Trade Target Watch

Calvin

If the Sabres do make the playoffs and have any dream of advancing past the first round, they have to solve their power play woes and that starts with a legitimate QB for the point. The experiment with Pominville at the point is futile - it worked 4 years ago when no one knew about Pominville's shot but now he never gets anything through. Butler and Myers show promise but neither is ready to make a real impact on the point and Sekera's a question mark as well.

To me, getting someone like Kaberle, Gilbert, Salo or Liles should be the top priority. Swapping in a more reliable scoring winger for the likes of MacArthur/Stafford/Pominville is a close second IMO.

Let's see here! We've taken over 2nd place in the conference! We're 4th in the league. We have one of the better road records. We're on pace for 112 pts at the halfway point in the season.

Don't mess with success - the best is yet to come.

We don't need bandwagoners - nor rent a skaters!

LR & DR would be foolish to start listening to a bunch of fantasy leaguers

dismantling a team on the cusp of greatness! Put that into your pipe and smoke it!!!

No smoke and mirrors on this team. We are skill and we are all we need to get Stanley home!!!

Dustin Brown - LAK - Right Wing, 25 years old.

Cap Hit (according to this site: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=LAK&season=0910)

3.5 million and is under contract for 4 years after this season at the same price.

He hails from Ithaca, NY.

Any input on the possibility of getting him?

why would the kings want to trade him when they are in the playoffs for the first time in like 10 years?

We got a 2010 3rd round draft pick and a conditional 2010 4th round draft pick for Paille - I'm pretty sure Whitney would come with a higher asking price. How about giving them Rivet and that conditional 2010 4th round draft pick for Whitney?

Why would the Sabres trade their captain? Rivet is not a facade captain like Chris Clark was in Washington...he is actually the captain...what kind of message would that send to the team?

Why would the Sabres trade their captain? Rivet is not a facade captain like Chris Clark was in Washington...he is actually the captain...what kind of message would that send to the team?

What kind of message does it send to the team when players like Kaleta and Roy are being boarded left right and centre, Miller is still getting run quite regularly and we regularly get shoved around in the offensive zone, defensive zone and anywhere else on the ice?

Oh yes, and I haven't even gotten to his flippant and non-committal play. He might have played like a solid veteran D-man a sum total of maybe eight games in the first half of the season.

The Rivet we thought we were getting and the one that showed up last season were quite different, and the one that showed up this season is even a poorer imitation of that. Maybe injuries and age have caught up with him, but I believe the only reason he hasn't been benched yet is because Ruff has this tenet of wisdom in book of coaching to never bench his captain, ever since it happened to him.

I cheered on Rivet like mad when he first came here, but right now I sincerely believe he needs to get his mojo back.

Rivet is hardly the "real" captain of the team.

That position is filled by Mr. Ryan Miller. Don't kid yourself.

Hands down. And I think this season even more so than others. I'd love to have seen his reaction the last few come back games. Now that he knows he's playing out of his mind, I doubt he holds anything back in the locker room.

Let's see here! We've taken over 2nd place in the conference! We're 4th in the league. We have one of the better road records. We're on pace for 112 pts at the halfway point in the season.

dismantling a team on the cusp of greatness! Put that into your pipe and smoke it!!!

No smoke and mirrors on this team. We are skill and we are all we need to get Stanley home!!!

And we are not winning the cup without some more scoring. I wouldn't mind seeing a trade that brings in a sniper or a playmaker even if it costs us something. Darcy won't give away the farm, I know that, but I hope he pulls the trigger on a deal that puts us over the top

* By the way, Pommer has a NTC/NMC that allows him to name 8 teams that he will not accept a trade to. Of course, Calgary wouldn't be too bad of a destination.

Link? I trust you, but I've never heard this before. Assuming it's true, holy mackarel did DR give away the store on that contract.

We got a 2010 3rd round draft pick and a conditional 2010 4th round draft pick for Paille - I'm pretty sure Whitney would come with a higher asking price. How about giving them Rivet and that conditional 2010 4th round draft pick for Whitney?

Oh, for Pete's sake. Rivet is not going to be benched or traded. It ain't happening, and posters here need to move on -- there are plenty of other areas for improvement and scrutiny. Rivet is a good but not great defenseman who acts and plays like a grownup, which the many children on this team still need.

I wouldn't mind taking Cullen off there hands. He's a real good player

This sounds plausible.

As always, I love the optimism (if not the funky fonts), but would you really object to adding a scorer at the deadline for a playoff run?

And we are not winning the cup without some more scoring. I wouldn't mind seeing a trade that brings in a sniper or a playmaker even if it costs us something. Darcy won't give away the farm, I know that, but I hope he pulls the trigger on a deal that puts us over the top

yes.

