Time for Rivet to hang 'em up

korab rules

I like Rivet, he served a purpose at the time he was acquired, but his time has passed. This snippet from the news today made me groan:

"The stay-at-home defenseman has been working to improve his agility, staying on the ice to skate with coaches James Patrick and Brian McCutcheon".

I'm sorry, but when your 36 year old stay at home defenseman has to stay after school for extra skating practice in the hopes of cracking the lineup, it's time to go.

Really, how much benefit is a 36 year old NHL veteran going to get from extra practice? He's been skating for more than three decades - he is as agile as he is ever going to be.

Thanks for babysitting the kids for a few years, Rivs, but it seems like Roy and Vanek are old enough to stay home by themselves now. Time to go get a real job. :death:

I like Rivet, he served a purpose at the time he was acquired, but his time has passed. This snippet from the news today made me groan:

"The stay-at-home defenseman has been working to improve his agility, staying on the ice to skate with coaches James Patrick and Brian McCutcheon".

I'm sorry, but when your 36 year old stay at home defenseman has to stay after school for extra skating practice in the hopes of cracking the lineup, it's time to go.

Really, how much benefit is a 36 year old NHL veteran going to get from extra practice? He's been skating for more than three decades - he is as agile as he is ever going to be.

Thanks for babysitting the kids for a few years, Rivs, but it seems like Roy and Vanek are old enough to stay home by themselves now. Time to go get a real job. :death:

Well, I think he's almost certainly done after this year. However, I don't see any reason to push him into retirement. He's entitled to the benefit of the contract he signed. In any event, as DeLuca has pointed out, between Rivet's $3.5MM, TC's $4.5MM and Stafford's $1.9MM, that's a cool $9.9MMto allocate towards getting a good player or 2 this summer.

Also, a decent but not long stretch of good play is not enough for me to consider the maturity issue on this team as finally settled.

Why the criticism about a guy who is willing to bust his balls and do whatever it takes to get in the game and play at an acceptable level? Methinks there are quite a few players on that roster who could benefit from Rivet's mindset. I'd say he's leading by example right now.

Having said that, as much as I wish otherwise, yeah he's probably about done.

Well, I think he's almost certainly done after this year. However, I don't see any reason to push him into retirement. He's entitled to the benefit of the contract he signed. In any event, as DeLuca has pointed out, between Rivet's $3.5MM, TC's $4.5MM and Stafford's $1.9MM, that's a cool $9.9MMto allocate towards getting a good player or 2 this summer.

Also, a decent but not long stretch of good play is not enough for me to consider the maturity issue on this team as finally settled.

There is a reason to push him into retirement: That C on his chest! We all know of Ruff's history, and I think that as long as he has that C Ruff will feel obligated to stick him back in the lineup. The Sabres are about to get run down by a Washington freight train, which means Rivs will be back in for the weekend. We will be treated to more of his matador imitation until he gets hurt or butler slips him some bad shrimp again. If the C is gone Rivs can move a barkalounger into the press box and collect his SS check until the season and his contract are over.

Why the criticism about a guy who is willing to bust his balls and do whatever it takes to get in the game and play at an acceptable level? Methinks there are quite a few players on that roster who could benefit from Rivet's mindset. I'd say he's leading by example right now.

Having said that, as much as I wish otherwise, yeah he's probably about done.

I love his effort, but he reminds me of the philly defensemen in the 2006 playoff series. Remember wave after wave of sabres forwards blowing past those traffic cones they were using for defensemen? Rivet is now that traffic cone.

What you mean it's all hooey about maturing well like a good wine. :unsure: Damn their goes my Tiger woods, Michael Jorden, Gilbert Perreault some day I wanna be dreams all in a flash like a bic to a crackpipe.

In seriousness though I think you may be right. Accepting you may no longer have it has to be the toughest part of being an athelete that has been successful competing at a high level.

I do agree with Nfreeman about allowing him to finish the season as an insurance policy should someone get hurt and need a fill in for a few games or as a Patrick type player coach. It may not be a bad way to let him head off into the sunset given this teams supposed bad rep for treating players.

I love his effort, but he reminds me of the philly defensemen in the 2006 playoff series. Remember wave after wave of sabres forwards blowing past those traffic cones they were using for defensemen? Rivet is now that traffic cone.

Agreed. I just don't get the contempt that seemed to be directed at him putting the effort into getting back to being a useful player.

ETA- How many of us have criticized Connolly for choosing not to take extra practice to get better at faceoffs? He deserves whatever criticism he gets. Rivet OTOH is busting his ass trying to get back to being a valuable player. I might not dress him on game day, but you can bet your ass I want him around to show the other slackers what real committment looks like.

