What is wrong with Vanek

novascotiaguy

I'm sure there are examples on both sides of the fence, but Paul Kariya had logged 3 40+ goal seasons by the time he was 25, but after that he became a low 30 goal scorer at best for the rest of his career. Vanek's contract combined with the fact he has shown more signs of becoming one dimensional in the offensive zone, makes me wonder what the future holds for him.

Kariya got hit in the head a few too many times though. Who knows what might have happened if that wasn't the case.

What a**hole writes an autobiography at 25?

An ahole that has rock star status in his homeland. I know it's hard for us to grasp given what we're used to in the West but Vanek is one of, if not THE most, recognized people in Austria. And some savy publisher sees an opportunity to capitalize on his popularity. I'm sure his book will do well in that part of the world. Oh, and Minnesota,too.

GO SABRES!!!

An ahole that has rock star status in his homeland. I know it's hard for us to grasp given what we're used to in the West but Vanek is one of, if not THE most, recognized people in Austria. And some savy publisher sees an opportunity to capitalize on his popularity. I'm sure his book will do well in that part of the world. Oh, and Minnesota,too.

GO SABRES!!!

Minnesota won't care all that much. They've had plenty of those players. Remember, he was only there for 2 years and one national championship. Hell, most of his teammates doubled that.

Thank you. Personally, I think it's a non-issue. Thankfully we're not one of the teams that has to rely on one or two guys to get it done. IF Vanek is getting less playing time because of his performance, well so be it. It obviously hasn't hurt us that much. I think he'll come around, but I don't think Lindy needs to give him maximum playing time to "force" him out of a slump.

My thought on Vanek and his play to date is suck it up old buddy. I did'nt see Adam Mair go cry in a corner after being put on waivers. prove you desrve more ice time!

My thought on Vanek and his play to date is suck it up old buddy. I did'nt see Adam Mair go cry in a corner after being put on waivers. prove you desrve more ice time!

I think maybe all the fame and fortune went to his head. He needs to watch a game or two from the press box. He'll come around. This is where the "veteran leadership" would come in. You need a Grier or a Rivet to pull Thomas aside in practice and let him know that he's not pulling his share of the load. Either that or keep shooting pucks at his head until he starts scoring.......

GO SABRES!!!

Vanek needs to make something of his NHL career before he starts writing about his life. He's had a couple good seasons and thinks he deserves to write an autobiography? Ray Bourque should write an autobiography. Wayne Gretzky probably already has. Chris Chelios should write one. Dominik Hasek should write one. I think when Brodeur retires he should write one. Thomas Vanek hasn't done anything worth writing about except make it to the NHL. Big freakin' deal Tommy. You know who else made it to the NHL? Chris Neil. He hasn't written an autobiography yet.

Maybe that's Vanek's problem. A false sense of accomplishment.

Vanek isn't scoring on the pace that everyone would like to see but then again either is any of the top two lines. Vanek has played a more solid all around game than last year and it's only a matter of time before he starts lighting the lamp more often. Or at least that's what all us sabres fans are hoping for. As long as this team keeps on winning with contributions from the entire team I will be happy.

Vanek isn't scoring on the pace that everyone would like to see but then again either is any of the top two lines. Vanek has played a more solid all around game than last year and it's only a matter of time before he starts lighting the lamp more often. Or at least that's what all us sabres fans are hoping for. As long as this team keeps on winning with contributions from the entire team I will be happy.

That's certainly the common perception we all have (including me) but I was surprised to see a stat in The Hockey News' latest issue that listed Boston and Buffalo in a 1st place tie for teams that get the greatest percentage of scoring from their top 6 forwards (based on ice time) - each had 36.8% of their offense provided by that group. The Sabres have 98 points from their top 6 and 57 points from the rest of the forwards. Again, it's based on the 6 forwards with the most ice time per game, not the top 6 scorers.

Go figure.

Someone needs to be the whipping boy of the fans. Someone has to be. It's just his turn based on expectation.

It couldn't have been too regular, Vanek has never averaged more than 3 shots per game in any season.

