Time for Rivet to hang 'em up

korab rules

Paul Hamilton's been talking this season about how panicky Ruff tends to get. Here's a classic example.

Do you think it's a panic move to bench Butler, a highly inconsistent young defenseman who had a crappy game last night, in favor of a veteran defenseman?

Do you think Paul Hamilton is a solid source of hockey knowledge and analysis?

Do you think it's a panic move to bench Butler, a highly inconsistent young defenseman who had a crappy game last night, in favor of a veteran defenseman?

Only when he says something that could be construed as supporting PA's vendetta.

Yes, when the veteran defenseman is Craig Rivet, and sometimes.

Why the criticism about a guy who is willing to bust his balls and do whatever it takes to get in the game and play at an acceptable level? Methinks there are quite a few players on that roster who could benefit from Rivet's mindset. I'd say he's leading by example right now.

Having said that, as much as I wish otherwise, yeah he's probably about done.

I have to say this... What better guy to have waiting in the wings? We've seen rashes of injuries before, I wouldn't mind seeing Rivet nursed back to health and plugged in when a spot opens up.

First thing I thought when I heard during the first intermission that Butler was scratched because of a bad giveaway last game, was how much I hate that about Lindy. I'm with PA, and the sports writer, on this one. And I'd be saying that even if Rivet didn't go and prove us right on that first penalty he took.

First thing I thought when I heard during the first intermission that Butler was scratched because of a bad giveaway last game, was how much I hate that about Lindy. I'm with PA, and the sports writer, on this one. And I'd be saying that even if Rivet didn't go and prove us right on that first penalty he took.

How do you know that he was scratched simply because of that bad giveaway? That may have been a particularly bad example, but was he really playing all that well otherwise? Don't get me wrong, I'm not dumping on the guy for being terrible, but if his performance was just so-so, then perhaps Lindy would rather not scratch his Captain again just for so-so. If one bad giveaway were enough to get benched, he wouldn't have any defenseman (or forwards, really) left to play.

Word is that after the morning meetings Rivet burst out of Ruffs office with a stern look on his face and exited quickly. Ennis was also in meeting with Ruff, Rivet may be a scratch again based on his demeanor. If these reports are true it won't be long before a new captain is picked and Rivet is eased out.

Word is that after the morning meetings Rivet burst out of Ruffs office with a stern look on his face and exited quickly. Ennis was also in meeting with Ruff, Rivet may be a scratch again based on his demeanor. If these reports are true it won't be long before a new captain is picked and Rivet is eased out.

Let's give proper credit;

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2010/11/keep-an-eye-on-sabres-defense-pairs.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fsabres+%28Sabres+Edge%29

What am I missing? Did Rivet really play that poorly last night? I was praising him for last night in another thread. The other team scored only two goals and one of them was a Pominville special that had no business going in. Miller was good but not great the rest of the night which means, to me, all the D played pretty good.

EDIT:I think I just figured it out. Rivet played too physical a game. That doesn't sit well with Ruff. :D

What am I missing? Did Rivet really play that poorly last night? I was praising him for last night in another thread. The other team scored only two goals and one of them was a Pominville special that had no business going in. Miller was good but not great the rest of the night which means, to me, all the D played pretty good.

He only played 10 minutes. Took a bad penalty and was a minus 2. There was one play where the Sabres were on the rush and Rivet tried to hit Ennis with a pass. He threw it behind him and the play went the other way and Leopold eventually took a penalty.

Rivet is not capable of playing in the NHL at this point in his career. His "captaincy" was a abomination from day one and it will hopefully come to a end shortly.

EDIT:I think I just figured it out. Rivet played too physical a game. That doesn't sit well with Ruff. :D

He has 12 hits in 13 games. He has almost as many giveaways with 10.

He has 12 hits in 13 games. He has almost as many giveaways with 10.

Clearing someone out of the crease doesn't show up on a stat sheet. I saw him do that a lot last night. It was also one of the first games in a LONG time that I thought the Sabres gave as good as they got in front of the nets.

Clearing someone out of the crease doesn't show up on a stat sheet. I saw him do that a lot last night. It was also one of the first games in a LONG time that I thought the Sabres gave as good as they got in front of the nets.

He only played ten minutes. For him to clear out the crease "a lot" that would mean that the Kings spent a lot of time in the Sabres end while Rivet was on the ice for that ten minutes.

Archived