GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I know every game is a must win, but the Sabres need to make sure they come out on top in this one. The road trip Buffalo is about to take is going to be tough. I think the Sabres will win tonight 4-2, and I also think Hecht will be one of the goal scorers. He is playing MUCH better hockey this year.

I know every game is a must win, but the Sabres need to make sure they come out on top in this one. The road trip Buffalo is about to take is going to be tough. I think the Sabres will win tonight 4-2, and I also think Hecht will be one of the goal scorers. He is playing MUCH better hockey this year.

Attention forum world:

Please, I'm begging, no more "must win" talk until maybe the last 10 games of the season. Not singling anyone out, but it's really grating with 42 games left, and the team in 1st place, to be hearing this over and over and over...

Trap game. Mid-week, drab opponent, sandwiched between an emotional shutout victory in Montreal and a home game vs Toronto... I smell trouble.

You can really see them sleepwalking through the first period, getting outshot 14-5, giving up a few breakaways to St. Louis and Stamkos and being down 2-0 at some point in the 2nd, right?

Of course, Vanek could also ring up one of his patented hat-tricks-vs-a-crappy-team and the Sabres could win 5-2 or so.

I'd like to see Kaleta back and playing well. He's usually good for a spark when the team isn't sharp.

Let's get 2 points in the bank.

Attention forum world:

Please, I'm begging, no more "must win" talk until maybe the last 10 games of the season. Not singling anyone out, but it's really grating with 42 games left, and the team in 1st place, to be hearing this over and over and over...

Indeed.

Attention forum world:

Thank you. A "must win" game implies that the effects of a LOSS would be catastrophic on a relative level. An early January game against a mediocre team from a different division while you're currently on a 4-game win streak and 2nd overall in the conference doesn't apply.

The following are examples of true must-wins, in my opinion

- Any playoff game in a series which you're not leading 3-0

- A 4-point-swing division game late in the season while you're battling for position

- You're 9th in the conference with 10 or fewer games to play and you're scheduled to play one of the teams you can potentially overtake

- You're on a losing streak of 3 games or more and you're facing a truly horrendous team (ie this year's Hurricanes or Oilers).

Of course, a player must approach every game like a must-win in order to maintain their competitive edge. But for the fans? We'd drive ourselves crazy with that mindset.

Attention forum world:

Somebody had to say it. I read it this morning and almost wrote something to the effect that it's certainly not a "must win" game but I've mentioned it several times this season which have fell upon deaf ears. Although if you're typing and reading, I'm not sure if that statement still holds....

Myers with a goal and assist tonight to overtake Vanek in points. :blink:

Yeah that's just crazy. Nobody predicted beginning of the season we'd be where we are(1st in division) the way we got here(primarily 3rd/4th line scoring and excellant goal tending).

Good news is there is plenty of room for improvement as we go through the second half and a lot of players recognize and echo that sentiment.

Can't wait for the game to start.

The natural hat trick that included the game winner in OT. Yup.

Two natural hat tricks against Tampa in 2007-08, actually, including two game winners, one in OT. The first (2/20/08) included the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals in an OT comeback win from down 1-3 to finish 4-3. The second (3/19/08) included the 4th, 5th and 6th goals in a comeback win from down 1-4 to finish 7-4.

Archived