Time for Rivet to hang 'em up

korab rules

Rivet is not capable of playing in the NHL at this point in his career. His "captaincy" was a abomination from day one and it will hopefully come to a end shortly.

Mmmmm. Refreshing. It's been too long since you've contributed a a nice hysterical exaggeration.

Rivet is on his last legs but remains a useful depth player. He was made the captain upon joining the Sabres because he was the only grownup on a team full of "fragile little children", as their own best player described them. There was no one else on the team that was captain-worthy at that time and I'm not sure there is right now either.

He only played ten minutes. For him to clear out the crease "a lot" that would mean that the Kings spent a lot of time in the Sabres end while Rivet was on the ice for that ten minutes.

How many of his minutes were played with Grey Cloud on the ice with him though?

And if he is sitting because of a bad pass I would think he'd have to get in line.

Mmmmm. Refreshing. It's been too long since you've contributed a a nice hysterical exaggeration.

Rivet is on his last legs but remains a useful depth player. He was made the captain upon joining the Sabres because he was the only grownup on a team full of "fragile little children", as their own best player described them. There was no one else on the team that was captain-worthy at that time and I'm not sure there is right now either.

Didn't Miller say that last season? Under Rivet's second season as Captain? Not having anyone else worthy of the captaincy doesn't make Rivet worthy of it. He may be the worst Sabres captain in their history.

What is the standard Connolly is being judged on? He scores a goal or has a few points and is considered as having a good game? This is a player the Sabres gave a lot up for and has given a lot of money to.

How would you describe a good game from him? He is supposed to score so when he does it is considered good. Some aren't happy even after a win. I have no illusions about this team but I do enjoy a victory.

I love his effort, but he reminds me of the philly defensemen in the 2006 playoff series. Remember wave after wave of sabres forwards blowing past those traffic cones they were using for defensemen? Rivet is now that traffic cone.

He's a modern day Dana Murzyn

How do you know that he was scratched simply because of that bad giveaway? That may have been a particularly bad example, but was he really playing all that well otherwise? Don't get me wrong, I'm not dumping on the guy for being terrible, but if his performance was just so-so, then perhaps Lindy would rather not scratch his Captain again just for so-so. If one bad giveaway were enough to get benched, he wouldn't have any defenseman (or forwards, really) left to play.

Someone on the intermission report said that's why Ruff scratched him, I dunno, were they lying?

He only played 10 minutes. Took a bad penalty and was a minus 2. There was one play where the Sabres were on the rush and Rivet tried to hit Ennis with a pass. He threw it behind him and the play went the other way and Leopold eventually took a penalty.

Rivet is not capable of playing in the NHL at this point in his career. His "captaincy" was a abomination from day one and it will hopefully come to a end shortly.

Although I agree that Rivet's been aging right before our eyes ever since he started with us, no way will I demean his being chosen for Captain, on a team where nobody else even wants the ###### job. Buncha pikers.

Someone on the intermission report said that's why Ruff scratched him, I dunno, were they lying?

Probably not lying, but rather surmising. Do you really believe that Lindy said "I'm benching Butler because of that bad giveaway" to anyone of them? I doubt he would do that even if it were the truth.

Not a good sign for Craig: when asked in the post-game presser about how he played tonight, Lindy said he'll have to take a look at it, that he was on the ice for both goals against, then repeated he'd have to take a look at it.

I wonder, because I don't have it in front of me. Was Rivet the only Sabre on the ice for both goals against? And now that I think about it, how does it even matter that he was on the ice for the second one, anyway? Was he supposed to do something to prevent Lalime from having a brain fart?

Yes, he's older, and yes, he is slower and not nearly as tough as he was a few seasons ago. But this whole thing is starting to look like some sort of sick scapegoating ######. I really am having a hard time liking Lindy these days.

Rumor about craig on espn insider; RIVET COULD RETIRE MID SEASON

Craig Rivet's tenure with the Buffalo Sabres is likely coming to an end. It's only a matter of when and how.

This season has been a disaster for the Sabres' captain. Averaging under 16 minutes per game, Rivet has only a single point (an assist) through 12 contests. The 36-year-old was made a healthy scratch for two games at the end of October and has missed the past three while battling either the flu or food poisoning. It hasn't been pretty.

Rivet actually contemplated retirement over the summer. By all accounts at present, he made the wrong decision in choosing to skate another season.

So what now? It's not often a team captain decides to toss in his skates midway through the season. In this case, we anticipate the Sabres will (quietly) ask Rivet to give up the captaincy. An announcement of retirement should follow a short time later. It would come as a surprise if the veteran defenseman was still skating for the team in March.

- Victoria Matiash

Rumor about craig on espn insider; RIVET COULD RETIRE MID SEASON

Craig Rivet's tenure with the Buffalo Sabres is likely coming to an end. It's only a matter of when and how.

This season has been a disaster for the Sabres' captain. Averaging under 16 minutes per game, Rivet has only a single point (an assist) through 12 contests. The 36-year-old was made a healthy scratch for two games at the end of October and has missed the past three while battling either the flu or food poisoning. It hasn't been pretty.

Rivet actually contemplated retirement over the summer. By all accounts at present, he made the wrong decision in choosing to skate another season.

So what now? It's not often a team captain decides to toss in his skates midway through the season. In this case, we anticipate the Sabres will (quietly) ask Rivet to give up the captaincy. An announcement of retirement should follow a short time later. It would come as a surprise if the veteran defenseman was still skating for the team in March.

- Victoria Matiash

As I've said before, he has about 3 million good reasons not to retire. He's 36, has been playing hockey his whole life, no college degree (and probably no coursework) and is facing at entering a heckuva lousy job market with no skills.

Anything can happen, but I'll be very surprised if he retires before the season is over or nearly there.

As I've said before, he has about 3 million good reasons not to retire. He's 36, has been playing hockey his whole life, no college degree (and probably no coursework) and is facing at entering a heckuva lousy job market with no skills.

Anything can happen, but I'll be very surprised if he retires before the season is over or nearly there.

Hopefully with the money he's made he had good advise on how to manage it. No doubt with the networking he's done in all the cities he's played he'll have opportunitys even with no college degree. Its hard to feel sorry for these guys after they're done with the game with all the money they make but by all accounts he's a stand up guy and deserves to land on his feet. But lets face it,he's done.

:blink:

Is there any retirement settlement in the CBA? I would be surprised to find out if he retires today he wouldn't get a dime.

You think a guy who has made millions is going to be picking up the want ads and grousing about the job market? :unsure:

First thing I thought when I heard during the first intermission that Butler was scratched because of a bad giveaway last game, was how much I hate that about Lindy. I'm with PA, and the sports writer, on this one. And I'd be saying that even if Rivet didn't go and prove us right on that first penalty he took.

If they're going to carry 8 d-men all year, they should all be ready to be bounced from the lineup at any moment.

Archived