Gerbe is a tasmanian devil

static70

I have to tell ya, I was very skeptical on this kid due to his size and his 10 game performance last season.

But, from what I've seen so far in the games he's played, I am more than impressed to say the least.

I would like this kid to stay with the club come next season.

Thoughts?

Don't get fooled based on a few games. Florida didn't show up tonight. I thought Gerbe played maybe his best game as a pro tonight but i still don't see him ever being a regular. Somebody has a quote about Gerbe in their signature from Ruff (i think), and its something along the lines if he's not a 70 point scorer or he won't make it. I agree with it and don't see him ever hitting that mark.

Don't get fooled based on a few games. Florida didn't show up tonight. I thought Gerbe played maybe his best game as a pro tonight but i still don't see him ever being a regular. Somebody has a quote about Gerbe in their signature from Ruff (i think), and its something along the lines if he's not a 70 point scorer or he won't make it. I agree with it and don't see him ever hitting that mark.

I think it's ink and I disagree. He's got a little somethin' extra.

Funny...that's probably what people have been telling Nathan Gerbe his whole life, and yet here he is scoring goals in the NHL.

I'll put it this way; Physically speaking, everything about Ales Kotalik screams HOCKEY PLAYER. Gerbe, you couldn't tell from Adam. Which one do you think is more valuable to a team?

Funny...that's probably what people have been telling Nathan Gerbe his whole life, and yet here he is scoring goals in the NHL.

I'll put it this way; Physically speaking, everything about Ales Kotalik screams HOCKEY PLAYER. Gerbe, you couldn't tell from Adam. Which one do you think is more valuable to a team?

Quit it with the he's scoring in the NHL.... he's not knocking down any records. He has 2 goals in 14 career games. Majority of his 14 games, he's been horrid. No scoring chances, not a "tasmanian devil" as people hyped in here, but a bad hockey player. He's shown signs when given the space. But, truth of the matter is, he's been horrid more then he's been good and out of his 2 NHL goals, one of them was against a team that showed absolutely NO LIFE.

To break it down even further, this "tasmanian devil" has 0 goals on even strength. Both his goals were on the power play. You just can't be an offensive stud when you can't score 5v5.

Let's just call a spade a spade. This is the Doug Flutie Syndrome. He's freakishly small and therefore people want him to succeed for that reason alone.

He damn well better put up 70 points per year or his career will be shorter than Inkman love-making session.

Let's just call a spade a spade. This is the Doug Flutie Syndrome. He's freakishly small and therefore people want him to succeed for that reason alone.

He damn well better put up 70 points per year or his career will be shorter than Inkman love-making session.

You're really sour on this kid for some reason. Between me (Miller), Eleven (Connolly) and you, that's some serious hate.

Quit it with the he's scoring in the NHL.... he's not knocking down any records. He has 2 goals in 14 career games. Majority of his 14 games, he's been horrid. No scoring chances, not a "tasmanian devil" as people hyped in here, but a bad hockey player. He's shown signs when given the space. But, truth of the matter is, he's been horrid more then he's been good and out of his 2 NHL goals, one of them was against a team that showed absolutely NO LIFE.

To break it down even further, this "tasmanian devil" has 0 goals on even strength. Both his goals were on the power play. You just can't be an offensive stud when you can't score 5v5.

This Gerbe kid is a waterbug. Gerbe and Ennis may be something special and they need a chance to play. Hopefully they unseat some of the fat cats, coach's pets and dime-a-dozens that are too generously sprinkled throughout the Sabres lineup.

Youth will lead the way!

This Gerbe kid is a waterbug. Gerbe and Ennis may be something special and they need a chance to play. Hopefully they unseat some of the fat cats, coach's pets and dime-a-dozens that are too generously sprinkled throughout the Sabres lineup.

Youth will lead the way!

I promise you one thing; you won't be screaming for this should we draw Philly in the first round.

Welcome to the board, BTW.

lol. IDK where u get the hate from this kid. So your sayin he has to score 70 points per year to stay on the roster? what about 60? what about 50? I'm sure Gerbe loves everybody counting him out...been that way his whole life so why stop now...he thrives off it. I dont care how big you are, if you got the talent and the heart you will succeed in the league. We gave Taylor Pyatt's 6'3 frame plenty of years to develop. Never put up over 35 points if I can remember correctly, never used his frame to play physical, was not a great skater..Oh yeah he got the opportunity only because of his height. Why not give the kid a full year to see what he's made of?

Not enough games to decide. Personally, I'm not holding my breath on Gerbe. He works hard, so he has my respect for that. However, I haven't seen any signs that lead me to believe he'll be on the roster next year.

