GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

R_Dudley

Wow, what a strange game. Here are my thoughts.

• If tonight did not show Ryan Miller as a legitimate Vezina candidate, then I'm not sure what it will take. He's been playing out of his mind so far this season, and the saves he made tonight were absolutely incredible.

• Someone lit a fire under them during the second intermission because they really came out strong in the third. I kind of like this Vanek-Kennedy-Grier line. I noticed Vanek working a lot harder when playing with these two guys and boy was he rewarded with a goal and an assist, all because of hard work. Seriously, folks, Mike Grier's work ethic is infectious on this team and you saw the impact that had on Vanek's game tonight. Grier is a difference maker on this team.

•  
  • Nice to see Tyler Myers atone for his incredibly costly mistake in the third period with 3 assists. What a stupid stupid play, but for a young player, I would have expected that to ruin his entire game. But, he put the bad play behind him and played really well the rest of the game and was rewarded with points in the third. Good for him.

•  
  • Aside from being the worst road team in the NHL, Carolina is quickly proving to be the worst third period team in the NHL. How do you give up 5 goals in the third period on back-to-back nights? Frankly, I hate the Canes, so I could not be happier seeing their downward spiral, but man, that is just horrible.

•  
  • And, I'm not sure if I forgot to mention (read sarcasm), but Miller was phenomenal. I know there are some Miller downers around here, but his season to date and his game tonight really puts him in legitimate contention for the Vezina if he can maintain this pace throughout the season. Also, as an American, this really looks good for the American team come Olympics time as well. Folks, I really believe we are seeing something special with Miller this year.

Not a great game for the Sabres. Any other opponent this was probably a loss. When Grier scored I have no doubt the 'Canes were saying "here we go again." They get away with 2 points with what I don't even know qualifies as a 20 minute effort. That said, bank the two points and get ready for the Leafs. In the end that is all that matters.

• If tonight did not show Ryan Miller as a legitimate Vezina candidate, then I'm not sure what it will take. He's been playing out of his mind so far this season, and the saves he made tonight were absolutely incredible.

• Someone lit a fire under them during the second intermission because they really came out strong in the third. I kind of like this Vanek-Kennedy-Grier line. I noticed Vanek working a lot harder when playing with these two guys and boy was he rewarded with a goal and an assist, all because of hard work. Seriously, folks, Mike Grier's work ethic is infectious on this team and you saw the impact that had on Vanek's game tonight. Grier is a difference maker on this team.

•  
  • Nice to see Tyler Myers atone for his incredibly costly mistake in the third period with 3 assists. What a stupid stupid play, but for a young player, I would have expected that to ruin his entire game. But, he put the bad play behind him and played really well the rest of the game and was rewarded with points in the third. Good for him.

•  
  • Aside from being the worst road team in the NHL, Carolina is quickly proving to be the worst third period team in the NHL. How do you give up 5 goals in the third period on back-to-back nights? Frankly, I hate the Canes, so I could not be happier seeing their downward spiral, but man, that is just horrible.

•  
  • And, I'm not sure if I forgot to mention (read sarcasm), but Miller was phenomenal. I know there are some Miller downers around here, but his season to date and his game tonight really puts him in legitimate contention for the Vezina if he can maintain this pace throughout the season. Also, as an American, this really looks good for the American team come Olympics time as well. Folks, I really believe we are seeing something special with Miller this year.

Nice post! I really liked the bullet points. I agree with everything you wrote, except that I thought Miller was awesome. LOL. I really hope he keeps that GAA below 2.00

I thought Sekara looked great as well. What, two assists, right?

Ruff sounded like Mike Robittalle in his press conference. That's not a good thing

Not a great game for the Sabres. Any other opponent this was probably a loss. When Grier scored I have no doubt the 'Canes were saying "here we go again." They get away with 2 points with what I don't even know qualifies as a 20 minute effort. That said, bank the two points and get ready for the Leafs. In the end that is all that matters.

Just win. That's all ya gotta do.

Good comeback and a hard 3rd for the team.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while... I got no confidence sometimes.

You and Thomas? That was a funny moment in Lindy's presser when he did his Vanek impression (sort of). "I got no confidence!"

