GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Strow

I thought Kennedy had a good game. Even Vanek finally decided to show up, despite not scoring. Hecht - well, I saw him complete some checks in the third, which is an improvement.

Myers is our next offensive defense man - something LR has been wanting since the Sabres got rid of Soupy.

Butler can hold the blue line well, but I think what we're seeing from him is an attempt to become more offensive than he's perhaps ready to handle. He has said that's a part of his game he wants to improve upon.

Sabres are averaging outshooting their opponents by over 16 shots a game so far...Has Lindy adopted something he has learned from coaching with Mike Babcock with Team Canada? This is basically Detroit's method of playing...outshoot the opponents by a ton each game, limit chances and eventually win...

I thought Kennedy had a good game. Even Vanek finally decided to show up, despite not scoring. Hecht - well, I saw him complete some checks in the third, which is an improvement.

Myers is our next offensive defense man - something LR has been wanting since the Sabres got rid of Soupy.

Butler can hold the blue line well, but I think what we're seeing from him is an attempt to become more offensive than he's perhaps ready to handle. He has said that's a part of his game he wants to improve upon.

Got to see only the last 2 minutes of the second and the third, I like their defensive commitment.

Wow, they have won two low scoring one goal games in a row. That's something they rarely pulled off over the last few yrs. Kudos to the team and Miller. They are getting plenty of shots and chances so that bodes well for some goal scoring in the near future.

Wow, they have won two low scoring one goal games in a row. That's something they rarely pulled off over the last few yrs. Kudos to the team and Miller. They are getting plenty of shots and chances so that bodes well for some goal scoring in the near future.

I am willing to bet this style of play has been influenced heavily by Mike Babcock...Ruff has spent a lot of time with him at Team Canada and this puck possession, outshoot the other team by 15-20 shots a game style is exactly the same one they use...

Albeit with more talented overall rosters...

As far as 1-0 games go, I didn't find it boring. There were moments, but Buffalo carried the play, had 42 shots and were deserved of the win.

Lindy Ruff, say what you will, but he is using Tyler Myers in all situations whereas most coaches would plant their rookie on the bench.

Up 1 zip, and Myers is out there with the game on the line. He made two real nice plays only to have Vanek choke and keep the pressure on them.

I watched Myers all night and he is really impressing me. I've watched him plenty here in Kelowna but his poise is outstanding for this level. He's up in the play when the opportunity arises and making nice plays with the disc.

Kennedy played well too, but I recall the play where Harry and Rick went gaga on a wraparound, Myers was coasting into the faceoff dot with nobody on him, his stick cocked and ready to blast away, only to find the pass didn't come.

Great win, and if Myers doesn't make the team, then I will be calling for management's head because the kid is good enough to stay and is a top notch player who is only going to get better.

Sabres have more points on the season than goals...At least Miller isn't getting shelled, but wait until Tuesday. If they can outshoot Detroit, by a decent margin, then I'll be impressed. They don't have to worry about Franzen. Hopefully Lydman will be able to go to replace Sekera. This should keep Myers here but I think his play would have warranted him staying anyway.

Great win, and if Myers doesn't make the team, then I will be calling for management's head because the kid is good enough to stay and is a top notch player who is only going to get better.

If Sekera really is out for a long period of time, they have to keep him, regardless of the implications when all of their D-men are healthy. Sending him back, and forcing Ruff to play Paetsch or bring up Weber to replace Sekera would be a joke, and a GIGANTIC step down.

Game thoughts...

- Grier is not going to score many goals, but is was great to see one of the few, count when it was really needed!

- The Sabres except for a few lapses played pretty well in their own zone and for the most part controlled the play.

- Rinne was unbelievable and deserved a better fate. That being said, sooner or later the Sabres have to start scoring.

- Not much physical play tonight...even from Kaleta.

- Another strong game from Stafford who continues to be one of the best forwards on the ice.

- I need to see more from Connolly. It's not any good if he's healthy but invisible.

- I thought Vanek was more involved tonight. By far the best of his efforts in this brief season to date.

