GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I can count on one hand how many times the Sabres were the beneficiary of the back to back fatigue syndrome. Other teams never seem to be phased as much as the Sabres are.

I am making this back-to-back game fiasco a personal campaign of mine - here's the stats:

- Last season, we had a total of 18 back-to-back sets, a total of 36 games with 72 points at stake.

The breakdown of points taken is as follows: 4pts x 2, 3pts x 3, 2pts x 8, 1pt x 1, 0pts x 3 =
34 points

- This season, we have a total of 18 back-to-back sets again, 72 points at stake again.

So far we have had three back-to-back games, and we have
4 of the 12 points
on offer.

The numbers have spoken, now the team has to show up and prove me wrong.

I can count on one hand how many times the Sabres were the beneficiary of the back to back fatigue syndrome. Other teams never seem to be phased as much as the Sabres are.

That would be because the Sabres play a soft style. It's easy to get through that second game when you are not being challenged physically.

I know it's only game #15. This has to be as much of a must win as a game can be this early. With Calgary and Philly on the weekend? This two game losing streak can turn to five real quick.

I was thinking this very thing. Teams know they can push the sabres around, withou much effort

We heard a lot about the Sabres being more difficult to play against early in the season. I don't see that as true the past few weeks. It may turn out the Sabres weren't tougher. Their schedule was just softer.

We heard a lot about the Sabres being more difficult to play against early in the season. I don't see that as true the past few weeks. It may turn out the Sabres weren't tougher. Their schedule was just softer.

Agreed. It's easy to get off to a fast start when you're playing weak teams, having lots of rest time between games, and having few injuries. Adding Grier, Kennedy, Myers, and Montador doesn't seem to be enough because - let's be honest here - our top 2 lines are the biggest bunch of underacheiving mental softies in the league right now. Roy and Pominville in particular. These guys are flat out robbing Golisano.

Agreed. It's easy to get off to a fast start when you're playing weak teams, having lots of rest time between games, and having few injuries. Adding Grier, Kennedy, Myers, and Montador doesn't seem to be enough because - let's be honest here - our top 2 lines are the biggest bunch of underacheiving mental softies in the league right now. Roy and Pominville in particular. These guys are flat out robbing Golisano.

If Vanek isn't robbing Golisano, I don't know who is.......It's not even the lack of goals, it is the lack of play-making altogether.....

With the Oliers having played last night; Pouliot, Stone, Horcuff, Souray, Hemsky and Jacques all out of the lineup and losing 6 of their last 7 on the road...

With the Sabres fresh, flu-less, realizing a big win will make them feel better...

7-1 Sabres, 3 in the first period. :thumbsup:

oh please...

Really? The Sabres are an American team? I've never understood the "USA USA USA" mentality at NHL games. It's beyond retarded. So is not knowing, apparently, that Canada has been our military ally and also celebrates Veterans Day. So yeah, on Veterans Day, let's kick a little Canadian ass!!! Ohhhahhhh. Ugly American defined.

Really? The Sabres are an American team? I've never understood the "USA USA USA" mentality at NHL games. It's beyond retarded. So is not knowing, apparently, that Canada has been our military ally and also celebrates Veterans Day. So yeah, on Veterans Day, let's kick a little Canadian ass!!! Ohhhahhhh. Ugly American defined.

All he meant was that he wanted the Sabres to beat Edmonton tonight. Settle down, chopper.

Roy and Pominville in particular. These guys are flat out robbing Golisano.

Per dollar, Roy is giving you a lot more than Pommer or Vanek. It's just that with his contract being so cheap and his performance in the past (especially spring of 2008), when he's not giving you great value, it means that he's underachieving.

As for the toughness question, I've said all along that they haven't addressed the toughness in the top 6, who should be playing 2/3 of your minutes. So, either you play them that much and you are very soft, or you play them less and you don't have enough skill. Against the easier teams early on, either one was still sufficient to win, but neither has been (or has just barely been) over the last 5 or 6 games. I would love to hope that Kassian will make a jump next season like Myers did this season, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe Foligno's kid will overachieve.

Mentally weak teams are "fazed", not "phased" by adversity. (Sorry, but you've been playing with fire with all the grammar/spelling posts lately.)

I am making this back-to-back game fiasco a personal campaign of mine - here's the stats:

- Last season, we had a total of 18 back-to-back sets, a total of 36 games with 72 points at stake.

The breakdown of points taken is as follows: 4pts x 2, 3pts x 3, 2pts x 8, 1pt x 1, 0pts x 3 =
34 points

- This season, we have a total of 18 back-to-back sets again, 72 points at stake again.

So far we have had three back-to-back games, and we have
4 of the 12 points
on offer.

The numbers have spoken, now the team has to show up and prove me wrong.

Good post.

That would be because the Sabres play a soft style. It's easy to get through that second game when you are not being challenged physically.

I know it's only game #15. This has to be as much of a must win as a game can be this early. With Calgary and Philly on the weekend? This two game losing streak can turn to five real quick.

Well, the soft style is a legitimate point, but I sorta see it as the flip side of the Sabres playing poorly when they have back-to-backs -- ie a mentally weak team looking for reasons to underperform.

A bit overstated, but they have been pretty disappointing so far. I do think TC and Roy have picked it up lately, but not enough, Pommer less so, MacArthur has disappeared, and Vanek and Stafford have been mostly just lousy.

He's not a playmaker. He's a goal scorer. He can't carry the play, dominate the game or dictate flow.

SSSSShhhhhhhhhhh! He'll hear you!

As for the toughness question, I've said all along that they haven't addressed the toughness in the top 6, who should be playing 2/3 of your minutes. So, either you play them that much and you are very soft, or you play them less and you don't have enough skill. Against the easier teams early on, either one was still sufficient to win, but neither has been (or has just barely been) over the last 5 or 6 games. I would love to hope that Kassian will make a jump next season like Myers did this season, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe Foligno's kid will overachieve.

Good post, as always. It doesn't sound like Kassian is going to be an early bloomer like Myers though. A Lucic clone making the team next year as a top 6 forward would certainly be like manna from heaven.

Archived