GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

NowDoYouBelieve

what's the magic number to win the division?

4. Otters behind by 7 points with potential of 10 in their remaining 5 games.

However, not sure if this was the case before tonight's game, but we've also clinched at least the 5-seed. Can't wait. Playoffs start in 14 days!

While I didn't hate Gerbe tonight, minus the nifty/lucky goal only a couple Sabres would have buried, I don't see why everyone us raving about the kid.

Ennis otoh...

I don't believe in luck. There are guys that finish and guys that don't.

I'm just so energized from this team.

Im enthused.

This team, the way it is now, I have confidence in. I'm excited about the opportunity the playoffs bring. I'm not saying its a Stanley Cup worthy team, but...WHO KNOWS. It'd be a ###### of a ride. :thumbsup:

The Vanek/Connolly Sabres on the other hand, I dread the playoffs. It's not IF we'll get knocked out of the playoffs, it's WHEN. I fear the inconsistent starts, the lazy play, the "9-5" mentality of work.

Screw that.

Let the hungry eat.

And may I say, after watching tonight's game, I can't deny it anymore:

Pommers is playing like an All-star. And Derek Roy's play has greatly improved.

I'd be fine with having Pommers and Roy as the two "players in their prime" in the top 6, Hecht as the experienced forward in the top 6, then sprinkling in a couple rookies like Ennis and Kennedy to round it out.

And may I say, after watching tonight's game, I can't deny it anymore:

Pommers is playing like an All-star. And Derek Roy's play has greatly improved.

I'd be fine with having Pommers and Roy as the two "players in their prime" in the top 6, Hecht as the experienced forward in the top 6, then sprinkling in a couple rookies like Ennis and Kennedy to round it out.

How come Roy and Pominville never play on the same line?

That was a fun one to be at. Really wanted Torres to put one in, but the three assists are ok. Great goals from the kids, and although Myers screwed up a couple of times, he had a strong game.

For PA: The crowd was NOT loud in the first, not at all. But later, there was a sustained Mexican wave, multiple "Let's Go Buffalo" chants, and even the "One, Two ... We Want N+1" chant. Crowd came on. I have no idea what it sounded like on TV, but it got pretty loud.

I loved the game last night. A couple of thoughts:

1) Gerbe has really impressed me. He looks a lot more polished this time around. I know people have fallen in love with Ennis' potential but of the two, Gerbe is more ready right now. Ennis has show flashes of awesomeness but isn't doing much of anything in the defensive zone right now. Gerbe has made a bunch of nice plays offensively and defensively these last few games.

2) Tim Kennedy looks like a completely different player the last two or three weeks. I'm excited about his future.

3) Pominville is playing with a ton of confidence right now.

4) This talk about being better off without Vanek and Connolly is just plain stupid. I'd like to think people are just saying it for hyperbole but I doubt it. These guys are both proven playoff performers who have shown that they can participate in blow-outs of Tampa Bay and Florida just as well as the rest of the team.

I will agree with the premise that the offense looks a lot better when they're not playing tip drill in front of the net. You don't need to pull Vanek from the offense to accomplish that, though. There are coaches and pundits who love to claim that the only way to score in the NHL these days is a scrum in front of the net but against most teams, that is clearly not the case.

The Vanek/Connolly Sabres on the other hand, I dread the playoffs. It's not IF we'll get knocked out of the playoffs, it's WHEN. I fear the inconsistent starts, the lazy play, the "9-5" mentality of work.

It's not like they started on fire last night, either. The early Florida goal was a result of terrible defensive zone play...turnovers, bad passes, and hesitant skating. All just like they did against the Bruins on Monday. Yes, they picked it up and looked better as the first period went on, but they can't start like that against Boston/Philly/whoever. They WILL be bounced in the first round if they keep up the horrible starts.

I loved the game last night. A couple of thoughts:

1) Gerbe has really impressed me. He looks a lot more polished this time around. I know people have fallen in love with Ennis' potential but of the two, Gerbe is more ready right now. Ennis has show flashes of awesomeness but isn't doing much of anything in the defensive zone right now. Gerbe has made a bunch of nice plays offensively and defensively these last few games.

2) Tim Kennedy looks like a completely different player the last two or three weeks. I'm excited about his future.

Gerbe and Kennedy seem to be more two-way players, who are full of hustle and brimstone in both zones, while Ennis is more an out-and-out offensive player. Knowing Ruff, he'll grind the defensive mentality into Ennis as well.

In this one respect I'll agree with PASabre.. I don't know why Ruff can't accept that some players will only be offensive players and not everyone in the team has to be a two-way player!

Doesn't the constant standing and sitting go completely against the Mexican stereotype of laziness?

I suppose. I've never understood the reason for that stereotype. The Mexicans that I've known have not been lazy people.

Are you stereotyping by saying that?

All stereotypes are dumb.

No. Just saying that I don't understand the reason behind it. Most stereotypes are dumb, but usually there's some basis somewhere, however twisted. This one, I just don't get.

Archived