GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I think it's Ruff's defense-first system that squashes individual player creativity.....Afinigenov leaves and had a pretty good season in Atlanta and Paille looks better in Boston.

I agree to a point. Paille seems to play much more physical since he's been in Boston. He never used his size in Buffalo, why is that? Mancari is another one. Once he gets the call to Buffalo, he forgets to bring his spine with him.

Why get rid of Ruff? he is oe of the better coaches out there, who do you get to replace him thats an improvement? He can only do so much with the mediocre crap he's given by Regier, who is the most overrated, useless GM in the league. Every year its the same crap from them, they have a young team with a good core that will only get better with time. Roy, Pomminstein, Connolly, all are not 1st line players that will carry a team. A major overhaul infront of Miller is needed, or else just do the guy a favor and thank him for his time here and move him to a team that actually tries to win.

Don't expect a major overhaul. The last time the Sabres front office made a bold move was when they picked up Chris Drury. That was 2003. Regier doesn't make big trades. I doubt he's going to part with Roy, Pominville, or Connolly.

If you can count on anything, count on them blaming injuries for this series. Everything was going great until Vanek got hurt, right? And it's not like Boston had any injuries to deal with, right?

What I really want to know is, WHAT DID THE CITY OF BOSTON/STATE OS MASSACHUSITS DO TO DESERVE ALL THIS? Seriously, The Pats, Red Sox, Celtics. The Bruins deal Raycroft to the Leafs for some prospects, and the end up with Rask. They trade away Kessell and in a year they make the playoffs they also get the second overall pick in the draft, plus another 1st and 2nd. Buffalo gets rid of Briere, Drury and Campbell and the only thing they have to show for it is Tyler Ennis, Brayden McNabb, and a 2nd this year

We traded that second round pick, actually.

And then he will be re-signed by Regier for a nice raise

Cut Grier some Slack, he played hard all game, along with Ennis. He was logging over 30 minutes in the game. Lets direct the blame where it belongs, the great "top 6" disappearing act known in parts as Roy, Pomminstein, Connolly, Stafford, and the useless (as usual) trade deadline signing of Torres.

Blame Miller all you want on that second goal, but you can't expect a goalie to save everything, which is what the rest of this team needs in order to win. Even the greats Hasek, Brodeur, Roy, etc make mistakes in a game.

The team has given Miller leads, several two-goal leads, throughout the series. I hate that Miller's atrocious second goal is going to get glossed over.

Well it was a heck of an effort by everyone tonight. However, effort alone doesn't get it done. When your top line players are consistently being muscled off the puck and manhandled, it's time to get some new top line players. I know I'm not the only one who thought that resigning Connolly wasn't a good idea and hindsight is obviously 20/20. But folks, we knew that this is the way he performed in big moments, the disappearing act is getting old. Now we're on the hook for another year. The series isn't over. Playing in Buffalo after a draining game like this with travel included is definitely an advantage for Buffalo. However, at a certain point it's time to admit that the "core" is too small and too carefree to become a significant team in the playoffs.

I don't know what happened to Connolly...against the Sens in the playoffs before he got hurt he was bordering on superstar status...pretty much singlehandedly willing the Sabres to victory in the first game...the injuries just seemed to take the will out of him to play like he needs to in the playoffs...

Their fans don't bend over and take it like Sabres and Bills fans do? Bruins fans don't applaud their GM for doing nothing like so many here do. Pats fans wouldn't accept Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey. When you accept mediocrity you should expect nothing else in return.

How do they not "take it"? What do their fans actually do to spur their front offices into building better teams? Be specific.

The team has given Miller leads, several two-goal leads, throughout the series. I hate that Miller's atrocious second goal is going to get glossed over.

It shouldn't, but then you have to bring up the ones he has no business saving.

I can't argue there. But what PTR said is absurd.

He's not 100% accurate. Their is some truth in what he is implying. I want to explain this well because I know I will get drilled if I don't. Frustration is clouding my mind right now.

This team, mentally and physically, will only allow it's self to go so far. Boston won the game tonight because the Sabres don't have a player on the bench that was capable of winning the game for the Sabres. They have players with the talent but not that something that allows them to bury the chances they had. You can call it "choking" or anything else, it's not always a reflection of effort.

What an exciting game to watch. I was figuratively on the edge of my seat for the last half of the second period ... let alone the 3rd period and overtimes. The game seemed sloppy at times and not polished.

Great end-to-end action in the first OT. CBC reported 4 whistles. I think it may have taken around 29 minutes of actual time to play.

I liked the effort by the Sabres in the 3rd after the Bruins tied up. They played like they actually cared (for a change). I thought the line juggling for this game - putting some size/speed/skikk on each line worked fairly well.

Hopefully Vanek can be back for Game 5.

Connolly continues to frustrate me to no end - the prettiest give-aways & non-scoring chances in the league combined with an (apparent) lack of hustle in the neutral& defensive zone when on D.