I ask this only half seriously, are people confusing ennis and gerbe? Ennis looks like twice the player Gerbe is and he's younger. Right now Kennedy looks great too but I don get the lovefest for Gerbe. He's looked okay for 1 1/2 games. Mancari looked better in his earlier stint this year.

You're really sour on this kid for some reason. Between me (Miller), Eleven (Connolly) and you, that's some serious hate.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Connolly (or Stafford). I just want them to be elsewhere. With a good return-in-trade for their skill.

As for Chemich's comment on Gerbe, well, he's not going to get more "adept" at speed. Geez, the kid is freaking fast.

As for the rest of it, I agree with the folks who say that he's going to have to put up serious points to make it in the NHL. Face it, he IS small. If he can score/assist, great; if not, well, sorry, kid.

I watch his play off the puck. He takes a serious amount of abuse out there. Everyone feels compelled to hit him because he's smaller than them. He gets knocked down A LOT. But to this kids credit, he pops up faster than a poptart and he is right back at it. I certainly think the odds are against him, but he hustles ALL the time. There is no slack in his game. He's either running for his life or he's trying to make a play.

This concept people keep stating that he has to put up 70 points a season in the NHL or he won't play is pure hog wash.

He doesn't have to put up 70 points a season if his +/- is up and he is back checking, fore checking and doing the little things on the defensive side as well as breaking up the ice with his "OBVIOUS" speed in the transition game and his ability to hang on to the puck in the offensive zone.

People should be clear on what role he plays. He is not an along the boards player, his a middle ice and slot type of player. Yes, there are these types of players in the NHL that have found success. Sheesh, I wasn't sold on him due to size based on possible injury, but to hear some people say it on the forums here, this kid is doomed to fail for no good reason at all, thats just not the case. He looks much better out there than some regular roster members at the moment.

I too like what I've seen out of Gerbe the last couple of games, but we need to remember that the opponents were 2 really crappy teams who are both allergic to defense. These were the kind of games that lend themselves to Gerbe's style (not to mention Ennis', Pommer's, Roy's, etc.). Let's see how Gerbe does against the better teams before we start trading guys to make room for him.

The kid deserves at least one year full time pro. Let's see what he can do with a year.

We've given worst players multiple years to proven themselves in the past...

it's reasonable to insist that gerbe get a full audition before people pass judgment.

but on that second piece, there's a distinction be made here (not that i am sure it's fair). coaches and gm's might believe that the indifferent play of, say, a kotalik, can be remedied if only that player can be "reached", while coaches and gm's might more readily conclude that a player's size deficit is insurmountable and can't be remedied.

I ask this only half seriously, are people confusing ennis and gerbe? Ennis looks like twice the player Gerbe is and he's younger.

ennis has made it easier for me to move past the great hope i had invested in gerbe -- we joke at work that ennis is our second coming of danny briere (that's a good thing, in the event there's any confusion on the point).

This concept people keep stating that he has to put up 70 points a season in the NHL or he won't play is pure hog wash.

it's a statement that does overreach, but it does so by design and, even at that, doesn't miss the mark by much.

while i am not 100% sure on what we have (or don't have) in gerbe, i do feel as though i am maybe 85% sure.

I ask this only half seriously, are people confusing ennis and gerbe? Ennis looks like twice the player Gerbe is and he's younger. Right now Kennedy looks great too but I don get the lovefest for Gerbe. He's looked okay for 1 1/2 games. Mancari looked better in his earlier stint this year.

I'm with you Inkman. My dad and I had a conversation before the game yesterday and he kept talking about Gerbe, Gerbe, Gerbe... I said, "you mean Ennis?" He said, "no, Gerbe." I don't quite get it. To me, Ennis has been an absolute breath of fresh air. Gerbe has been OK since the callup, but Mancari made more of an impact with his last callup than Gerbe has IMO.

There must be something to this because he hasn't been anything special.

This Gerbe kid is a waterbug.

I have not noticed his speed what-so-ever. Briere, Max, Roy, Holzinger...those are/were the guys I associate with speed. I think Nathan would be left in all of their collective dust. He doesn't seem extaordinarily fast and let's face it, he needs to be head and shoulders faster than all other players.

As for Chemich's comment on Gerbe, well, he's not going to get more "adept" at speed. Geez, the kid is freaking fast.

I'll watch more closely but I haven't seen it. Maybe in person it's more noticeable.

I too like what I've seen out of Gerbe the last couple of games, but we need to remember that the opponents were 2 really crappy teams who are both allergic to defense.

Allergic to defense. :lol: I'd like to see how these kids do against actual NHL defenses as well.

Archived