Miller's save on The Bod is turning into something special. 1. You have the reaction from the crowd. Pretty unusual in Buffalo, as I've noted. And, yes, the crowd was into it tonight, big time. 2. Lindy's "Dom-like" comment. It reminds me of Dom's save on Mario where the ref had to come over and look in Dom's glove to believe it was really in there. That just felt like a defining moment for Miller's career. The reaction of the crowd, and the bench apparently, just added to it. Unfortunately, it might be a defining moment for this team. I just don't know how far even an elite Miller can take these guys. It should be fun to watch though. Maybe the moment will awaken Darcy to how special this season could be with a little more tweaking.

no. just stating the obvious.

This sabre team needs to play with passion every night and it doesn't surprise me that since Mike Grier has been back in the lineup the Sabres are playing with more intensity.

When we lost Briere and Druiry, we lost the spark that ignited the flame, and the Sabres haven't been the same ever since and its players like Vaneck and Connolly have to provide that spark in my opinion for the Sabres to succeed, and not just on occasion when they feel like it, bring it all the time...

Tim Connolly has it in him to fire this team up and he needs to bring it...

This sabre team needs to play with passion every night and it doesn't surprise me that since Mike Grier has been back in the lineup the Sabres are playing with more intensity.

When we lost Briere and Druiry, we lost the spark that ignited the flame, and the Sabres haven't been the same ever since and its players like Vaneck and Connolly have to provide that spark in my opinion for the Sabres to succeed, and not just on occasion when they feel like it, bring it all the time...

Totally agree. Vanek and Connolly are the alleged leaders of the team (real leaders like Grier notwithstanding) so they need to show up every night. If thwy don't bring it every night, then they deserve all the criticism they get

Good that they found the one team in the league where you can play 20 minutes and still come away with a win. Actually, it was a bit like 2006-07 in that way. How many times in that season did they have a couple of terrible periods to start the game, then win it with a big third? I didn't like it then (the play, not the results) and I don't like it now. Oh well, it's a win.

Edit: nice to see both Ottawa and Boston get points in their three-point game. :thumbdown:

When a player makes the kind of money that Vanek makes, he doesn't need my spin, or anyone else's spin. He just needs to produce, day in and day out. If you think that describes Vanek, then god love you. Personally I think vanek is a major disappointment. If he had scored when the Sabres were down 1-0 then that would be a great thing. But he scored when the team was up 4-1 with just a few minutes to go. You can spin that any way you want, but a garbage time goal is a garbage time goal. I want to see him score when the chips are down and the team needs a lift.

So, in your opinion any goal that's not a game tying goal or a game winner is garbage?

Do you watch other hockey teams play?

Do you think Iginla, Crosby, Nash, or Ovechkin agree with your analysis of what a quality NHL goal is?

Your argument defies hockey logic. It's a team game and nobody cares at what point of the game the goal is scored.

This isn't the NBA where Kobe Bryant or Lebron James get the last shot of every tight game....

So just got back from the game...

Crowd noise.. First period.. Dudsville.. No emotion in the building.. People sitting on their hands...

Second period.. Crowd came alive after some great Miller saves and the five on three PK.

Third period... Hard not to cheer a deluge of goals.. Loudest cheers saved for Miller and some huge saves.

Tyler had THE WORST GIVEAWAY of the season.

Great game to take the family to.

That seals it. I can no longer be a Ryan Miller hater. He was out of his mind tonight and has been stellar this season. Give me an effort from the rest of the team that was as good as Miller's and this is a playoff contender.

If the rest of the team gives an effort as good as miller, they're more than a playoff contender -- they're a Stanly Cup favorite. But that's a might big if.

So, in your opinion any goal that's not a game tying goal or a game winner is garbage?

Do you think Iginla, Crosby, Nash, or Ovechkin agree with your analysis of what a quality NHL goal is?

Your argument defies hockey logic. It's a team game and nobody cares at what point of the game the goal is scored.

This isn't the NBA where Kobe Bryant or Lebron James get the last shot of every tight game....

Did you see Vanek pump his fist when he scored? He looked like one of those NFL clowns who sacks a quarterback when his team is down 51 to 3. Sorry, but when you score the the fifth goal of a 5-1 game, don't act like you just did something special. Speaking of Ovechkin, didn't he score the first goal of a 2-0 victory over the Sabres? That's a goal, not the fifth goal of a 5-1 game. If you are content to have the highest paid player on the team score a goal when the game is essentially over, then good for you. As for me, I expect more.

If the rest of the team gives an effort as good as miller, they're more than a playoff contender -- they're a Stanly Cup favorite. But that's a might big if.

I just wonder when the light is going to come on for the rest of this team. There could be something special happening here.