Clearing the zone ..... wow ..... a struggle for the Sabres - nice to Sekera skate it out once in OT rather than the lazy back passes that seem to inevitably lead to turnover.

Tough outcome for Sabres fans but I was entertained. It's nice to care about an NHL game again. It's been awhile.

Go Sabres on Friday.

So much for that press conference, but I agree with Lindy. They didn't blow it, basically the refs blew it he said and then walked out. The most emotion I have heard from Lindy in a long time.

I think it's Ruff's defense-first system that squashes individual player creativity.....Afinigenov leaves and had a pretty good season in Atlanta and Paille looks better in Boston.

Afinogenov's season went downhill after Kovalchuk was traded, and Paille gets to play every day in Boston.

Lindy playing the officials card...nice.

Sad. Anyone keeping track of the excuses? Injuries, top players out of shape, power play WON'T score, officiating... I'm sure we'll hear about how young the Sabres are eventually, and they got served tainted Boston baked beans for lunch.

Sometimes its also just a change of scenery, Briere and Drury and Campbell were All-Stars in Buffalo, and now they are overpaid and overrated, it works both ways. They problem is that they have a front office that just wants to sit back and rely on players to step up and play to their potential, and then use injuries as an excuse. They don't want to look outside the organisation to improve cause it might mean they made a mistake

Who do you get to replace Ruff that is going to be a step up?

So much for that press conference, but I agree with Lindy. They didn't blow it, basically the refs blew it he said and then walked out. The most emotion I have heard from Lindy in a long time.

The refs caused Stafford to jump onto the ice for no apparent reason??

Cmon Lindy...Stafford singlehandedly lost you the game with his bonehead penalty...

I don't know what happened to Connolly...against the Sens in the playoffs before he got hurt he was bordering on superstar status...pretty much singlehandedly willing the Sabres to victory in the first game...the injuries just seemed to take the will out of him to play like he needs to in the playoffs...

It's not a mystery. It's the injuries. Winning a Stanley Cup isn't as important to him as making what money he can during his career and, more importantly, not suffering any more head injuries. He's the Corbin Bernsen character from Major League now.

I guess I don't blame him for not wanting any more brain injuries, but he's not going to win anything for us. Get rid of him.

How do they not "take it"? What do their fans actually do to spur their front offices into building better teams? Be specific.

Read message boards and and listen to their sports talk radio. I have over the years because I am a Red Sox fan. They don't have the same level of tolerance that so many here have. It may be a unfair comparison since they have won a Championship in every major sport. That shouldn't make a difference to fans.

The refs caused Stafford to jump onto the ice for no apparent reason??

Cmon Lindy...Stafford singlehandedly lost you the game with his bonehead penalty...

But the game never gets to that point if those two borderline calls don't get made. They were both non-calls in a playoff game. McCormick barely touches Rask and Kaleta hits the goon Lucic with a clean body check in the faceoff circle and gets called for boarding? How is that possible.

That was the old "new NHL" where you couldn't breathe on a guy without getting a penalty. Tim Connolly thrived under that set of rules. Under the current set of rules in a playoff setting he is a liability.

Read message boards and and listen to their sports talk radio. I have over the years because I am a Red Sox fan. They don't have the same level of tolerance that so many here have. It may be a unfair comparison since they have won a Championship in every major sport. That shouldn't make a difference to fans.

So? Their message boards have angry people? You think this matters to the people running the teams?

Did the Ducks win the Stanley Cup because of all their insane fans in Anaheim? Is that why the Hurricanes won too? Angrier fans?

He's not 100% accurate. Their is some truth in what he is implying. I want to explain this well because I know I will get drilled if I don't. Frustration is clouding my mind right now.

This team, mentally and physically, will only allow it's self to go so far. Boston won the game tonight because the Sabres don't have a player on the bench that was capable of winning the game for the Sabres. They have players with the talent but not that something that allows them to bury the chances they had. You can call it "choking" or anything else, it's not always a reflection of effort.

I understand your point, but the game winner came off the stick of Miro Satan... which really defeats your point.

Everyone clamors for leadership, when what they are really wanting is top shelf talent. That is what this team lacks and has for a long time. We have good talent overall, but we lack the top tier. The guys that exhaust the other team, so even when they don't score - someone else has a better opportunity.

This series may have me believing in the offensive failures if Ruff. Goals scored or not, an offensively poor Boston team sure does put itself in better areas of the ice than us. Size has a little to do with it, but quite frankly - their movements are MUCH more conducive to better production than ours.

In a lot of ways, I agree with every single thing that you say here. I know you don't hear that too often, and I can't really believe that I am saying it, but I think you are right.

The thing is, that I really don't see anyone on the Boston roster that jumps out to me as someone that scares me when he gets the puck. I think their makeup, without Savard, is a lot like our team.

Archived