The Walking Dead

deluca67

I agree pretty much with your take on the premier Hoss. Its different than the walking dead but thats a good thing. I'm hoping they'll have the odd cameo of famous hollywood celebs as zombies. Picture Steven Tyler as a zombie with walk this way in the background.  Could be fun but I doubt they'll debase their franchise by going that route. Started out real slow for me but hopefully it builds . We'll know by episode 2 whether its worth following or not. I'll prolly stick it out unless it gets real bad.

This seems like a stretch. The daughter's boyfriend came off like about the nicest, most likable "teenage boyfriend" character you could have on a TV-MA show. The kid sleeping in class was smart enough to have the answer when the teacher woke him up. And the principal came off as a generally good, competent guy. The fourth one was a drug dealer but that was shades of Gus Fring from Breaking Bad in that he had a completely different public persona when the parents came to visit him. He seemed intelligent. The worst part about his character was that he was inexplicably overpowered by a junky who escaped from the hospital, but I guess anything's possible when two people are struggling for a gun.

And none of those four characters were as grating as the drug addict they cast as the lead for the show.

None of what you said takes away from what I said. Her boyfriend was super nice and loving, but he's still being presented as her flaw. He's the artist who wants to rage against the machine, and he's the reason she skipped class. He's talented enough for Juilliard but "do you know any artists I like that went to Juilliard?" Probably not, because he's a badass rebel and she's the goody white daughter. The kid that fell asleep in class knowing the answer was basically the stereotype of "blacks could do more if they weren't so lazy." The drug dealer couldn't have been worse. SPOILER ALERT: he's first shown cleaning his minivan... But SURPRISE (NOT!) he's a wicked drug dealer. Oh, and he knows just where to take you if he wants to show you with a handgun when you become a problem. Oh, and he's really stupid so any junkie can overpower and kill him.

The principal was the lone exception but the preview for the season shows something about him that changes that.

It's not just a comment about the show. It's something all of Hollywood/show production does. They're willing to have black characters, but they already know what roles they'll play if they aren't one of your favorite household names.

Edited by Hoss

When did this change to the politics thread?  This is ridiculous.

As for the show, I can't be the only one who can't wait for the junkie Johnny Depp wannabe to get eaten.  I'm already picturing a zombie Edward Scissorhands walking around out there.

My wife called him almost exactly that.  Said it felt a lot like watching Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing but with much worse acting....

When did this change to the politics thread?  This is ridiculous.

As for the show, I can't be the only one who can't wait for the junkie Johnny Depp wannabe to get eaten.  I'm already picturing a zombie Edward Scissorhands walking around out there.

I get Cheap James Franco instead of Johnny Depp. I don't hate him; watching a guy like that sober up while going through the zombie apocalypse could be interesting. Also just watching him go insane last episode was kinda fun.

On a side note, I'm not sure I can handle the stress of TWO of these shows.

None of what you said takes away from what I said. Her boyfriend was super nice and loving, but he's still being presented as her flaw. He's the artist who wants to rage against the machine, and he's the reason she skipped class. He's talented enough for Juilliard but "do you know any artists I like that went to Juilliard?" Probably not, because he's a badass rebel and she's the goody white daughter. The kid that fell asleep in class knowing the answer was basically the stereotype of "blacks could do more if they weren't so lazy." The drug dealer couldn't have been worse. SPOILER ALERT: he's first shown cleaning his minivan... But SURPRISE (NOT!) he's a wicked drug dealer. Oh, and he knows just where to take you if he wants to show you with a handgun when you become a problem. Oh, and he's really stupid so any junkie can overpower and kill him.

The principal was the lone exception but the preview for the season shows something about him that changes that.

It's not just a comment about the show. It's something all of Hollywood/show production does. They're willing to have black characters, but they already know what roles they'll play if they aren't one of your favorite household names.

Yeah, I think you're really overreacting.  The "goody white daughter" skipped class on her own; he was surprised to see her there.  And the "artsy, super-talented kid with a rebellious streak" is a trope but not really a negative one.  He and the daughter were both about equally goody/slightly rebellious.  

Somehow I doubt the kid who fell asleep in class was supposed to represent all black people or any specific commentary about them.  If anything, I think that scene was more about showing the dad character was good at his job and actually cared about his students.  That is, building out who he is *before* the apocalypse so that we can compare later when everything goes to hell.

The drug dealer "couldn't have been worse"?  If you enjoyed Gus Fring on Breaking Bad, wasn't this just a teenage version of him?  Outwardly he's a pillar of the community but he's secretly a monster.  I'm also wondering which races you're OK with as "wicked drug dealers" in fiction.

