Time for Rivet to hang 'em up

korab rules

Hopefully with the money he's made he had good advise on how to manage it. No doubt with the networking he's done in all the cities he's played he'll have opportunitys even with no college degree. Its hard to feel sorry for these guys after they're done with the game with all the money they make but by all accounts he's a stand up guy and deserves to land on his feet. But lets face it,he's done.

You think a guy who has made millions is going to be picking up the want ads and grousing about the job market? :unsure:

He's not going to be eating dog food anytime soon, but I highly doubt he's made enough to support him and his family comfortably for the next 40-50 years. He's had one good contract in his career, which he's in the 4th and final year of. He definitely has not made enough to walk away from $3MM.

He's not going to be eating dog food anytime soon, but I highly doubt he's made enough to support him and his family comfortably for the next 40-50 years. He's had one good contract in his career, which he's in the 4th and final year of. He definitely has not made enough to walk away from $3MM.

Maybe he'll have to sell his dream house on the ocean he was so disappointed to leave behind in Cali...

Hockey players might be a little different, but you'd be surprised how quickly a pro athlete making millions can blow through his entire worth.

It's not so much they go flat broke, but it is impossible for many to maintain their accustomed quality of life after they are done playing. A guy can make 2 million a year for 5 years. He buys a $1 million house in the city he plays in, a $600K house in his hometown, a $200K house for his mamma, a brand new $80K Escalade for the snow, a $120K Porsche for the summer, a $100K BMW for the wife, a $50,000 BMW for the girlfriend, $1 million goes to the agent, $30K goes to other lawyers, he loses $300K in a shady investment he got talked into, taxes/utilities/insurance for 5 years totals $150K, $300K set aside for kids' education, $100K he gives to childhood friends and hanger-ons, $10K a month for the rest of his expenses, and oh yeah, $2.8 million to Uncle Sam.

After 5 years the athlete is left with......$2.67 million....and probably 2 houses worth 70% of what they were, if not the $2.6 itself. He also now has $150K a year in expenses going forward if he continues to support the same network. Given the 0% interest environment and rising costs, if he doesn't land a steady gig in broadcasting or coaching....he's got 10 years before he's flat broke and pimping every car dealership, training academy, and wife's book around.

Now add in a few Rolexes, baby-mommas, and hush-hush money to the 16yo in Sweeden....and you can see how reality can smack an athlete in the face pretty quickly.

Wow. How a few years makes a difference around here. Seems like only yesterday we were all nuts about him fighting in his first few preseason games.

I'm still shocked that there's this much discussion about the financial well-being of a veteran professional athlete. I see here freeman's coming from, but this is definitely a new one in these parts. I'll still take that over the drunken teenage rants about the wonders of a 2-8 football team.

Hockey players might be a little different, but you'd be surprised how quickly a pro athlete making millions can blow through his entire worth.

It's not so much they go flat broke, but it is impossible for many to maintain their accustomed quality of life after they are done playing. A guy can make 2 million a year for 5 years. He buys a $1 million house in the city he plays in, a $600K house in his hometown, a $200K house for his mamma, a brand new $80K Escalade for the snow, a $120K Porsche for the summer, a $100K BMW for the wife, a $50,000 BMW for the girlfriend, $1 million goes to the agent, $30K goes to other lawyers, he loses $300K in a shady investment he got talked into, taxes/utilities/insurance for 5 years totals $150K, $300K set aside for kids' education, $100K he gives to childhood friends and hanger-ons, $10K a month for the rest of his expenses, and oh yeah, $2.8 million to Uncle Sam.

After 5 years the athlete is left with......$2.67 million....and probably 2 houses worth 70% of what they were, if not the $2.6 itself. He also now has $150K a year in expenses going forward if he continues to support the same network. Given the 0% interest environment and rising costs, if he doesn't land a steady gig in broadcasting or coaching....he's got 10 years before he's flat broke and pimping every car dealership, training academy, and wife's book around.

Now add in a few Rolexes, baby-mommas, and hush-hush money to the 16yo in Sweeden....and you can see how reality can smack an athlete in the face pretty quickly.

Yes. Americans tend to define "rich" by the salary someone makes alone. A large salary only gives you a greater opportunity to become and remain wealthy. You are only as rich as the amount you save and it's quite easy for athletes to squander their fortunes if they aren't managing their wealth properly.

I'm still shocked that there's this much discussion about the financial well-being of a veteran professional athlete. I see here freeman's coming from, but this is definitely a new one in these parts. I'll still take that over the drunken teenage rants about the wonders of a 2-8 football team.

Well, we aren't talking about having a telethon for the guy. It is relevant to the issue of his willingness to retire before the end of the year.