- Harry Neale for the first time in three years actually made me laugh..."The fans in the all you can eat zone are hoping for overtime" :lol:

- Miller with very solid play and not a lot of rebounds when he was tested.

- I am impressed with Montador's ability to skate the puck out of the zone, but I'd like to see him be more physical. I know he is willing to drop the gloves, but I want to see him be physical along the boards.

- Kennedy with a very nice game and seemed like a good fit between Hecht and Grier.

- Gaustad while overpaid, is a much better fit on the 4th line.

GO SABRES!!!

Wow! I was totally impressed by this game. I thought the Sabres played really well tonight, and I have no complaints at all. Even though it was a 1-0 game, I thought the Sabres played really well, carried the play, put the puck on net, and played hard and tough. I loved the game.

And all the credit in the world goes to Pekka Rinne. He was absolutely marvelous in net tonight. He made some really acrobatic saves and kept his team in the game. Unlike many nights in the past where we like to say the Sabres made the other goalie look good, tonight was not the case. Rinne was absolutely outstanding tonight and stood on his head with some fantastic saves, especially the one he made on Myers shot from the point where he was sitting down. Incredible save.

PA, Miller showed you up tonight. He made some huge saves, and made the huge breakaway save while the Sabres were on the PP. Miller played really well and came up with some big saves, and the defense in front of him played really well tonight only allowing 25 shots on goal. I really like the way the Sabres are playing defensively so far, and I like their play.

Tim Kennedy is also here to stay. He was absolutely fantastic tonight creating a ton of chances and played well defensively as well. He gets the assist on the Grier goal for his first point in the NHL. Kennedy was awesome tonight.

With the Sekera injury, it looks like Myers will not be going anywhere and will be with Buffalo past the 9 game mark as from the replay, it looked like Sekera either hurt his shoulder or broke his arm. Not that it matters because Myers's play has not warranted sending him back to juniors as he has been one of if not the best defenseman for the Sabres in the first three games. But, nonetheless, he's going to stay with the injury and hopefully Lydman will be back to play against Detroit.

Overall, I thought the Sabres played much better than the score indicated, and I was very happy with the performance tonight. If not for Rinne, the Sabres would have won by a much larger margin, but he was fantastic for Nashville. Great win and now we face Detroit without Franzen.

So, how did the lines wind up?

1. Vanek-Roy-Stafford

2. JJ Pommers-Connolly-MacArthur

3. Hecht-Kennedy-Grier

4. Kaleta-Ellis-Guastad

Butler/Rivet

Tallinder/Myers

Montador/Sekera

Is that about right?

So, how did the lines wind up?

1. Vanek-Roy-Stafford

2. JJ Pommers-Connolly-MacArthur

3. Hecht-Kennedy-Grier

4. Kaleta-Ellis-Guastad

Butler/Rivet

Tallinder/Myers

Montador/Sekera

Is that about right?

Sekera got hurt and did not play in the third, so they rotated all 5 guys, but yes, pretty much that's how it looked. The last 30 seconds with a faceoff in the Sabres zone, Lindy put Hecht-Gaustad-Grier out there to clamp down and win the game, but aside from that the lines above are pretty much accurate.

In his 3rd NHL game, Tyler Myers already is leading all Sabres in ice time with almost 25 minutes...

If that doesn't speak volumes about how Ruff feels about this kid, I don't know what does...

Myers=stud for the next 10 years

Robitaille is already comparing him with Pronger and saying he is better than Pronger was at this stage of his career...

In his 3rd NHL game, Tyler Myers already is leading all Sabres in ice time with almost 25 minutes...

If that doesn't speak volumes about how Ruff feels about this kid, I don't know what does...

Robitaille is already comparing him with Pronger and saying he is better than Pronger was at this stage of his career...

Nice compliment

Sabres are averaging outshooting their opponents by over 16 shots a game so far...Has Lindy adopted something he has learned from coaching with Mike Babcock with Team Canada? This is basically Detroit's method of playing...outshoot the opponents by a ton each game, limit chances and eventually win...

I'll take that the whole season and all the way through to the hoisting of the Stanley Cup.

Let's just hope they pay him when the contract comes due, else we'll have another Campbell situation on our hands.

Archived