I just wonder when the light is going to come on for the rest of this team.

Isn't that the $64,000 question? If the rest of the team could only realize that success comes only with hard work, then we could be witnessing something special.

Although I haven't heard from any of the above mentioned people,I'm pretty sure that they would agree that scoring the fifth goal of a 5-1 game is not something that qualifies as a "quality" NHL goal.

• Someone lit a fire under them during the second intermission because they really came out strong in the third.

• Nice to see Tyler Myers atone for his incredibly costly mistake in the third period with 3 assists.

[*]And, I'm not sure if I forgot to mention (read sarcasm), but Miller was phenomenal. I know there are some Miller downers around here, but his season to date and his game tonight really puts him in legitimate contention for the Vezina if he can maintain this pace throughout the season. Also, as an American, this really looks good for the American team come Olympics time as well. Folks, I really believe we are seeing something special with Miller this year.

It probably was this guy named Ruff that lit the fire, and Myers definitely made up for a horrible (as you pointed out) mistake. As for the Olympics, well, it's either Miller or Thomas, right? Neither has a weak argument. I know who I want back there, though, because I want a USA medal: Miller.

Totally agree. Vanek and Connolly are the alleged leaders of the team (real leaders like Grier notwithstanding) so they need to show up every night. If thwy don't bring it every night, then they deserve all the criticism they get

Vanek and Connolly are not the leaders of the team, allegedly or otherwise. They are skill players who are supposed to put the puck in the net. Grier is a leader. Rivet is a leader. Vanek? No. Not his job. (Ok, if you mean "leader" as in "leads the team in points," yes, that's his job, but I didn't read it that way.) Vanek is supposed to just play great hockey. Connolly, apparently, is supposed to hang out in bars. Unfortunately, Vanek is not doing as well as Connolly is at those tasks right now.

That seals it. I can no longer be a Ryan Miller hater. He was out of his mind tonight and has been stellar this season. Give me an effort from the rest of the team that was as good as Miller's and this is a playoff contender.

This team should be a playoff contender even with an average goalie. But you never "hated" Miller; I've read enough of your posts. You didn't think he was "elite" before tonight, and I didn't either. He sure looked freaking great tonight. His positioning is the best of any Sabre goalie I've ever seen.

Did you see Vanek pump his fist when he scored? He looked like one of those NFL clowns who sacks a quarterback when his team is down 51 to 3. Sorry, but when you score the the fifth goal of a 5-1 game, don't act like you just did something special. Speaking of Ovechkin, didn't he score the first goal of a 2-0 victory over the Sabres? That's a goal, not the fifth goal of a 5-1 game. If you are content to have the highest paid player on the team score a goal when the game is essentially over, then good for you. As for me, I expect more.

He pumped his fist because he's in a slump and is trying to get out of it. He was grinning ear-to-ear and celebrating with teammates. It wasn't primadonna BS, IMO. I actually don't see that attitude in him. I'll bet he's more frustrated with himself than we are with him.

He pumped his fist because he's in a slump and is trying to get out of it. He was grinning ear-to-ear and celebrating with teammates. It wasn't primadonna BS, IMO. I actually don't see that attitude in him. I'll bet he's more frustrated with himself than we are with him.

This.

I was happy for Thomas when he scored. I think that boy has mental issues a lot of us wouldn't understand - and I'm not saying he's loony, I'm saying I bet he doesn't know how to lighten up.

As for he and Connolly being leaders, I can see it, especially over Pominville. Connolly has been "bringing it" a lot this season - more than I expected of him. For being the Tin Man, he's checking, he's blocking shots, he's not whimping out of the physical play. Vanek has been the same way for a month or so now, too.

I wonder if Grier is showing these guys how to be leaders. They haven't had his kind of influence since 06-07 and now that they're both a little older and a little wiser they're paying attention to what a real leader does. I don't think they even considered or appreciated "leadership" prior to 08-09.

And I don't think Rivet is nearly the leader that Grier is. Which is not to say I dislike Rivet, but he doesn't come off as strong a personality as Grier does.

Who knows? This is clearly all speculation.

And I kind of like that Ruff is obviously a "different" Ruff this season. His style didn't work in 07-08 or 08-09 so he'd be a fool not to try a different approach. You know, if Ruff turned a near loss into a third period scoring-fest in front of the home crowd, then I'd say he's on to something. The last two seasons this team would have sulked their way through the third and would have come up with excuses for the loss.