As for the last part, this spurred me to read the bills thread. I wish I could say he went down in flames, but it was more of an increase in frequency of the same drivel. Word.

Well, we aren't talking about having a telethon for the guy. It is relevant to the issue of his willingness to retire before the end of the year.

As for the last part, this spurred me to read the bills thread. I wish I could say he went down in flames, but it was more of an increase in frequency of the same drivel. Word.

Come on, man. Aren't you a standup guy? I think you are.

I've written silly things before and admitted it.

The truth shall set you free.

I have no problem with the idea that he won't just walk away from that much money. I'm just surprised by where the conversation went after that. Compared to some other recent posts (hmmm, I wonder which ones I'm talking about :unsure: ), it definitely puts of a "quiet, the adults are talking" vibe.

And speaking of old people... PA, if my grandfather had gotten some hollywood makeup job, he would have looked exactly like your avatar.

I have no problem with the idea that he won't just walk away from that much money. I'm just surprised by where the conversation went after that. Compared to some other recent posts (hmmm, I wonder which ones I'm talking about :unsure: ), it definitely puts of a "quiet, the adults are talking" vibe.

And speaking of old people... PA, if my grandfather had gotten some hollywood makeup job, he would have looked exactly like your avatar.

Minus a hot start and the Olympics....the hockey discussion could pretty much have been on automatic pilot the past 4 years. Sort of like the team.

I wish more people would bring different aspects to the conversation. The $$ is an interesting sidebar, although I would think pride takes position over $$ at this point for a guy like Rivet.

The problem if Rivet leaves is that while Sekera has played a nice stretch....he is not a playoff defenseman. He gets moved off the puck in a flash, and rarely wins a 1 on 1 along the boards. He also tends to panic under pressure. If Lindy is going to rely on him as his #2/#3....watch out. Although it's quickly looking like playoffs aren't in the picture with this Miller fiasco.

Come on, man. Aren't you a standup guy? I think you are.

I've written silly things before and admitted it.

The truth shall set you free.

Well, I appreciate the compliment (I think), but I'm not sure what I said that was silly. I do think that he's not going to walk away from $3MM, and that this is an economic decision -- is that what you were referring to? If so I think we will have to agree to disagree.

The problem if Rivet leaves is that while Sekera has played a nice stretch....he is not a playoff defenseman. He gets moved off the puck in a flash, and rarely wins a 1 on 1 along the boards. He also tends to panic under pressure. If Lindy is going to rely on him as his #2/#3....watch out. Although it's quickly looking like playoffs aren't in the picture with this Miller fiasco.

While I wouldn't want to have 6 Sekeras in the playoffs, IMHO, 1 of them, playing the way Reggie is now, will not create problems in the playoffs. Soupy was a playoff asset and Sekera will be as well.

Well, I appreciate the compliment (I think), but I'm not sure what I said that was silly. I do think that he's not going to walk away from $3MM, and that this is an economic decision -- is that what you were referring to? If so I think we will have to agree to disagree.

While I wouldn't want to have 6 Sekeras in the playoffs, IMHO, 1 of them, playing the way Reggie is now, will not create problems in the playoffs. Soupy was a playoff asset and Sekera will be as well.

Sekera has played well for a 2 week stretch. I think he is a liability under usual circumstances. Campbell shored up his play in his own end over time and was more explosive offensively. Sekera can skate and has vision, but I really think he is a filler.

Sekera has played well for a 2 week stretch. I think he is a liability under usual circumstances. Campbell shored up his play in his own end over time and was more explosive offensively. Sekera can skate and has vision, but I really think he is a filler.

We shall see. Reggie is 24 and in his 3rd full NHL season. At that stage of his career, Soupy was a frequent healthy scratch. I think Sekera has really improved this year in his own end and that he has very high upside. Soupy had a better shot from the point, but I think Sekera has better puckhandling skills. It certainly doesn't hurt being paired with Myers -- but OTOH the big fella's play has really improved since he got paired with Reggie.

At this point, I'm much more concerned about the 3rd pairing, as Butler, Rivet and Morrisson have all looked pretty crappy lately.

We shall see. Reggie is 24 and in his 3rd full NHL season. At that stage of his career, Soupy was a frequent healthy scratch. I think Sekera has really improved this year in his own end and that he has very high upside. Soupy had a better shot from the point, but I think Sekera has better puckhandling skills. It certainly doesn't hurt being paired with Myers -- but OTOH the big fella's play has really improved since he got paired with Reggie.

At this point, I'm much more concerned about the 3rd pairing, as Butler, Rivet and Morrisson have all looked pretty crappy lately.

And a frequent nightmare when he wasn't.

Archived