Darcy on WGR

nobody

Reading the unofficial biography of Gordie Howe this week, Gordie, and I came across a piece I thought many of you would like to read discussing former Wings coach Jack Adams and his methods for managing players season to season.

"In the 1946-47 season, Adams was rebuilding the Red Wings, moulding a team with the legs and the spirit of youth around a small nucleus of veterans. He always sought a judicious balance of experience and inexperience; his maxim was to juggle his line-up every season, even after winning a Stanley Cup.

Adams liked to say he'd learned the hard way about the necessity of doing this: after winning the Cup twice in the 1930s, he'd kept his team intact, and it had immediately fallen to last place. "I decided," he later declared, "we'd never stand pat again.""

If this doesn't sound like exactly what Chicago is doing then I don't know what does. It also sounds like the exact opposite of what Darcy has done over the last few years.

Reading the unofficial biography of Gordie Howe this week, Gordie, and I came across a piece I thought many of you would like to read discussing former Wings coach Jack Adams and his methods for managing players season to season.

"In the 1946-47 season, Adams was rebuilding the Red Wings, moulding a team with the legs and the spirit of youth around a small nucleus of veterans. He always sought a judicious balance of experience and inexperience; his maxim was to juggle his line-up every season, even after winning a Stanley Cup.

Adams liked to say he'd learned the hard way about the necessity of doing this: after winning the Cup twice in the 1930s, he'd kept his team intact, and it had immediately fallen to last place. "I decided," he later declared, "we'd never stand pat again.""

If this doesn't sound like exactly what Chicago is doing then I don't know what does. It also sounds like the exact opposite of what Darcy has done over the last few years.

To be fair, Chicago doesn't have much of a choice, they couldn't bring last years team back under the cap, so changes had to be made. its not as if they just decided to shake up the lineup for fun

To be fair, Chicago doesn't have much of a choice, they couldn't bring last years team back under the cap, so changes had to be made. its not as if they just decided to shake up the lineup for fun

And they've dropped, what, two guys from that lineup? No matter what they do, their core of Toews-Kane-Keith-Seabrook won't be going anywhere any time soon.

Right, but you're missing the point. These changes that Chicago is making are healthy for the team. Yes there are players leaving that I'm sure they would like to keep, but inserting fresh blood into a lineup of Stanley Cup champs can be a good thing. You can own a really fast car and win a lot of races, but if you don't change the oil it'll break down.

The Darcy Regier era presents us with a management principle of trying to keep everyone. This method has in turn cost us our veteran players and prevented our young players from flourishing. We've seen a number of promising players come to this team a fizzle out, particularly guys like goose, pommers and stafford.

Darcy has made changes, but his philosophy is damaged by his attachment to players.

Right, but you're missing the point. These changes that Chicago is making are healthy for the team. Yes there are players leaving that I'm sure they would like to keep, but inserting fresh blood into a lineup of Stanley Cup champs can be a good thing. You can own a really fast car and win a lot of races, but if you don't change the oil it'll break down.

The Darcy Regier era presents us with a management principle of trying to keep everyone. This method has in turn cost us our veteran players and prevented our young players from flourishing. We've seen a number of promising players come to this team a fizzle out, particularly guys like goose, pommers and stafford.

Darcy has made changes, but his philosophy is damaged by his attachment to players.

But guess where those new bodies are going to come from, other than that worthless pile that is Marty Reasoner? It's going to come from within at Rockford in the form of guys like Jack Skille.

The Darcy Regier era presents us with a management principle of trying to keep everyone.

I didn't check - Darcy usually doesn't flat out lie; he just doesn't tell the whole truth - but he told Schopp and the Bulldog that they "turn" the roster every three or four years. That is, they make 20-22 player changes (often then same roster spot several times, but that's not the point) every three to four years. We'll get a new backup, a couple of new defenseman (one being a new #7), a few different role-playing forwards, etc. Do that every year and the roster will, indeed, turn every three or four years.

I always thought the team's problems were because certain players (SGMs) were too attached to each other. :lol:

Seriously, folk....I've been this way all my natural life.

Listening to Darcy today was really depressing. To paraphrase; we lost two D,.. we got one and another will come up from the system,.. that is all,.. Ladies and Gentleman, your 2010-11 BUFFALO SABRES!!!!!!

I don't see him doing another thing this summer.

Listening to Darcy today was really depressing. To paraphrase; we lost to D,.. we got one and another will come up from the system,.. that is all,.. Ladies and Gentleman, your 2010-11 BUFFALO SABRES!!!!!!

I don't see him doing another thing this summer.

He's awesome.

:unsure:

Regier said a few times "we'll talk to them again tomorrow." WTF! Is he going home for the day? Is he hourly? Does he punch a card when he comes and goes to work? Is there a new rule where free agency is only from 12:00 noon to 5:00 PM? How about working through the night and getting a deal done if there are players out there you want to sign? :wallbash:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Darcy

But what I am saying is that you can't go out and say that Chicago would be making these kind of moves this offseason because its part of their plan to get in "Fresh Blood". This is something that they HAD TO DO. No one knows what kind of moves they would be making after winning the cup if they didn't have to dump salary. How many other teams coming off of a SC win started dealing away some of the key players in their playoff run just because they wanted a change?

