Now that the Sabres woke me up with this Kennedy fiasco...

LabattBlue

Darcy himself confirmed a few weeks ago that the Sabres were after Koivu and Cullen(he didn't name names, but it was obvious who he was talking about), but after both were signed, all they ended up with in terms of forwards was Neidermeyer. Going after these guys suggests to me that DR had concerns about his Top 6, but after they signed elsewhere, there was no Plan B or Plan C? There were plenty of other scoring forwards on the market that could have been had.

You just target two "scoring" forwards and if you don't get them, you raise the white flag? Just another example of his incompetence. I don't know who should be more upset. Lindy for being saddled with this crap year after year or Miller who is going through his prime years while management is treading water.

I like the fact that there has been some roster turnover(Mair, Ellis, Lydman, Tallinder), but I am astonished that the Fab 5 is still intact.

Darcy himself confirmed a few weeks ago that the Sabres were after Koivu and Cullen(he didn't name names, but it was obvious who he was talking about), but after both were signed, all they ended up with in terms of forwards was Neidermeyer. Going after these guys suggests to me that DR had concerns about his Top 6, but after they signed elsewhere, there was no Plan B or Plan C? There were plenty of other scoring forwards on the market that could have been had.

You just target two "scoring" forwards and if you don't get them, you raise the white flag? Just another example of his incompetence. I don't know who should be more upset. Lindy for being saddled with this crap year after year or Miller who is going through his prime years while management is treading water.

I like the fact that there has been some roster turnover(Mair, Ellis, Lydman, Tallinder), but I am astonished that the Fab 5 is still intact.

It really is depressing, isn't it?

I just can't see how I'm going to be able to watch another season with this team.

It really is depressing, isn't it?

I just can't see how I'm going to be able to watch another season with this team.

Hahahahah, incredible how a team who won the NE division a year ago is going to question how you could possibly take another season of this. Ya, I'm pissed they haven't done more as well but come on, it's not like they have the talent of the Make Me Laughs. Imagine being a Leafs fan, the team was last place and barely added anything this offseason. The roster is much worse in many other cities.

Hahahahah, incredible how a team who won the NE division a year ago is going to question how you could possibly take another season of this. Ya, I'm pissed they haven't done more as well but come on, it's not like they have the talent of the Make Me Laughs. Imagine being a Leafs fan, the team was last place and barely added anything this offseason. The roster is much worse in many other cities.

Don't give a crap about the division title - Miller stole that one, in spite of the team - Not because of it.

Only other players on the team worth a damn are Myers and Vanek.

In the eyes of the last 40 years, the Sabres are just as bad as the Maple Leafs, both have not won a Stanley Cup in that time frame. To infer that a Division title means anything is completely ridiculous, teams don't play for Division Titles, teams play for the STANLEY CUP!

Division titles MEAN NOTHING!

Kaleta - "Oh, hey mom, guess what, we won the division title this year."

Kaleta's Mom - "Thats nice dear, no Stanley Cup?"

Kaleta - "No mom, we got bounced in the first round."

DIALTONE..........................

The point is that Darcy just threw up the white flag and publicly stated in a roundabout way that the sabres will not spend the money to compete for the cup. Having an internal cap 6 million below the league cap is evidence of this strategy. Regiers incompetence as a G.M. has been evident for some time now but he also just handcuffed this organization in trying to attract winners to play for this team. We need a winner in the G.M. position. What has Regier ever done in this league? Don't tell me about finals appearances or eastern conf. titles. They mean squat. Get me a G.M. that wants to win a cup first and foremost. The coyotes operate under a higher cap then Buffalo and they sold (correct me if I'm wrong)about 1800 season tickets.

The point is that Darcy just threw up the white flag and publicly stated in a roundabout way that the sabres will not spend the money to compete for the cup. Having an internal cap 6 million below the league cap is evidence of this strategy. Regiers incompetence as a G.M. has been evident for some time now but he also just handcuffed this organization in trying to attract winners to play for this team. We need a winner in the G.M. position. What has Regier ever done in this league? Don't tell me about finals appearances or eastern conf. titles. They mean squat. Get me a G.M. that wants to win a cup first and foremost. The coyotes operate under a higher cap then Buffalo and they sold (correct me if I'm wrong)about 1800 season tickets.

:blink:

Again, I wish we could establish a set of reasonable facts, so that people who want to form an opinion can do so based upon reality and not some feel good rant.

