Now that the Sabres woke me up with this Kennedy fiasco...

LabattBlue

In all seriousness, I want to apologize for making a diabetes joke. It's not a fun, or funny, disease. I'm certain lots of people who read my post have diabetes or have a family member with it. Heck, my mom has lost toes to it recently, and since I've packed on some weight, I'm bordering on pre-diabetes. Sometimes humor is just a defense mechanism. Actually diabetes is funny when Wilford Brimley is talking about it, but that's for another thread.

In all seriousness, I want to apologize for making a diabetes joke. It's not a fun, or funny, disease. I'm certain lots of people who read my post have diabetes or have a family member with it. Heck, my mom has lost toes to it recently, and since I've packed on some weight, I'm bordering on pre-diabetes. Sometimes humor is just a defense mechanism. Actually diabetes is funny when Wilford Brimley is talking about it, but that's for another thread.

It's a good thing that you have Wilbur.

Dog chews off owner's toe

:blink:

Again, I wish we could establish a set of reasonable facts, so that people who want to form an opinion can do so based upon reality and not some feel good rant.

Can you explain to me and the rest of the fine posters here at SabreSpace what Darcy Regier has to do with setting any internal budget? I eagerly await your response.

Speaking of evading and changing the subject. Or as non-sequitor argument. This is about management within the internal budget. Most folks are pointing out both the hypocrisy of Darcy's claim of budgetary constraints and the fact that if he is indeed up against them with players such as Connolly, Stafford and Gaustad to name a few who has overpaid for and others who has let go for a lot less dollars with what appears to be just as much talent, then really it comes down to an issue of decision making.

It is Darcy's competence in decision making that everyone is questioning. His excuse that it is about dollars and cents no one in their right mind is buying. Hence why I think he should be fired as an incompetent boob and a very poor judge of talent.

:blink:

Again, I wish we could establish a set of reasonable facts, so that people who want to form an opinion can do so based upon reality and not some feel good rant.

Can you explain to me and the rest of the fine posters here at SabreSpace what Darcy Regier has to do with setting any internal budget? I eagerly await your response.

I agree to an extent that Darcy does not set the budget that he has to operate within, however he overpaid a number of players on this team who have no business earning what they do.

These salaries are ridiculous for the production they receive. Not one of these players deserve what they are getting paid.

Thomas Vanek LW 6,400,000

UFA

Jason Pominville RW 5,500,000

UFA

Tim Connolly C 4,500,000

UFA

Derek Roy C 4,000,000

UFA

Jochen Hecht LW 3,500,000

UFA

Paul Gaustad C 2,500,000

UFA

Drew Stafford

And thats why this team is in the predicament they are. These players got paid there money and cashed it in at Transit Valley..Darcy in my mind is more than responsible for the talent on this team..

You look at real goto players and they are making as much as Pominville..Hell Ryan Getzlaff makes the same..What was Darcy thinking?????

The only fact that you guys are trying to establish that matters is the one where Keneddy, after playing his heart out, gets royally shafted. I just canceled my season tickets..why in the world would anyone want to come to Buffalo and play for these guys. Ask to be traded thomas avoid the rush.

The only fact that you guys are trying to establish that matters is the one where Keneddy, after playing his heart out, gets royally shafted. I just canceled my season tickets..why in the world would anyone want to come to Buffalo and play for these guys. Ask to be traded thomas avoid the rush.

out of sheer curiosity, would love to see the stats on how many people cancelled their season tix after Kennedy got shown the door. do you feel you have made a point?

Thanks for correcting me on the salary spending of both the sabres and the coyotes Lanny. 9.4 million more spent by the sabres is peanuts when you consider the sabres have sold 10 times the season tickets. Again, I'm not 100% sure but on a sport radio show I heard they said that the coyotes had sold 1800 season tickets so far. Whether the host was joking or not I'm not sure but if true it is a joke. What isn't a joke is that the sabres can sell all their seasons tickets and still cry poor.

In an ideal management world, wouldn't Darcy be consulted as to what he needs? In an even more ideal world, wouldn't he be going to management fighting for every last dollar? (And OSP and LQ have said that's precisely how it works. "If Darcy comes to us with a way of improving the team, we'll consider the request for more money."

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Darcy is more than happy to accept millions under the cap as his internal budget. He may have said after the season that the losing is the hardest thing, the thing that could eventually drive him out of the game, but I don't buy it. What this guy gets off on is fielding mediocre teams on the cheap, filling the seats anyway and maximizing profit for ownership. ###### the Cup. And ###### him retiring. He'll happily live out his life going .500 on the ice, as long as he bats 1.000 on the bottom line.

