Stafford In The Fold

Rip Titwide

At least the team will get something in return for him if they can't afford to sign him again!

This one made me curious so I had to look at some of the contracts. Excluding any of the prospects they signed this year (Myers, eventually Ennis, etc...) they have only Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Hecht, Guastad, and Miller signed beyond that season. There is going to be quite a bit of remodeling of this team over that time, especially on the blue line.

Isn't there something about being eligible for UFA after their first contract in which they are a restricted free agent? Thought there was something other than a pure 7 years or age 27.

No, it's 27/7 years for any regular NHL player. There are a few other categories, but Stafford doesn't even come close.

This one made me curious so I had to look at some of the contracts. Excluding any of the prospects they signed this year (Myers, eventually Ennis, etc...) they have only Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Hecht, Guastad, and Miller signed beyond that season. There is going to be quite a bit of remodeling of this team over that time, especially on the blue line.

You had to include Hecht in that group; didn't you. :angry:

And he will play like a Hall of Famer for the next two years and sign with another team for millions and millions and that will be last we hear of him

Heck, I'll be ok with that.

So far, it's not like the guys we've let go have had tons of success where they've ended up.

I actually think Dumont is the most succesful I can think of, right off the top of my head?

Briere, Drury, Campbell, McKee were all great contributors for the Sabres, but have all fell short of expectations with their new teams, or even worse.

Not to split hairs, but his deal is a 2 year contract worth $3.8 million. He will make $1.5 million this season and $2.3 million in 2010-11.

I was actually going to update my original post and post this. The fact that it's only $3.8 million is even better. Darcy really got a great contract on this deal, no matter what anyone says. I was expecting somewhere in the $2.5-$3.5 million range and he signed for a cap hit that's less than $2 million. That's unbelievable.

He will, however, be eligible for arbitration, correct?

Right.

I knew there was another negative out there. If they don't accept the arbitration award then he would be an UFA. Of course the arbitrator might give him a 1 year deal so he would have another year as a RFA.

I knew there was another negative out there. If they don't accept the arbitration award then he would be an UFA. Of course the arbitrator might give him a 1 year deal so he would have another year as a RFA.

Now it's my turn with the question: Doesn't the arbitrator have to give a one-year deal? IIRC, they are precluded from awarding longer deals.

I may not be recalling correctly, though.

Now it's my turn with the question: Doesn't the arbitrator have to give a one-year deal? IIRC, they are precluded from awarding longer deals.

I may not be recalling correctly, though.

They can give out a 2 year deal if the player is 2 years away from UFA status. I have no idea if that has ever actually happened or not.

They can give out a 2 year deal if the player is 2 years away from UFA status. I have no idea if that has ever actually happened or not.

Mike Cammalleri was awarded a 2 year arbitration deal by his arbitrator while he was with the Kings. He was traded before last season to Calgary before signing as a UFA with Montreal this past offseason. Here's the article from 2007 when it happened: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/kings/2007-08-07-cammalleri-arbitration_N.htm

I don't know how often the two year award is given, but I do know Mike Cammalleri was awarded a 2 year deal by the arbitrator.

Archived