Darcy on WGR

nobody

Been lurking here forever, but had to let you know that while you and Darcy were sleeping Gonchar went to the Senators. 3yr 16.5mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5345838

Bye bye now, back to lurk in the shadows.

Gonchar went to the sens in the middle of the day you halfwit. Go back to lurking if you're going to suck this hard at posting.

Now I hate all this internet speak, but I can't help but say "lol at you". Put this post in the Hall of Fame right now. This one is pure gold.

Because it happened sometime after 12:00pm EST and before the sun went down. According to...everyone in the NHL media.

I can narrow it to between 12:00pm EST and 3:52pm EST. Keep looking and we can probably narrow it even more.

Not to mention:

Sergei Gonchar couldn't get a deal done to stay in Pittsburgh, but one minute after the market opened Thursday he got an offer he couldn't refuse from the Ottawa Senators.

--

"We made the call right at 12:01 and basically made a proposal and they obviously accepted it," Murray said.

Just another bull$hit excuse. Regier already admitted he attempted to sign a couple of forwards and couldn't get the job done. If there is another player that he wanted to sign how in the ###### does he go to bed with a contract agreed on?

I assume he meant that he talked to guys who wound up signing somewhere else, so there is nothing that can be worked out anymore with those guys. Anyway, when it comes to other players, it's crazy to think that all these free agents are awake 24/7 until they finally find a deal. They and the GMs are all human and they all went to sleep last night. More players will sign with teams while passing on other teams and it has absolutely nothing to do with how much or how little sleep anyone got last night.

The things people complain about on this board regularly reach the point of absurdity, but this one may have reached a new high.

I assume he meant that he talked to guys who wound up signing somewhere else, so there is nothing that can be worked out anymore with those guys. Anyway, when it comes to other players, it's crazy to think that all these free agents are awake 24/7 until they finally find a deal. They and the GMs are all human and they all went to sleep last night. More players will sign with teams while passing on other teams and it has absolutely nothing to do with how much or how little sleep anyone got last night.

The things people complain about on this board regularly reach the point of absurdity, but this one may have reached a new high.

You have no problem with Darcy saying there could be more signings that evening, while holding a press conference? How long into the evening did activity continue?

Seriously, you must be on LQ's Christmas list. The shraders of the world put him, and keep him, where he is.

You know what else has reached an all-time high?

Fan complacency.

Gonchar went to the sens in the middle of the day you halfwit. Go back to lurking if you're going to suck this hard at posting.

The ESPN story is stamped 12:05 a.m., so I can see why there could be some confusion.

How kind of you to welcome a new poster so graciously. Don't want no dissent here. Gotta maintain the purity of the SabreSpace gene pool. No outsiders! We keep it in the family.

You have no problem with Darcy saying there could be more signings that evening, while holding a press conference? How long into the evening did activity continue?

Seriously, you must be on LQ's Christmas list. The shraders of the world put him, and keep him, where he is.

If he was the only GM holding a press conference, maybe, but there were plenty of those yesterday. People seem to get the impression that contract negotiations are something that go on endlessly until the moment a deal is reached. It just doesn't work that way.

The only thing absurd is the constant stream of excuses coming from your keyboard. First of all Regier is not talking to the actual players he is talking to the agents. Who, without first had knowledge, I can pretty much guarantee were not in their jammies drinking cocoa by 7 PM like Regier was. I'm sure Brian Burke was home and watching CSI, NOT. Regier goes about his job with no sense of urgency and it shows in the results. He has a team with countless holes to fill and all he can muster is a mid-level free agent that he ended up overpaying for. Is Leopold better than Tallinder and Lydman? Yes he is. Does he make the Sabres significantly better? No he doesn't. We have the only 9-5 GM in the NHL. It's why nothing will get done and the much needed changes will never happen.

If he was the only GM holding a press conference, maybe, but there were plenty of those yesterday. People seem to get the impression that contract negotiations are something that go on endlessly until the moment a deal is reached. It just doesn't work that way.

The way it is supposed to work isn't working for Regier. Maybe some more effort would garner greater results. Players where signed right off the bat yesterday. New Jersey didn't tell Volchenkov "let's sleep on it", they got a deal done. Pittsburgh did a great job signing defensemen, they didn't tell the agents "we'll wrap this up tomorrow." It's about getting the job done and Regier just doesn't get it done.

The only thing absurd is the constant stream of excuses coming from your keyboard. First of all Regier is not talking to the actual players he is talking to the agents. Who, without first had knowledge, I can pretty much guarantee were not in their jammies drinking cocoa by 7 PM like Regier was. I'm sure Brian Burke was home and watching CSI, NOT. Regier goes about his job with no sense of urgency and it shows in the results. He has a team with countless holes to fill and all he can muster is a mid-level free agent that he ended up overpaying for. Is Leopold better than Tallinder and Lydman? Yes he is. Does he make the Sabres significantly better? No he doesn't. We have the only 9-5 GM in the NHL. It's why nothing will get done and the much needed changes will never happen.

And when does the season start? What day is it today?

Just another bull$hit excuse. Regier already admitted he attempted to sign a couple of forwards and couldn't get the job done. If there is another player that he wanted to sign how in the ###### does he go to bed with a contract agreed on?