Can you explain to me and the rest of the fine posters here at SabreSpace what Darcy Regier has to do with setting any internal budget? I eagerly await your response.

Yeah sure does look that way doesn't it. I agree with everything you said and unfortunately I am also losing my interest in following this team very closely and also why I don't spend much time on this board anymore.

Yeppirs, the other players overall impression of Buffalo as an organ-eye zation sure does not improve with this type of PR. It also put's some scrutiny in their "we like to groom our own players rather than bring in FA mantra."

Again, I wish we could establish a set of reasonable facts, so that people who want to form an opinion can do so based upon reality and not some feel good rant.

Can you explain to me and the rest of the fine posters here at SabreSpace what Darcy Regier has to do with setting any internal budget? I eagerly await your response.

Where did he say Regier set the budget? I think we all know Regier doesn't set the budget. He is just the man who has horribly misspent the funds available in that budget. I doubt even the King of the Pollyannas can deny that the Sabres have millions of dollars of wasted cap space currently on the books and that Regier is responsible for every misused penny currently on the books.

He can stop overpaying underachievers and letting assets walk away for nothing for starters.

Where did bunomatic say that Darcy set the internal budget? What he said is that he handcuffed the team by broadcasting that fact to any potential FA out there.

The three stooges can't tell us that their goal is to win the Cup and then tell us they have an internal budget below the cap. Do they really think we are that stupid? Or are they that stupid? The fact is, we have the same team as last year. If the results next spring are better, I will be shocked.

let me offer up an alternate here we can blame darcy/ lindy/ tom all we want but the simple fact of the matter is if fans stopped buying tickets to support this kind of behavior then A) they would have to change said behavior or b) they would move out of buffalo.

So really the question is would you rather have a team that might get lucky and make a run in the playoffs or have no team at all.

Personally I hate the fact that this team never "goes for it" (and that is why I stopped paying to go to games 2 years ago) but I still watch them on TV and still get upset when they loose, but at the end of the day I'm pretty sure I'll be picking "a favorite" team come playoff time not named the Sabres.

In an ideal management world, wouldn't Darcy be consulted as to what he needs? In an even more ideal world, wouldn't he be going to management fighting for every last dollar? (And OSP and LQ have said that's precisely how it works. "If Darcy comes to us with a way of improving the team, we'll consider the request for more money."

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Darcy is more than happy to accept millions under the cap as his internal budget. He may have said after the season that the losing is the hardest thing, the thing that could eventually drive him out of the game, but I don't buy it. What this guy gets off on is fielding mediocre teams on the cheap, filling the seats anyway and maximizing profit for ownership. ###### the Cup. And ###### him retiring. He'll happily live out his life going .500 on the ice, as long as he bats 1.000 on the bottom line.

let me offer up an alternate here we can blame darcy/ lindy/ tom all we want but the simple fact of the matter is if fans stopped buying tickets to support this kind of behavior then A) they would have to change said behavior or b) they would move out of buffalo.

So really the question is would you rather have a team that might get lucky and make a run in the playoffs or have no team at all.

Personally I hate the fact that this team never "goes for it" (and that is why I stopped paying to go to games 2 years ago) but I still watch them on TV and still get upset when they loose, but at the end of the day I'm pretty sure I'll be picking "a favorite" team come playoff time not named the Sabres.

I think that's a false choice. Welcome to the board. Expect to be bopped over the head any minute now. And, with your handle, expect a steamy PM from chz. Who, by the way, is a retired steelworker from Lackawanna who just his big and little toes to diabetes.

This has been brought up before in "Who has better fans Buffalo or Tampa?", etc threads. And someone will show attendance numbers for both teams in good and bad times. But who would be the better fans, the ones that just buy tickets like sheep year after year because they are afraid of losing their team, or the ones that proactively do something about it and stop paying their money?

My question is why is it always up to us, the fans? PA is right. Where is the media in all this? Why aren't they turning the screws on this FO? It bothers me to no end when the onus (blame) is put on the fans for the failure of a club.

According to capgeek.com, with both teams having 22 players on their rosters, Buffalo is set to spend $9.4 million more than Phoenix.

In the eyes of the last 40 years, the Sabres are just as bad as the Maple Leafs, both have not won a Stanley Cup in that time frame. To infer that a Division title means anything is completely ridiculous, teams don't play for Division Titles, teams play for the STANLEY CUP!

Division titles MEAN NOTHING!