Of course DR is consulted as to what he needs. I think everyone in the room still understands that the Sabres have budget limits, and DR isn't the one in the room with the final call on the number.

The 2nd paragraph is nonsense.

According to capgeek.com, with both teams having 22 players on their rosters, Buffalo is set to spend $9.4 million more than Phoenix.

No no -- don't let facts get in the way of a good paranoid, hysterical rant!

Speaking of evading and changing the subject. Or as non-sequitor argument. This is about management within the internal budget. Most folks are pointing out both the hypocrisy of Darcy's claim of budgetary constraints and the fact that if he is indeed up against them with players such as Connolly, Stafford and Gaustad to name a few who has overpaid for and others who has let go for a lot less dollars with what appears to be just as much talent, then really it comes down to an issue of decision making.

It is Darcy's competence in decision making that everyone is questioning. His excuse that it is about dollars and cents no one in their right mind is buying. Hence why I think he should be fired as an incompetent boob and a very poor judge of talent.

The bolded part is correct, IMHO, but why is this new? Of course a GM has to make the right decisions. If DR's decisions don't produce the right results, he should be gone. This decision, most likely, won't have much impact on the Sabres' results this year.

Really? You're a season ticket-holder and you canceled? Did you lose a deposit? Because of the decision on Kennedy?

Nfreeman, maybe he finally hit his breaking point after a multitude of bad decisions by Regier. For most people on this board that aren't Regier apologists and aren't content with the status quo cancelling season tickets might not be an emotional decision but one that is contemplated for a few seasons. The way Regier has handled this last fiasco among many could have been the tip of the iceburg.

Really? You're a season ticket-holder and you canceled? Did you lose a deposit? Because of the decision on Kennedy?

I don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if the Sabres would give someone their money back on season tickets at this point in the offseason.

There is one good thing about being that far under the cap. They have a playoff-quality team as it stands. At the trade deadline, they will be able, if they're having a great season, to add some firepower for the playoff push. That is, of course, if OSP approves of the move and DR can actually pull his head out of his own butt.

There is one good thing about being that far under the cap. They have a playoff-quality team as it stands. At the trade deadline, they will be able, if they're having a great season, to add some firepower for the playoff push. That is, of course, if OSP approves of the move and DR can actually pull his head out of his own butt.

This is not directed at you BuffalOhio, it is just frustrating when I see fans use the fact that the Sabres have a playoff team even if they stand pat. When 16 out of 30 teams make the playoffs, the playoffs should be a given for this franchise. Especially with Miller in goal. The bar is and always should be the Stanley Cup Finals when it comes to success. They certainly have the goaltending to get there which makes them not going out and improving any other area frustrating.

As for the second point in bold text, I wonder if the Sabres would be sellers at the deadline. I wonder if Rivet and Connolly will be dealt at the deadline or allowed to walk after the season.

This is not directed at you BuffalOhio, it is just frustrating when I see fans use the fact that the Sabres have a playoff team even if they stand pat. When 16 out of 30 teams make the playoffs, the playoffs should be a given for this franchise. Especially with Miller in goal. The bar is and always should be the Stanley Cup Finals when it comes to success. They certainly have the goaltending to get there which makes them not going out and improving any other area frustrating.

As for the second point in bold text, I wonder if the Sabres would be sellers at the deadline. I wonder if Rivet and Connolly will be dealt at the deadline or allowed to walk after the season.

Whichever it is, I'm absolutely fine with either leaving!

Nfreeman, maybe he finally hit his breaking point after a multitude of bad decisions by Regier. For most people on this board that aren't Regier apologists and aren't content with the status quo cancelling season tickets might not be an emotional decision but one that is contemplated for a few seasons. The way Regier has handled this last fiasco among many could have been the tip of the iceburg.

Good call.

I don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if the Sabres would give someone their money back on season tickets at this point in the offseason.

This is what I was thinking. Was he so PO'd about this (as well as other previous bonehead moves) that he actually walked away from a deposit? If so, how much?

No worries, Doc.

I was implying that they think they can make the playoffs with the team they have, and save a lot of money during the season. Then, if they feel like the can go all the way by adding a player of two for the rest of the season, it would be worth it to spend the money and obtain that player at the deadline. Yes, I'd like to see them START the season with THAT player on the roster, but let's get real here. Yes, it's frustrating to me, too.

Archived