He still had his shotless games in those years that brought his average for the season down but he also had far more games where he registered a ton of shots than he has this year. In 18 of his 37 games this season, he's registered 2 or fewer shots. No one is going to score 40 goals taking that few a quantity of shots in half of the games they play.

He still had his shotless games in those years that brought his average for the season down but he also had far more games where he registered a ton of shots than he has this year. In 18 of his 37 games this season, he's registered 2 or fewer shots. No one is going to score 40 goals taking that few a quantity of shots in half of the games they play.

Without venturing an opinion on this theory, I will say that, having had it convincingly refuted with hard data, the burden is on you to respond with equally specific numbers to prove your point -- not vaguenesses like "he had shotless games but also far more games with a ton of shots."

Carry on.

GO SABRES!!!

+1

I guarantee this was not his idea but some opportunity hound who convinced him to let them write it. Now whether he should have deferred or denied is really the only debate but with me,he sure is not writing it himself.

I think maybe all the fame and fortune went to his head. He needs to watch a game or two from the press box. He'll come around. This is where the "veteran leadership" would come in. You need a Grier or a Rivet to pull Thomas aside in practice and let him know that he's not pulling his share of the load. Either that or keep shooting pucks at his head until he starts scoring.......

Since we are talking about what is wrong with his game this is a excellant starting point. I think of a couple of my nephew's maturity at 25 and how they would handle something like this and I see how it could be a bit overwhelming and mess with your priorities. Add a new marriage, parenthood/being a daddy and owning a minor league hockey team in Minn with one of his old buddies in the same year and I see way too much other stuff on his plate right now besides hockey.

Specifically regarding his play and as other's have noted he looks so much slower out there compared to last year. To me he looks a lot larger / possibly over weight compared to how he came back the previous season. That makes me wonder what kind of shape he came back in this year. Last the noticeable difference in his skating ability speed could also be some lingering side effect to the injuries he has had as noted by Lindy even shutting him down for a few games a short while back.

So given what we know about his up side and the fact I think all of this would be forgiven if he get's hot just before and in the playoff's, I say the devil ya know is better than the one you don't and I vote for keeping him.

Without venturing an opinion on this theory, I will say that, having had it convincingly refuted with hard data, the burden is on you to respond with equally specific numbers to prove your point -- not vaguenesses like "he had shotless games but also far more games with a ton of shots."

Carry on.

+1-1-1+1+1+1-1-1+1-1+1-1+1

Carry on.

Facts suck. :blink:

Ya, what this guy said. Hey, thats an idea, lets put Vanek on Waivers :doh: .

And an Autobiography? Come on man, get real here. No wonder he sucks every game, spending late nights writing about his "Long" journey to achieve super rock star Austrian style status.

Trade this bums @$$. If its books he's into, I got the most recent copy of Webster's I'd like to introduce him too, and a couple of my friends said they'll bring the new Erie county Phone books for supporting material :death: :lol: .

Trade this bums @$$. If its books he's into, I got the most recent copy of Webster's I'd like to introduce him too, and a couple of my friends said they'll bring the new Erie county Phone books for supporting material :death: :lol: .

:blink:.. <_<

Minnesota won't care all that much. They've had plenty of those players. Remember, he was only there for 2 years and one national championship. Hell, most of his teammates doubled that.

My toungue was planted firmly in cheek about Minnesota giving a rat's ass about Vanek's life story.

GO SABRES!!!

Vanek needs to make something of his NHL career before he starts writing about his life. He's had a couple good seasons and thinks he deserves to write an autobiography? Ray Bourque should write an autobiography. Wayne Gretzky probably already has. Chris Chelios should write one. Dominik Hasek should write one. I think when Brodeur retires he should write one. Thomas Vanek hasn't done anything worth writing about except make it to the NHL. Big freakin' deal Tommy. You know who else made it to the NHL? Chris Neil. He hasn't written an autobiography yet.

Maybe that's Vanek's problem. A false sense of accomplishment.

I seriously doubt it was Vanek's idea to write this book. Of course he could have said no but I'm positive the publisher is just seeking to take advantage of his status in Austria and other parts of Europe. Nobody gives a crap here.

GO SABRES!!!

Archived