Gerbe is a tasmanian devil

static70

:doh:

Gerbe was all over the Ice the last couple of games and I'll argue he was Buffalo's best back checker last night.

As for his longevity and what role he will play, I agree he is a sniper, so why not place him with players that can help to create that space, Goose is not that player.

That will happen eventually, but they really are at a mix and match phase right now with the lines. There seemed to be pretty good chemistry with those top two lines recently, so Gerbe was pretty much the odd man out when those pairings were being made.

:doh:

Gerbe was all over the Ice the last couple of games and I'll argue he was Buffalo's best back checker last night.

As for his longevity and what role he will play, I agree he is a sniper, so why not place him with players that can help to create that space, Goose is not that player.

As for as the bolded statement, this:

This can be said of any player, what makes Gerbe's case any different?

The difference is that he is 5'4" and 155 lbs soaking wet with all his equipment on. The only way he can compete with full sized men is by playing balls out every second he is on the ice. Even playing balls out, he is at a significant disadvantage playing against a normal sized human also playing balls out. Playing less than balls out against a normal sized human who is playing balls out makes him a detriment, more so than someone normal sized.

I look at Gerbe as a pocket sized Vanek. They have a similar skill set, but one is 5'4" and 155 (+/-). The other is 6'2" and 220 (+/-) Which one can get by on 90% effort? Was there ever any question as to whether TV could play in the NHL?

I like having players of complimentary skill specialties on each line. Grier/Gaustad seem like the same player to me, both diggers. I think sometimes the lines seem pretty arbitrary the way they're put together. I'm cheering for Gerbe like I'd cheer for any underdog, but it's too early to declare him anything, let alone a tasmanian devil. He needs a solid chance to succeed and I think that would have to be at the expense of some of Ruff's prized journeymen, who are not going to improve. I have no idea why players like Ellis and Mair are holding back a player like Gerbe and Mancari.

The difference is that he is 5'4" and 155 lbs soaking wet with all his equipment on. The only way he can compete with full sized men is by playing balls out every second he is on the ice. Even playing balls out, he is at a significant disadvantage playing against a normal sized human also playing balls out. Playing less than balls out against a normal sized human who is playing balls out makes him a detriment, more so than someone normal sized.

lots of balls out there.. :unsure:

if Gerbe is in the full-time lineup next season, it is less a credit to him than it is a failure of Reiger to find someone that could beat him out. If a 5'4", 155 lb forward is the best you can come up with then you pretty much failed your team.

Then the Sabres will look just as stupid as the Flames do now.

The Flames look stupid for giving up on a player who didn't blossom until he was almost 30? Want to know how many NHL teams would have dumped his ######? All of them.

Archived