one as well.

Excellent, as always.

I like your ideas. But, mostly out of curiosity, which among the following are you leaving out: NY/NJ, Boston, Phila., Minnesota, Detroit, Pittsburgh? I think all qualify as knowledgeable hockey markets. Maybe not Pitt (still leaves 6 including Buffalo).

I like your ideas. But, mostly out of curiosity, which among the following are you leaving out: NY/NJ, Boston, Phila., Minnesota, Detroit, Pittsburgh? I think all qualify as knowledgeable hockey markets. Maybe not Pitt (still leaves 6 including Buffalo).

I didn't include Pitts because it is far and away a football market with a hockey team.

I left greater NYC off the list because while there are serious hockey fans in NYC they are greatly outnumbered by non-fans. I could see a legitimate argument to be made to keep them on the list but several items made me keep them off the list (relative lack of youth programs, inability of the Evils to sell out even though they typically have a legit contender, lack of college hockey programs, difficulty finding a hockey game on the tube at a bar (granted, I haven't been back there in ~10 years, maybe that's gotten better), for starters). If you'd include the area on your list, I'm fine w/ it; but it doesn't make my list.

Had Bill Wirtz not done such a great job of killing enthusiasm for the Hawks, I'd have included Chicago on the list as well. Maybe Rocky Wirtz will bring it back. He's off to a good start, but I wouldn't put Chi town on my list, yet.

I'd love to hear Terry Pegula come out on day one and tell the fans not to worry about his money. To focus their energy on the team instead. I want him to make the focus of this franchise to win a Stanley Cup and not to make money. A pipe dream? Perhaps.

I've been told many times it's the owner's perogie to make money and not bankroll huge losses. Remember -- it's also his right to bankroll huge losses and not care a damn about it.

How liberating would it be if every penny wasn't pinched? Game one, the atmosphere in the arena could change to one that encourages the loudest building in the NHL -- contributing to the ultimate goal of winning a championship -- instead of one that to a large degree is all about maximizing revenue.

Mike Schopp has been talking about this, and it kind of blows your mind. What if the owner doesn't care about money?

That would be a nice change. But remember, are not the New York Rangers exactly like that, or at least so profitable they don't have to low ball on payroll, and they suck. And the Devils spent some bucks this offseason and look at the trouble they are in.

Had Bill Wirtz not done such a great job of killing enthusiasm for the Hawks, I'd have included Chicago on the list as well. Maybe Rocky Wirtz will bring it back. He's off to a good start, but I wouldn't put Chi town on my list, yet.

They nearly killed hockey in Chicago. I remember listening to games on the radio as a kid at the old Chicago Stadium. It always sounded like Bedlam in was so loud. It would give you chills.

They nearly killed hockey in Chicago. I remember listening to games on the radio as a kid at the old Chicago Stadium. It always sounded like Bedlam in was so loud. It would give you chills.

What a shame that was too. It's good to see that Rocky gets it.

PS - I really liked your ideas on improving the game day experience.

I didn't include Pitts because it is far and away a football market with a hockey team.

I left greater NYC off the list because while there are serious hockey fans in NYC they are greatly outnumbered by non-fans. I could see a legitimate argument to be made to keep them on the list but several items made me keep them off the list (relative lack of youth programs, inability of the Evils to sell out even though they typically have a legit contender, lack of college hockey programs, difficulty finding a hockey game on the tube at a bar (granted, I haven't been back there in ~10 years, maybe that's gotten better), for starters). If you'd include the area on your list, I'm fine w/ it; but it doesn't make my list.

No problem with your methodology, just was curious. St. L makes it before Chi in my book, but I wouldn't consider either to be that serious about hockey. Glad to see that Minny was in your analysis.

Excellent. My dad would take my brother and I to the open practice every year. We really looked forward to that.

I see the grandkids got you a webcam for Xmas.

haha u little devil.

This guy has a ton of strange videos on YouTube and millions of views. But it turns out he is a convicted child molester who was on probation, a condition of which was to not own a computer (or have access to the Internet, don't remember which). Now he's back in prison for violating probation.

Excellent. My dad would take my brother and I to the open practice every year. We really looked forward to that.

This was THE highlight of Christmas break for 3-4 years of childhood! I thought it was enhanced in part because you couldn't get a ticket to games in the mid 70's, maybe not.

OK, but can we work in Vanessa for some games or maybe the playoffs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxtKeYBQdr0

I can't get past the, I guess you'd call it bow syncing. She might have played that during the recording but she certainly wasn't playing it during that video. How about if they do get her for the playoffs, she doesn't have to hold that silly violin and she can just dance on a pole to that tune?

This was THE highlight of Christmas break for 3-4 years of childhood! I thought it was enhanced in part because you couldn't get a ticket to games in the mid 70's, maybe not.

When we did get tickets, they were always in the upper blues with those crappy, flickering TV's that allowed you to see the scoreboard.

Archived