GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

don't try to bring reality to this board. it's a losing effort.

3 thought lines rule this board (and TBD for that matter) no matter what the situation:

1) Bring in "X" on a trade for "fill in most worthless Sabre/Bill" even up.

2) Fire everybody because THAT will make it better (see: Buffalo Bills every 3 years)

3) Don't buy tickets and "show" management that you won't take it anymore.

In a game faster than ANY of us ever played/will play in our "best of shape" days of pick up, league, and HS Hockey, things happen. Especially in the 2nd OT of an NHL playoff game. Think about how tired you are after a normal day of any of the above. Or even how tired you are after a normal day of life. Because a player is a professional they are immune to fatigue? Tonight most Sabres played tough. They lost to a better playoff team. How many rookies played tonight? 4? ###### happens, man. Even if they got out of the Bruins series, were the Sabres to get out of the East? Of course not.

Just do me a favor, when posting the "trade, Fire, and protest" posts please remember that just because we are all from Buffalo and love it, it doesn't mean that free agents, big name coaches, and anyone else in a position to refuse a posting in Buffalo should come. Everyone gets pissed when people diss Buffalo but for anyone on this thread that has traveled or moved from Buffalo understands that it is a really small market. A great market for those of us in the know but not to others. Things aren't going to get better. Buy tickets. Buy merchandise. Support the teams. Bitch all you want in message boards because it's fun but be realistic; it is what it is and don't expect it to change. Remember "the now" because in 10 years it is going to be a completely different picture.

Flame away. :nana:

I agree with almost everything here except there is a definite need for change. I don't think the NHL's longest tenured GM/coach brain trust needs a 12th chance this summer at "re-tooling" the roster to bring a cup to Buffalo. It's just time.

So much for that press conference, but I agree with Lindy. They didn't blow it, basically the refs blew it he said and then walked out. The most emotion I have heard from Lindy in a long time.

Well, barring a miracle.....we looked finished. Ruff can complain all he wants but Stafford is the goat of game 4 much like th erookie in game 3. Nothing changes we still need to win one in Boston and tak ecare of business on home ice. The goalie interference was crap I will agree as was the Kaletta hit......but the game was decided when Stafford fell asleep....I doubt anyone would care if this guy was a Sabre next season he is lazy...inconsistant and brings nothing to the table.....Connolly and Stafford are killing us......Ennis stepped up tonight and played hard.....I wsih Hect was in this series......maybe we'd would have won tonight had we had a penalty kille rlike him he is soooo good at it....

I am all for cutting loose of Vanek and Stafford and putting the money into Lydman and Tallinder....and letting the kids come up and play.....and oh if Ruff wants to take his Defensive shell and leave town I would not be tooo disapointed...He is a good choach but we need a change! Perhaps we should consider moving Miller...his Stock may never be higer after this season....He has a lot of games in his locker and no cups.....I mean perhaps a hershal walker type deal would give this cheap owner and pathetic front office....who brings in guys like Torres....Zubris.....and the rest of the crap..... For me.....Myers,Tallinder,Lydman, Weber, Sekera are a good 5 maybe Butler shows up ....Pominville,Roy, Hecht..Ennis...Gerbe....Grier...Ellis,,Kaletta and Kennedy.... are guys I think are the core....Connolly has never proven anything....besides he has bad luck....Vanek scored less than 30 for 40+ money......I would like to keep MIller but we need someone else.....to play 15-20 games....

I wont be watching the game Friday.....and I hope they win....I just don't think this group has the heart to even show up!

No. I live in NC and the canes are actually a very exciting team to watch because they can never be counted out, they score when they need too. (something the Sabres lack) The Ducks won cause they obliterated everyone in their path. (something these Sabres could never do) To be honest both of those teams are examples of the Sabres are lacking. (although the Sabres should have won the cup back in '06 if the Hurricanes hadnt killed our defense)

In other words, they won because they built great teams. Not because of their fans.

I'll take the bait ...

Miller was terrific. The team generally played well, it was a heck of a game to watch, but we didn't get anything special from any of our (alleged) offensive talent. Not a peep. That, coupled with a few ticky-tack calls, adds up to a double-overtime loss.

