Doug Allen hears some boos?!

PASabreFan

You need a man with a pompadour, not some whiny girl or baldy.

I like how fast he sung it. More and more, the two anthems have become like funeral dirges. Get in there, sing the song, get out, and let's play hockey.

You need a man with a pompadour, not some whiny girl or baldy.

No one ever sang the anthems like Roger Doucet. It was part of what made the Forum such a great place for a game.

Getting back to the question at hand. I have never once heard Douggie booed at the rink. I've heard MANY people shout "Doooooouuuuuuug" or "Dougggiiiiieeeee" (myself included). My guess is that by the time the sound gets up to the press box it becomes rather indistinct as the acoustics in that rink are not particularily good.

Here's another of Roget Doucet ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTJw2lYgXOA&feature=related

Nothing like his anthems and Gallivan calling the games ...

interesting to hear how the franco-english version of the anthem had different english lyrics in the 70s -- something about rights and liberties.

... turns out that doucet was singing a "sporting event" version of the anthem.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/O_Canada

p.s. so happy to see all the love for doug. when we make the playoffs this year, i need to see our man belting it out.

watching this clip while i eat my lunch ... and i'm fascinated by the extent to which the hockey dates from 1979 but, to me, is recognizably "modern." what i mean by that is that a lot of the highlights i see of the sabres from that era (rick martin days) seem qualitatively different from the hockey i watch today -- the goalies look wooden and unathletic, the defensemen all look like darien hatcher circa 2006, etc.

but this game features a canadiens team that looks like they could play with anyone, and a goalie from the leafs (whom i vaguely recall) who is flopping around like hasek and out on the white ice like miller.

EDIT: actually, it was all white ice. but you get my meaning.

watching this clip while i eat my lunch ... and i'm fascinated by the extent to which the hockey dates from 1979 but, to me, is recognizably "modern." what i mean by that is that a lot of the highlights i see of the sabres from that era (rick martin days) seem qualitatively different from the hockey i watch today -- the goalies look wooden and unathletic, the defensemen all look like darien hatcher circa 2006, etc.

but this game features a canadiens team that looks like they could play with anyone, and a goalie from the leafs (whom i vaguely recall) who is flopping around like hasek and out on the white ice like miller.

That would be Palmateer. Who may be 'vaguely familiar' as the guy that effectively ended Rico's career a bit more than a year later.

That would be Palmateer. Who may be 'vaguely familiar' as the guy that effectively ended Rico's career a bit more than a year later.

woah. no sh!t. i was born in the early 70s, so some of the stuff from the 70s and early 80s is a little fuzzy. my sabres memory doesn't come into clear focus until after the miracle on ice -- i remember mike ramsey joining the team in 1980 and think i recall him making a play that season (1980) where he laid out like a wide receiver to keep a puck from leaving the offensive zone.

Boy, that Toronto goalie is tiny by todays standards also.

...just looked him up, it says he was 5'9". He looks smaller to me.

Doug Allen is alright at best. Sings the anthem, does his stupid point to the camera thing and off the ice he goes. Booing him is extreme but he's no prize singer.

I cut him some slack for his off-ice work: Blurb

He does even more good at his day job, as the maintenance supervisor at Cornerstone Manor, a facility that gives shelter to Buffalo’s homeless women and children. It’s affiliated with Buffalo City Manor, which shelters homeless men.

“I take care of the building,” said Allen. “I fix things when they break, I take care of service calls. I do some work on the floor, some of the heavier work that the ladies might not be able to do.

Archived