Doug Allen hears some boos?!

PASabreFan

I just read a bit of Vogl's game blog from the Ottawa game. He noted that Doug Allen got some boos, and it wasn't the first time. What's up with that?

Note that I didn't write "the fans booed Doug Allen." The fans don't boo Doug Allen, they didn't boo Patrick Lalime and they have never booed Chara, Ovechkin or Neil. Some fans do that, and it might not even be that many, but it's enough to be heard, and talked about, and written about. Sorry, one of my pet peeves. (And I've probably phrased it that way myself, so I am now booing myself.)

Anyway, what is up with Doug Allen hearing any boos? What did I miss? I think he's one of the best anthem singers the Sabres have ever had. Right up there with Joe Byron. Maybe better. Does he not "sex it up" enough?

I just read a bit of Vogl's game blog from the Ottawa game. He noted that Doug Allen got some boos, and it wasn't the first time. What's up with that?

Note that I didn't write "the fans booed Doug Allen." The fans don't boo Doug Allen, they didn't boo Patrick Lalime and they have never booed Chara, Ovechkin or Neil. Some fans do that, and it might not even be that many, but it's enough to be heard, and talked about, and written about. Sorry, one of my pet peeves. (And I've probably phrased it that way myself, so I am now booing myself.)

Anyway, what is up with Doug Allen hearing any boos? What did I miss? I think he's one of the best anthem singers the Sabres have ever had. Right up there with Joe Byron. Maybe better. Does he not "sex it up" enough?

Been trying to figure that one out myself. It seems that a good 5-10% of the crowd boos him every time he's introduced and I can't undersatnd why....although I just found out a couple weeks ago why Nicholas Picholas was mercilessly booed a few years back when he was the in-arena emcee (Shredd & Ragan were the instigators)

Been trying to figure that one out myself. It seems that a good 5-10% of the crowd boos him every time he's introduced and I can't undersatnd why....although I just found out a couple weeks ago why Nicholas Picholas was mercilessly booed a few years back when he was the in-arena emcee (Shredd & Ragan were the instigators)

I heard from plenty of people who didn't listen to Shredd and Ragan who couldn't stand that guy either.

I go to my fair share of games and never have heard Doug Allen booed. As far as the in game announcer(not the PA GUY), I don't know how much it had to do with the booing, but Picholas following the Why Guy(who was very good at it) was a no win situation.

PS The PA announcer sucks big time with his Buffalo Bandit style of announcing.

maybe they want Ronan Tynan or a hot chick instead?

If anyone deserves boos it's the guy who announces the goals. He's embarrassing. :thumbdown:

Amen x 5. I miss Milt Ellis every time I hear that jerkoff call a goal.

"Buffalo goal, his twelfth of the season, number 14, Rene Robert. Assists to number 7, Richard Martin, and number 6, Jim Schoenfeld. Time of the goal, 15:06. Robert, from Martin and Schoenfeld, 15:06."

Was any more needed? No.

EDIT: you folks who are Yankees fans, the ballpark announcer--the old guy--was similarly understated. I can't stand the Yanks (nor the Red Sox, so let it go...), but I always loved that announcer.

"Buffalo goal, his twelfth of the season, number 14, Rene Robert. Assists to number 7, Richard Martin, and number 6, Jim Schoenfeld. Time of the goal, 15:06. Robert, from Martin and Schoenfeld, 15:06."

Was any more needed? No.

EDIT: you folks who are Yankees fans, the ballpark announcer--the old guy--was similarly understated. I can't stand the Yanks (nor the Red Sox, so let it go...), but I always loved that announcer.

:thumbsup:

What pisses me off even more...

No one is buying a ticket because of this guys announcing nor will anyone stop buying tickets if he was told to do his best Milt Ellis impersonation.

if 5% of the people who regularly attend games are jerks (a conservative assumption), then, over time, those jerks can get their booing fairly organized and therefore heard. doug's a very good anthem singer, so i'm just assuming this is an example of jerks acting in concert.

one working theory: my buddies and i still had season's back when doug was getting entrenched as a regular anthem singer. at some point, doug settled on his trademark point and key-change for "land of the free" (~1:00 mark below). the second or third time we heard it, one of my friends leaned over to me and laughingly said "gotta be the gayest end to the anthem the sabres have ever had."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB7NgRjC2Ac

let me be clear: we're a "straight not narrow" sort of crew, and the remark was said with a good-natured blend of humor and delight. strikes me, though, that there may be some among the assembled masses who perceive doug as insufficiently manly.

Bob Sheppard :beer:

Allen's always been a bit bland to me. That's probably a good thing though. Those people booing him should be subjected to endless anthems from those idiots who decide to stylize the whole thing and completely re-write the song, then they'll know what they should be booing.

I can't even count the number of times I've cringed during singing of the "anthem" at BU games. This one guy in particular goes off in an attempt to show off with every other line during the song. I'd rather listen to Carl Lewis (especially if Charlie Steiner is around), because at least he's not completely rewriting the song. The worst part is that they've brought this kid back several times. I always want to sit down because it's not actually the national anthem, but I'm sure that wouldn't go over too well.

He also does the NY football Giants games.

Was any more needed? No.

Milt Ellis. Man, miss that guy too. I am a Yanks fan - and Reggie Jackson referred to Bob Shepard's voice as "The Voice of God". ;-). Derek Jeter has his voice recorded introducing him for an at-bat, and they still use it. (And I respect that you hate the Sox, even tho you don't like the Yanks ;-) ).

maybe they want Ronan Tynan or a hot chick instead?

I think this may be the answer - the anthem was sung last week by a reasonably attractive young lady. Maybe she has a fan club in attendance at the games and when it's not her performing the anthem, the singer who is gets booed. If that is the case....grow up! Doug is one of the better anthem singers in the league, much better than the opera guy in Vancouver and MUCH, MUCH better than Rene Rancourt in Boston (he was awful when he was younger, and his voice is not getting better with age.....)

Archived