Doug Allen hears some boos?!

PASabreFan

Ahhh...ir would help if the video recorder isn't about to blow his wad in anticipation of said "the". I was distracted to the point where I'm now annoyed.

There is no key change, but he definitely points.

I honestly listened to the clip and could not discern WTF you are talking about. Not that I really care, just pointing out I'm clueless as usual.
He hits the word "the." I've always liked that, along with the pointing.

i can't say i'd blame anyone for giving me a WTF on the theory i proffered. (which is to say you're not clueless for not hearing/seeing what i was talking about.)

fwiw, here's a cleaner version of doug singing both anthems (they don't give full treatment to the point, though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY7wwtcqg6M

the read on doug's (quite excellent) "land of the free" phrasing that my buddies and i had many years ago was/is entirely subjective -- it very well could be completely erroneous (we have decent gaydar, but from such a distance and based on such a limited presentation?). this was just an attempt to explain why a few hundred people at the arena act like jerks. probably no need to devote any energy to theorizing why.

i knew my ignorance of musical lexicon would bite me -- what's that thing he does at that point (HA!) in the song called? i called it "phrasing" elsewhere.

Technically it's a ritard to a fermata, which means slow down then hold.

I gotta say I like this version (cheesy pointing aside). It pretty understated (cheesy pointing aside). And his ritard and hold is much less annoying than many others (cheesy pointing aside).

I gotta say I like this version (cheesy pointing aside). It pretty understated (cheesy pointing aside). And his ritard and hold is much less annoying than many others (cheesy pointing aside).

He hits what would be a 3rd instead of the written note.

If "THE" is supposed to be an F....he hits an A. Assuming those notes......"FREE" is a G on a C chord....so instead of rolling right up to it, he overshoots it, adding a jazzy tinge for "the"...and ends where he should.

Because he isn't black, and didn't sing in a falsetto with a trill...it is questioned.

He hits what would be a 3rd instead of the written note.

If "THE" is supposed to be an F....he hits an A. Assuming those notes......"FREE" is a G on a C chord....so instead of rolling right up to it, he overshoots it, adding a jazzy tinge for "the"...and ends where he should.

informative and helpful -- thanks for that.

Because he isn't black, and didn't sing in a falsetto with a trill...it is questioned.

i love what he does at that point with the song as well ... and i've become fond of his signature point.

Hehe, retard. :D

maybe they want Ronan Tynan or a hot chick instead?

I think her name is Tara/Cara Minogue(or something like that) who fills in from time to time. Hard to get a good look at her from the 300's and since it would be tacky to pull out the binouclars during the anthems, I have no idea how good looking she is. :blush:

Who was worse, Henry Pendleton or Ingrid Smolinska?

Henry and Miro's squeeze were ok. Neither was better than Dougie.

They had a 4th one back then, big '80's haired blonde that waaaaaay overstylized the anthem. She seemed to be a Cher-wannabe. It was good to have her voted off the island.

I can't say I've ever heard anyone boo Dougie.

Who was worse, Henry Pendleton or Ingrid Smolinska?

Henry was horrible. Ingrid lead us to the Stanley Cup Finals in 99. My favorite was this black girl Keisha Adamczyk. She sang it a few times here and there when i had season tickets in the early 2000's. I thought she was real good.

I'll trade any anthem singer for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk&feature=fvw

I think her name is Tara/Cara Minogue(or something like that) who fills in from time to time. Hard to get a good look at her from the 300's and since it would be tacky to pull out the binouclars during the anthems, I have no idea how good looking she is. :blush:

I just checked Google and it's Tara Minogue - there is a video on YouTube of her singing the anthem at a Bills game. Very cute...and pretty good voice, too....

Henry was horrible. Ingrid lead us to the Stanley Cup Finals in 99. My favorite was this black girl Keisha Adamczyk. She sang it a few times here and there when i had season tickets in the early 2000's. I thought she was real good.

I figured this conversation might draw you out. Or the Uncle Miltie thread.

I'm trying to remember what year you saw John Gurtler in the church in Lackawanna.

I'll trade any anthem singer for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk&feature=fvw

I'd like to see an american crowd capable of that. I'd guess that about half the crowd doesn't even know the words.

I figured this conversation might draw you out. Or the Uncle Miltie thread.

I'm trying to remember what year you saw John Gurtler in the church in Lackawanna.

Mothers Day 1998. Barnaby scores 3 that day. That morning I saw ol Gurgler at the OLV Basilica.

I tried emailing you a few months back.. email bounced back.

Mothers Day 1998. Barnaby scores 3 that day. That morning I saw ol Gurgler at the OLV Basilica.

I tried emailing you a few months back.. email bounced back.

Wow. Hey, fushetti. Welcome back, hope you stick around, and where's the pic of TD?

• 11 months later...

So, for one of the few times in recent years, they showed the anthems on TV.

I was stunned that a few seconds after the moment of silence for RIck, it sure sounded (again) like some people were booing Doug Allen.

Who are these cretins?

Is there any logical explanation for this?

So, for one of the few times in recent years, they showed the anthems on TV.

I was stunned that a few seconds after the moment of silence for RIck, it sure sounded (again) like some people were booing Doug Allen.

Who are these cretins?

Is there any logical explanation for this?

I actually think they're saying Dooooooouug.

Archived