Rumor mill saying that Kovalchuk's issues with the Thrashers are not money related but that he just wants to play for a contender. So, of the teams in contention this year, where do you guys think he wants to go/fits best? (Not including the Sabres, since that seems to have been beaten to death here.)

Link? I trust you, but I've never heard this before. Assuming it's true, holy mackarel did DR give away the store on that contract.

Oh, for Pete's sake. Rivet is not going to be benched or traded. It ain't happening, and posters here need to move on -- there are plenty of other areas for improvement and scrutiny. Rivet is a good but not great defenseman who acts and plays like a grownup, which the many children on this team still need.

This sounds plausible.

As always, I love the optimism (if not the funky fonts), but would you really object to adding a scorer at the deadline for a playoff run?

yes.

I've said this before - maybe a month ago - and it rings true now!

The Sabres are a longstanding work in progress!

Except for the prospects in the minors (all of them) any new faces would be a disruption

in a 'resilient and effective world class skill organization that has the luxury of

tweaking itself (over the next 41 games) for greater efficacy with the tremendous resources it has developed over a

considerable time. I say don't mess with it! Excellent job LR & DR!!!

Mess with the best - lay with the rest!

Rumor mill saying that Kovalchuk's issues with the Thrashers are not money related but that he just wants to play for a contender.

Except for the prospects in the minors (all of them) any new faces would be a disruption

While I've read SR posts with an eyebrow raised for the most part, I finally may see eye to eye with you my friend. As far As Kovy is concerned d4rk, he reminds me too much of Yashin. Like Roby and Razor said, I think he would kill this team. As much as some of us like to rip Vanek for his effort and faces, his teammates seem to like him and Lindy is pleased with his play.

Now, I would really like to add a gritty power forward type at the deadline without giving up the farm. Maybe there is a fit out there.

:lol:

While I've read SR posts with an eyebrow raised for the most part, I finally may see eye to eye with you my friend. As far As Kovy is concerned d4rk, he reminds me too much of Yashin. Like Roby and Razor said, I think he would kill this team. As much as some of us like to rip Vanek for his effort and faces, his teammates seem to like him and Lindy is pleased with his play.

Now, I would really like to add a gritty power forward type at the deadline without giving up the farm. Maybe there is a fit out there.

It's funny, I argued with static70 for like 2 weeks against Kovalchuk and never thought about what Roby and Razor about him staying on too long and disrupting the whole team with his minute-and-a-half shifts. Made me want him even less than I already did.

I totally agree about the gritty power forward ... I am really bummed that Phoenix is good this season, with all their problems and a new coach I was hoping they would tank and Shane Doan would become available, but it went the other way. There are just not many of these guys out there.

I've said this before - maybe a month ago - and it rings true now!

The Sabres are a longstanding work in progress!

in a 'resilient and effective world class skill organization that has the luxury of

tweaking itself (over the next 41 games) for greater efficacy with the tremendous resources it has developed over a

considerable time. I say don't mess with it! Excellent job LR & DR!!!

Mess with the best - lay with the rest!

You weren't around a month ago. Just pointing out.

Resting on laurels is not how to win a Stanley Cup. Sitting back and hoping Miller can carry this team to a Stanley Cup is a sure fire way to ensure it doesn't happen. This team needs to add offense in a big way. And desperately need to find some type of solutions for the pathetic power play they have. Scoring drops in the playoffs which isn't a good sign for the Sabres. They also need to sure up defensively. If there is a rent-a-player defenseman that can come in at a top four level it would be worth whatever the price. Montador is a OK 6th -7th defenseman. They need to replace Lydman and Rivet is a shell of what he once was. They need face-off help to go along with Gaustad (team only 48.6%). They also need to get far more physical and aggressive. They are dead last in hits and near the bottom on blocked shots and takeaways. That is playoff hockey. Giving up the body. The Sabres have specific players that are willing. That willingness needs to transfer to the entire roster. Teams don't win in the playoffs only because their scorers score and tough guys play tough. They win because their scorers score and play tough and the tough guys play tough and score. I see players like Vanek, Roy, Pominville and Connolly who seem unwilling to play the dirty part of the game. Then there is Stafford and MacArthur who are at there best when they play that dirty playoff style hockey. Problem is consistency. They don't bring it on a regular basis.

I'm sure he would kill this team. That's why I said let's talk about where he might fit, excluding the Sabres. Trust me, I agree with the crowd who doesn't want him here. I'm just curious where people think he could end up, if he truly wants to play for a contender? (And who pays him 10 mil!?)