Agreed. I just don't get the contempt that seemed to be directed at him putting the effort into getting back to being a useful player.

ETA- How many of us have criticized Connolly for choosing not to take extra practice to get better at faceoffs? He deserves whatever criticism he gets. Rivet OTOH is busting his ass trying to get back to being a valuable player. I might not dress him on game day, but you can bet your ass I want him around to show the other slackers what real committment looks like.

Its not contempt. Actually, I feel sorry for the guy. I love that he is doing everything in his power to stay competitive, and it is a great example to the kids on team. BUT the guy is a dinosaur stuck in a tar pit, and unfortunately he skates like one, too. The problem is that C on his chest. As long as its there, Ruff will keep sticking him in the lineup whether it is deserved or not. Surrender the C and I have no problem with him serving as our eighth defenseman (other than the fact that he will earn another 3 million doing so).

There is a reason to push him into retirement: That C on his chest! We all know of Ruff's history, and I think that as long as he has that C Ruff will feel obligated to stick him back in the lineup. The Sabres are about to get run down by a Washington freight train, which means Rivs will be back in for the weekend. We will be treated to more of his matador imitation until he gets hurt or butler slips him some bad shrimp again. If the C is gone Rivs can move a barkalounger into the press box and collect his SS check until the season and his contract are over.

But he's already been healthy-scratched for 5 games or so, and we're only 19 games into the season.

+1, and he's also a better insurance policy than Weber when the injury bug strikes.

But he's already been healthy-scratched for 5 games or so, and we're only 19 games into the season.

Healthy scratched? The first time he came out was because of a shoulder issue. The second time was for food poisoning. Yes, Ruff has kept him out because of the win streak, but is there any doubt in your mind he's going back in when they lose a game? Without the C, Ruff can make scratch decisions based on how players are playing rather than who has a letter on his chest.

Are you expecting Darcy and Larry to change their longstanding policy of not wading into the deep end of the free agent pool on July 1?

Are you expecting Darcy and Larry to change their longstanding policy of not wading into the deep end of the free agent pool on July 1?

Remember how they spent all that jack on a high scoring forward after they let Loods and Tally go? Oh wait they just brought in Neids, Leopold and Morrisson.

.............re-signing Montador.

Last time he was "ready to end his career" as the fans said, he left to SJ and played his best hockey there. I really hope he can have a fresh start somewhere he is respected, though the mental backbone of Sabres will not last with the rest of the players(leaders?). He is not young, but with that age, not done either. What the body says, is different. But that is something nobody here knows.

Last time he was "ready to end his career" as the fans said, he left to SJ and played his best hockey there. I really hope he can have a fresh start somewhere he is respected, though the mental backbone of Sabres will not last with the rest of the players(leaders?). He is not young, but with that age, not done either. What the body says, is different. But that is something nobody here knows.

I hate nobody. he's holding back valuable info.

Healthy scratched? The first time he came out was because of a shoulder issue. The second time was for food poisoning. Yes, Ruff has kept him out because of the win streak, but is there any doubt in your mind he's going back in when they lose a game? Without the C, Ruff can make scratch decisions based on how players are playing rather than who has a letter on his chest.

You're not going to make me deliver quotes and links, are you? He was definitely healthy-scratched separate and apart from the shoulder issue. Then he came back for a couple of games, then he got sick. It was even in the paper today or yesterday that he's been healthy and wanting to get back in for the last couple of games, but Lindy has been scratching him because the team has been playing well. That's a healthy scratch.

"Expecting" might be too strong of a word. A man can dream, can't he? Hope! Change!

.............re-signing Montador.

This raises an interesting point. Ol' Monty has been playing pretty well, and his pairing with Leopold has been pretty effective. I don't expect the Sabres to give him a huge contract, but if he keeps it up I can see something like an extension for $2MM x 2 years.

Thanks for joining our site Mrs. Rivet! Please don't take anything we say personally. Everything we say here is out of love for our team. Craig has been a warrior, and we all wish him well. Please give him our best.

This raises an interesting point. Ol' Monty has been playing pretty well, and his pairing with Leopold has been pretty effective. I don't expect the Sabres to give him a huge contract, but if he keeps it up I can see something like an extension for $2MM x 2 years.

If he keeps playing like he has been I would have no problem with this. He finally seems to have found his groove. Even when he plays bad you can't question his effort.

If he keeps it up, he'll end up at 5 mill a year.

If they were smart they would re-sign him before the season ends when other teams offer him something the Sabres won't match.

Archived