Please Darcy... do something with the forwards. And I don't mean re-sign Ellis or McCormick. We need some new blood up front.

They do need new blood up front, but its not new blood on the 3rd and 4th line thats needed. I have no problem with Ellis and McCormick coming back, they earned the money they make and know their roles on the 3rd/4th lines. its the guys ahead of them that need to be swapped for new blood, otherwise all will remain the same.

I don't get the need for fans to want to see guys like Mair, Ellis and McCormick moved. its not like they are going to get some superstar to come in and take their place, and its not like they hurt the team, they were worth the money payed to them and they fit the role they were here for, 3rd/4th liners.

I don't get the need for fans to want to see guys like Mair, Ellis and McCormick moved. its not like they are going to get some superstar to come in and take their place, and its not like they hurt the team, they were worth the money payed to them and they fit the role they were here for, 3rd/4th liners.

I thought Darcy was trying to sign Kovalchuk for the 3rd line. :)

People don't want to admit it, but a "MAJOR" character change is needed in the top 2 lines of this team.

I am not happy at all with the Right Wing position for Roy and Vanek, and don't kid yourself, Ennis isn't the answer. A player like Horton was a good potential and there are others as well. Stafford isn't cutting it, period.

I also have some very serious concerns with line 2. Connolly, although gathered points, is way to soft and inconsistant to depend on at Center. Hecht, although another player with a career surge last season can be replaced by Ennis.

We need a Center for Line 2 with some skill and size.

Line 3 is a mess. GOOSE IS NOT A LINE 3 CENTER, NEVER HAS BEEN.

Right Wing looks like Grier (great leader and character player)and Left Wing looks like Kennedy. Just need that center (Lombardi?)

Then their is line 4. Goose centering Kaleta and ? (McCormick is my choice for the ?)

Backup goalie? Can anyone say Patty Lalime for another season while Enroth prepares himself.

Regier said a few times "we'll talk to them again tomorrow." WTF! Is he going home for the day? Is he hourly? Does he punch a card when he comes and goes to work? Is there a new rule where free agency is only from 12:00 noon to 5:00 PM? How about working through the night and getting a deal done if there are players out there you want to sign? :wallbash:

I know it's crazy, but not only does Darcy sleep at night, but so do the free agents. No one will be signed over night here or in any other market in the NHL.

I know it's crazy, but not only does Darcy sleep at night, but so do the free agents. No one will be signed over night here or in any other market in the NHL.

Been lurking here forever, but had to let you know that while you and Darcy were sleeping Gonchar went to the Senators. 3yr 16.5mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5345838

Bye bye now, back to lurk in the shadows.

Been lurking here forever, but had to let you know that while you and Darcy were sleeping Gonchar went to the Senators. 3yr 16.5mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5345838

Bye bye now, back to lurk in the shadows.

Gonchar went to the sens in the middle of the day you halfwit. Go back to lurking if you're going to suck this hard at posting.

People don't want to admit it, but a "MAJOR" character change is needed in the top 2 lines of this team.

I am not happy at all with the Right Wing position for Roy and Vanek, and don't kid yourself, Ennis isn't the answer. A player like Horton was a good potential and there are others as well. Stafford isn't cutting it, period.

I also have some very serious concerns with line 2. Connolly, although gathered points, is way to soft and inconsistant to depend on at Center. Hecht, although another player with a career surge last season can be replaced by Ennis.

We need a Center for Line 2 with some skill and size.

Line 3 is a mess. GOOSE IS NOT A LINE 3 CENTER, NEVER HAS BEEN.

Right Wing looks like Grier (great leader and character player)and Left Wing looks like Kennedy. Just need that center (Lombardi?)

Then their is line 4. Goose centering Kaleta and ? (McCormick is my choice for the ?)

Backup goalie? Can anyone say Patty Lalime for another season while Enroth prepares himself.

Who doesn't want to admit this? I think most here want to see big changes at the forward position.

They do need new blood up front, but its not new blood on the 3rd and 4th line thats needed. I have no problem with Ellis and McCormick coming back, they earned the money they make and know their roles on the 3rd/4th lines. its the guys ahead of them that need to be swapped for new blood, otherwise all will remain the same.

You misunderstood me, or actually I wasn't clear enough in my post. I'm perfectly OK with getting an Ellis or McCormick. I like those guys and they server their role well. I just meant I hope that's not all Darcy does and when I said they needed new blood up front I was referring to lines 1 and 2.

Just another bull$hit excuse. Regier already admitted he attempted to sign a couple of forwards and couldn't get the job done. If there is another player that he wanted to sign how in the ###### does he go to bed with a contract agreed on?

Archived