What is wrong with Vanek

novascotiaguy

I remember because it was the first year in along time someone other than Gretsky or Lemieux won the Pearson.

It's kind of funny that it was the highest all time non-Gretzky/Lemieux point total, but he still only finished 3rd in league scoring. That, and Yzerman never won an Art Ross. I'd wager a guess that most people don't remember him for that season, but instead for what he did almost 10 years later in finally carrying the team to multiple cups.

I'd wager a guess that most people don't remember him for that season, but instead for what he did almost 10 years later in finally carrying the team to multiple cups.

No doubt. People sometimes forget how elite a goal-scorer he was in his youth, before he became one of the great two-way players of his era. About the time Turgeon was being quietly dangled by the Sabres, there was a big rumor around town that it was Yzerman, not LaFontaine, who was Buffalo-bound. It now seems unimaginable and I'm not sure how much truth there was to that, but it was before Stevie Y. became the icon he is today, with Detroit a perennial struggler.

No doubt. People sometimes forget how elite a goal-scorer he was in his youth, before he became one of the great two-way players of his era. About the time Turgeon was being quietly dangled by the Sabres, there was a big rumor around town that it was Yzerman, not LaFontaine, who was Buffalo-bound. It now seems unimaginable and I'm not sure how much truth there was to that, but it was before Stevie Y. became the icon he is today, with Detroit a perennial struggler.

That and nobody ever remembers the guy who finishes 3rd in scoring.

Guest Sloth

What's wrong with Thomas Vanek? Two words: Derek Roy.

I agree. Vanek does not have a setup man. For Vanek to score 40+ goals, Darcy has to go for a very good center. Derek Roy should not be on the first line. The guy is a second line center at best.

I agree. Vanek does not have a setup man. For Vanek to score 40+ goals, Darcy has to go for a very good center. Derek Roy should not be on the first line. The guy is a second line center at best.

This sums it up perfectly...... :beer:

I couldn't disagree more. Roy was the feed man for those two 40 goal seasons.

Its not Roy, I believe it was Vaneks injuries this past season which dropped production.

Whats even more troubling than that is the fact for 3 seasons now that line has not had a RWer step up and contribute at even remotely close to the same point level as those 2 players. If I see Stafford on the RW with Roy and Vanek again this season it would just go to prove the ineptness of not only Regier, but Ruff as well.

Why is everyone so upset, Darcy did alot, he signed 5 great players Tim Conboy for $550,000 great numbers 0 goals, 6 assists for 6 pts in 59 games. Did better with a good player for the Power play in Cody McCormick for $500,000 he has better numbers with 9 Goals, 21 ######, for 30 pts in 190 games, and how about this guy, Rob Niedermayer and his 181 goals, 269 ######, for 450 pts go with his career +/- of -115 in just 1082 games big numbers, but the best deal of the year was Jordan leopold $9m for 3 yrs, the great Off D-man we needed and his career avg in pts is 19 per season and his +/- is -17 super numbers. "GREAT JOB DARCY"

Why is everyone so upset, Darcy did alot, he signed 5 great players Tim Conboy for $550,000 great numbers 0 goals, 6 assists for 6 pts in 59 games. Did better with a good player for the Power play in Cody McCormick for $500,000 he has better numbers with 9 Goals, 21 ######, for 30 pts in 190 games, and how about this guy, Rob Niedermayer and his 181 goals, 269 ######, for 450 pts go with his career +/- of -115 in just 1082 games big numbers, but the best deal of the year was Jordan leopold $9m for 3 yrs, the great Off D-man we needed and his career avg in pts is 19 per season and his +/- is -17 super numbers. "GREAT JOB DARCY"

cool story bro!

Vanek has not stepped up his play to be the consistent goal scorer he is. Two out of 5 seasons has he met or exceeded the 40 goal mark. That is pitiful.

I read around various places claiming he should have more minutes so he can score. If he wants more minutes to score, he needs to produce in the time he has already.

Vanek has not stepped up his play to be the consistent goal scorer he is. Two out of 5 seasons has he met or exceeded the 40 goal mark. That is pitiful.

I read around various places claiming he should have more minutes so he can score. If he wants more minutes to score, he needs to produce in the time he has already.

Over those same 5 seasons, only 9 players total have scored more than 40 twice: Ovechkin (5 times), Kovalchuk (5), Heatley (3), Gaborik (2), Staal (2), Hossa (2), Selanne (2), Gagne (2), and Vanek (2). He hasn't performed quite as well as we would have liked, but that is pretty elite company right there. Pitiful is just a bit strong, don't you think?

As for producing in the time he has, PA has some numbers he likes to post a lot. I hope he sees this and breaks those out again.

Over those same 5 seasons, only 9 players total have scored more than 40 twice: Ovechkin (5 times), Kovalchuk (5), Heatley (3), Gaborik (2), Staal (2), Hossa (2), Selanne (2), Gagne (2), and Vanek (2). He hasn't performed quite as well as we would have liked, but that is pretty elite company right there. Pitiful is just a bit strong, don't you think?

As for producing in the time he has, PA has some numbers he likes to post a lot. I hope he sees this and breaks those out again.

Imagine if he played with a real #1 center.

Archived