Kaleta - "Oh, hey mom, guess what, we won the division title this year."

Kaleta's Mom - "Thats nice dear, no Stanley Cup?"

Kaleta - "No mom, we got bounced in the first round."

DIALTONE..........................

I think you missed my point. I was not trying to say that we have won a cup, I know they haven't won a friggen cup yet. The point I was making is that I don't think it's going to be so unbearable to watch this team next year. For some reason ppl are posting as if we haven't made the playoffs in 10 years. The team is still decent to good in a conference and especially division that is below average. They'll make the playoffs and once again, anything can happen once you're there.

Interesting though. Darcy said that signing Kennedy would put the team over the projected budget. That is not the same as saying that the current budget is what the projected budget is. We're currently 6 mill under and the pre-season is not over.

Now who here was under the table that the FO were discussing around when they decided what the projected budget was for this season? Let that person be the only one to cast the first stone.

I think you missed my point. I was not trying to say that we have won a cup, I know they haven't won a friggen cup yet. The point I was making is that I don't think it's going to be so unbearable to watch this team next year. For some reason ppl are posting as if we haven't made the playoffs in 10 years. The team is still decent to good in a conference and especially division that is below average. They'll make the playoffs and once again, anything can happen once you're there.

No, I didn't miss the point. The team is my home town team, I am not stating they are unbearable to watch.

I am stating that the fans deserve better, the fans of this team deserve a Stanley Cup. Anything else and its just another season with nothing to speak of.

In all reality, my only problems with this team are (and in this order):

Darcy Regier

No RWer for Roy and Vanek

No PPQB

No Center to replace Connolly

No, I didn't miss the point. The team is my home town team, I am not stating they are unbearable to watch.

I am stating that the fans deserve better, the fans of this team deserve a Stanley Cup. Anything else and its just another season with nothing to speak of.

In all reality, my only problems with this team are (and in this order):

Darcy Regier

No RWer for Roy and Vanek

No PPQB

No Center to replace Connolly

I agree with you that these are our weaknesses. However, very few teams are absoluetly loaded. Almost every team has a few problems of some kind. I'll stop the debate, my point is that I'm still looking forward to the season and someone else (not you) posted that the season would be basically unbearable to watch and I'm actually pumped knowing that we have the former rookie of the year and vezina goaltender on our club.

I think that's a false choice. Welcome to the board. Expect to be bopped over the head any minute now. And, with your handle, expect a steamy PM from chz. Who, by the way, is a retired steelworker from Lackawanna who just his big and little toes to diabetes.

it my be a false choice but that is the team that the sabres have given me to root for. my "handle" is my first name and last Inital. Sorry to hear about Chz's diabetes.

This has been brought up before in "Who has better fans Buffalo or Tampa?", etc threads. And someone will show attendance numbers for both teams in good and bad times. But who would be the better fans, the ones that just buy tickets like sheep year after year because they are afraid of losing their team, or the ones that proactively do something about it and stop paying their money?

My question is why is it always up to us, the fans? PA is right. Where is the media in all this? Why aren't they turning the screws on this FO? It bothers me to no end when the onus (blame) is put on the fans for the failure of a club.

I'n not questioning the fans, I'm just saying the fan do have a say in this.....I 100% agree I wish the press would turn up the heat on this. but at the end of the day the only thing that is really going to effect things is money (and that the fans have SOME control over.

You're right about one thing: Darcy Regier gets his marching orders from Quinn and Golisano. They are more than happy to let him take all the heat for their decisions. Golisano is a businessman and he demands that the operation is run like a business and not a pet project. He is not all that interested in the Stanley Cup. I'm sure it would be nice for him, but he is not inspired by trophies. He is inspired by money. All Sabres fans are operating under the assumption that he is trying to win the Stanley Cup. He is trying to make money first and not lose money second. Period.

On the hockey side, this is just another example of the Sabres letting players go and getting nothing in return. The list is overwhelming and growing still.

However, Regier is right about one thing. Every team in the league had a chance to grab Kennedy for $1 million and they all passed. If he is so great then why did all the teams pass? He was offered as a trade to all the teams prior to be put on waivers and nobody wanted him. The league business climate has indeed changed.

I don't think that the loss of Kennedy is much of a loss. I liked the addition of Morrisonn. The team needs to get bigger and tougher.

If Ryan Miller had any illusions about the Sabres trying to win the Cup in Buffalo then he should talk to Dominic Hasek.

Archived