GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

So, will this team of invertebrates actually do anything to get even with the slash on Vanek that has taken him out for 2.5 games and pretty much cost Buffalo the playoffs? Someone needs to answer that BS if the NHL can't.

In a lot of ways, I agree with every single thing that you say here. I know you don't hear that too often, and I can't really believe that I am saying it, but I think you are right.

The thing is, that I really don't see anyone on the Boston roster that jumps out to me as someone that scares me when he gets the puck. I think their makeup, without Savard, is a lot like our team, except they all have balls.

Fixed it.

Hamilton says Ruff takes the blame for the too many men penalty; doesn't blame Stafford.

Ruff has just not been sharp behind the bench. How many mistakes now has he admitted to?

I don't view it so much of a mistake of Lindy's as an absurd habit of taking responsibility for something that should fall to the player -- stop protecting them and call someone out when they mess up! I agree that the penalites were total BS and changed the momentum of the game, but when Lindy falls into that trap too he is giving the guys a reason to feel sorry for themselves, and that won't do at all.

Sad. Anyone keeping track of the excuses? Injuries, top players out of shape, power play WON'T score, officiating... I'm sure we'll hear about how young the Sabres are eventually, and they got served tainted Boston baked beans for lunch.

DId you expect him to blame his players at this ponit of the season?

I still can't find myself overwhelmingly frustrated like most of you...i am not trying to make excuses to maintain the status quo, but Rask has been great in net and the Bruins were one of the best teams in the East last year, so it is like like we are losing to a bad team...

we are missing that go-to guy...we are also missing a guy like lucic and boychuck to get nasty.

maybe i will be ready to blame when the series is over, but i thought they played very hard the past two games of this seris, both games oculd have gone either way, and if they win just one of them, the conversation is totally different tonight...

good night all.

In double OT - that is what happens. People get tired. It's not an excuse - it's reality.

don't try to bring reality to this board. it's a losing effort.

3 thought lines rule this board (and TBD for that matter) no matter what the situation:

1) Bring in "X" on a trade for "fill in most worthless Sabre/Bill" even up.

2) Fire everybody because THAT will make it better (see: Buffalo Bills every 3 years)

3) Don't buy tickets and "show" management that you won't take it anymore.

In a game faster than ANY of us ever played/will play in our "best of shape" days of pick up, league, and HS Hockey, things happen. Especially in the 2nd OT of an NHL playoff game. Think about how tired you are after a normal day of any of the above. Or even how tired you are after a normal day of life. Because a player is a professional they are immune to fatigue? Tonight most Sabres played tough. They lost to a better playoff team. How many rookies played tonight? 4? ###### happens, man. Even if they got out of the Bruins series, were the Sabres to get out of the East? Of course not.

Just do me a favor, when posting the "trade, Fire, and protest" posts please remember that just because we are all from Buffalo and love it, it doesn't mean that free agents, big name coaches, and anyone else in a position to refuse a posting in Buffalo should come. Everyone gets pissed when people diss Buffalo but for anyone on this thread that has traveled or moved from Buffalo understands that it is a really small market. A great market for those of us in the know but not to others. Things aren't going to get better. Buy tickets. Buy merchandise. Support the teams. Bitch all you want in message boards because it's fun but be realistic; it is what it is and don't expect it to change. Remember "the now" because in 10 years it is going to be a completely different picture.

Flame away. :nana:

Don't expect a major overhaul. The last time the Sabres front office made a bold move was when they picked up Chris Drury. That was 2003. Regier doesn't make big trades. I doubt he's going to part with Roy, Pominville, or Connolly.

If you can count on anything, count on them blaming injuries for this series. Everything was going great until Vanek got hurt, right? And it's not like Boston had any injuries to deal with, right?

We traded that second round pick, actually.

If Darcys job is spared in the offseason, which its about 150% likely it will be, I don't expect any overhaul, probably just a couple more "scrap heap/bargain bin" veteran FA signings, and maybe taking a chance on a young kid with "potential" who hasn't lived up to it

Boston had injuries to deal with too, all teams do, but they entered the playoffs and this series with those ones so they were prepared to play on without them. Losing Vanek is huge, but its not an excuse, just reality. The problem has been that the top guys (except for Vanek who looked good in game 1) have been invisible all series, and the only guys producing are the rookies and the 3rd/4th liners.

Is that the pick that they traded to get Torres? Cause that makes it even better :rolleyes:

Read message boards and and listen to their sports talk radio. I have over the years because I am a Red Sox fan. They don't have the same level of tolerance that so many here have. It may be a unfair comparison since they have won a Championship in every major sport. That shouldn't make a difference to fans.

No GM worth anything would ever listen to "sports talk radio" or message boards. They win because they are in a big city and have better resources than teams here have and they take advantage of that...

I don't know what happened to Connolly...against the Sens in the playoffs before he got hurt he was bordering on superstar status...pretty much singlehandedly willing the Sabres to victory in the first game...the injuries just seemed to take the will out of him to play like he needs to in the playoffs...

Looks to me like he plays scared. That and the fact that he's completely useless one any physical contact is applied.

I understand your point, but the game winner came off the stick of Miro Satan... which really defeats your point.

Everyone clamors for leadership, when what they are really wanting is top shelf talent. That is what this team lacks and has for a long time. We have good talent overall, but we lack the top tier. The guys that exhaust the other team, so even when they don't score - someone else has a better opportunity.

