GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Strow

Holy crap, I must have zoned out for a period of time, when the heck did he get hurt? That was how boring that game was, I missed a whole injury?

40+ shots on goal is boring?

Maybe you should watch golf tomorrow afternoon to see what boring is...

Veteran players buying into the defensive system (finally), combined with stellar goaltending and timely goals = a playoff berth.

Let the Rangers or Sharks or some other perennial playoff failures score all the goals. I'll take this style and ride it all the way to the playoffs.

I think we have a little time before we have to worry about this.

I doubt this guy ever plays in another uniform.. They think he is the big d man that you build from..He is just scratching the surface of how good he can be..It wont be long before he plays 27-30 minutes a game..He is good enuff already that he makes Tallinder look average

I doubt this guy ever plays in another uniform.. They think he is the big d man that you build from..He is just scratching the surface of how good he can be..It wont be long before he plays 27-30 minutes a game..He is good enuff already that he makes Tallinder look average

If that hard to do?

I thought I watched the perfect Buffalo Sabres game last night. With the one exception of that clean breakaway short handed by the Preds, the Sabres played a brilliant game. Sure we all would love to see a 4-0 shutout, but come on people, these guys are blistering the opposing goalies. Those goals will come. They are limiting the chances in their own end without having to block a ton of shots. The one thing that stands out game to game is the faceoffs. Losing faceoff after faceoff will catch up with this team. They should invest a significant amount of practice time practicing draws.

The best line was Hecht-Kennedy-Grier, what I can't get over is how they dominated so much of play without winning a faceoff.....I think they won possession on nearly every shift they played and managed to throw it on net. Kennedy was the best forward on the ice.

This team has dominated the neutral zone....and they are making dump-ins against them really tough. Over the last two years teams have been dumped the puck against the backhand side of the Sabres D and have watched the Sabres run around.....The right handed shot on each D pairing is really paying dividends. It also let's them spread the ice to kill enemy fore-checks. They have been so good that we are going to start seeing teams trap rather than fore-check.

Myers is much better than I think anyone anticipated. He made some beautiful passes in the neutral zone up ice to help forwards win the zone. He's a keeper.

This was a very well played and disciplined road game. Only one minor penalty that wasn't offset...this is a very good formula to pick up road points.

Caught the last 3/4 of the third period.

It has already been mentioned but - WTF is up with the less-than-standard definition broadcast.

I picked up better reception of games from CBC channel 5 with rabbit ears on a B&W TV twenty years ago.

It is a goddamn disgrace to the fans of this game to have to deal with this crap in 2009...almost 2010!!!

For those of you who shell out for center ice, I hope there is some respite

Tell me the broadcast is better...please!

This is still Gary Bettman's NHL.

For someone who is so dedicated to reaching new fans in the rest of the continent and abroad......I digress...

Looks like they have a good thing going here.

Lindy has them playing with some patience and consistency.

My only beef from the fifteen-or-so minutes I saw was Derek Roy's cross-ice giveaway, IN HIS OWN END, after Grier's go-ahead goal.

C'mon Derek, use the boards.

He has been around along enough now to not make that mistake anymore.

I am happy with the team's start.

Getting points in all three games so far is good.

Keep it up.

Cup runner-ups on Tuesday in OUR barn. Get it done.

Will Brad May dress?

- I am impressed with Montador's ability to skate the puck out of the zone, but I'd like to see him be more physical. I know he is willing to drop the gloves, but I want to see him be physical along the boards.

Last night was the first complete game I watched and I have to say, that guy's game scares the bejesus out of me. I counted 4 or 5 terrible plays in his own end.

40+ shots on goal is boring?

I'll take this style and ride it all the way to the playoffs.

I agree - the game wasn't boring as a whole (the second period was a bit ragged) - it generally had nice pace and a good number of chances - if this team plays that style and generates that many shots, more goals will come.

Myers is much better than I think anyone anticipated. He made some beautiful passes in the neutral zone up ice to help forwards win the zone. He's a keeper.

I am stunned at and delighted with his level of play -- let's hope he keeps it up (he's bound to struggle at some point in the next couple of months).

Caught the last 3/4 of the third period.

It has already been mentioned but - WTF is up with the less-than-standard definition broadcast.

I picked up better reception of games from CBC channel 5 with rabbit ears on a B&W TV twenty years ago.

It is a goddamn disgrace to the fans of this game to have to deal with this crap in 2009...almost 2010!!!

For those of you who shell out for center ice, I hope there is some respite

Tell me the broadcast is better...please!

It was not.

This is still Gary Bettman's NHL.

For someone who is so dedicated to reaching new fans in the rest of the continent and abroad......I digress...

Eh, with poor quality broadcasts and 1-0 games, it really sells itself.

Looks like they have a good thing going here.

Lindy has them playing with some patience and consistency.

My only beef from the fifteen-or-so minutes I saw was Derek Roy's cross-ice giveaway, IN HIS OWN END, after Grier's go-ahead goal.

C'mon Derek, use the boards.

He has been around along enough now to not make that mistake anymore.

It wasn't just him. There were plenty of those to go around. Shakira's was the worst.

I am happy with the team's start.

Getting points in all three games so far is good.

Keep it up.

Will Brad May dress?

ROCKEM SABRES!

Last night was the first complete game I watched and I have to say, that guy's game scares the bejesus out of me. I counted 4 or 5 terrible plays in his own end.

Agreed on Montador, I don't think he has been good at all. He doesn't really look like he knows what he's doing out there sometimes.

Will Brad May dress?

By the way - for the 500K that May signed for with the Wings, he would have been a nice pickup for the Sabres to add a little "character" to the team. Not to mention that it would have been nice to have Brad May play his (possibly) last year back in Buffalo. Ah, well.....

I am willing to bet this style of play has been influenced heavily by Mike Babcock...Ruff has spent a lot of time with him at Team Canada and this puck possession, outshoot the other team by 15-20 shots a game style is exactly the same one they use...

Albeit with more talented overall rosters...

Then comes Tuesday night. I'd like to see if we can pull this one off.

Who knows? Maybe our old friend swedishconnection will be back. For a Detroit fan, he was really cool the last time I saw him on here (way back in 2006).

Hmm...... from today's NHL.com recap... "After stopping 41 of 42 shots against in a losing effort against Buffalo Saturday, Rinne allowed the four first period goals on just nine Edmonton shots. Dan Ellis(notes) replaced Rinne at the start of the second period."

Did Rinne have the night of his life or are the Sabres pounding shots on net practicing quantity not quality? I'm still of the opinion that blistering a goalie will pay off.. But this statement does lend credence to the quality of the shot isn't there..

Archived