Stafford In The Fold

Rip Titwide

Everyone wants Stafford to be more consistent, but with his past performance in mind and comparable contracts recently signed, I'd be surprised/pleased if Darcy got him for 2 years 5 mil. 2 years 6 mil, I'm a little pissed and anything more than that, I'm unhappy!

I see it just about the same way. Maybe I'm a little cheaper, but not by much.

Everyone wants Stafford to be more consistent, but with his past performance in mind and comparable contracts recently signed, I'd be surprised/pleased if Darcy got him for 2 years 5 mil. 2 years 6 mil, I'm a little pissed and anything more than that, I'm unhappy!

Please see my post in the other thread. It's 2 years at $4 million. First year at $1.5 million and second year at $2.5 million. Great signing by Darcy. Here's the source: http://www.buffalonews.com/buffalosabres/story/794382.html

Yeah, that's not too bad at all.

I guess I was afraid they'd sign him to something like 3 a year or so.

It looks like they called his bluff and he eventually caved. Now he has to go out and show that he's worth the money he was asking for. Two years is probably the perfect amount of time for that.

Just another contract that illustrstes how bad Hecht's contract is and how he won't be going anywhere unless Buffalo gives up something good and convinces other team to take Hechtto get what they really want.

I always thought that Hecht's deal was bad, but to be fair, it didn't look as bad 2 years ago. His play and the changing market has really stuck Buffalo with this deal. Just another bad job of not being out in front of the market.

As I said in the other thread - a real nice deal for both parties. I think Stafford and DR ought to get props for it. Funny, though, this means that Stafford initially wanted more, and DR was offering less!

Or Stafford wanted more but this was exactly what Darcy was offering. Or Darcy offered less and this is exactly what Stafford wanted. There's any number of possibilities. I wouldn't rule out my first scenario.

As I said in the other thread - a real nice deal for both parties. I think Stafford and DR ought to get props for it. Funny, though, this means that Stafford initially wanted more, and DR was offering less!

IMO, a few years ago he would have got much more. But not today.

Very nice deal by Regier. The Sabres should have some decent room to make a move or 2 next summer. Something of signifigance. If they will choose to is another question but they will have the money space for a move. And if Regier somehow gets rid of Hecht during this season and off the books for next year, Sabres could be one of the bigger players next summer.

Just another contract that illustrstes how bad Hecht's contract is and how he won't be going anywhere unless Buffalo gives up something good and convinces other team to take Hechtto get what they really want.

I always thought that Hecht's deal was bad, but to be fair, it didn't look as bad 2 years ago. His play and the changing market has really stuck Buffalo with this deal. Just another bad job of not being out in front of the market.

I agree 100% that Hecht's contract is a debacle, but to be fair, Stafford's situation isn't really comparable. He was an RFA who won't be UFA for several more years, while Hecht was coming up on UFA.

Very nice deal by Regier. The Sabres should have some decent room to make a move or 2 next summer. Something of signifigance. If they will choose to is another question but they will have the money space for a move. And if Regier somehow gets rid of Hecht during this season and off the books for next year, Sabres could be one of the bigger players next summer.

Love the optimism, but the day the Sabres are big players in free agency is the day Darcy sprouts wings and flies to meet with the FAs.

And he will play like a Hall of Famer for the next two years and sign with another team for millions and millions and that will be last we hear of him

Yeah, it ought to be interesting when his contract is up. Isn't that when the CBA expires? GMs are expecting the cap to do down as far as I understand it. If he plays well, then he'll ask for a pretty penny at the worst time. Of course, though, after this season we drop some players - if he shows promise this season maybe DR could extend the contract a few years during the off season.

Archived