This series may have me believing in the offensive failures if Ruff. Goals scored or not, an offensively poor Boston team sure does put itself in better areas of the ice than us. Size has a little to do with it, but quite frankly - their movements are MUCH more conducive to better production than ours.

If you are saying the Sabres have depth just not a legit top 6 I agree 100%. I stated for a long time that this is lacking top tier talent and that players were elevated beyond their station.

I've always been a Satan fan. He carried this team for years on his back as the only offensive force on the roster. His 40 goal season may be the single greatest offensive performance in Sabres history considering the garbage he had to skate with. No other Bruin deserved to score the goal more.

This series may have me believing in the offensive failures if Ruff. Goals scored or not, an offensively poor Boston team sure does put itself in better areas of the ice than us. Size has a little to do with it, but quite frankly - their movements are MUCH more conducive to better production than ours.

I think ruff has been trying to much to mastermind and micromanage the lines to the point of inefficiency. PP is off, passing is off, the PK is off. I will have to be reminded of the teams policies for medical clearance, seems like every scratch is 7-10 days until further notice for the last 5 years.

No GM worth anything would ever listen to "sports talk radio" or message boards. They win because they are in a big city and have better resources than teams here have and they take advantage of that...

In two leagues that have salary caps? Try another excuse. :thumbdown:

The team has given Miller leads, several two-goal leads, throughout the series. I hate that Miller's atrocious second goal is going to get glossed over.

I'll take the bait ...

Miller was terrific. The team generally played well, it was a heck of a game to watch, but we didn't get anything special from any of our (alleged) offensive talent. Not a peep. That, coupled with a few ticky-tack calls, adds up to a double-overtime loss.

Big players make big plays in big games. Miller did his part. Others, not so much.

watching tonights game you would think that ennis, mccormick, and mair was our #1 line. Yes, thats right, 2 portland call-ups and a guy who cleared waivers was our top line tonight. Heck, i even noticed the kaleta, kennedy, and torres line more often than roy connoly and pominville, our 3 'stars'. Pathetic performance from them tonight...I honestly hardly remember a time seeing roy on the ice, and the same basically goes for connolly. Unbelievable, where is the heart boys?

That's as tough and as good as they can play. (Except YOU Stafford - GET OFF MY TEAM Pretty Boy!). Unfortunately, it's not good enough for the playoffs. This team is not built for toughness, determination, meanness, or grit. It's not good enough. What a shame to waste Miller's ridiculous performance. Good night now!

I'll take the bait ...

Miller was terrific. The team generally played well, it was a heck of a game to watch, but we didn't get anything special from any of our (alleged) offensive talent. Not a peep. That, coupled with a few ticky-tack calls, adds up to a double-overtime loss.

Big players make big plays in big games. Miller did his part. Others, not so much.

He's been handed two freakin' 2-0 leads and lost both games. It's all about results. Of course he made big saves. One thought has nothing to do with the other.

Too many passengers on this team who don't want to go the extra mile come playoff time. No need to name names. I know they are still alive, but it doesn't appear the season will last much longer. :(

To me this is the Roy, Pominville, Vanek "in their prime era". They will not be remembered as winners in my book.

watching tonights game you would think that ennis, mccormick, and mair was our #1 line. Yes, thats right, 2 portland call-ups and a guy who cleared waivers was our top line tonight. Heck, i even noticed the kaleta, kennedy, and torres line more often than roy connoly and pominville, our 3 'stars'. Pathetic performance from them tonight...I honestly hardly remember a time seeing roy on the ice, and the same basically goes for connolly. Unbelievable, where is the heart boys?

You do realize that Boston puts different guys on the ice when they are out - right?

The reason is implied, isn't it?

I'm willing to put some of it on Lindy, but I wonder too how much of it is him trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip. The coach can have the best system on the planet, but if your players are unwilling or unable to buy-in, what good will it do?

Edit: Why couldn't my 100th post be a happier topic?

So? Their message boards have angry people? You think this matters to the people running the teams?

Did the Ducks win the Stanley Cup because of all their insane fans in Anaheim? Is that why the Hurricanes won too? Angrier fans?

No. I live in NC and the canes are actually a very exciting team to watch because they can never be counted out, they score when they need too. (something the Sabres lack) The Ducks won cause they obliterated everyone in their path. (something these Sabres could never do) To be honest both of those teams are examples of the Sabres are lacking. (although the Sabres should have won the cup back in '06 if the Hurricanes hadnt killed our defense)

In two leagues that have salary caps? Try another excuse. :thumbdown:

The Patriots won because they accidentally drafted a Hall of Fame quarterback in the sixth round of the NFL draft about 10 years ago.

The Red Sox won because they have a ton of money and a really smart young GM named Theo Epstein.

The Celtics and Bruins are both well-run teams, and can attract free agents because it's a huge market with plenty of additional opportunities to make money by way of endorsements, etc.

The fans....have NOTHING to do with how good those teams are. I know they're loud mouths and like to think that that success is somehow a sign of Boston's superior intellect as a city, but really it has nothing to do with it. If intense, angry fans who "don't take it" resulted in teams winning championships, then Philadelphia would have a dynasty in every sport right now. And the Mets would be as good as the Yankees. And the Rangers and Knicks would both be awesome.

Conversely, Anaheim wouldn't have baseball AND hockey championships in the last 10 years. The Marlins would not have two World Series wins. The Canes and Lightning wouldn't have won the Cup. It goes on and on.

Archived