It's funny, I argued with static70 for like 2 weeks against Kovalchuk and never thought about what Roby and Razor about him staying on too long and disrupting the whole team with his minute-and-a-half shifts. Made me want him even less than I already did.

I totally agree about the gritty power forward ... I am really bummed that Phoenix is good this season, with all their problems and a new coach I was hoping they would tank and Shane Doan would become available, but it went the other way. There are just not many of these guys out there.

Lets call it "spirited" debating as far as the conversation on Kovalchuck goes ;) .

As for the points made on each side of this specific debate on Kovalchuck in Buffalo, all had their merits. All also have a decent counter point to be made as well.

As far as what Ray and Roby said about Kovalchuck, to me and many more like myself, they are just towing the company line, so to speak, on spending gobs of money for talent. I don't see Kovalchuck as an individual who would not listen to and follow instruction from his coaching staff. It is the coaching staff on Atlanta that keeps him out there, and rightfully so, he is a huge talent. How they work it is Atlanta's business. How Buffalo works it is entirely different. Therefore, the comments by Ray and Roby are speculative at best, unless of course, they are directly calling Kovalchuck a nightmare of a hockey player to deal with. Is there any indication that he is like this, in his personality, behavior on or off the ice, his game play...etc...etc...? I think the larger picture on this is being missed here altogether, which is Buffalo needs help scoring. The current roster, although performing above where I expected them has every indication of this. Your star goaltender shouldn't have to call out individuals on this team for anything, is there a rift in the locker room? One never knows for sure unless one is actually in the locker room, so I would say there are currently all indications that the lack of offensive zone pressure, leading to the defensive zone pressures this team faces game after game weigh heavily on Miller's mind. I would go so far as to say (purely speculaiton) that Miller is well aware this team cannot keep it on the offensive side for any length of time in a game and this troubles him because he knows they are so close to contending seriously.

There is a large section of the fan base not remotely satisfied with the strengths in scoring for this current roster. Equally, there is a large portion of the fan base who feel this team can carry the day.

My money is on them not getting very far into the playoffs, and I come to this conclusion based solely on the fact that they do have inept scoring from a truly talented line or 2. But this is not to say this team has not impressed many of us who would like to see a Kovalchuck type player here.

If not Kovalchuck, many people have brought other names to the table that may have the ability to help bolster goals to some extent. No one is asking to have a 5 or 6 goal game every night, I think most of us on the side of inept scoring are asking for a fairly concrete aquisition in order to get that extra breathing room is all.

Lets call it "spirited" debating as far as the conversation on Kovalchuck goes wink.gif .

As for the points made on each side of this specific debate on Kovalchuck in Buffalo, all had their merits. All also have a decent counter point to be made as well.

As far as what Ray and Roby said about Kovalchuck, to me and many more like myself, they are just towing the company line, so to speak, on spending gobs of money for talent. I don't see Kovalchuck as an individual who would not listen to and follow instruction from his coaching staff. It is the coaching staff on Atlanta that keeps him out there, and rightfully so, he is a huge talent. How they work it is Atlanta's business. How Buffalo works it is entirely different. Therefore, the comments by Ray and Roby are speculative at best, unless of course, they are directly calling Kovalchuck a nightmare of a hockey player to deal with. Is there any indication that he is like this, in his personality, behavior on or off the ice, his game play...etc...etc...? I think the larger picture on this is being missed here altogether, which is Buffalo needs help scoring. The current roster, although performing above where I expected them has every indication of this. Your star goaltender shouldn't have to call out individuals on this team for anything, is there a rift in the locker room? One never knows for sure unless one is actually in the locker room, so I would say there are currently all indications that the lack of offensive zone pressure, leading to the defensive zone pressures this team faces game after game weigh heavily on Miller's mind. I would go so far as to say (purely speculaiton) that Miller is well aware this team cannot keep it on the offensive side for any length of time in a game and this troubles him because he knows they are so close to contending seriously.

There is a large section of the fan base not remotely satisfied with the strengths in scoring for this current roster. Equally, there is a large portion of the fan base who feel this team can carry the day.

My money is on them not getting very far into the playoffs, and I come to this conclusion based solely on the fact that they do have inept scoring from a truly talented line or 2. But this is not to say this team has not impressed many of us who would like to see a Kovalchuck type player here.

If not Kovalchuck, many people have brought other names to the table that may have the ability to help bolster goals to some extent. No one is asking to have a 5 or 6 goal game every night, I think most of us on the side of inept scoring are asking for a fairly concrete aquisition in order to get that extra breathing room is all.

Since I can't resist a spirited debate ...