Big players make big plays in big games. Miller did his part. Others, not so much.

as much as i completely agree that this team needs some true offensive talent, if Miller was truly the superstar we all believe him to be, this game would have been a win tonight. i remember watching Roy and Brodeur, and even Hasek, carry their team on their backs for an entire series (let alone one game). Miller is, and has ALWAYS been, a 2-3 goals per game goalie. no matter what, he's going to let in a couple garbage goals. it was the same back when we had drury and briere, we were just lucky enough to have an offense that could score 4+ goals per game so it was never really noticed.

it's time for Connolly to score.

it's time for Torres to score.

it's time for Miller to pitch a shut out.

that is all it comes down to.

In two leagues that have salary caps? Try another excuse. :thumbdown:

NFL has a salary cap, but it is also a fact that big market teams can toss around these huge signing bonuses much easier than small market teams. I was talking about Football and Baseball(no salary cap), not Football and Hockey...what have the Bruins won recently?

In other words, they won because they built great teams. Not because of their fans.

Yea exactly! The Sabres have built at best a good team capable of making the playoffs and possibly winning one series. They need a change to take it to the next level and become true cup contenders.

The Patriots won because they accidentally drafted a Hall of Fame quarterback in the sixth round of the NFL draft about 10 years ago.

The Red Sox won because they have a ton of money and a really smart young GM named Theo Epstein.

The Celtics and Bruins are both well-run teams, and can attract free agents because it's a huge market with plenty of additional opportunities to make money by way of endorsements, etc.

The fans....have NOTHING to do with how good those teams are. I know they're loud mouths and like to think that that success is somehow a sign of Boston's superior intellect as a city, but really it has nothing to do with it. If intense, angry fans who "don't take it" resulted in teams winning championships, then Philadelphia would have a dynasty in every sport right now. And the Mets would be as good as the Yankees. And the Rangers and Knicks would both be awesome.

Conversely, Anaheim wouldn't have baseball AND hockey championships in the last 10 years. The Marlins would not have two World Series wins. The Canes and Lightning wouldn't have won the Cup. It does on and on.

Excuse away all you would like. If you refuse to realize the pressure fans like in a city like Boston puts on its sports franchise than what can I say to change your mind? You've cut off reality. I probably have a better chance convincing Xchecking that cavemen exist and Inkman that he needs to wear pants when he delivers pizzas.

as much as i completely agree that this team needs some true offensive talent, if Miller was truly the superstar we all believe him to be, this game would have been a win tonight. i remember watching Roy and Brodeur, and even Hasek, carry their team on their backs for an entire series (let alone one game). Miller is, and has ALWAYS been, a 2-3 goals per game goalie. no matter what, he's going to let in a couple garbage goals. it was the same back when we had drury and briere, we were just lucky enough to have an offense that could score 4+ goals per game so it was never really noticed.

it's time for Connolly to score.

it's time for Torres to score.

it's time for Miller to pitch a shut out.

that is all it comes down to.

Miller made a ton of great saves tonite, but he needed to stop that BS turn and blindly shoot at the net goal by Bergeron...that probably turned the tide of the series...then again, what is the Sabres problem with playing with a lead in the playoffs? They were awesome with leads during the regular season---you would think it would be easiest of all to play with 2 goal leads against the worst offensive team in the NHL, yet they keep allowing Boston to score...wtf??

Excuse away all you would like. If you refuse to realize the pressure fans like in a city like Boston puts on its sports franchise than what can I say to change your mind? You've cut off reality. I probably have a better chance convincing Xchecking that cavemen exist and Inkman that he needs to wear pants when he delivers pizzas.

LOL - thanks for providing a laugh to break up the misery before bed.

NFL has a salary cap, but it is also a fact that big market teams can toss around these huge signing bonuses much easier than small market teams. I was talking about Football and Baseball(no salary cap), not Football and Hockey...what have the Bruins won recently?

100% of player salaries and bonuses are included in the salary cap and paid by TV revenue. Try again. :thumbdown:

Their power plays been bad for a few years now. Either get some new coaches or some new players. My take, Lindy Ruff isn't telling Tim Connolly or Derek Roy to hold onto the puck for 10 seconds each before they promptly turn the puck over. That type of stupid hockey is on them.

