Rick Rypien

shrader

Again, how is forgiving someone instead of punishing him, not doing the right thing?

(serenity now,...serenity now...)

Your proposed solution was not shallow, it was cool. It didn't involve transferring serious cash for a not-serious injury (I mean, there are people that lose arms in industrial accidents; that lose movement in car accidents, and we're worried about this bs?!); it involved what amounts to an olive branch. We need more of that.

I'm not really sure how that makes me shallow?

Nope. You know what? You're right. I guess realizing that an athlete can get as passionate about his sport as the fans demand him to be, then realizing that that passion can lead to him crossing a line and making a stupid mistake, then forgiving him for that mistake is pretty shallow.

How dare I forgive him and then have some fun with it? Better to punish him and make him pay. That way bad things will never happen in the future.

:wallbash:

Great responses.

I will not comment on the legal rights comment about Canada from PA's post.

If Rypien punched him in the face, then I'd have no issue with him lawyering up. But this kid has a great story to tell. He got better seats for starters!!!

It's disgusting to lawyer up in this situation. It's worse than the "I burned myself from your coffee McDonald's" lawsuit.

This fan admitted that he called Rypien unprofessional while the heat of the moment was in full bloom. He got grabbed for a split second. What is that worth these days?????

The autographed jersey and photo is an awesome idea by they way!

This fan admitted that he called Rypien unprofessional while the heat of the moment was in full bloom. He got grabbed for a split second.

Ahhhh the irony.

Really though, a lot of people have suggested he get a bunch of handouts from the teams to make up for it. Is that really all that different than taking it to the legal system?

Ahhhh the irony.

Really though, a lot of people have suggested he get a bunch of handouts from the teams to make up for it. Is that really all that different than taking it to the legal system?

In my opinion it's very different. It shows that two reasonable parties can resolve their differences on their own. It shows that not every grievance needs to be taken before the "Authorities" so that "they" can mete out what "they" deem to be "Justice".

(steps down off soapbox)

I think the kid should’ve dropped a few expletives like most rowdy fans say when screaming at a rival opponent. It probably wouldn’t even phased Rypien.

None the less I would ask for an apology and an autographed team jersey, since I am a jersey collector. Just to be done with the circus and publicity.

In my opinion it's very different. It shows that two reasonable parties can resolve their differences on their own. It shows that not every grievance needs to be taken before the "Authorities" so that "they" can mete out what "they" deem to be "Justice".

(steps down off soapbox)

Of course they're different, but either way, in both cases you're both looking for something in return. Then again, if it's the Wild giving the kid some swag, it's not exactly a case of resolving their differences on their own if Rypien isn't involved in any way.

Of course they're different, but either way, in both cases you're both looking for something in return. Then again, if it's the Wild giving the kid some swag, it's not exactly a case of resolving their differences on their own if Rypien isn't involved in any way.

If I was assaulted by a hockey player, then I deserve something in return, even if it's just an apology. Hockey swag is how hockey teams apologize.

(steps down off soapbox)

Even if he does take this to court, I guarantee they settle outside. There's no need for drawn out legal proceedings.

as someone whose stock and trade is litigation, i scoffed at the report that the fella was retaining counsel.

there are defensible arguments to be made for why he should sue, chief among them that he wants to deter such future conduct and thereby protect -- wait for it -- all of the kids who attend nhl games. i mean, really, what about the chil--blah blah blah blah-dee-freakin-blah.

bringing on a personal injury lawsuit for that incident doesn't pass the smell test. which is to say, the choice has a certain odor about it.

but, really, if you're a man about it (and as others have suggested), you take some swag, maybe an autographed picture of the incident itself. and if you're the sort of guy that i enjoy throwing beers back with, then maybe you suggest that the player make a charitable donation to a local charity that helps -- you guessed it, the kids.

Nice link, aud smell! Would be a great profile pic for you.

You'd take the case if it walked through the door, and so would I. Not because it's worth millions, but because it would be fun.

What time is the hearing?

Hearing is over, waiting for decision.

I haven't seen it mentioned here but am I the only one who thinks some fans have gotten out of control at sporting events. Buying a ticket gives you the ability to watch the game live, not act like a scene out of Caligula.

How was the guy out of control? Where on the ticket stub does it say when you go to the game, you are fair game to be assaulted?

What!!! Not the season???

I understand the point but still think it's too much.

They could have been much more creative and productive with his punishment than a mere suspension. Make him perform 100 hours of community service with a local youth hockey organization.

Now for sure I'd sue for all they're worth. If the league can't police itself, the courts will have to.

I feel scarred by the whole thing myself. I might sue. Now I'm afraid to go to an NHL game.

Actually, I just got a spam text, first one ever. I can sue for 500 bucks for that, right?

How was the guy out of control? Where on the ticket stub does it say when you go to the game, you are fair game to be assaulted?

Wasn't referring to that guy, while he was kinda dooshy, not a representation of what I was trying to depict. Think: Average Bills Game Attendee.

What!!! Not the season???

I understand the point but still think it's too much.

They could have been much more creative and productive with his punishment than a mere suspension. Make him perform 100 hours of community service with a local youth hockey organization.

league cant do that, punishment governed by the CBA.

Archived