Rick Rypien

shrader

I know we have the around the league thread, but this one is going to be a big deal. Check out the video. I think this one will be a record breaking suspension and I wouldn't mind if he was gone for the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5LdnNz2gXo

The best part of that video is Raffi Torres looking to see if the kid had any Nachos leftover.

This may be a strange question. Why is there a area behind the bench where a fan can easily step down and get to players?

The best part of that video is Raffi Torres looking to see if the kid had any Nachos leftover.

This may be a strange question. Why is there a area behind the bench where a fan can easily step down and get to players?

Most arenas have them. The Sabres (and I'd have to think, most teams) have a canopy that they wheel out when players are obviously going to come on/off ice, like in between periods or before the game. But it's not readied for an incident like this, which is somewhat unexpected.

The bigger question is whether Rypien can be suspended retroactively, thus rendering him ineligible for Super Bowl XXVI. I say yes. Bills win.

Some of the suspension lengths recommended here are absolutely ridiculous. If he had thrown a punch or something along that line, then yes I can see a huge, if not season-ending, suspension. He gave the fan a shove. Does he deserve a suspension? Yes. Should it be a huge one? Hardly.

I predict a 5 game suspension, not because I think that's what he deserves (although that would be in the appropriate range, IMO), but rather because the NHL is so weak when they hand out their suspensions, in general.

Hey, first time posting here on these boards. Just thought I would give my two cents being from Minnesota...

At the Xcel Engery Center there are railings by those seats but they aren't very high. The Wild have been criticized for lack of security in the runway and a low railing separating the fans from players.

Most arenas have them. The Sabres (and I'd have to think, most teams) have a canopy that they wheel out when players are obviously going to come on/off ice, like in between periods or before the game. But it's not readied for an incident like this, which is somewhat unexpected.

There is already talk about adding a canopy to the runway. Here is an article and interview with the Wild fan: Runway view rocks, until run-in with a Canuck

And now the fan has lawyered up. What a piece of garbage. You got grabbed, your friend took a poke at Rypien because of it, you got seats on the glass and were laughing all the way, and you want damages.

Rypien was wrong.

Lawyering up is a joke.

Hey, first time posting here on these boards. Just thought I would give my two cents being from Minnesota...

At the Xcel Engery Center there are railings by those seats but they aren't very high. The Wild have been criticized for lack of security in the runway and a low railing separating the fans from players.

There is already talk about adding a canopy to the runway. Here is an article and interview with the Wild fan: Runway view rocks, until run-in with a Canuck

Welcome to the board and thanks for the link to the interesting article.

And now the fan has lawyered up. What a piece of garbage. You got grabbed, your friend took a poke at Rypien because of it, you got seats on the glass and were laughing all the way, and you want damages.

Rypien was wrong.

Lawyering up is a joke.

I freaking hate bs like this.

Rypien was wrong.

Lawyering up is a joke.

Yep, just another example of an uber litigous society pushed by over zealous lawyers feeding the hey doesn't cost me nothing if he can make something for me selfish mentality.

Rypien was wrong.

Lawyering up is a joke.

Right. Blame the victim. Who's to say he hasn't been damaged? Ever been assaulted? In front of 20,000 people? Now thrust into the limelight through no action of his own? Maybe the guy's getting harassed because of what happened. You think this kind of thing would just roll off your back?

Not a big fan of legal rights in Canada, eh?

Yep, just another example of an uber litigous society pushed by over zealous lawyers feeding the hey doesn't cost me nothing if he can make something for me selfish mentality.

People can complain all they want. I have too, but I'd take the shot at a nice little payday if I had the chance.

Right. Blame the victim. Who's to say he hasn't been damaged? Ever been assaulted? In front of 20,000 people? Now thrust into the limelight through no action of his own? Maybe the guy's getting harassed because of what happened. You think this kind of thing would just roll off your back?

Wah. This guy grabbed me and shook me a little bit.

Somebody grabs you by the shirt on the street and shakes you around, I'm pretty sure you aren't going to sue because maybe your shirt got ripped and you call the cops.

Someone you know has money does the same thing, you're suddenly in a wheelchair and have PTSD......and a lawyer.

This isn't blaming the victim. It's calling a spade, a spade.

And any limelight he would be thrust into, he would probably be doing himself.

Even for you this post is ridiculous. If that happened to me, it would be awesome. All I would want is a signed jersey of his and a picture taken with him, maybe some free tickets to another game, as well.

People can complain all they want. I have too, but I'd take the shot at a nice little payday if I had the chance.

I wouldn't.

Even for you this post is ridiculous. If that happened to me, it would be awesome. All I would want is a signed jersey of his and a picture taken with him, maybe some free tickets to another game, as well.

Not everyone is as shallow as you are, remember that.

I'm pretty sure it is illegal for the fans to reach over into the player walkway area. Of course everyone does it trying to get a hand slap but it is still officially not allowed I think.

I don't think he reached over. You could argue his clapping was a little vociferous and over the line, literally, but only by a little.

Not everyone is as shallow as you are, remember that.

I'm not really sure how that makes me shallow?

Nope. You know what? You're right. I guess realizing that an athlete can get as passionate about his sport as the fans demand him to be, then realizing that that passion can lead to him crossing a line and making a stupid mistake, then forgiving him for that mistake is pretty shallow.

How dare I forgive him and then have some fun with it? Better to punish him and make him pay. That way bad things will never happen in the future.

:wallbash:

Nope. You know what? You're right. I guess realizing that an athlete can get as passionate about his sport as the fans demand him to be, then realizing that that passion can lead to him crossing a line and making a stupid mistake, then forgiving him for that mistake is pretty shallow.

How dare I forgive him and then have some fun with it? Better to punish him and make him pay. That way bad things will never happen in the future.

The creepy thing about this is that it's a perfect analysis of the criminal justice system in America if you make Rypien a street criminal.

Shallow in that you'd rather have a free cup of coffee every day for a year than do the right thing. Oops, that's Cosmo Kramer.

I don't think he reached over. You could argue his clapping was a little vociferous and over the line, literally, but only by a little.

And the rumored taunt from the fan? "Way to be a professional". Wow, he really crossed the line there and I hope he's banned from all sports arenas for the rest of his life.

Shallow in that you'd rather have a free cup of coffee every day for a year than do the right thing. Oops, that's Cosmo Kramer.

Again, how is forgiving someone instead of punishing him, not doing the right thing?

(serenity now,...serenity now...)

Archived