I don't think I would say Roby and Razor were towing the company line as much as assuming Lindy would still be the coach ... and in that regard a guy like Kovalchuk would not work. Your plan involves a new coach, so you could both be right. But as I have said, a new coach is a bit unrealistic given the team is in first place with more regulation wins than the 06-07 team at the midpoint.

As for how bad it is that Miller has to call people out and speculation about how it might create a rift ... this team has been ripped for a lack of leadership for more than two years, and now that someone is stepping up and holding guys accountable it's a bad thing? It may be unusual that he is a goalie but you can't ask the guy to be the face of the franchise and face the media after every game, win or lose, and not give him a voice in the room. If it happens to be the most influential voice in the room, so be it. You think Patrick Roy never called anyone out in Montreal? Also, Miller consistently praised the guys in front of him the first two months when the media was telling him how great he was ... as long as he gives credit when it is deserved, it will not cause a rift when he calls it like he sees it. He also came right out and said his teammates made him eat his words in the third period against Atlanta, giving them credit for fixing what was wrong earlier in the game. They respond to the guy and echo the things he says ... how is any of this bad?

I agree this team needs to score more and would love to see a deal for a top six forward or D-man to help the PP. I don't think it has to be someone who will cost $8-10 million a year and possibly change the culture of the team on and off the ice.

Since I can't resist a spirited debate ...

I don't think I would say Roby and Razor were towing the company line as much as assuming Lindy would still be the coach ... and in that regard a guy like Kovalchuk would not work. Your plan involves a new coach, so you could both be right. But as I have said, a new coach is a bit unrealistic given the team is in first place with more regulation wins than the 06-07 team at the midpoint.

As for how bad it is that Miller has to call people out and speculation about how it might create a rift ... this team has been ripped for a lack of leadership for more than two years, and now that someone is stepping up and holding guys accountable it's a bad thing? It may be unusual that he is a goalie but you can't ask the guy to be the face of the franchise and face the media after every game, win or lose, and not give him a voice in the room. If it happens to be the most influential voice in the room, so be it. You think Patrick Roy never called anyone out in Montreal? Also, Miller consistently praised the guys in front of him the first two months when the media was telling him how great he was ... as long as he gives credit when it is deserved, it will not cause a rift when he calls it like he sees it. He also came right out and said his teammates made him eat his words in the third period against Atlanta, giving them credit for fixing what was wrong earlier in the game. They respond to the guy and echo the things he says ... how is any of this bad?

I agree this team needs to score more and would love to see a deal for a top six forward or D-man to help the PP. I don't think it has to be someone who will cost $8-10 million a year and possibly change the culture of the team on and off the ice.

I tend to agree with the points you made here. And by no means would my choice be swayed by such trivial things as talent, ability to put up points and score goals on a mediocre to crappy team (Kovalchuck :D ), but in the end, I would pay 10 mil a yr for 10 yrs of entertainment from a kovalchuck type player "if" (big, big if I know) you could ascertain that 10 yrs would include 4 or more Championships. Otherwise, I am with you, the cheaper we go, the better off the organization is longterm.

In the end, Kovalchuck will not come here, which in turn, leads me to ponder, what players are available that can be brought in to make an immediate impact. Speculation is the fun part.

There are few players in the league that I would contemplate opening the vault for.

I am not saying that they are ever going to take place.

In no particular order.

•  
  • Kovalchuk
  • Dustin Brown
  • Duncan Keith
  • Phaneuf

Kovalchuk was great again Friday night here and I really think if the opportunity to land him in free agency or via sign-and-trade - you have to take a stab at him.

We have depth at defense, existing roster players and/ or prospects to move.

No one is untouchable except Miller.

I don't see what negatives he would bring to the team.

There are few players in the league that I would contemplate opening the vault for.

In no particular order.

• Kovalchuk
  • Dustin Brown
  • Duncan Keith
  • Phaneuf

Kovalchuk was great again Friday night here and I really think if the opportunity to land him in free agency or via sign-and-trade - you have to take a stab at him.

There is a world of difference between fitting Dustin Brown and his $3.175 million cap number (and his game) into a contending team and having to clear space for a $10 million player who becomes the face of the franchise. All your eggs are now in that basket (a basket that has not carried Atlanta anywhere in 8 years, I might add) and you are not just adding him, you are subtracting who knows what to get him. You are talking about an entirely different team.

And Myers is most definitely untouchable.

In no particular order.

•  
  • Kovalchuk
  • Dustin Brown
  • Duncan Keith
  • Phaneuf

Miller's trade value will probably never be higher... If they wait until he gets shelled in the Olympics, his value will go down. Pull the trigger now... He could probably get a King's ransom..

Archived