It's weird that a pilot episode that featured the positive portrayal of two interracial relationships and three very different black characters (boyfriend, principal, and drug dealer -- the kid in class wasn't really a character) is somehow wildly racist.

I can't stand Kim Dickens, the wife. She almost singlehandedly ruined Season 3 of House of Cards. That face. Ugh. Same expression all the time. Having sex with the president's biographer... watching your first walker get plowed by a pickup truck... eating an ice cream cone... Can't do it. Thanks.

Hoss... I dunno, man. I think you are trying too hard. No offense, but your posts tend to portray you as the stereotypical oversensitive millennial. I recall when my criticism of Ryan Miller's baby's name brought charges of xenophobia. Ya know, when racism is everywhere, it's nowhere. Same with the rape culture. You add 1 and 1 and 1 and get something more than 3.

The black kid who was painting the mural — you did hear that it was a school project, right? He wasn't tagging it. He did joke about coming back later and tagging it, but that doesn't make him the stereotypical black graffiti thug.

Edited by PASabreFan

• 1 month later...

Wow, this series really picked up and could be the Better Call Saul to Breaking Bad. That is, better than the original. Then again, that's almost damning with faint praise when it comes to what The Walking Dead became.

There's some pretty strong acting in FWTD and some great character clashes, namely the hardened old man Daniel and the naive Travis.

I heard there's also a web series that's also out on amc.com about things turning ugly on an airliner.

It's that time of year.

Wow, this series really picked up and could be the Better Call Saul to Breaking Bad. That is, better than the original. Then again, that's almost damning with faint praise when it comes to what The Walking Dead became.

There's some pretty strong acting in FWTD and some great character clashes, namely the hardened old man Daniel and the naive Travis.

I heard there's also a web series that's also out on amc.com about things turning ugly on an airliner.

It's that time of year.

Ruben blades has always been a favorite of mine

I thought FTWD was ok and got better as the (very short) season went on.  I started out hating Maddie, but like her now (Probably after the Treme wore off. I had just finished watching that show and the actress was a big part of it).  Travis annoys the crap out of me though.  He takes naivete to a whole new level.  The last episode was good, except for the fact that bites seem to be able to have different effect periods depending on how much time they need to wrap up a storyline  ;)  I'm likely never to like Nick much, but his new friend seems like he'll be a promising and mysterious new storyline.

FTWD was so much better than I expected. I agree with PA in that I am actually more excited to see how this story turns out than the original WD, which has grown stale to me. I'm glad to have both series to enjoy (more or less) for now.

Agreed. Don't know how many more scenarios they can dream up for our roaming band of misfits. Do like Breaking Bad and end it when it should end. Either they get eaten or they find salvation.

It's that time of year.

FTWD was so much better than I expected.  I agree with PA in that I am actually more excited to see how this story turns out than the original WD, which has grown stale to me.  I'm glad to have both series to enjoy (more or less) for now. 

I disagree with basically all of this. I thought Fear was pretty awful to be honest. Here's my biggest issue: it was supposed to be different--rather than about survival, it was supposed to be about the fall of civilization. But what we got was a family soap opera and the fall of civilization happened so fast (and with barely any information/visuals) that what we're left with may as well be called TWD: Los Angeles. 

As for the premier last night: why oh why is the stupid priest still alive.

Didn't like the 90 min. premier. Hour and a half to slowly lead an army of walkers down a country lane. Boring as hell.

Spoiler alert !

The priest/pastor has to be the idiot honking the horn.

I figured it was the Wolves

They have the pictures of Alexandria that Daryl and whatshisface dropped at that truck yard trap.

I should have watched a few of the last episodes from last season to bring myself up to speed. Seems like ages ago. That and the fact I had a hard time keeping my eyes open in the premier last night. Hopefully next week steps it up.

I enjoyed TWD season premier. Very gritty feel. Everyone seems to be going crazy in their own way. I think Alexandria is going to have to be abandoned. There's no way they can hold it against that onslaught.

The de-evolution of Rick into this sociopath psycho killer is kinda awesome. I like Morgan's stance on all this. He's like hey old bud Rick...wait...what did you just do, then you did what? You can almost see a faction growing with Morgan, Michone, Grant and Darryl who don't seem to be all that thrilled about new found blood lust. Carol, who's psychosis is another thing, might be Rick's only ally, that makes me giddy about this series.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.