Gerbe is a tasmanian devil

static70

Martin St Louis didn't make the NHL until he was 23, scored 2 points in his first 13 games, 20 points in his first 70 games, and didn't score 70 points in an NHL season until he was 28 years old.

Gerbe is 22.

Well, it's safe to say if Gerbe is 28 years old before he reaches the 50+ point barrier, it won't be in a Sabres uni. He'll get a couple of years but the clock is ticking...

I have to tell ya, I was very skeptical on this kid due to his size and his 10 game performance last season.

But, from what I've seen so far in the games he's played, I am more than impressed to say the least.

I would like this kid to stay with the club come next season.

Thoughts?

I watched Gerbe in college a lot more than most, because I went to Boston University. And I have always thought Sabres fans have far under-rated him. He wasn't as ready for the NHL at a young age as Myers and Ennis, but he is loaded with talent - you could see that in College. You don't win the Hobey Baker for nothing. Gerbe is a huge Sabre asset. I wanted Gerbe, Ennis, and Mancari to make the team last September... I may have been pre-mature, but the vision I had then is starting to look more realistic.

I watched Gerbe in college a lot more than most, because I went to Boston University. And I have always thought Sabres fans have far under-rated him.

Were you posting last year? He recieved daily nob jobs from the like around here.

He wasn't as ready for the NHL at a young age as Myers and Ennis, but he is loaded with talent - you could see that in College.

Uh...he was playing against college kids.

You don't win the Hobey Baker for nothing.

Brian Holzinger won the Hobey Baker. That award has as much to do with NHL success as the Heisman does with NFL success.

Gerbe is a huge Sabre asset. I wanted Gerbe, Ennis, and Mancari to make the team last September... I may have been pre-mature, but the vision I had then is starting to look more realistic.

Fixed.

Were you posting last year? He recieved daily nob jobs from the like around here.

Which is somehow different than the ridiculous negativity, right?

Uh...he was playing against college kids.

He was dominating college kids. The fact of the matter is he wasn't drafted at the top of the first round, so it stands to reason that it's going to take 4 or 5 seasons BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.

It's funny how all of you clowns laugh at the Rangers but if you were in charge, your teams would look just like them because you'd trade or get rid of every ounce of young talent for overrated ###### clowns.

I watched Gerbe in college a lot more than most, because I went to Boston University. And I have always thought Sabres fans have far under-rated him. He wasn't as ready for the NHL at a young age as Myers and Ennis, but he is loaded with talent - you could see that in College. You don't win the Hobey Baker for nothing. Gerbe is a huge Sabre asset. I wanted Gerbe, Ennis, and Mancari to make the team last September... I may have been pre-mature, but the vision I had then is starting to look more realistic.

Another BU guy? We're everywhere. Oh, and I believe Kevin Porter might have something to say about your statement that Gerbe won the Hobey.

The big question with Gerbe is always going to be if he can absorb the hits that he will take. This season has some major red flags in that department.

It's funny how all of you clowns laugh at the Rangers but if you were in charge, your teams would look just like them because you'd trade or get rid of every ounce of young talent for overrated ###### clowns.

I know you don't frequent our little sanctuary but that's not a representation of me at all. I would build a team with heart and determination, along with skill. The kind of team that wins in the post season.

As far as Gerbe goes, my opinion has wavered. I'm at a middle ground now. I'll take a wait and see approach.

That might mean more if Gerbe actually won the Hobey Baker. Kevin Porter won it in the year that Gerbe was a finalist.

Wow. I stand corrected. I'm surprised a BU-guy was giving a BC-guy so much credit. Than I will revise my statement to say "you're not a finalist for the Hobey Baker for nothing". How's that? ;-). Did BC win the national title that year that Gerbe was a finalist? Maybe it's that "win" that I was remembering. Anyway, I agree with the other post who mentioned that Gerbe "dominated college kids". Since so many of you are clearly "all over this", given you so quickly noticed my mistake, why is it that so many are down on Nathan Gerbe then? How can someone that dominated in USA college hockey and that is only 22 not be be a player that makes us all excited (other than his small size)?

Another BU guy? We're everywhere. Oh, and I believe Kevin Porter might have something to say about your statement that Gerbe won the Hobey.

The big question with Gerbe is always going to be if he can absorb the hits that he will take. This season has some major red flags in that department.

Ditto St. Louis. Ditto Ennis. Ditto Fleury back in the day. I'll take all of them. You do need some size to win in the NHL, as the Sabres agreed with based on last years draft, but the whole team doesn't need to be that way.

Anyway, I agree with the other post who mentioned that Gerbe "dominated college kids". Since so many of you are clearly "all over this", given you so quickly noticed my mistake, why is it that so many are down on Nathan Gerbe then? How can someone that dominated in USA college hockey and that is only 22 not be be a player that makes us all excited (other than his small size)?

He did it in a very streaky fashion though. He would turn it on for a couple weeks and then disappear for a couple weeks. Those periods where he turned it on typically were around when BU was on the schedule, so it was very easy to miss the cold portions. It may not mean much, but it's another question mark. I can also come up with a long list players who dominated the college game but never amounted to anything beyond that. A guy like Darren Haydar comes to mind immediately. Dominance at the college level does not guarantee NHL success.

Ditto St. Louis. Ditto Ennis. Ditto Fleury back in the day. I'll take all of them. You do need some size to win in the NHL, as the Sabres agreed with based on last years draft, but the whole team doesn't need to be that way.

What is often missed when listing these smaller players is that Gerbe is that much smaller than even guys like St. Louis. Fleury is the only one who was listed at the same height. You will have a very hard time finding players over the course of recent NHL history that small. He's facing a very steep uphill battle.

I know you don't frequent our little sanctuary but that's not a representation of me at all. I would build a team with heart and determination, along with skill. The kind of team that wins in the post season.

As far as Gerbe goes, my opinion has wavered. I'm at a middle ground now. I'll take a wait and see approach.

Don't forget aptitude!!!!

!

He was dominating college kids. The fact of the matter is he wasn't drafted at the top of the first round, so it stands to reason that it's going to take 4 or 5 seasons BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.

Generalizations are just that - generalizations.

He was drafted in the 5th round because whatever it is he does will be awfully hard to translate at the pro game. Quite frankly, unless he is the fastest player on the ice - I don't see how anything he could bring to the table could remotely replace what you have to give up along the boards or anywhere else contact might occur.

I ask this only half seriously, are people confusing ennis and gerbe? Ennis looks like twice the player Gerbe is and he's younger. Right now Kennedy looks great too but I don get the lovefest for Gerbe. He's looked okay for 1 1/2 games. Mancari looked better in his earlier stint this year.

+1. They are two different players. Ennis is an elusive playmaker who can finish. Gerbe was a pure sniper in college. Not sure if he can find holes and create separation in the pros. Time (if he gets it) will tell. I do like the way he battled on the boards last night, but the second he stops he is a detriment.

+1. They are two different players. Ennis is an elusive playmaker who can finish. Gerbe was a pure sniper in college. Not sure if he can find holes and create separation in the pros. Time (if he gets it) will tell. I do like the way he battled on the boards last night, but the second he stops he is a detriment.

:doh:

Gerbe was all over the Ice the last couple of games and I'll argue he was Buffalo's best back checker last night.

As for his longevity and what role he will play, I agree he is a sniper, so why not place him with players that can help to create that space, Goose is not that player.

As for as the bolded statement, this:

This can be said of any player, what makes Gerbe's case any different?

Archived