We had this argument about their PP 3 years running - it's McCutcheon and the VS guys showcased him very well as if they knew this

guy is NOT worth a damn!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

You only need to look at tonight's box score to see what's wrong with this team. With goals from those two, the final score should Sabres 5-2. The remaining top six forwards should have added something. Going scoreless after the second period in basically the most important game of the season is unforgivable.

This sentiment, or a similar version has been noted enough times on this board to have some merit. Who fixes it? GTG, Darcy, Larry,and/or Ruff?

Ugh. I feel f*cking cheated. No other way to describe it.

I hate to fall back on excuses, but my god, that was one of the most poorly officiated NHL games I've ever witnessed.

The refs really handed the Bruins their comeback on a silver platter.

On a side note, Miller was close to playing lights out tonight, minus the stupid Bergeron goal.

And you continue to buy into the Boston sports fan hype that they are somehow responsible for the success of their teams.

I've laid out a bunch of examples of cities and teams where the "fan pressure" doesn't correlate with success. Do you have a response to that?

Ugh. I feel f*cking cheated. No other way to describe it.

I hate to fall back on excuses, but my god, that was one of the most poorly officiated NHL games I've ever witnessed.

The refs really handed the Bruins their comeback on a silver platter.

On a side note, Miller was close to playing lights out tonight, minus the stupid Bergeron goal.

The refs handed the Sabres their excuse for the night and the Sabres handed the comeback to the Bruins. It's about mental toughness and this team doesn't have it.

And you continue to buy into the Boston sports fan hype that they are somehow responsible for the success of their teams.

I've laid out a bunch of examples of cities and teams where the "fan pressure" doesn't correlate with success. Do you have a response to that?

It has been proven that attempts to buy championships can be successful. That wasn't the original thought. The question at hand is why does a city like Boston win multiple Championships in all the major sports. Answer is simply the pressure by the fans demands it. You can argue that point all you would like. It would be a waste of time.

Other sports maybe, but they don't give a damn about hockey here... oh wait, they're in the playoffs now so they care for just this week. The attitude towards the Bruins in this town is one of the strangest things you'll ever see. Throughout the year it's nothing but "I gave up on the bruins X years ago"... but then if they're winning "I've always loved the Bruins". The fans put no pressure on any team but the Red Sox here.

It has been proven that attempts to buy championships can be successful. That wasn't the original thought. The question at hand is why does a city like Boston win multiple Championships in all the major sports. Answer is simply the pressure by the fans demands it. You can argue that point all you would like. It would be a waste of time.

So why doesn't Philadelphia have just as many championships????

Why aren't the Mets as good as the Yankees? Why are the Knicks are total joke every year? How come the Rangers can't win another Stanley Cup?

The Maple Leafs and Canadiens seem to get a ton of fan pressure. Where are their championships lately?

You're focusing on one data point (Boston) and ignoring dozens of other ones. Hilarious. Were the Bills good in the 90s because the fans demanded it or did they just have an amazing team built by an amazing GM?

Other sports maybe, but they don't give a damn about hockey here... oh wait, they're in the playoffs now so they care for just this week. The attitude towards the Bruins in this town is one of the strangest things you'll ever see. Throughout the year it's nothing but "I gave up on the bruins X years ago"... but then if they're winning "I've always loved the Bruins". The fans put no pressure on any team but the Red Sox here.

How was it last season? I can understand the lower expectations this season.

And 100% correct, Red Sox are the #1 priority. Much like the Bills here when they are winning.

World series 2004 and 2007 Boston Red Sox - including the greatest comeback in all of ptofessional sports being down to the Yankees 0 -3 and then winning the next 8 games!

The Boston Celtics were World Champs two years ago! Boston College with the help of Gerbe won NCAA hockey crown two years ago!

And, of course, the New England Patriots have won the Super Bowl - is it 4 times in the 21st Century!

Even last year the Boston Bruins were a class act - displaying aptitude and skill! For the above reasons Boston has been the hub of the sports universe - and I've enjoyed every moment of it because it was pure aptitude and skill.

The Boston Bruins lacking last year's finesse have digressed to a goon squad and they are 3 - 1 against the Buffalo Sabres in part because the officiating - at the very least - is substandard!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

Archived