This is pretty lame. He said he made offers to a couple of forwards who signed elsewhere. While it's possible that they signed elsewhere because DR was sitting around with his thumb in his butt, it's much more likely that they signed for more than DR was willing to commit to, or because the money was about even and the players preferred the other cities/franchises/teammates/other.

Overpaying for UFAs is not "getting the job done." Building a winning team is "getting the job done." That means making the right decisions about how much to pay each guy and for how long.

Guest Sloth

I am finally beginning to reach my cracking point with Darcy. I truly expected him to do something out of character yesterday by making a MAJOR move to acquire one of the top defenseman in the NHL and/or a TRUE first line center to setup Vanek. Darcy may have made an attempt, but he most likely did not try to pull something drastic. Rick Dudley, former Sabre, of the Atlanta Thrashers has doen A LOT to improve that team. Darcy has done little outside of his own system. It's as if he is content with developing players w/in the system, and signing average to slightly above average free agents. Darcy needs to learn there are times when you need to depart with players you groomed. I would not mind seeing players like Pomminstein and/or draft picks being involved with some type of trade, in order to create cap space to sign one of the better players in the NHL. I'm on the verge of saying it's time for Darcy to go. The guy has SLOWLY disassembled the 06/07 Sabres, and has done little to improve the team. I'm a very disappointed fan, and I have the smallest hope Darcy will pull off something jaw dropping today, but I do not expect anything legitimate to happen. Just glad it's Friday...

It started yesterday. Just like Regier you are clueless to what a important tool free agency can be.

Becuase I just happen to realize that free agency takes place over more than just the period of one day? Ok, I guess I am clueless.

This is pretty lame. He said he made offers to a couple of forwards who signed elsewhere. While it's possible that they signed elsewhere because DR was sitting around with his thumb in his butt, it's much more likely that they signed for more than DR was willing to commit to, or because the money was about even and the players preferred the other cities/franchises/teammates/other.

Overpaying for UFAs is not "getting the job done." Building a winning team is "getting the job done." That means making the right decisions about how much to pay each guy and for how long.

Which Regier has failed miserably at.

Which Regier has failed miserably at.

While we are in disagreement about how much needs to be done, I agree with this. On the whole point of Tallinder and Lydman he pretty much admitted that the cap going up increased their value which can be interpreted as I guess the price they asked for wasn't out of line. Another case of this organization mis-reading the market.

Also, why did none of our esteemed media ask Darcy why he didn't want to give 3 years to Lydman becaus eof all of our prospects and yet gave 3 yeas to Leopold. To me this signing was just another knee jerk reaction.

While we are in disagreement about how much needs to be done, I agree with this. On the whole point of Tallinder and Lydman he pretty much admitted that the cap going up increased their value which can be interpreted as I guess the price they asked for wasn't out of line. Another case of this organization mis-reading the market.

Also, why did none of our esteemed media ask Darcy why he didn't want to give 3 years to Lydman becaus eof all of our prospects and yet gave 3 yeas to Leopold. To me this signing was just another knee jerk reaction.

I truly believe that Darcy expected Lydman to be a Sabre and Leopold was a panic move. Regier again was not prepared for what the day was going to bring. I just can't get over the fact that NJ is paying Volchenkov $4.25 and the Sabres will be paying Leopold $3 mill and Rivet $3.5 mil. For a team that preaches fiscal responsibility they are really bad it.

I truly believe that Darcy expected Lydman to be a Sabre and Leopold was a panic move. Regier again was not prepared for what the day was going to bring. I just can't get over the fact that NJ is paying Volchenkov $4.25 and the Sabres will be paying Leopold $3 mill and Rivet $3.5 mil. For a team that preaches fiscal responsibility they are really bad it.

They had studied Leopold late last year and had them on their radar for FA. Leopold's agent had looked at a number of teams where he might fit and Sabres were one of them. By the time they could talk on July 1 both sides were well informed about the other and they made a deal. Hardly knee jerk.

They had studied Leopold late last year and had them on their radar for FA. Leopold's agent had looked at a number of teams where he might fit and Sabres were one of them. By the time they could talk on July 1 both sides were well informed about the other and they made a deal. Hardly knee jerk.

While I believe it was a reactionery move, let me be clear. Darcy is a very smart hockey man and very good at the administration and research aspects of the job. Off course they study guys like Leopold and others. That doesn't mean that it wasn't a reactionery move. I truly believe that there plan was to bring Lydman back and sign a Paul Martin type player. The fact that they didn't doesn;t speak to their desire but rather to their ability. He cannot sell people on why they should want to come here. In my humble opinion his two greatest faults are understanding the marketplace and the fine art of persuasion.

I think Darcy's real goal is to rid the team of non-North Americans. Get rid of a Swede and a Finn and bring in an American. I suspect Hecht, Vanek, and Sekera are the next to go. We've already stopped drafting Europeans & Russians. :D :D

Tough to disagree.

However, it's obvious to me that a guy like Volchenkov would never sign for the Sabres at 4.25. I feel convinced he'd take at least 5 for coming here, and would happily take a 750.000 discount in order to play for a club that's repeatedly shown they're committed to winning.

At this point, why would anyone other than guys like Leopold ever want to come play for the Sabres? They only thing this team has a history of, is never firing anyone and letting their stars go for free.

No job has gotten done. Sorry.

Archived