When a player makes the kind of money that Vanek makes, he doesn't need my spin, or anyone else's spin. He just needs to produce, day in and day out. If you think that describes Vanek, then god love you. Personally I think vanek is a major disappointment. If he had scored when the Sabres were down 1-0 then that would be a great thing. But he scored when the team was up 4-1 with just a few minutes to go. You can spin that any way you want, but a garbage time goal is a garbage time goal. I want to see him score when the chips are down and the team needs a lift.

I agree with all of this. I'll take the goal, because it might be the one that gets him going, but I don't see how anyone can pretend that this goal was as good as one last week against Boston, Ottawa or Washington would've been.

I kind of like this Vanek-Kennedy-Grier line. I noticed Vanek working a lot harder when playing with these two guys and boy was he rewarded with a goal and an assist, all because of hard work. Seriously, folks, Mike Grier's work ethic is infectious on this team and you saw the impact that had on Vanek's game tonight. Grier is a difference maker on this team.

That line all of a sudden looked pretty dangerous. I'm on board with Vanek staying on that line next game and Hecht playing with Roy and Stafford. And Grier is great.

I'll agree with 11 on this. TC does a lot of things well, and some very well, but firing up the team ain't one of them. Not gonna happen.

Lighten up. No need to start questioning anyone's bona fides. That goal's "garbage time" designation isn't really controversial.

I just wonder when the light is going to come on for the rest of this team. There could be something special happening here.

Is that...optimism? And even with Lindy holding them back?

It probably was this guy named Ruff that lit the fire, and Myers definitely made up for a horrible (as you pointed out) mistake. As for the Olympics, well, it's either Miller or Thomas, right? Neither has a weak argument. I know who I want back there, though, because I want a USA medal: Miller.

Good post, as always. I'm really looking forward to the Olympics. Team USA riding Miller to a medal and an upset of either Canada or Russia would be amazing.

Vanek and Connolly are not the leaders of the team, allegedly or otherwise. They are skill players who are supposed to put the puck in the net. Grier is a leader. Rivet is a leader. Vanek? No. Not his job. (Ok, if you mean "leader" as in "leads the team in points," yes, that's his job, but I didn't read it that way.) Vanek is supposed to just play great hockey. Connolly, apparently, is supposed to hang out in bars. Unfortunately, Vanek is not doing as well as Connolly is at those tasks right now.

I'm not so sure on Connolly. Take a look at the stories of the reaction from other players last year when he re-signed. He is someone most of the Sabres love having around. Whether it's a leadership thing, I don't know, but it says something.

You're on the right track here. The entire team was fired up. Heaven forbid they show a little emotion. With just a shred of that emotion, they don't have that 0-3-1 stretch.

Have you ever seen Ovechkin celebrate a goal? He celebrates every goal as if it is a Cup winner. Vanek is usually low key when he scores. Could be the team was pumped in the 3rd. Nothing wrong with that. Relax.

Just cause:

1. How many times does this team give up a quality chance on the PP? Seems like they give up a very dangerous opportunity to the other team frequently. That save Miller made on the PP last night was out of his mind, insanely good.

2. Conversely, when was the last time this team scored a SHG? The Sabres are overdue for one.

3. The blind, thru your legs drop pass Tyler made for the Cullen goal was the prettiest wrapped giveaway I've seen in sometime.

4. The first period was brutal to watch. I don't know how many turnovers the Sabres had last night, but many of them were in the first. They played a much better second (even though they were outshot) and a wild third.

5. I had no problem with Vanek's reaction to the goal. Nice to see him get one cause he missed a golden chance earlier.

6. Two PPGs.. Nice.

7. Nearly even in faceoffs. Not bad considering Gaustad wasn't in the game.

8. Buffalo needs Icegirls. Was in Dallas last week watching a game. Dallas has gorgeous Icegirls. Icegirls make the timeout ice cleanup process much more interesting.

9. God forbid if there is ever an emergency in HSBC. Getting out of the 300s takes a long time. There doesn't appear to be enough egress capacity to get people out of the building fast.

10. Philly 4-2, Carolina 5-1, Bills? Come on Bills, complete the trifecta... Please..

Nice job Sabres!!!

Dont want to get into "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", so here's an observation. In the 3rd, Vanek was on a line with Greir and Kennedy. Any one else thinking back to when Drury, was with Greir? I really liked this line, for the short time they were together. Maybe Ruff has something here.

Archived