(OT) Leslie Nielsen dead

PASabreFan

See, that's the one that's too obvious. But anyway...

-A hospital? What is it?

-A big building with patients. But that's not important right now.

It's the same old story. Boy finds girl, boy loses girl, girl finds boy, boy forgets girl, boy remembers girl, girl dies in a tragic blimp accident over the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day.

I used to do audio for the Dick Cavett show and we did an interview with Leslie Nielson in the sitting area of a hotel room. I put their mics on them then sat in a chair about 8 feet away, headphones on, mixer in my lap. While Dick was doing his intro, there was this farting sound that kept happening. All the while Dick is plugging along with his monologue, trying not to laugh, Leslie is squeezing this little thing called "The Handy Gas", and looking right at me making these who farted faces. By the end of the intro, there are tears streaming down my face, I can't breath and my stomach is killing from laughing.

It was almost twenty years ago and to this day, it's hard for me to stop laughing whenever I think about it.

I used to do audio for the Dick Cavett show and we did an interview with Leslie Nielson in the sitting area of a hotel room. I put their mics on them then sat in a chair about 8 feet away, headphones on, mixer in my lap. While Dick was doing his intro, there was this farting sound that kept happening. All the while Dick is plugging along with his monologue, trying not to laugh, Leslie is squeezing this little thing called "The Handy Gas", and looking right at me making these who farted faces. By the end of the intro, there are tears streaming down my face, I can't breath and my stomach is killing from laughing.

It was almost twenty years ago and to this day, it's hard for me to stop laughing whenever I think about it.

Great story! Must have been a running gag of his...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5egaR4WvLPY

Great story! Must have been a running gag of his...

It was. IIRC, he said the only time he had it ready and didn't do it was when he met the Queen of England.

In reading some of his obits, this line of his stood out (about the show Police Squad),"It didn't belong on TV," Nielsen later said. "It had the kind of humor you had to pay attention to." Seeing as how he was probably talking to some morning talking head who didn't get it, that is just some smart, funny ######.

EDIT: just watched your clip again, apparently that was a running gag as well.

Well ... We shot a lot of people together. It's been great. But today I retire, so if I do any shooting now, it'll have to be within the confines of my own home. Hopefully, an intruder and not an in-law, like at my bachelor party.

Archived